DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

November Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: November Criterion Sale

Originally Posted by FilmJunkie29
So a strange thing happened today. I stopped in to Barnes and Noble to pick up The Passion of Joan of Arc with the 25% off coupon, and the coupon rang up as 75% off instead. When the cashier said the price was $5.41, I told her she was wrong, that it should be at least $10 more. I tried explaining it to her several more times, but she wouldn't listen. It's the first time I've ever gotten into an argument with someone over getting something cheaper. In the end, she won, and I told her I should have picked out something more expensive, to which she laughed. Here's how the receipt looked:

Criterion Collection: Jo
0037429139820 T1
(1 @ 39.99) PROMO New Price
(1 @ 20.00) Item Cpn 75% (15.00)
(1 @ 5.00) 5.00

Subtotal 5.00
Sales Tax T1 (8.250%) 0.41
TOTAL 5.41
VISA 5.41

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm going back tomorrow to try again.
that's crazy!! i hope it'll happen to me tomorrow when i go there for my probably final purchase

btw, it goes to anyone, i'm sure gonna pick up Black Narcissus tomorrow based on everybody's recommendation here. 2 more i should pick that's is not more than $39.99? any recommendations?

House? How about Kapo? The Red Shoes? Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence? M? Paris, Texas? Ride with the Devil? The Wages of Fear?
Old 11-14-10, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an accompaniment to Black Narcissus, I'd definitely add The Red Shoes, then Paris, Texas or maybe M or The Wages of Fear...
Old 11-14-10, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Red Shoes and Paris, Tx definitely. That would be a killer 3 to pick up.
Old 11-14-10, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Hodson
As an accompaniment to Black Narcissus, I'd definitely add The Red Shoes, then Paris, Texas or maybe M or The Wages of Fear...
Originally Posted by jrsl76
Red Shoes and Paris, Tx definitely. That would be a killer 3 to pick up.
Thanks. I know what i'm gonna pick tomorrow then
Old 11-14-10, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Picked up the AK-100 25 film Kurosawa collection - used the 25% coupon just fine. $135 after 10% member discount. Not a bad price for the collection at all. Now to unload Sanjuro and Yojimbo from the past :-)
FYI - The AK-100 collection doesn't include all of the bonus content that comes on the individual Criterion releases. Not sure if that matters to you.
Old 11-14-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pathman
FYI - The AK-100 collection doesn't include all of the bonus content that comes on the individual Criterion releases. Not sure if that matters to you.
thanks, Pathman...I was aware of this..I am not a Bonus features person...am in it just for the feature. With Criterions excellent restorations, the features are all I want. And at a price of less than $6 a feature, it perfectly fills my need. But thank you for letting me know.
Old 11-14-10, 10:44 AM

I have to admit that I wasn't going to spend that much on this B&N sale...but it seems like more and more people (inc. B&N employees) are thinking this may be the last sale that I pretty figured, what the hell...I better get things now if it's the last. My original goal was to get the remaining Kurosawa, Renoir, Jarmusch, Bergman and Ozu releases I have yet to get. Got most of what I wanted except the Renoir set and "La bete humain".

But if this is going to be the last major sale, I figured I'd better get the sets that I want now..If anything, this sale was pretty much getting caught up on Criterion's Eclipse Series. I had many of them already but the only one I didn't buy was the documentaries of Louis Malle. I set a budget and unfortunately both the Malle Eclipse set and the Renoirs were on short list.

I will say that the only thing I really, really wanted but was unable to get was Ozu's "The Story of Floating Weeds/Floating Weeds" (anyone see it at their B&N store??? Not the Essential Arthouse version) since it's not offered online, nor did they have it at our store.

Anyway, one more week left for this sale but I'm done.
Old 11-14-10, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Justinmilkman87
Can someone enlighten me on the best way to get America Lost & Found: The BBS Story Blu-ray for cheap while the sale is still going on? It'd be much appreciated!
A few people have had their B&N salesperson override the pre-order and apply the 50% off sale + the 25% off coupon and will have it shipped to them for free (for those who are members).
Old 11-14-10, 11:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I'm down to needing about 25 titles, app. half OOP, to complete the collection. I guess I'll bite the bullet and start scouring ebay and places for the OOP titles. Anyone have any other tips on finding those?
Old 11-14-10, 11:45 AM

Well your chances of getting it for 50% are pretty slim, but it's possible. Your best bet is to go to your local BN tommorrow with the 25% off coupon. It says it isn't valid for pre-orders, but it's another YMMV situation. I pre-ordered BBS, Videodrome & Cronos all with the coupon. I ended up paying about $75 after tax, not spectacular, but the best price I've seen other than Lasermovies' getting it as part of the 50% off sale.
Originally Posted by kndy
A few people have had their B&N salesperson override the pre-order and apply the 50% off sale + the 25% off coupon and will have it shipped to them for free (for those who are members).
Thanks fellas. I'll try it next time I go in, it's worth a shot!
Old 11-14-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kndy
I have to admit that I wasn't going to spend that much on this B&N sale...but it seems like more and more people (inc. B&N employees) are thinking this may be the last sale that I pretty figured, what the hell...I better get things now if it's the last.
50 percent off Criterion sales have come and gone with ALWAYS the questions around whether there will be another one. Criterion has a very different business model than the big boys. The big boys take a price reduction typically 9-12 weeks into the selling cycle and then another one typically around the 24 week mark (naturally it depends on the sales of the specific release). Criterion typically does not take a price reduction. This results in B&N not featuring Criterion catalog releases after initial release and more limited end-of-aisle displays or the like. The net-net of it is that Criterion titles typically gather dust on shelves AFTER their initial release other than special sales or coupons. So, unless Criterion changes their pricing model or B&N changes their selling approach one could reasonably expect that these sales will continue.
Old 11-14-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just when I thought that I began to understand BN's new pricing structure regarding BluRay ($39.99 SRP) vs. SD ($29.99 SRP), I was looking at The Night of the Hunter online and I see that it's priced at $49.99 BR and $39.99 SD. Is this an anomaly?...I see Modern Times is $39.99 BR and $29.99 SD. What's going on?
Old 11-14-10, 12:55 PM

I couldn't find anything about this previously posted, but has anyone had any luck with in store orders with home delivery using the 25% of coupon?
Old 11-14-10, 12:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Just when I thought that I began to understand BN's new pricing structure regarding BluRay ($39.99 SRP) vs. SD ($29.99 SRP), I was looking at The Night of the Hunter online and I see that it's priced at $49.99 BR and $39.99 SD. Is this an anomaly?...I see Modern Times is $39.99 BR and $29.99 SD. What's going on?
The two disc set BDs are $50.
Old 11-14-10, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
50 percent off Criterion sales have come and gone with ALWAYS the questions around whether there will be another one. Criterion has a very different business model than the big boys. The big boys take a price reduction typically 9-12 weeks into the selling cycle and then another one typically around the 24 week mark (naturally it depends on the sales of the specific release). Criterion typically does not take a price reduction. This results in B&N not featuring Criterion catalog releases after initial release and more limited end-of-aisle displays or the like. The net-net of it is that Criterion titles typically gather dust on shelves AFTER their initial release other than special sales or coupons. So, unless Criterion changes their pricing model or B&N changes their selling approach one could reasonably expect that these sales will continue.
Agreed. Could this be the last? Anything is possible. But, someone will have these on sale at some point in the future. Will we always get $13~ BDs? Probably not...I'm shocked that loophole hasn't been closed already. I remember back with the 45% off DVDPlanet sales, people were scooping up hundreds of dollars worth of product with the thought that "we'll never see prices this low again." B&N has to be making money off of this (otherwise why continue it?), so I don't see why it would end. Terms and conditions could change (as we've already seen), but to the regular non-coupon, non-member public, they are selling DVDs for $20.

The fact that Criterion promotes this on their own site, Facebook page, etc. only adds to the possibility of continuance of the sale as there seems to be a good relationship that has developed between the two.

Again, these are just my opinions and I'm just a regular B&N customer, but as we've seen around these threads, it sounds like these stores are moving a lot of product out the door.

EDIT: And, while we're at it, I expect to see you all in the 2011 Criterion Challenge.
Old 11-14-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm down to needing about 25 titles, app. half OOP, to complete the collection. I guess I'll bite the bullet and start scouring ebay and places for the OOP titles. Anyone have any other tips on finding those?
Ugh, I'm so jealous. I've been collecting Criterions DVDs (and now Blus) since they first came out in 1998 and I'm only around 215 - 220 of the titles. Still I've upgraded quite a few (Seven Samurai 3 times now - Original 1st print with the restoration featurette, Remaster, Blu) titles. Maybe one of these days, particularly if we keep getting these amazing sales. I need time anyway. I still need to watch a number of my Criterions.
Old 11-14-10, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
50 percent off Criterion sales have come and gone with ALWAYS the questions around whether there will be another one.
Well, if Borders buys B&N in 2011, I don't know...I'm not too familiar with how Borders sales are. We'll there's always Deep Discount, although it may take 2-3 months to get our stuff. Hehe...

Originally Posted by Trevor
eBay is probably your best chance. Did you manage to get the Essential Arthouse OOP titles (the ones that were not released on Criterion or via Eclipse). This sale I was pretty much going for a lot of Eclipse...although I still have to get the Louis Malle set (not interested in the Flamenco set).

Last edited by kndy; 11-14-10 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-14-10, 04:36 PM

I had no luck getting America Lost & Found (blu) as part of the 50% off sale. I actually asked at more than one location last week. So I went ahead with the 25% off coupon from the $90 pre-order price. Around $73, not bad, but not great. Yes, it would be cheaper in a future 50% off sale, but who knows if that will happen. Plus, I'm actually pretty hungry for this set.

Considering the questionable future of B&N, I'm not renewing my membership (expires on the 30th) until this sale definitely happens again, if it happens again. I'm trying to get what I can this time.
Old 11-14-10, 04:50 PM

Well, I decided to print out that 25% off non-member coupon. I made two copies hoping it would work. Location 1 - success. I got the Darjeeling Limited Blu for $15 and paid $20 for the Days of Heaven Blu. Location 2- also a success. Picked up Eyes Without a Face DVD for $15 and Crumb Blu-ray for $15. If the coupon didn't expire tomorrow, I might have tried my luck later in the week. Anyway, Criterion Blu's for $15? I'm stoked.
Old 11-14-10, 05:04 PM

Ugh, I'm so jealous. I've been collecting Criterions DVDs (and now Blus) since they first came out in 1998 and I'm only around 215 - 220 of the titles. Still I've upgraded quite a few (Seven Samurai 3 times now - Original 1st print with the restoration featurette, Remaster, Blu) titles. Maybe one of these days, particularly if we keep getting these amazing sales. I need time anyway. I still need to watch a number of my Criterions.
I've been collecting since the beginning as well. I see no need to "complete" the collection since not all of the films are interesting to me. Also, i'm sure there are several titles that would be questionable as "important" films.
Old 11-14-10, 05:49 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Ran into my first issues tonight.... Went in intending to get get Down By Lawn (list on B&N.com is 24.99)and Stranger Than Paradise. Was going to use 25% off on Down and $5 off on Stranger. The list price in store for Down was 39.99. I show the cashier the website that the LIST (not sale) price is suppose to be 24.99, then gets 2 managers to come over, who at first was going to override it. Then one said they can't do that and have to go by what the in store list price is. They then started investigating the fine print on the $5 coupon saying it wouldnt take it off because it'd be less than $20. I said just try it. They did and it worked of course. So then they offered to order Down By Law off the website and use my coupon. So I just did that and got jipped on my in store 10%
Old 11-14-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

This sale I've been focusing on box sets since the 25% coupons are usually only in November sale.

Ended up with (prices walk-out w/ tax):

Aki Kaurismaki's Proletariat Trilogy (Eclipse 12) $16.43
Post-War Kurosawa (Eclipse 7) $24.58
The Human Condition $29.22
John Cassavetes: Five Films $45.67
3 Films by Louis Malle $30 [Third party seller]

Total: $145.90 (24 discs [$6.08 each], 19 feature films [$7.68 each])

Struggling with financial guilt...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-14-10 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-14-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Overheard in the upper east side location today:

Dad, age around 45 (points to bin of Criterions marked 50% off) : "What are these?"
Son, age around 17 (rifles through bin) : "These look like... independent movies. They're all small movies. They're movies like I could make."
Dad: "Yeah, that's why they're 50% off. I bet your French teacher would like this crap."
Old 11-14-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by illennium
" I bet your French teacher would like this crap."
They should put this quote on all of the Criterion cases.
Old 11-14-10, 07:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The Cary, NC B&N is extremely customer friendly regarding multiple coupon uses and great knowledge about the films, as well as pointing out the price point where you save more with that 25% coupon. It's not just one cashier, it appears to be the entire department (at least four different cashiers between this sale and the one last summer). They also have one of the best selections of DVD's & blu-rays and are more than happy to special order anything that's not on the shelves. They are now my one-stop shop for B&N (and ironically, the closest one to my house). --Peter

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.