DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Old 06-30-10, 05:20 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Durham, NC USA
Posts: 994
BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Sorry if this has already been posted (I couldn't find it).

Just got back from my local grocery store and the giant Red Box was starting at me, and on the screen it said "Rent or Buy?"

I didn't realize I could BUY DVDs from Redbox.

They charge $1/day to rent, or $5 to buy.

Of course, what is the condition of these rentals? And I have no idea of what the return process is if they are badly scratched/unplayable.

But it was intriguing.. If they ever get to buy for $3, then they may have me..

also, they started renting Blu Ray discs.. only a couple.. but they have started.

Perhaps in the future we can buy BR Red Box rentals for $5? ahh..THAT would be interesting.
Steve is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 06:45 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 100
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Ive bought 4 of them so far and they were in very good condition. I would buy again mostley because they were about a month old or less from getting released on dvd.

The only thing that sucks no cover art or regular case.
seriousmill is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 08:04 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SALEM, OR
Posts: 1,482
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Originally Posted by seriousmill View Post
The only thing that sucks no cover art or regular case.
Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me.
izatright is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 08:16 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,475
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

I've noticed that the Redbox at my local walmart is now "blue." Does this mean that the blue colored Redbox's are going to be the ones to carry blurays?
Drav3n is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 08:33 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 1,027
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Originally Posted by seriousmill View Post
Ive bought 4 of them so far and they were in very good condition. I would buy again mostley because they were about a month old or less from getting released on dvd.

The only thing that sucks no cover art or regular case.
that's good enough reasons not to buy from Red Box for me
newginafets is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 08:45 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,902
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Originally Posted by newginafets View Post
that's good enough reasons not to buy from Red Box for me
I've got a bazillion empty DVD cases - both Amaray and Thinpak - and printing covers from cdcovers.cc or any of a handful of other sites is a snap, so this isn't as much a deal breaker for me as it is for most.

Yeah, I know, "goody for you, Kenbuzz", but it's true. It's true, I tell ya! Ever be thinking about shrimp, or a plate, or a plate of shrimp? Well, you are now! Ha!
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 09:45 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 1,027
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I've got a bazillion empty DVD cases - both Amaray and Thinpak - and printing covers from cdcovers.cc or any of a handful of other sites is a snap, so this isn't as much a deal breaker for me as it is for most.

Yeah, I know, "goody for you, Kenbuzz", but it's true. It's true, I tell ya! Ever be thinking about shrimp, or a plate, or a plate of shrimp? Well, you are now! Ha!
hahaha yeah but i don't have any good printer (let alone good printer, my printer now has no ink!). I prefer original cover, printing and buying empty cases are too much hassle for me
newginafets is offline  
Old 06-30-10, 10:33 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 452
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

At $5 for a previously viewed CD plus the cost of a DVD case and the ink you use up if you try to get close to a professional cover, chances are you could just buy a complete used copy for the same price, I'd imagine.

I had to consider something similar for some used video games and it was just cheaper to hunt down the empty box with original cover art rather than try to recreate it myself.
kodave is offline  
Old 07-01-10, 01:15 PM
  #9  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,215
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Originally Posted by kodave View Post
At $5 for a previously viewed CD plus the cost of a DVD case and the ink you use up if you try to get close to a professional cover, chances are you could just buy a complete used copy for the same price, I'd imagine.

I had to consider something similar for some used video games and it was just cheaper to hunt down the empty box with original cover art rather than try to recreate it myself.
We're talking pennies for the case and ink, but I still agree with you. There are very few films that are not $5 or less within a year or two.
Trevor is offline  
Old 07-01-10, 03:10 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,472
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
I've noticed that the Redbox at my local walmart is now "blue." Does this mean that the blue colored Redbox's are going to be the ones to carry blurays?
Are you sure it didn't change to a Blockbuster kiosk? Those are typically blue.
BJacks is offline  
Old 07-01-10, 03:14 PM
  #11  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,638
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

Originally Posted by BJacks View Post
Are you sure it didn't change to a Blockbuster kiosk? Those are typically blue.
No, Walmart has RedBox brand. And they are blue, I've seen them too.

Edit: Looks like they just did it to match the Walmart blue color (which is weird, as it seems like Walmart stores are getting away from that color)


Last edited by The Cow; 07-01-10 at 03:17 PM.
The Cow is offline  
Old 07-01-10, 09:52 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 143
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

No case is fine, but no artwork is another matter. Plus, not being able to inspect the disc before buying. Maybe for 3.00 if it was something i really wanted to just watch more than once.
KrazyJason is offline  
Old 07-02-10, 10:43 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Durham, NC USA
Posts: 994
Re: BUYING Redbox DVDS?

However, for new releases this does turn out to be cheaper than BBV.

Perhaps if we would buy a new release as soon as it was available in the box, then it would be in pretty good shape.

but yes, no art work makes it almost impossible for resale value.
Steve is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.