(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Criterion Sale? Ever Again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Criterion Sale? Ever Again? (NOW ACTIVE/ALIVE AT B&N)

Originally Posted by MarkHarrill
Those are actually Disney releases with a Criterion banner while Bottle Rocket is distributed by Criterion.
That's sort of what I figured, but then again I thought I saw Life Aquatic on sale in-store during the last sale. Maybe they'll be added to the sale once the "Buy 2, get a 3rd free" DVD sale ends, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 07-12-10, 09:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I thought Criterion already confirmed that we would be seeing those 4 films as stand alones down the road. You do what you like, but in this case I think patience is a virtue.
Originally Posted by kndy
It depends on your preference. For me...not really. It's good if you haven't owned that many Kurosawa Criterions and you want a better value (because at that price right now for the sale, that's pretty cheap) but I enjoy the special features (Criterion has spoiled me on that) that have been on the individual releases in the Criterion Collection thus far.
Yeah, I am a bit of a special features junkie. I'll keep collecting the individual releases and hope for the future release of the others. If not, I'll find them via rental or something. Thanks to both of you!
Old 07-12-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I still have not made a single order. I was all set to do a order with a $5/$5/$5 coupon until I found out it kills the 10% library discount. I'm probably going to wait until the store sale starts to see what happens with the $5 coupons.
Same here. I have the titles that I want on reserve at my local store. Hopefully I'll encounter a mellow cashier that will accept multiple coupons/transactions.
Old 07-12-10, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I noticed was that the items I was looking for this sale were several bucks more higher than they were in November during the Winter Criterion 50% off sale.

I just had a talk with B&N Customer Service and I told them what is the main difference with having a membership card now because I don’t see the 10% off pricing for members anymore, like before.

According to customer service, the changes were made several months ago and the main difference now is that members get coupons and also free express shipping while non-members must order $25 or more to get free shipping.

The 10% off for being a member was no longer valid because the books are being discounted. But you get the coupons. I think this is for online only...I believe in-store discounts still exist.

Personally, I have already benefited with the membership card since the last Criterion November sale with the membership card and coupons but for those planning to get the membership card now and don’t plan to buy from B&N (or until the next sale)... It’s up to you, because now with these third party stores...it may not be worth it. Again, it's great if you continually purchase from the store but as far as I can tell, there are non-member coupons and now you have a choice to use the various third party B&N stores for more savings.

So really, you don’t have to be a member (if you are spending over $25) because going to AAA, Library or the Visa link will give your discount 10% off discount and you also have coupons out there you can use as a non-member or even sign up as a new member to the site and use the 20% off coupon (off one item).

Last edited by kndy; 07-12-10 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I know that many of you here know all the codes and ways around things pretty well, so here's a question that I know will benefit many people, especially me. I bought a B&N membership this year in anticipation of this sale. The problem I have is that the nearest B&N is 30-45 minutes away from me and I have no idea whether or not they will stack coupons. So if they don't stack the coupons, the $5 coupon per Blu-ray would no longer be all that beneficial because all the time and the gas expense. So, I might have to do most of my ordering online.

All that leads me to this question: when ordering online, what would be the absolute cheapest price for a Blu-ray marked down to $19.99? I figure it would be with the library link and the 15% off coupon (assuming you've already used the 20% off one), but I wasn't sure if I maybe forgot about another code or method.

I'm just hoping my store will stack those $5 off coupons.

For those who have successfully stacked the coupons, any tips?
Old 07-12-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
Hopefully you haven't placed the order yet. Use the Boeing Bookstore link. The total discount works out to only being 60 cents less, but you get free shipping. Your total will be $18.59 plus tax.
Nice! I didn't notice that link on the list when I browsed it earlier. Thanks for that.
Old 07-12-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
All that leads me to this question: when ordering online, what would be the absolute cheapest price for a Blu-ray marked down to $19.99? I figure it would be with the library link and the 15% off coupon (assuming you've already used the 20% off one), but I wasn't sure if I maybe forgot about another code or method.
Library Link won't get you free shipping if under $25. Best bet is to create another account and use the 20% coupon again with the Boeing or ND link. You'll get a 7% discount with free shipping. Should be $14.87 + tax.

I'm just hoping my store will stack those $5 off coupons.

Be nice! Engage them in conversation about the sale. Offer to do multiple transactions. Don't try to "stack" more than 3-4 titles in one visit. Watch for shift change nearby or at the inside Starbucks. Hit 'em again. In the end, YMMV.
Old 07-12-10, 09:50 PM

Btw...for those who need a Criterion Collection excel spreadsheet for their cell phones if they plan to do in-store or even look online to help decide in what to get, you can use mine. I incorporated Ebert, Maltin's and the Criterion Top 10 picks as well.
Old 07-12-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I really hate to make posts like this, but I'm going to give it a shot. out of the following, which do you guys consider "must owns"?

8 1/2
Bigger Than Life
Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Days of Heaven
El Norte
Gimme Shelter

Howard's End
In the Realm of the Senses
Kagemusha
Last Year At Marienbad
Lola Montès
Ride With the Devil
Vivre Sa Vie
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Old 07-12-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

DON'T BE GREEDY!!! That's the quickest way to get turned away. I'm going in tomorrow to pick up the War Trilogy, Everlasting Moments, and Red Desert (I put them on hold today) and will take 1 each of the $5 off $50 and $5 off 1 DVD. I've never been declined when just saying, "hey, i got these coupons in an email this weekend too...they should work, right? It says before any discounts!" be nice, friendly, chatty, and should be good to go.

DO NOT walk up with 10 dvds and 10 coupons though. they'll laugh you out of the store. I intend to just go in every other day or so with one or two coupons and get one or two at a time. Thankfully, my new place is 5 minutes from a store that stocks everything.
Old 07-12-10, 10:40 PM

I really hate to make posts like this, but I'm going to give it a shot. out of the following, which do you guys consider "must owns"?

8 1/2
Bigger Than Life
Days of Heaven
El Norte
Gimme Shelter
Howard's End
Kagemusha
Last Year At Marienbad
Lola Montès
Ride With the Devil
Vivre sa vie
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Top Three: 8 1/2, Last Year at Marienbad, and Days of Heaven
Old 07-12-10, 10:47 PM

8 1/2
Bigger Than Life
Days of Heaven
El Norte
Gimme Shelter
Howard's End
Kagemusha
Last Year At Marienbad
Lola Montès
Ride With the Devil
Vivre Sa Vie
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Old 07-12-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

8 1/2-Essential Fellini
Bigger Than Life
Complete Monterey Pop Festival--If you like music from the 60s, this is a must-own
Days of Heaven
El Norte
Gimme Shelter-Pretty much the coda for the 60s and an important historical document
Howard's End
Kagemusha-Awesome Kurosawa
Last Year At Marienbad-A movie you can watch over and over and always find something new
Lola Montès
Ride With the Devil
Vivre Sa Vie
Yojimbo & Sanjuro-Yojimbo is a magnificent action film/ Sanjuro not so much

Last edited by Gobear; 07-12-10 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by deet
FWIW, it's possible that B&M stores might still have the recently OOP Criterions in stock, even if they're no longer listed at barnesandnoble.com. Just spotted The Man Who Fell to Earth Blu-ray at one store.
I managed to find Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Port of Shadows, and Diary of a County Priest in my area using online search and reserved them on hold. Last winter I was lucky to snatch up Ran, which seemed to wait unwanted for some time while I debated.

I think there's also a copy of Port of Shadows left at the Arboretum in Austin, TX.
Old 07-12-10, 11:04 PM

I ordered the following

Black Narcissus
Days of Heaven
Monsoon Wedding
Stagecoach

Made into two orders - used my AAA membership and the 15% off a single Blu Ray on each order
Old 07-12-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi, I was just wondering if amazon has ever price-matched their criterions in reponse to this sale?
Old 07-12-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
Hi, I was just wondering if amazon has ever price-matched their criterions in reponse to this sale?
They did last year.
Old 07-12-10, 11:29 PM

I did one order with a single DVD. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse. $15.91 with the Boeing store discount and new account 20% discount. I may go back for one or two others.

Last edited by mhanlen1; 07-13-10 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
Originally Posted by Gobear
They did last year.
from my recollection, the amazon prices were a couple of dollars per title higher after all b & n discounts/coupons.
Old 07-12-10, 11:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhanlen1
I did one order with a single DVD. The Testament of Dr. Mabuse. $15.91 with the Boeing store discount and new member 20% discount. I may go back for one or two others.
What an awesome movie. I just saw that for the first time recently.
Old 07-12-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Rossellini War Trilogy for $30 and change.

It was a bit of pain and I don't see myself doing it for all the titles that I need. I may go in store and get that instant gratification.

Also, anyone get any of the non-member discount coupons to work on The Red Shoes? I had no luck I assume because it was a pre-order.
Old 07-13-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
... What company would replace a disc anyway? How did it get scratched? ...
Both Universal Studios and Walt Disney Studios have a disk replacement program for consumer damaged DVDs (and yes, it was damaged on my end). The bottom line is that I spent $30 for the DVD and Criterion ignored me when I asked about a disk replacement program. Poor customer service to not even respond to my email.

I understand that this is a Criterion Sale and not a Criterion Sucks thread so this is my last post in this thread.
Old 07-13-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hades321
I ordered the following
Black Narcissus
I believe you should be able to get this cheaper by waiting until it is actually released so that you can apply a coupon to it.
Old 07-13-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brizz
DON'T BE GREEDY!!! That's the quickest way to get turned away. I'm going in tomorrow to pick up the War Trilogy, Everlasting Moments, and Red Desert (I put them on hold today) and will take 1 each of the $5 off $50 and $5 off 1 DVD. I've never been declined when just saying, "hey, i got these coupons in an email this weekend too...they should work, right? It says before any discounts!" be nice, friendly, chatty, and should be good to go.

DO NOT walk up with 10 dvds and 10 coupons though. they'll laugh you out of the store. I intend to just go in every other day or so with one or two coupons and get one or two at a time. Thankfully, my new place is 5 minutes from a store that stocks everything.
Yea, there's quite a few that I want, so I know I'll need to use some restraint. I probably won't end up saving all that much if I go back another weekend with as much as it would cost me in gas. Fortunately, I do have a friend who lives in that city who is a B&N member. Hmm ...

Originally Posted by hindolio
from my recollection, the amazon prices were a couple of dollars per title higher after all b & n discounts/coupons.
I think they matched the 50% on all of the titles last year. So, if it says $19.99 at B&N, it will likely be the same at Amazon. I want to say one or two maybe got marked down $1 or $2 more at Amazon at some point; I seem to remember a couple of better deals than just 50% off. I could be off on that, though.

The nice advantage of Amazon is that most people wouldn't be getting charged any tax. Of course, Amazon hasn't matched anything yet, so it's still speculation at this point.
Old 07-13-10, 03:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

During the last Criterion B&N sale November 09' I was able to use my girlfriend's membership IN STORE for 10% off and then I printed out several of the $5 off 1 DVD coupons for an extra discount. I was able to get all of the Criterion blu rays I wanted for $13.00 each plus tax.
(it was $40 -50% = $20 -10%=$18 - $5 = $13) At the store the clerk just happened to be someone that I knew so he said "as long as the computer lets me do it then I can do it". He rang up everything separately and I was able to get all the Criterions that I wanted for that price. He said if the computer lets him do it then he can't get in trouble.

This time around I do not have a membership (I used my girlfriend's last time and it is expired). Because I plan on buying several I would be willing to get a new membership if it was worth saving the money again. I plan on buying the following ALL on Blu Ray:
Walkabout
Yojimbo/Sanjuro Box Set
Gimme Shelter

The Leopard
Days of Heaven
A Christmas Tale
Che
Paris, Texas
Revanche
Lola Montès
Hunger
Bigger Than Life
Vivre sa vie
Summer Hours
Ride with the Devil
Stagecoach
By Brakhage: An Anthology,Volumes One and Two
Close-up
Everlasting Moments
Mystery Train
Red Desert
M
The Red Shoes (July 20th)
Black Narcissus (July 20th)
The Secret of the Grain (July 27th)

My question is if I do IN STORE with my friend again and I currently DON'T have a membership what is the best way to save as much as possible? I found the $5 coupon off 1 DVD for new members and since I am getting so many I would be willing to buy the new membership when I go in tomorrow to make my in store purchase for the additional 10% off. Can we get the Criterion Blu Rays for $13 again this go around? Is there a way to save more using a different coupon or at least on the more expensive sets I have listed? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.