Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by thetao
I remembered your post on my most recent BL trip and FWIW, no and no. (I found just one copy of Bug, gave it a shake, and didn't hear the telltale sound of an insert.)
I found a copy of Bug with Bilingual sticker on front, no insert either. Finally found a red cover of Bringing out the Dead, with insert, but after 10-15 stores no Regular cover Big Top Pee Wee.
Old 11-08-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still haven't found $ (Dollars) with Warren Beatty. Been at 8 Big Lots.
Old 11-08-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lancaster, PA store was so full of DVD's they had actually stacked a third layer on top of a seemingly new 2-layer display. It took quite some doing to sort through it all. Per my earlier post, either their DVD's aren't selling as well, or maybe the recent shipments have just arrived too close together? Here's hoping for a sale!
Sounds like I need to take a trip to this location over the weekend. I'll be leaving on Wednesday via horse and buggy
Old 11-08-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^What'll the rest of the town do for transportation if you have the only horse with you!?!?
Old 11-09-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mr Articulate and SterlingBen, thanks for the comments on the shelves. I looked at those Hungarian shelf links... way too advanced for me. I can barely put a nail in the wall let alone cut out notches. To keep this brief, my shelves are 5.5" deep, 6'9" long and .75" thick out of standard particle board. They then have 2 3" metal L brackets (I thought they were 5") screwed into the wallboard (not the studs) at each 1/3rd mark. They're also supported by lots of nails into those 1.5" support strips and by the 5.5" deep top-to-bottom side panels. Now I'm worried they're not strong enough not going into the studs, but it's too late as the work is done. I guess we'll see. I don't think 6'9" worth of DVDs are super heavy.
Old 11-09-10, 08:55 AM

I'm surprised that nobody's complained about the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Collector's Edition DVD hubs.
My reason for not complaining is simple: I have all 3 versions and haven't opened any of them. My reason is always the same: time. And even when I make time (by not doing other stuff I should), MPHG is not likely to be my top choice because I've seen it so many times. In the 90 minutes I made last night, I chose to play Dead Space. In fact, it must be 10+ years since I've since MPHG, but since it's the only movie I could probably repeat start to finish with very few mistakes, I probably don't need to see it ever again. Now I know I can look forward to a struggle if I ever open it.
Old 11-09-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm surprised that nobody's complained about the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Collector's Edition DVD hubs. While the Dogma SE cases may be annoying, these Monty Python hubs have nothing that can be moved or pried...they are one solid piece and as stiff as the rest of the plastic tray that's hot glued into the packaging (unless mine was defective). Whoever designed them seems to have been oblivious to the fact that DVD packaging should be designed to remove and insert the disks with zero force.

I had to wedge a soft t-shirt under each disk from all sides and gently (as possible) pry it out with a wooden ruler. There was still some scratching, but they play fine. I was tempted to exchange the set in case the hubs were defective, but I'll be buying either the 3-disk version (or maybe a Blu-Ray version) eventually, and so opted to keep it.
I recall a friend of mine snapped a Python disk into pieces trying to take it out of the case (maybe it was this release...).
Old 11-09-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I can believe it.

Based on the comments here I opened mine last night. The center disk hub area cracked about 1/4" attempting to extricate the disk! I eventually had to put fingers under the disk right at the hub to remove it. Had I not done this I'm sure it would have cracked in two or shattered. I attempted to replace it but it's just as bad going back on the hub. I gave up. I'm debating as to whether or not to exchange it and sand/chisle/scrape/cut the hubs down *before* removing the disk. I have the 2 disk SE and basically purchased this one for the film cell and paperback copy of the script.
Old 11-09-10, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I can believe it.

Based on the comments here I opened mine last night. The center disk hub area cracked about 1/4" attempting to extricate the disk! I eventually had to put fingers under the disk right at the hub to remove it. Had I not done this I'm sure it would have cracked in two or shattered. I attempted to replace it but it's just as bad going back on the hub. I gave up. I'm debating as to whether or not to exchange it and sand/chisle/scrape/cut the hubs down *before* removing the disk. I have the 2 disk SE and basically purchased this one for the film cell and paperback copy of the script.
I recently bought the Robotech Protoculture Collection DVD set, and it seems they reissued this set using these awful Alpha cases. I ended up taking pliers and ripping off the bottom plastic rung/hub that holds the disks in place. The disks now don't fit in the case as secure as they did before, but now I don't have to worry about scratching or even breaking the disks when I remove them.
Old 11-09-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Bridgeport, Tacoma Wa seems to have found a 6 month old batch of slashed Warners in their back room. Not even close to the first time that's happened at this store. No great titles, but if there are any of the $3 Warner's you missed, might be worth a trip for those in the area. They also got the Paramount/Lions Gate batches.
Old 11-10-10, 12:10 AM
Cool New Member

I found a few of the underground ghost house horror dvds which made me happy. Picked up: 'Trackman', 'The Last House in the Woods' and 'The Substitute'.
Old 11-10-10, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by djskyler
Thanks for that list! I don't know how they qualify as "holiday" but happy to see those Three Stooges full-length features in the $3 category.
The Outlaws is Coming (1965)
"Outlaw" features many TV hosts who played the Stooges films on local kiddie shows and brought about the Stooge revival,and this feature. Philly's Sally Starr is Belle Starr. I remember her talking about this so much when the movie was first released.
Old 11-10-10, 05:53 PM

One BL finally got their Paramount titles and I found $ (DOLLARS) at last. What are a few Sony dvds doing mixed in with the Paramounts?
Old 11-10-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I visited the stock room yesterday courtesy of a employee who knows I come for DVDs. She told me they had a new display in the back that was unopened. I got first look and was disappointed to find nothing but restocks of recent $3 titles.

I've not made a DVD purchase at BL in 2 weeks... I'm starting to feel withdrawal pangs...
Old 11-10-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Received the Big Lots ad via e-mail today and it shows a Rewards member sale November 12-14, including $3 DVDs on sale for 5/$10. The ad indicated you have to buy 5 and there's a limit of 10 per customer.
Old 11-10-10, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Received the Big Lots ad via e-mail today and it shows a Rewards member sale November 12-14, including $3 DVDs on sale for 5/$10. The ad indicated you have to buy 5 and there's a limit of 10 per customer.
That's good to know. I didn't see it advertised in their weakly ad and they rarely email me about Buzz Club stuff. The last time they had a 4 for $10 sale, you didn't have to buy 4. I wonder if this one will really require multiples of 5.

Unfortunately I already bought most of what I wanted in the 4 for $10 sale, so I doubt I'll find much (even 5) I want at $2 each. It shows you they plan ahead given that their 5 for $10 deal comes 30 days + about 1 week after their 4 for $10 deal, so everyone who thought they got a good deal at $2.50 each is stuck with their previous purchases (30 day return limit). I'm out 50 cents each! The horror!

Too bad they won't discount the $5 ones the same percentage. There are a few in those batches I'd like, but I rarely can bring myself to pay $5 for a DVD any more.
Old 11-10-10, 11:40 PM

I saw some TV boxsets for 6.00 each. They had:

Matlock season 1
Love Boat part 1
Friday the 13th the TV series season 2
Twin Peaks season 2
90210 season 4
Happy Days season 4
Cheers season 9
Some CSI New York seasons
The Cleaner (I think that was it)
Sabrina the witch
Perry Mason (not sure which season)
Star Trek Borg collection

There were some others. There were plenty of each set. I didn't get any. I thought about Love Boat then I thought about when would I ever watch that. I would probably have gotten the Friday the 13th if it was season 1.

Also there were some other 3.00 titles I hadn't seen before. I ended up getting Foot Fist Way.
Old 11-11-10, 12:39 AM

I'm down for 90210, love boat, and prob twin peaks Which store did you see these in
Old 11-11-10, 04:37 AM

Thanks for sharing those finds, Jigen75!

Box sets for $6! I would pick up a few of those if I ran across them around here. Not exactly top picks / gotta have'em buys in themselves. But great for the price. I hope to find CSI box sets next time I'm in a Big Lots.
Old 11-11-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Jigen, what state did you see the box sets?
Old 11-11-10, 02:06 PM

Im in Florida
Old 11-11-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigen75

Matlock season 1
Love Boat part 1
Twin Peaks season 2
90210 season 4
Happy Days season 4
Cheers season 9
Sabrina the witch

There were some others. There were plenty of each set. I didn't get any. I thought about Love Boat then I thought about when would I ever watch that. I would probably have gotten the Friday the 13th if it was season 1.

Also there were some other 3.00 titles I hadn't seen before. I ended up getting Foot Fist Way.
Hoping they will carry those here in Illinois...maybe for the Holidays and if so, I'm in!
Old 11-11-10, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in Florida
Where in Florida?
Old 11-11-10, 06:08 PM
Cool New Member

Matlock season 1
Love Boat part 1
Twin Peaks season 2
90210 season 4
Happy Days season 4
Cheers season 9
Sabrina the witch

I'm in Louisville, KY and I found many of those titles you listed and more here... I found some CSI and CSI Miami sets too, as well as Family Ties, The Fugitive, The Odd Couple, and Hawaii Five-O. And there seems to be some real variety on seasons too.
Old 11-11-10, 06:09 PM

I'm in for:

Love Boat
Matlock
Happy Days
Twin Peaks
C.S.I.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.