Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 8 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Tacoma, Wa: Both Pearl & Bridgeport got the Paramount $3 & $5 batches. Unfortunately none of the strongest titles mentioned here made it to either store. I got to Pearl right when the display went out & was at BP about 2 hours afterwards, so I think I saw just about everything.
Old 10-29-10, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Ditto. I'd known/heard of this product before but totally forgot about it. I'd think you can also pick it up at most places that sell art supplies.
One thing I forgot to mention is how I apply it. Not that it would hard to figure out but I just dab a cotton ball with the stuff, place it on the tag, set the edge of the can on top of the cotton ball and let it soak for a few minutes. I'd tried paper towels, rags, etc. and the cotton ball has worked the best with the least amount of effort.

If one is familiar with the red Blockbuster price tag/circles you'll know what a pain they are to get off. They are no trouble for Bestine though. Big Lots stickers are a lot less tough.

Note: don't leave the lid off of your can, the stuff is designed to evaporate.

Is this all too common sense to be mentioning?
Old 10-29-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 3rd Tacoma, WA store (72nd) had the worst selection of dvd's I've ever seen at a BL. They maybe had 100 pieces or so. There were only 3 titles that I could imagine anyone buying: multiple copies of 2 of the Columbia 3 Stooges Comps & for early MTV fans, a Jenny McCarty comedy called Santa Baby. The other 91 or so dvd's will likely be sitting there until Hades freezes over. They get truck on Wednesday so unless they're holding back for the Sunday add, that's all folks!
Old 10-29-10, 08:29 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

You should check out Burien WA they just got a great paramount display. I got almost everything I wanted. But I couldn't find Sorry wrong number and a few others but I found most everything else mentioned there.

Last edited by g; 10-29-10 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-30-10, 12:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

New display of the Paramount titles along with some WB and Sony at the No Ho store on Vineland Avenue. It was still pretty well stocked this morning so they must've just put it out.
Old 10-30-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hank, thanks for the Burbank update. After reading your post I headed over there and there is a huge new display with lots of DVDs, but it was mostly crap as far as I'm concerned. A lot of this Paramount garbage is refugees from the Wal Mart dump bin. Did anyone anywhere buy THE LOVE GURU, let alone pay full price? There were dozens upon dozens of copies of this dreck.

The WB stuff was now $5, even titles that sold previously for $3. I know that's been reported already in this thread, but it's aggravating. I wound up getting MOGAMBO and STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, but I'm betting both were two bucks cheaper not so long ago.

And now get this: There wasn't a single copy of SORRY WRONG NUMBER at Big Lots. On my way home from BL, I stopped at a local Burbank CA record store, ATOMIC RECORDS. I always like to check their section of used and new DVDs even though most are ridiculously overpriced. But guess what they had today? Five, count 'em, FIVE copies of SORRY WRONG NUMBER at $7.99 each! Plus tons of other BL titles from the past year with slashed barcodes and a starting price of $7.99. I guess Hank and I weren't the only ones to go see the new display at Big Lots today. Let the buyer beware.
Old 10-30-10, 08:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

My recent finds
Old 10-31-10, 01:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
And now get this: There wasn't a single copy of SORRY WRONG NUMBER at Big Lots. On my way home from BL, I stopped at a local Burbank CA record store, ATOMIC RECORDS. I always like to check their section of used and new DVDs even though most are ridiculously overpriced. But guess what they had today? Five, count 'em, FIVE copies of SORRY WRONG NUMBER at $7.99 each! Plus tons of other BL titles from the past year with slashed barcodes and a starting price of $7.99. I guess Hank and I weren't the only ones to go see the new display at Big Lots today. Let the buyer beware.
That's so funny you should mention that. I shop at that store too and have noticed a lot of the BL movies showing up there in the past few months. I always wondered if it was somebody selling them to the store or if the owners shopped at BL to get some extra stock for their store.
Old 10-31-10, 10:29 AM

Clinton Township Mi-

Finaly got some of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Collectors set. Picked up one had 3 or 4 left

5 bucks plus tax
Old 10-31-10, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
That's so funny you should mention that. I shop at that store too and have noticed a lot of the BL movies showing up there in the past few months. I always wondered if it was somebody selling them to the store or if the owners shopped at BL to get some extra stock for their store.
Not to jinx a good thing, but many of those are opened which makes me think somebody watches them once and then sells them off. Fine by me, as they have a variety of films beyond BL stuff.
Old 10-31-10, 06:25 PM

add "Greystoke: the Legend of Tarzan" to the list of new films.
Old 10-31-10, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bse
Picked up the Busby Berkeley Collection Vol.2 - I already owned two of the films, but still picked it up, they had 12 copies of the boxset, all marked $9 over top of a $6 price tag.
Today I hit the two BL in the large town 25 miles away; the bigger "better" BL had absolutely nothing new, same old stuff seen for the last several years but much to my surprise the second one which is considerably junkier and rarely gets mucbh good stuff had the Berkeley collection; they also had titles in this set as GOLDDIGGERS OF 1937/GOLDDIGGERS IN PARIS for $6 wrapped together (which I had picked up immediately) and the other two HOLLYWOOD HOTEL/VARSITY SHOW wrapped together for $6 (which I had decided to pass on) then I went to the wire racks and found the complete four-movie Berkeley set for $9 which is what I ultimately bought. I also noticed they all had the $9 sticker on top of another; apparently these were mispriced in the warehouses at $6 and somebody caught it and put the $9 stickers on them. Has anybody found a copy of the four disc set that wasn't repriced? Not that I'm complaining - $9 bucks is a bargain for a box set of four films with no cutout markings of any kind on the boxes or films.
Old 11-01-10, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the info on the MN location. I go through LaCrosse WI and along I-90. Was hoping for Albert Lea.
Old 11-01-10, 07:18 AM

The Troy NY store had the Busby Berkeley and various Warners "triple" and 4-pack sets on a side rack. Almost wished I waited now before picking up the individual Berkeley titles, but with Big Lots, you never know what's going to be where...or when. So when I saw, I grabbed.
Old 11-01-10, 11:12 AM

I see some pricing discrepencies between 3 and 5. Here is what I saw.

$3
Desperado
Fancy Pants (Bob Hope/Lucille Ball)
North Dallas Forty

$5
Ben Hur
Black Hawk Down (3 disc)
Hellboy (2 disc)
Mommie Dearest
Poltergeist
Mogambo
Greystoke: Legend of Tarzan
Trouble with Harry
To Catch a Thief
Old 11-01-10, 12:23 PM

I got "The Trouble With Harry" for $3 a year ago, but noticed the $5 has a different cover. No idea which is the newer edition.
Old 11-01-10, 01:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I found the 2 disc Widescreen edition of "Polar Express" for $5 as well as some other Christmas DVDs like "Surviving Christmas" and "All I Want for Christmas" (1991) for $3 each.
Old 11-01-10, 01:15 PM
Cool New Member

Among the $5 Warner batch, I spotted three copies of Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird: 25th Anniversary Edition (w/s)... not much of a deal, since I paid $5 for this @ Walmart a couple months ago. Also saw You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown which is also currently going for $5 at Walmart.

Wouldn't surprise me if there will be a sale on the $5 titles in the next few weeks.
Old 11-01-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Received the Big Lots ads via e-mail today and it seems like DVDs are highlighted on the front page every single week, regardless of whether they're on sale or at their normal $3/$5 price points. Made me miss the days when fewer people knew about 'em.
Old 11-01-10, 01:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Received the Big Lots ads via e-mail today and it seems like DVDs are highlighted on the front page every single week, regardless of whether they're on sale or at their normal $3/$5 price points. Made me miss the days when fewer people knew about 'em.
I miss the days when they actually had just about every dvd for $3 instead of this stupid $5 and $6 and now $9 on some sets
Old 11-01-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to the other NoHo BL today to return the copy of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN I had bought for my bro (he already had it). Anyway, a few different titles from the Vineland store, mostly Paramount trash. The Vineland location seemed to get the bulk of the new stuff, which surprises me as I've always thought it to be one of the worst Big Lots around.

I found one copy of SORRY WRONG NUMBER and put it in a more or less special place in case any fellow DVD Talker in the area wants it. It's in one of the bottom DVD displays by the cash registers, not the displays in the main aisle. You have to lift the top box of DVDs in order to get to the ones below it.
Old 11-01-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing their pricing is mostly based on their cost for each batch.
Old 11-01-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing their pricing is mostly based on their cost for each batch.
That's exactly what I have been suspecting. I believe that is why we sometimes see a $3 DVD later priced at $5, and vice versa.
Old 11-01-10, 11:15 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our local Big Lots had almost everything mentioned here, they had just put out a 3rd display, a lot of 'Lets Scare Jessica to Death'.... I bought the Monty Python set, Dollars, and Atlantic City.
Old 11-01-10, 11:20 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Let's Scare Jessica to Death is a nice film, it's not perfect but I recommend it especially at $3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.