Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon: The Wire - The Complete Series = $99.99!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must've gotten wind of Costco's pricing.

Direct Link

Enjoy!
Old 12-08-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Amazon: The Wire - The Complete Series = $99.99!

I know this goes on sale frequently, whats the lowest it has been? Is this a good price?
Old 12-08-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The packaging of this set online prevents me from buying it. Hopefully the season sets have a good price at BB at Xmas.
Old 12-08-09, 08:03 AM

Amazon is price matching BB price this week of 25-50% on gift sets. The BB ad shows Sopranos CS $149.99. Stargate TCS $139.99. Seinfeld, Deadwood, and The Wire $99.99.
Old 12-08-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
whats the lowest it has been?
I remember it being around $80 sometime around Christmas last year.

edit: $81.99 on 1/22

Last edited by dino88; 12-08-09 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gonna netflix it first as i have never seen it but obviously according to dvdtalk reviews it's amazing
Old 12-08-09, 10:13 AM

BB has been selling it for 99 for a few days now but be warned about the packaging before buying, its a horrible horrible cardboard packages that causes your disc to scratch every time you remove it and put the disc back in

your safe bet is to buy a cd folder or travel cd case and store the disc in those, i did that with my set and im going to with my shield set is sony ever send me my replacement disc
Old 12-08-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
gonna netflix it first as i have never seen it but obviously according to dvdtalk reviews it's amazing
Truly, one of the best shows ever made. Ever. You'd be hard-pressed to find many folks who'd disagree.

The same co-worker of mine who got me into the show in the first place still routinely sends me articles like: Harvard to Offer Class on "The Wire" and at least two articles a month from the UK (they frigging LOVE the show over there!!) Not a starmaker by any means - most of the actors have gone quietly about the rest of their acting careers - but my co-worker and I have an ongoing "Wire sighting" volley to keep each other informed when one of the stars pops up on something else. Most notably, Lance Reddick can be found on Fringe (and guest appearances on Lost), and Michael B. Jordan (whose departure from The Wire was cited by the director as the single most painful, heart/gut-wrenching scene of the entire series) has a recurring role on this season's Friday Night Lights.

Then there's the theme song, "Way Down in the Hole," performed by a different artist each season. I prefer the Blind Boys of Alabama version, but the Tom Waits version is also quite good.

Seriously, the show's got it all and then some. You will not be disappointed.
Old 12-08-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by styl3s
BB has been selling it for 99 for a few days now but be warned about the packaging before buying, its a horrible horrible cardboard packages that causes your disc to scratch every time you remove it and put the disc back in

your safe bet is to buy a cd folder or travel cd case and store the disc in those, i did that with my set and im going to with my shield set is sony ever send me my replacement disc
Great idea! Picked up The Shield complete series for hubby for Christmas. Haven't checked out the discs yet, but I'm glad Sony recognized the problem and is willing to do something about it. What about using those clear plastic slipcovers with the set? Would that work, or am I truly better off getting a folder? I'd like to keep the set in its original packaging as much as possible, but I definitely want the discs to be as protected as possible, too.
Old 12-08-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I know this goes on sale frequently, whats the lowest it has been? Is this a good price?
I think the absolute lowest I have ever seen if for, was 69.99 sometime last year, I think on an amazon lighting deal or gold box or something. I bought it at 85 dollars and remember being pissed I could have gotten it 15 dollars cheaper if I had waited a few weeks (it was under 30 days but amazon no longer price matched at that point). I doubt it will ever be that low again, so anything in the $80's i suspect is a good deal now.
Old 12-08-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never heard anything but raves for this series, yet the one time I tried to watch it, I was completely uninterested in what was going on. Did it take a while to get riveting? I would hate to have someone judge a show like Seinfeld by just the few weak early episodes, for instance.
Old 12-08-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Did it take a while to get riveting? I would hate to have someone judge a show like Seinfeld by just the few weak early episodes, for instance.
While I really don't think the early episodes are weak, I do think that the show takes a bit to get into. The first episode presents such a cast of characters, and throws you in the middle, that the learning curve is pretty steep. By the end of season five, there might be around 100 recognizable, named characters that have their own stories.

I have introduced several people to the show. The longest it took anyone to get into was 6-7 episodes I believe (which admittedly is a ton to ask someone... "Just read the first 200 pages of Infinite Jest to see if you like it!"), but all of the people I have recommended it to turned out to love the show, two of them even going on to buy the complete set.

So, I would say stick with it.
Old 12-08-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I've never heard anything but raves for this series, yet the one time I tried to watch it, I was completely uninterested in what was going on. Did it take a while to get riveting? I would hate to have someone judge a show like Seinfeld by just the few weak early episodes, for instance.
One of the ingenious things about the show is that although each season has the same "main" cast, each season also has a different "secondary" cast and a different angle of Baltimore (one season, the focus is on the docks and shipping, then there's a season or two of the drug-selling street urchins, a season of political corruption, etc.). Yet, somehow, they all weave together really well to give a conglomerate yet intimate view of the overall grit, futility and heroics that are a part of life in The Wire's Baltimore. So, even if the first few episodes of the first season weren't all that appealing to you, I strongly urge you to stick with it... the storylines get better, more complex and more riveting as they go along, and the introduction of new, well-developed characters each season is very much worth suffering through a few less-intriguing episodes.
Old 12-08-09, 01:04 PM

Amazing series. I watched it from the beginning all the way through this past summer. I had picked up the complete set for that $82 price from Amazon last year. One way or the other, this is a 'must watch' series.
Old 12-09-09, 01:27 AM

Considering the quality of the series, that price is a steal.
Old 12-09-09, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Great idea! Picked up The Shield complete series for hubby for Christmas. Haven't checked out the discs yet, but I'm glad Sony recognized the problem and is willing to do something about it. What about using those clear plastic slipcovers with the set? Would that work, or am I truly better off getting a folder? I'd like to keep the set in its original packaging as much as possible, but I definitely want the discs to be as protected as possible, too.
if i were you i would look at the disc asap

there should be room with plastic covers but you would have to kind of cram the disc in i just leave the shield complete series table book thing on my shelf and if i wanna watch i pull out the travel cd holder
Old 12-09-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if i were you i would look at the disc asap

there should be room with plastic covers but you would have to kind of cram the disc in i just leave the shield complete series table book thing on my shelf and if i wanna watch i pull out the travel cd holder
Will check them out right away, and thank you very much for the input!
Old 12-09-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, it was $81.99 back on Jan 22, 2009 on an Amazon Lightning Deal when I bought it. The series is absolutely amazing.

I recall in a different forum that the question was asked "if you were stranded on a desert island with a DVD player and a TV what single DVD set would you like to have with you". More than person said "THE WIRE".
Old 12-09-09, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone here actually from Baltimore? I watched the show too and it did not portray the city in a favorable light. I never met anyone from Boston to ask them what they thought about it.

Sonja Sohn (the actress that plays Det. Greggs) recently came into a bar that I work in. I actually talked to her about the show for a few minutes. It was pretty cool to meet her and she was very nice. One thing's for sure... she's definitely not a lesbian.
Old 12-09-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Anyone here actually from Baltimore? I watched the show too and it did not portray the city in a favorable light. I never met anyone from Boston to ask them what they thought about it.

Sonja Sohn (the actress that plays Det. Greggs) recently came into a bar that I work in. I actually talked to her about the show for a few minutes. It was pretty cool to meet her and she was very nice. One thing's for sure... she's definitely not a lesbian.
Had to wipe a mouthful of tea off my monitor before I could respond...

That's WAY cool that you got to chat with Sonja Sohn!!! As for your question about Baltimore, I've never lived there, so I can't speak to the "reality" of the show as it pertains to life in Baltimore, but according to Wikipedia:

"[David] Simon [creator of the show] has stated that he originally set out to create a police drama loosely based on the experiences of his writing partner Ed Burns, a former homicide detective. Burns, when working on protracted investigations of violent drug dealers using surveillance technology, had often faced frustration with the bureaucracy of the police department, which Simon related to his own ordeals as a police reporter for The Baltimore Sun. Simon chose to set the show in Baltimore because of his familiarity with the city. He approached the mayor of Baltimore to get approval to portray it bleakly and was welcomed to work there again.

During his time as a writer and producer for the NBC program Homicide: Life on the Street, which was based on his non-fiction book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, Simon had come into conflict with network executives over the show's pessimism, and wanted to avoid a repeat of these arguments. He chose to take The Wire to HBO because of their existing working relationship from the 2000 miniseries The Corner. Owing to its reputation for exploring new areas, HBO was initially dubious about including a police drama in its lineup, but eventually agreed to produce the pilot episode. Simon hoped that the show would change the opinions of some viewers but said that it was unlikely to have an impact on the issues it portrays.
Old 12-09-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love The Wire. The hype is real.
Old 12-09-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I have mine stored in a travel case that has just enough sleeves for all of the discs. They have been in that case since the day of purchase besides when I watch one of them. And the set/show is definitely worth the price aside from the packaging issue.
Old 12-10-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, any of you Wire fans happen to catch "Snoop" on Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" when they shot in Baltimore?
Old 12-10-09, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bwsmom
BTW, any of you Wire fans happen to catch "Snoop" on Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" when they shot in Baltimore?
i wish i had. Did she try to seal him inside an abandoned house with a nail gun?
Old 12-10-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i wish i had. Did she try to seal him inside an abandoned house with a nail gun?
LMAO!!! No, fortunately for him! She's pretty d@mn handy with a nail gun!!

Here's a link to the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I-jYV1KHiw

She sure has a wide variety of business "interests"....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.