Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

$5.99 DVDs - Stater Bros. (price reduction)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Okay.

Just got back.

Yeah I should; Stater Bros. is a Southern California grocery chain.

They have a price drop on their DVD rack from $9.99 to $5.99.

To honest I wasn't in the proper frame of mind. I'm still upset.

Picked up the three disc set for "The Blue & The Gray" (2001 release) as well as "It Happened One Night" (the 2008 re-package).

Let me think. Saw "Cats & Dogs", "Peggy Sue Got Married", "Daddy Day Care", "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" various Westerns and other titles. Sorry. I just wasn't taking notes. There are lots of titles probably about thirty. There was a time when the rack had "Gotcha!" Remember that? Back when Anthony Edwards had hair. If I saw it, I would've bought it.

Backtracking... My ceiling fan in the kitchen died. I bought a new one, hired a guy to install it. As it turns out it was his first fan job. It's hot here, today was 106. We both worked on the installation. The thing was finally done and then I discovered it came with no light bulbs. It used those tiny candelabra lights. Frack me. By the way, when all done, this fan is a downgrade; shorter blades and less powerful lights. *sigh*

I go to Wal-Mart find the lights and go to pay. But I'm behind this uber large women who is arguing with the cashier about a pack of undewear. Then demanded to talk to the manager. He's gone, doesn't matter she want to talk to the person in charge. How much? The price difference? Wait for it... wait... ONE DOLLAR! She claimed it was four bucks, it rang for five. I'm hot, sweaty - I just want to go home. But she woudn't let the line move until she got satisfaction. I kid you not. In the end it WAS five dollars. She passed on it and then got all huffy and left. All this time, she was talking on her cell giving a second per second commentary. WTF? Coming home I recalled I'm out of V8 and go to Staters.

This topic was mentioned in another thread, there was a fellow who complained, sir - you are incorrect. Wal-Mart attracts a certain element of the population. I go there because I find good deals and for the most part avoid the those who pull down humanity. Plus the store is easy on DVD exchanges; scratched up discs (I had an awesome CS clerk help me when I bought that "Ultimate Matrix Collection". Thanks to her my set is mint. *nods*).

Anyhow, looking at Amazon I learned something. "The Blue & The Gray" has two releases. The one I bought and a 2005 re-release which has the monicker 'Recut'. I was a bit pissed then I read further down. The 2001 set is the full version, 381 minutes. The newer version was recut... down to 296 minutes on two discs. I don't get it. But I'm glad I bought the right one.

I'm done. Gonna take a shower and head for bed.

Last edited by JohnIan; 08-29-09 at 12:22 AM.