Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Cheapest criterion 'the last days of disco'?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Cheapest criterion 'the last days of disco'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest Criterion For 'The Last Days Of Disco'?

I used to watch this movie all the time b/c I thought it was hysterical w/ a young Kate Beckinsale playing an ice queen and I don't know what it is about Chloe Sevigny that does it for me. Plus, the ensemble is hysterical with Chris Eigeman is friggin' hysterical. I was interning at MIRAMAX at the same time this movie was being worked on and had to work on the dailies for 54 which was total trash. Anyway, does anyone know where the cheapest price for THE CRITERION COLLECTION of THE LAST DAYS OF DISCO is when it is released tomorrow? DeepDiscount has it for $26.89 (free shipping), Best Buy has it for $34.99. I guess I was wondering if any of this weeks BARNES & NOBLE or BORDERS Coupons would bring the price below $26.89. Thanks in advance!

--Dorfler

THE COLLECTION!http://batkruse.dvdaf.com/

[removed ad]

Last edited by Marvin Dorfler; 08-25-09 at 12:09 AM. Reason: CAPS
Old 08-25-09, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Cheapest criterion 'the last days of disco'?

Why on earth isn't Criterion releasing this on Blu Ray as well? I can't see my self spending 35 bucks on an SD DVD as much as I'd like to own the movie.
Old 08-25-09, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I just checked bn.com and they have it for $28.79 (member price). Using coupon code M3A3M4P knocks off $5 and makes the total to $23.79 (minus tax). This qualifies for free standard shipping as well.
Old 08-25-09, 04:34 AM

Is it free now to become a Barnes & Noble Rewards Member (or whatever their program is called). I just signed up but didn't get an email with a Membership #. However, the disc went into the cart as $27.99 and I hadn't used the $5 off code yet. Do they do in-store pickup? Does it take a while to get your membership number?

--Dorfler
Old 08-25-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

It still costs $25 per year to be a B&N member.

Originally Posted by Marvin Dorfler
Is it free now to become a Barnes & Noble Rewards Member (or whatever their program is called). I just signed up but didn't get an email with a Membership #. However, the disc went into the cart as $27.99 and I hadn't used the $5 off code yet. Do they do in-store pickup? Does it take a while to get your membership number?

--Dorfler
Old 08-25-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I just checked bn.com and they have it for $28.79 (member price). Using coupon code M3A3M4P knocks off $5 and makes the total to $23.79 (minus tax). This qualifies for free standard shipping as well.
The price must have dropped some because I just ordered from bn.com using your coupon code and the order total came out to $21.00 even.
Old 08-25-09, 09:14 AM

during the deep discount sale, there was a price glitch and it was 20.00 for preorder. i didnt make a move then and im regretting it now. great movie.
Old 08-25-09, 09:32 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Yea. I ordered it with the deep discount glitch. 20 bucks.
Old 08-25-09, 01:08 PM

After the last B&N sale its going to be hard to spend more than $18.00 for a Criterion.
Old 08-25-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uglyjay
After the last B&N sale its going to be hard to spend more than $13.00 for a Criterion.
Fixed.
Old 08-25-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Why on earth isn't Criterion releasing this on Blu Ray as well? I can't see my self spending 35 bucks on an SD DVD as much as I'd like to own the movie.
They might not have the rights to release it on Blu.
Old 08-25-09, 04:55 PM

I used my Dad's B&N Membership Card + code and got it for $21.60 so I'm happy. Should be here by the end of the week.

--Dorfler
Old 08-25-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by uglyjay
After the last B&N sale its going to be hard to spend more than $18.00 for a Criterion.
No kiddin', huh?

I went hog wild on that sale, and snagged a whole bench 'o titles, but was disappointed that Disco and Kagemusha were coming out just after the sale ended.

I did pick up Metropolitan, and want to get Disco, but at $20+ for an SD title, there was no whay.
Old 08-25-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I did pick up Metropolitan, and want to get Disco, but at $20+ for an SD title, there was no whay.
I feel the same way. Hopefully, there'll be another DDD sale in November or December.
Old 08-25-09, 07:16 PM
Suspended

Can I just say "AAUUUGGHH!" because I didn't put my like-new copy of the out-of-print version of Last Days of Disco on eBay a few months ago?
Old 08-26-09, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by fidodido
Can I just say "AAUUUGGHH!" because I didn't put my like-new copy of the out-of-print version of Last Days of Disco on eBay a few months ago?
You would have made out like a bandit a few months ago; I saw some used SD Regular Editions from '98 or '99 going for over $100! That cover art/one-sheet poster is still better than the Criterion art...

--Dorfler
Old 08-26-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Marvin Dorfler
That cover art/one-sheet poster is still better than the Criterion art...

Really? I actually love the Criterion cover art.
Old 08-26-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the cover art of the Criterion (which comes from the book).

Old 08-27-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just punked myself. The other day, I was in a store in which the Criterion DVDs of The Last Days of Disco were on the shelf, and they were "playing" it on the tv. But it wasn't Last Days of Disco they were playing, it was either Barcelona or Metropolitan. So I bought the wrong movie.

Does anyone know this scene in which one of the characters is talking about "living or moving to Prague" but that character didn't actually visit the place yet? It was a funny scene. Is this from Barcelona or Metropolitan?
Old 08-27-09, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Does anyone know this scene in which one of the characters is talking about "living or moving to Prague" but that character didn't actually visit the place yet? It was a funny scene. Is this from Barcelona or Metropolitan?
That sounds like Noah Baumbach’s "Kicking And Screaming," which has a conversation about Prague toward the beginning of the movie after the characters have just graduated from college... not "Barcelona" or "Metropolitan."

CC
Old 08-27-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ccfixx
That sounds like Noah Baumbach’s "Kicking And Screaming," which has a conversation about Prague toward the beginning of the movie after the characters have just graduated from college... not "Barcelona" or "Metropolitan."

CC
Agree. Sounds like Olivia D'Abo's character. Easy to confuse K&S with a Whit Stillman movie. It has that same familiar tone, and Christopher Eigeman is in it.
Old 08-27-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

shit..way off! All because of Chris Eugeman. I even thought that I would accidently buy Barcelona and Metropolitan until I find that scene...maybe that is why I was chuckling more too - Kicking and Screaming is funnier than Stillman films, right? Thanks guys, I can't believe myself...I'm gonna buy Kicking & Screaming now - I saw it a long time ago, but from the recent clips that I watched in the store, it seems like a funnier Stillman film...

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-27-09 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-27-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The price must have dropped some because I just ordered from bn.com using your coupon code and the order total came out to $21.00 even.
Wow, already received this today. Bn.com doesn't play around when it comes to shipping.
Old 08-27-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
shit..way off! All because of Chris Eigeman. I even thought that I would accidentally buy Barcelona and Metropolitan until I find that scene...maybe that is why I was chuckling more too - Kicking and Screaming is funnier than Stillman films, right? Thanks guys, I can't believe myself...I'm gonna buy Kicking & Screaming now - I saw it a long time ago, but from the recent clips that I watched in the store, it seems like a funnier Stillman film...
Eeeeeh, I don't know if it's funnier, it's just maybe not as dry as a Stillman film.

You can't go wrong buying K&S or any of the Stillman films you mentioned. Metro, Disco, Barcelona are all great, although I think Barcelona is OOP, and used copies are terribly expensive right now. I do expect Criterion to issue it some day to have the whole Stillman "Trilogy" out on a CC release.
Old 08-27-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Oh, I've been to Prague" I love that movie. I remember those lines when I visited Prague for the first time a few weeks ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.