Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 7 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Yesterday in Clifton NJ grabbed:
The Women (Crawford/Russell)
Sweet Bird Of Youth (Newman/Page)
Old 02-10-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a new bin at BL today. Multiple copies of stuff like The Love Guru, MI:III, and Face/Off that I passed on. Picked up the two-disc "Field Guide Edition" of The Spiderwick Chronicles for the kids and the 2005 edition of Easy Money for me. Also found Foolight Parade from the Busby Berkeley box and Lies & Alibis(a/k/a The Alibi) - a Steve Coogan movie that I'm sure to regret spending $3 on, much like wanting to see Simon Pegg in the abysmal Big Nothing.
Old 02-10-10, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
Saw a new bin at BL today. Multiple copies of stuff like The Love Guru, MI:III, and Face/Off that I passed on. Picked up the two-disc "Field Guide Edition" of The Spiderwick Chronicles for the kids and the 2005 edition of Easy Money for me. Also found Foolight Parade from the Busby Berkeley box and Lies & Alibis(a/k/a The Alibi) - a Steve Coogan movie that I'm sure to regret spending $3 on, much like wanting to see Simon Pegg in the abysmal Big Nothing.
Was The Love Guru previously viewed or brand new? The reason I ask, I've seen this title at BL before for $6 previously viewed, never a $3 new title.
Old 02-10-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by supermike07
Was The Love Guru previously viewed or brand new? The reason I ask, I've seen this title at BL before for $6 previously viewed, never a $3 new title.
Definitely a new title; factory sealed, with top sticker. In fact, the top sticker was all I had to go by since the bin was crammed full. That's how the Spiderwick sets with their faux book packaging stood out. I would guess that there were fewer than 10 different titles in the bin, but at least five copies of each one. All of the DVDs in the bin had yet to be priced, but the checker rang them up as $3.
Old 02-11-10, 01:12 AM

Definitely a new title; factory sealed, with top sticker. In fact, the top sticker was all I had to go by since the bin was crammed full. That's how the Spiderwick sets with their faux book packaging stood out. I would guess that there were fewer than 10 different titles in the bin, but at least five copies of each one. All of the DVDs in the bin had yet to be priced, but the checker rang them up as $3.
Could have been the Don Knotts movie "The Love God" That title I bought at Big Lots recently.
Old 02-11-10, 01:40 AM

I found the love guru for $3 today. This title has also been heavily discounted at the wholesale level, along with some of the other titles mentioned here-

b
Old 02-11-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
Could have been the Don Knotts movie "The Love God" That title I bought at Big Lots recently.
I know a Don Knotts movie when I see one and this was definitely Mike Myers' The Love Guru. Again, not a lot of variety in this bin and it seems they were all Paramount titles. Drillbit Taylor and the remake of The Manchurian Candidate were also there.
Old 02-11-10, 10:56 AM

I recently saw The Love Guru at Ross, so I'm not surprised that it has shown up at BL since they seem to get a lot of the same stuff.
Old 02-11-10, 09:12 PM

My local Big Lots had a huge new assortment including Love Guru, Bad News Bears, Mission Impossible, Drillbit Taylor, Saturday Night Fever, Heartbreak Kid, Into the Wild, Norbit, and many many more....but they were $5 each. Random?
Old 02-11-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I also just was given early warning of a large $5 batch on the way.
Old 02-11-10, 09:57 PM

For the love of all that is holy, please let this be a anomaly. If I were to add $2 to every title I've picked up from Big Lots...well, it would be more than I...it would be...it'd be a lot.
Old 02-11-10, 10:43 PM

Most of the titles were ones from the recent $4 Wal-Mart displays.
Old 02-12-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The price difference is probably because they're from Paramount- their discs don't show up often at Big Lots but the last time I remember seeing them there they were about 5 bucks. Most of the Universal TV series they have now are 8 bucks, most stores have a bunch of Charles in Charge that isn't going to move at that price, I would've bought it if it were under 5. (There are STILL plenty of JOEY for 6 bucks too!)
Old 02-12-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know a Don Knotts movie when I see one .
And they used Bon Ami!
Old 02-12-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, the Paramount titles at my Big Lots were priced at $5 each.

They had two versions of Face/Off: the original trailer only release and a single-disc release of the special edition.

Saturday Night Fever was also the repackaged version of the original DVD.

I ended up with Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence for $5.

I also picked these up for $3 each:

Steamboy
Lust Caution (R-rated)
Once Upon A Time in China 3
Curse Of The Golden Flower
Look At Me
Old 02-12-10, 04:00 PM

just picked up

48 hrs/another 48 hrs
Zodiac directors cut 2 discs(they also had a 1 disc packaged with the first 2 episodes of dexter) $5
bad news bears/hardball $6

also saw

Rugrats movie pack
Jackass movie pack
Elvis gi blues/king kriol(spelling)
Michael j fox best of his tv show
the love guru
manchurian candidate
Old 02-12-10, 04:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I also saw all the Paramount titles mentioned. Same prices as above. Singles $5 double features: $6.

Someone mentioned the Spiderwick Chronicles. I also saw the same 2 disc field guide edition as a double pack with Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Other paramount titles that may have not been mentioned: Dreamgirls 2 disc, Lara Croft Tomb Raider Cradle of Life, Stepford Wives, and the old verison of Bad News Bears packed with the new version. Two cases as opposed to the single case Bad News/Hardball.

I finally found and picked up Lost Highway, Psycho II, and Tales of the Crypt Double feature movies. ($3 each)
Old 02-12-10, 06:20 PM

I got

Mission Impossible 3, 2 Disc version 5.00
The Firm Widescreen 5.00

The Firm that is in the 2 pack is fullscreen

Also saw Zodiac 2 disc directors cut, Payback directors cut, Aeon Flux, Drillbit Taylor, Love Guru, Bad News Bears new, Paycheck, also a bunch of full screen ones like Star Trek Nemesis. All were 5.00
Old 02-12-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Saw both the $5 & $6 titles. I also hope this is a one time thing, as not only were they pricey, but crap titles. IMO, the best of the mediocre bunch was SNF, Dreamgirls & 2 Spin City boxes @ $6.00.

Basically junk though, & Pearl had a big assortment. Hopefully these won't sell & BL will get the idea. Doubling prices in a recession is not a good idea!
Old 02-12-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up the 2-disc Spiderwick Chronicles for $5. I would have gotten a few other titles if they were 2 bucks less. I won't be making too many more trips to Big Lots at this price. I've gotten spoiled with the $3 prices. I guess the party is over.
Old 02-12-10, 09:17 PM
Banned

The only thing a $2 increase on the DVD prices mean I will limit my blind buying (which is good since I have an excessive amount already), but won't stop me from buying those titles I've seen before and liked. $5 is better than $20
Old 02-12-10, 10:23 PM

So, which are the better versions? The Tales From the Crypt "Double Feature" or the individual discs with the covers that match the double feature? I thought that I read somewhere that the releases were not the same.

Also, which version of "Backbeat" is better? The Universal "Special Edition" (which DVDempire says is a dual layer disc) and Focus "Collector's Edition" (which DVDempire says is a single layer disc) releases seem to have some mutually exclusive features. The Focus version, which came later, appears to drop the commentary for a Sundance special (according to their back covers)and sports a cool slipcover.

Last edited by SPRBD; 02-12-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by supermike07
The only thing a $2 increase on the DVD prices mean I will limit my blind buying (which is good since I have an excessive amount already), but won't stop me from buying those titles I've seen before and liked. $5 is better than $20
This is very true. I would be pickier also. It is much easier to justify in my mind 7 titles for $21 instead of 4 for $20. I'll still buy the 4 for $20 but I'll be making certain these are "must haves" rather than "looks good."
Old 02-13-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, what a bunch of cry babies over $5 titles. Oh no, BL sucks now, it's the end of the world! The drama

News flash, Paramount titles are pretty rare at BL, and they are usually around $5, I remember $4.90 being the last price point I saw for that studio. So don't worry, there will still be plenty more $3 titles from Warner,Universal,Sony, etc. as usual.

So anyway, I found the Paramount bin in Derry today, and I picked up Ghost In The Shell 2 for $5. The bin was way on the other side of the store, no where near the registers or other dvds.
Also saw:
Into The Wild (2-disc) some were bilingual(canadian) releases. All the US releases had floaters in them, but the Canadian ones didn't.
Spiderwick Chronicles (2-disc)
The Love Guru (regular and DC SE)
Payback (Extended cut or whatever it is)
etc. etc.
didn't see and 2-discers of Zodiac, only singles of both WS and FS.
all the Lemony Snickets I saw were FS. Lots of FS titles mixed in there among the WS ones, be careful!

On the regular rack, I grabbed:
Bitter Moon
That Man Bolt
Brothers (Danish)
Safe Men
Old 02-13-10, 08:28 PM

found some good stuff

this boy's life (very happy to find this 1 cheap)
zero effect
tequila sunrise

i also saw the zodiac(1 disc) packaged with a 2 episode sampler of dexter season 1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.