DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by Phibes
ProfessorEcho, you sir are an evil genius. I salute you! Pip, pip.
That's high praise from you, Doc! By the way, sorry to hear about your wife. Hope the fatal frog masks are okay.
Old 07-24-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Yes, I traded a S6 in the exchange forum. They are/were out there but very rare in comparison to S7. There was one S6 in the box here and about eight of S7.

In my opinion, the window has closed on that batch of season sets though... Especially now with the resellers scooping up everything in sight.
Thanks for the info. If you find another season 6 in blu let me know please.
Old 07-24-09, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hilliard, Ohio store had a bit of restock today. Some Flinstones, Wacky Races, Tales from the Crypt (4-5-6), Lois and Clark and some Batman TAS.
Old 07-24-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally talked to a really cool BL manager who gave me real info on when his store would stock thier sets (today) and let me look through before he set them out... Tons of Flintstones, TFTC (got season six at last), All the Lois and clark sets, HB sets... I bought about 13 sets and wouldve bought more if I hadn't loaded up on vacation. No ten dollar sets and I'm still seeking a complete Wonder woman, Yogi Bear, dastardly and Muttley... And most of the ten dollar sets...
Old 07-24-09, 02:52 PM
Banned

Last edited by wvtechs; 07-25-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't read the story yet, but saw this blurb on my homepage today from BARRON'S ONLINE:

"Wire services reporting today that struggling Blu-Ray DVD manufacturers have given up on format, claim they can't match the transfer quality of standard definition title 'JOEY, SEASON 1.' OOP DVD now sought after by industry insiders and DVD aficionados for use as the most coveted "reference" disc in the history of home video. Major price point increases forecast for resale market."
Old 07-24-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 620 Likes on 457 Posts

There should be a twelve step program for BL addiction... and Little Debbie snack cakes.
Stroke rehabilitation programs work wonders for the latter. Nothing can help those afflicted the former.

Pip etc.
Old 07-24-09, 03:09 PM

Any Florida updates? All the stores i have been to and called said they are not getting anymore in.
Old 07-24-09, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
gardner, ma : no HB animation or $10 sets, a few of the six$ sets, some superfriends, knots landing, that sort of thing.

fitchburg, ma : no HB animation or $10 sets.

Danvers, MA: no restock, no HB, no $10

I was at Derry, NH yesterday and they had nothing, but someone is reporting today in the last thread that they have the HB animation sets and other $3 sets.
I was there this morning picked up
popeye the sailor vol 1
adventures of superman vol 2,5 and 6. no 1,3 and 4.
superman serials collection 1948 and 1950.
Tales from Crypt volume 5, all the rest of the crypts were gone.
A couple of surprises for me were Iwo Jima 36 days of hell and ww2 in color volume 1 and 2.I am big ww 2 buff.
seen these but did not get
Flinstones season 3, rest of flinstones gone.
plenty of Larry King,Top Cat and of course the lovable Joey.
They had a Birdman I should have grabbed.
if anybody sees Adventures of Superman season 1 or 3 and 4 or Tales from Crypt volume 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 at nashua nh. please let me know as Derry,nh was too far of a drive for me. thanks.

Last edited by bloopbleep; 07-24-09 at 05:19 PM.

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I haven't read the story yet, but saw this blurb on my homepage today from BARRON'S ONLINE:

"Wire services reporting today that struggling Blu-Ray DVD manufacturers have given up on format, claim they can't match the transfer quality of standard definition title 'JOEY, SEASON 1.' OOP DVD now sought after by industry insiders and DVD aficionados for use as the most coveted "reference" disc in the history of home video. Major price point increases forecast for resale market."
I must resist.......must resist.............I have to stop buying all the Joey sets...........I need to stop.............help meeeeeeeee
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many more times are you going to dip into that well?
Old 07-24-09, 03:14 PM

For those who missed it at the end of the last thread, urgent information that we can all benefit from!

ATTENTION ALL RESELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to sound like a joke, but I have it on good authority (don't even ask, this is totally "off the record!") that the next big thing in DVD resale is going to be this show called JOEY. Apparently, the web is buzzing with rumors that these DVDs are going OOP forever and that demand is going to increase in the next few months, to heights we haven't seen in years on the resale market. !!! This is one of those shows that seemed to fly under the radar when it first aired, but there is what has been described as a STAR TREK numbers cult following for it all over the world and people are becoming desperate to get their hands on the one season that was released on DVD. You read it here first, stock up JOEY asap, if you can even find it anywhere that is! You want to SELL, SELL, SELL? Then get JOEY, JOEY, JOEY!

I actually enjoyed Joey somewhat when it was on tv. Obviously you have to take it for what it was. I'm hoping they are still at the Lemay store in early August when I return to work and go by there. Don't really want to drive 25 minutes to try and pick on up, but I'll get there eventually and maybe good ole' Joey will be waiting for me. Its worth $3 or $6, not sure how much it is. Of course, if its $6 I could buy it on ebay and let some reseller loser a few bucks and still have the hassle of buying and shipping it. All you Joey mockers probably never appreciated Sledge Hammer either.
Old 07-24-09, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LostFan
I actually enjoyed Joey somewhat when it was on tv. Obviously you have to take it for what it was. I'm hoping they are still at the Lemay store in early August when I return to work and go by there. Don't really want to drive 25 minutes to try and pick on up, but I'll get there eventually and maybe good ole' Joey will be waiting for me. Its worth $3 or $6, not sure how much it is. Of course, if its $6 I could buy it on ebay and let some reseller loser a few bucks and still have the hassle of buying and shipping it. All you Joey mockers probably never appreciated Sledge Hammer either.

Sledge Hammer was fun, as was Joey! We are just having fun.
Old 07-24-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
How many more times are you going to dip into that well?
That show haunts my every waking hour.

But don't shoot the messenger! I mean, it's not like you can just make this stuff up.
Old 07-24-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Any Florida updates? All the stores i have been to and called said they are not getting anymore in.
Maybe the re-sellers beat me to them but Jacksonville sucks big time. I got tired of checking and asking "employees" who didn't know what the heck I was talking about. Been to about 5 different stores.
Old 07-24-09, 03:22 PM

If anyone is getting sick of haunting your local big lots and burning gas, Amazon marketplace has most of the Hanna Barbera stuff for $4-$8 plus shipping...
Old 07-24-09, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by efordvt
If anyone is getting sick of haunting your local big lots and burning gas, Amazon marketplace has most of the Hanna Barbera stuff for $4-$8 plus shipping...
MMMhhhhhh, no! I just go there and look around for the fun and the deals. No haunting here!
Old 07-24-09, 03:32 PM

Actually since she's died and been preserved in the sarcophagus, we rarely fight anymore. Hence, I've given up trying to revive her via ancient Egyptian rites and just keep her around as a lovely coffee table.

I've begun a large production of fatal frog masks and catapult launched unicorn heads to take with me to BL for the less than savory characters I encounter there. Woe be to them if they're trying to outrun me with a Looney Tunes set. Especially since I've disabled their automobiles.

Pippy cheers.

That's high praise from you, Doc! By the way, sorry to hear about your wife. Hope the fatal frog masks are okay.
Old 07-24-09, 03:40 PM

Went to my local bl today and asked the manager whom i know personally if they had gotten any restock.

His response was no, and as far as he knew they would not be, they already put the $3 stuff out 2 weeks ago and its all long gone.

I would assume if you have been to a store that had alot, its gone and they will have none for sunday, i would stick with stores that didnt have any yet-

b
Old 07-24-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wvtechs

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that some of this stuff is making people crazy to want it so badly. Resellers I may not like but I can understand because they follow the traditional business model of buy cheap and sell high. As to the others, I remain stumped. Collectable maybe? But most of them are cartoons for petes sakes!
Haha i understand your point. It feels everybody is running to BL to find the winning Wonka Bars. (I did buy myself a WonKa Bar there yesterday :P )
Some of those Hanna-Barbera are cool, like Flintstones. But for the majority I can't pass the cheap animation. The running around with the same background repeated a hundred times, even as a kid, it looked kinda crude.
Personally I only gotten what I wanted, no extra copies of anything. Just looking to complete my Thundercats collection and maybe one of the sets I heard but haven't seen yet.

Now, I do not want you to sell me anything. But out of curiosity did u got to sell ur set through this forum?

PS: Long Live Joey Tribbiani!!
Old 07-24-09, 04:02 PM

I've noticed that my local store puts out a very small selection of the $3 sets daily and they are gone after lunch. I asked today if they had anymore in the back and got the same response I always get... "Everything is already out, we might get some more stock next week.".

Its obvious this location has the sets in the stock room unless they are getting a shipment each day.
Old 07-24-09, 04:05 PM

Went to a Big Lots today that had a huge $6 set restock...

Picked up

Scooby Season 3
Wait Til Your Father Gets Home
Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection 2
Smallville BLU x2
Old 07-24-09, 04:10 PM
Tap

Originally Posted by barbybrant
Fairless Hills, PA, Thurs. evening: multiple seasons of Lois and Clark, multiple seasons of Tales from the Crypt, one lonely Veronica Mars S2, lots of Top Cat sets, a couple copies of Murphy Brown S1

Bristol PA: no $3 sets

Franklin Mills, PA: no $3 sets, clerk said they won't be put out till Saturday

Beverly, NJ: no $3 sets, clerk said they won't be put out till Saturday
I swung south. Bristol got stocked today. Found:

Adventures of Superman Volume 2
Agatha Christie 3 movie set
Appleseed: Ex Machina (only one copy left)
Batman The Animated Series Volume 3
Batman/Justice League twofer set
Batman (the animated movie with batgirl)
Dastardly & Mutley in their Flying Machines Complete Series
Dr. Who: The Claws of Axos (Pertwee)
Flintstones (not sure; many)
Huckleberry Hound
Jacque Costeau (the river collection)
Johnny Quest Season 1 (I snagged the only copy)
Josie and the Pussycats
Justice League Season 1 (BluRay)
Lois & Clark (not sure; a few)
Popeye
Superman: The Theatrical Series Collection (1948-1950) (one copy left)
Tales from the Crypt v1-6
Top Cat
Veronica Mars Season 2 (only one copy left)
Wacky Races The Complete Series

Plus whatever I forgot. Look under the wire rack. There are about eight extra boxes, in addition to what fit on the shelves. No Birdman, PowerPuff, Looney Tunes, or $10 sets. I also found something I haven't seen anyone mention yet:

Justice League Season One (BluRay)

Unfortunately, it was a floater so I left it (if any DVD talkers want it, I slid it under the bottom of the wire rack on the floor).

Last edited by Tap; 07-24-09 at 06:40 PM. Reason: verified which Doctor Who, where the BluRay is stashed
Old 07-24-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually since she's died and been preserved in the sarcophagus, we rarely fight anymore. Hence, I've given up trying to revive her via ancient Egyptian rites and just keep her around as a lovely coffee table.
Would you be interested in a trade for a very lovely Ikea coffee table I have?

(Oh sorry, is there a coffee table exchange thread?)
Old 07-24-09, 04:32 PM
Banned

Last edited by wvtechs; 07-25-09 at 01:12 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.