Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 6

Time to play mini-mod. Everyone that are posting their trade lists will have better luck in the Exchange Forum.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchang...ge-thread.html
Old 07-26-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
No, it's a nice little beige 13 gallon Sterilite with a swivel top for the kitchen. I live alone (uh, with my cat)... So it's mostly for empty beer cans and cat food containers. Ah... The life of a bachelor.

I've read your posts in the exchange thread btw...

conehead433 - Complete agreement.
Good beer comes in a bottle Shouldn't you be recycling those cans?
Old 07-26-09, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by pdhahn
On my way to Harrisburg, PA in a town that I don't even know the name of I stopped at a Big Lots because my girlfriend had to use the bathroom. While I was waiting for her I noticed some dvds in a bin back in the stockroom through a window. I asked someone if I could see them and ended getting seasons 2 - 6 of Tales from the Crypt for $3 a piece. I didn't even see what else they had because I was so excited.

Now if anyone wants to make a boys dreams come true they could pick me up seasons 1 and 7.
Don't know how close you are/if you're close, but you may want to save the rest of the trip. I was in the Harrisburg Big Lots ten minutes ago, and they don't have anything new (a few Joeys, maybe a Tracy Takes On or two). They actually consolidated their previous four bins of DVDs down to two, and replaced them with racks of bread. However, there is a sign on the DVD rack about the sale, so maybe they'll come out later.

What part of PA was the other Big Lots? Did they look like they would put more out later?
Old 07-26-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pdhahn

Now if anyone wants to make a boys dreams come true they could pick me up seasons 1 and 7.
you might not be able to find 7, I don't think it's shown up at any stores.
Old 07-26-09, 10:19 AM

Nashua last night around 7:30pm:

Same crap, not much there.
Flintstones S2 (sealed)
Joey!!
War At Home S1
Larry King Interviews
Tracey Takes On... S1
Popeye V1
Dastardly & Muttley
Old 07-26-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was at my BL this morning before opening, hoping against hope for a $10 box set. (The ad for the recent batch of $3 sets was in today's paper). By the time the doors opened, three other people were waiting, one of whom was a male, like myself. I predicted he, like me, would head straight for the DVDs when the doors opened. Men always head straight for the DVDs. I was right.

When we got to the DVD display, the sets were in a shopping cart, and the employee was just about to put them on a shelf. She said we were welcome to look through them. There were obviously no $10 sets here.

I looked through the rest of the store, including electronics just to be sure, but my BL never puts DVDs in the electronics. Convinced there were no $10 sets anywhere, I returned to the main DVD area to look at the cheaper sets more closely. The employees were opening up more shipping cartons. Most of the usual suspects everyone has been describing were there (Flintstones, Popeye, most Tales from the Crypt seasons, a few other Hanna Barbera cartoons, etc.) This was the first time I'd seen them at my store, so I was a bit more excited than many of you who've had these for a while.

I got all the Flintstones sets except Volume 4 (one of the employees found what was apparently the only copy, and took it for her husband), as well as a box of three Tom and Jerry DVDs for my son. (I wonder if BL knows they keep my kid in cheap cartoons). Of the Flintstones I got, Volume 5 and 6 were unsealed, but I checked and they had all the discs so for $3 I can't complain. Volume 1, 2, and 3 (all sealed) were more common. Finally bit for the History of Rock and Roll, which I'd seen in the store previously but ignored.

The guy who came into the store when I did lamented that he'd bought all the TFTC's for full price when brand new. The Cousteau set was there too, which I'd bought when released for a lot more, so I understood.

Altogether, not bad. I'll keep looking for the $10 sets, but I won't go crazy. Was pleased that I actually got some things I can enjoy too (I grew up on Flintstones reruns), as well as my son. He's usually the biggest beneficiary of my BL trips.
Old 07-26-09, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found the Superman serials and this set:

Old 07-26-09, 11:11 AM

The Newark, Ohio BL on Deo Drive had 3 copies left of "Magilla Gorilla" when I left around 10:45 this morning.
They also had 3 or 4 copies of "Pebbles and Bam Bam" and "Wacky Races" along with a lot of the Tom and Jerry features and Wiggles DVD sets. Plus, they did have a few Flintstones Seasons 4, 5 and 6.
There were also 3 copies of that oversized American Girl set on the racks along with many Mill Creek 50-movie sets for $9.
Not sure how much is left by now though as a Shopper On A Mission pulled up to the DVD rack with a shopping cart as I left the area.
Old 07-26-09, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by cuseorange53
Snagged two of the looney tunes golden collection 1-5 and an imax set in concord, nc. There was still one Looney Tunes Golden left and there was also a looney tunes movie collection for $10. No Tales From the Crypt sets here though. They also had the Kubrick and Roots $10 sets.
Where is your location?
Old 07-26-09, 11:15 AM

Does anyone have a link for the Dallas Cowboys set? How many discs?

Also Hong Kong Phoey...........I am assuing a season from Hanna Barbara?
Old 07-26-09, 11:26 AM

I went to the Big Lots store in my town both yesterday and this morning, but there was nothing new.
Old 07-26-09, 11:42 AM
Cool New Member

The two-disc Dallas Cowboys set is two single cases shrinkwrapped side-by-side. One is the history of the Cowboys 1960-2003 (220 minutes) and the 2nd is covering the 5 Super Bowl wins (a little more than 6 hours long). I guess it'd be a pretty sweet package if you're a Cowboys fan...

Budget DVD Hunter
BUDGETDVDHUNTER.TODAY.COM
budgetdvdhunter.wordpress.com
Old 07-26-09, 11:55 AM

Stopped by and saw the following:

Joey S1 (many copies)
Flintstones S3
Mission Hill
Dukes of Hazzard S5, S6

Also saw a new tray of Warner Bros/New Line $3 movies:

Highwaymen
Ripley's Game
Wedding Crashers
Monster-In-Law 2 disc WS
Kansas City (by Robert Altman)
The Assassination of Richard Nixon (Sean Penn was on the cover)

They had quite a few more new ones, but I could not remember them...

Also, the bar codes are NOT slashed on this new batch of Warner Bros/New Line dvds.

Last edited by DeepSleep; 07-26-09 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 11:57 AM

St. Louis people: last night there were a couple copies each of Ben Stiller Show (hilarious, BTW), and Popeye at Crestwood Big Lots. Also 2 Pinky & the Brain v.2. Not much else, besides old $3 movies.
Old 07-26-09, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Where is your location?
ummm.... Concord, NC like the post says
Old 07-26-09, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by wvtechs
There seems to be a wave of crappy DVD's and seasons that show up at Big Lots.
Yeah, all that crappy stuff that nobody wants. That's why these threads close for length so often.
Old 07-26-09, 12:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

San Bernardino, CA

Restock...

Lois & Clark: S1 and S3; a few S4 (picked me one of those)
Superman: The Animated Series V1, a few (bought one)
Tales From The Crypt: S3 and S5
Popeye V1 - no sticker for comic inside
Perils Of Penelope Pitstop, The

A few of the classic Superman series boxes, but they were all getting snatched up when I was there. Don't know which season(s).

Now I need to find S2 of L&C and I'll have the whole series.

Last edited by JohnIan; 07-26-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 12:55 PM

Was there bright and early near opening, after reading the horror stories about hoarders and mongers. Went to the Prescott store in Modesto, CA and ran around feverishly hoping to find the new stock. Nothing was out to my dismay and went to the register to ask the cashier what was up. She told me that all the new stock was in two boxes right by the reg and I could go through them! Sweet! There were two or more copies of each title there and this was the haul:
Tales from the Crypt Seasons 1-5
Johnny Quest
Top Cat
Dastardly and Mutley
Jacques Costeau River Explorations
Birdman

and I also saw:
Flintstones Seasons 4 (plastic cover, sealed) & 5 (paper cover, open)
Superman Seasons 2 & 5/6
Wacky Races
Lois and Clark (a few seasons, don't recall which)
Superman Animated Series (don't know which seasons)
Pebbles and Bamm Bamm

Went to the Oakdale location across town and their set selection was very paltry. They had Popeye (which I grabbed), the Costeau sets, War at Home, and a bunch of Scooby Doo movie 2-packs.

Last edited by yellahoosh; 07-26-09 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 01:07 PM

Hoosh! Went to Turlock this morning and NOTHING! Employee said they will not put anything new out until the shelves clear out a little. Nice haul in Mo-Town!

Originally Posted by yellahoosh
Was there bright and early near opening, after reading the horror stories about hoarders and mongers. Went to the Prescott store in Modesto, CA and ran around feverishly hoping to find the new stock. Nothing was out to my dismay and went to the register to ask the cashier what was up. She told me that all the new stock was in two boxes right by the reg and I could go through them! Sweet! There were two or more copies of each title there and this was the haul:
Tales from the Crypt Seasons 1-5
Johnny Quest
Top Cat
Dastardly and Mutley
Jacques Costeau River Explorations
Birdman

and I also saw:
Flintstones Seasons 4 (plastic cover, sealed) & 5 (paper cover, open)
Superman Seasons 2 & 5/6
Wacky Races
Lois and Clark (a few seasons, don't recall which)
Superman Animated Series (don't know which seasons)

Went to the Oakdale location across town and their set selection was very paltry. They had Popeye (which I grabbed), the Costeau sets, War at Home, and a bunch of Scooby Doo movie 2-packs.
Old 07-26-09, 01:08 PM

Was at the Big Lots in ST. Peters, MO when they opened the doors. There were about 5 of us looking for DVD sets.

Scored the following...

Tales From The Crypt 2,3,4,5 and 6
Flintstones 4 and 5
Dastardly and Mutley
Top Cat
Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm
Popeye vol. 1
Batman the Animated Series 2 and 3
Adventures of Superman vol. 1
Superman The Theatrical Serials Collection
Superman Last Son of Krypton and Challenge of the Superfriends United They Stand 2 DVD pk.

There was only one Datardly and Mutley, Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, Batman Animated vol. 3 and Tales From the Crypt season 6.

I will try to check a few more locations today.
Old 07-26-09, 01:09 PM

Thanks for saving me a trip that way. I might go to Stockton later if my GF puts up with it just to see what's going on. Prescott seems to get the hottest dvds here typically.
Old 07-26-09, 01:18 PM

Went the BL in Durham, NC (55 and 54). Got there first thing- manager didn't even have the boxes unloaded. Pretty much got one of everything that they had..no yogi bear, huckleberry, or Magilla, jetsons, birdman, or thundercats, history of R&R, but got s1-3, 5 (no 4?) of flintstones, TOTC 1-6 (!), Murhphy brown, Veronica mars S2, and all the cartoon stuff except top cat (which I have only read abysmal reviews of). Most were only 1-3 copies, but they had about 20 of each of Flintstones S1-3.

Also got Johnny Quest - didn't know if that was found before.

Everything was $3 except Pinky and Brain which was $6.

Quite a haul. Over 35 box sets - $115.. They had to give me a box just to carry the stuff out!! Very happy camper.

on the way out, the manager smiles and says "come back on Thursday" and winks.. I said "MORE stuff?" he just smiled..

Needless to say I will be back on thursday...

p.s. also went to the one in Cary. Nothing new to speak of. no box sets at all..
Old 07-26-09, 01:32 PM

How much is the Powerpuff Girls Ultimate Collection selling for?
Old 07-26-09, 01:47 PM

I went back to the Danvers, MA, store today. They had nothing new. I also went to the Lynn store. They had stuff I hadn't seen at other stores, but nothing I was that interested in. It wasn't a complete loss though, as I did pick up Swimming With Sharks special edition DVD for $2 and Steamboy.

So now that I've hit the three stores I'm willing to drive to, what are the odds they get any more in? I'm happy with my haul, but I really wanted Lois & Clark season 2 to complete my collection. I would have also liked to have gotten any or all of the Adventures of Superman, Tales From the Crypt, and Batman the Animated series. I guess I'll have to keep checking.
Old 07-26-09, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
How much is the Powerpuff Girls Ultimate Collection selling for?
Only $3!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.