DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by BJ
Well there's no room on those wire racks for anything new.

Will somebody please buy up the remaining Joeys and Westwings so that they can restock with the sets we all want?

I have to hold myself back from sneaking into the stock room while wearing my ninja costume and searching for any boxsets that may be hiding there. Probably more WWs and Joeys (DOH!)
The Danvers store kind of always sucks. The employes are consistently the most miserable of any Big Lots I frequent. It's a shame this is the closest one to were I live.

I'll have to hit up the Nashua or Derry locations next time I'm in NH.
Old 07-23-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Count_Zero
Well, since Monday I have been to a buttload of the Dallas stores, including:
  • Skillman & Abrams
  • Plano Road & Buckingham
  • Garland Road
  • West 15th Street (Plano)
  • Forest Lane & Marsh
  • Valley View & Josey Lane
  • Centerville Road & Northwest Hwy.
  • Gus Thomasson (Mesquite)
  • Airport Frwy & MacArthur

and none of them have SQUAT. I don't know if North Texas just got left out of the restock program or what, but this is sad... Many of the stores look like they have the same stuff I saw the last time I came in a couple of months ago.

Anyone have extra copies of TALES FROM THE CRYPT Season 1, 2, 4, 5, or 7 they're willing to part with for $6 each plus shipping & packaging?
Josey Lane had lots of Tales from the Crypt last week. You just have to get them on the right day. I've been to most of those same stores this week and picked up Hanna Barbera stuff, seen tons of Popeye, Lois & Clark, etc...

It may just be that the stuff you see isn't interesting to you.
Old 07-23-09, 01:59 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
The problem might also be that there is a second season that was never released on DVD.
thank god.
or they would have to start melting them down and start paving roads with Joey discs
Old 07-23-09, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by docdoowop
Actually, I've seen a title with more stock than "Joey" at every BL! Something called "Security Device Enclosed."
Ah, yes. The Paul Blart prequel.
Old 07-23-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
The problem might also be that there is a second season that was never released on DVD.
Season 2 of Joey was in fact released on DVD, but only in Canada. I don't know why the show gets such a bum rap, it's actually pretty good, unless you compare it to Friends, of course. I'm happy to have both seasons of Joey in my collection.

Rob
Old 07-23-09, 02:18 PM
Banned

Does anyone know where Appleseed Ex Machina (steelbook) is typically located when found, with the boxed sets/seasons or with the regular DVD's?
Old 07-23-09, 02:20 PM
Cool New Member

Cincinnati Ohio

I went to the Beechmont Ave store, Latonia KY store & Erlanger KY store. All 3 had new stock.
I saw:
The Flinstones seasons 1-3
Lois & Clark seasons 1 & 3
Superman (George Reeves) S2 S3/4
Popeye
Challenge of the Super Friends
Josie and the Pussycats
Wacky Races
Top Cat
There was more I just can't recall it all.

They also had tons of new movies. Picked up Frogs & the Lou Ferrigno Hercules/Hercules returns for $3.

No Jonny Quest, Huckleberry Hound, penelope Pitstop or Space Ghost.
Only $10 set I saw was Roots.
Old 07-23-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
Season 2 of Joey was in fact released on DVD, but only in Canada. I don't know why the show gets such a bum rap, it's actually pretty good, unless you compare it to Friends, of course. I'm happy to have both seasons of Joey in my collection.

Rob
That's interesting that it was released in Canada only. I thought the show was fun, not even close to Friends, but still fun to watch.

Dirk
Old 07-23-09, 02:24 PM

It may just be that the stuff you see isn't interesting to you.
Quite true. I guess I should have said that they don't have what I'm looking for. Oh well, fellow DVDTalker GenPion has graciously offered to hook me up with three more of the TFTC seasons I don't have, so all's well!
Old 07-23-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wvtechs
Does anyone know where Appleseed Ex Machina (steelbook) is typically located when found, with the boxed sets/seasons or with the regular DVD's?

I saw it between the regular DVDs on the $3 display which sucks to look thru here in Colonie, NY, because there are 2 inches of space between the DVDs and the shelves above and you have to remove everything to see the stuff in the back. Dumbest setup ever.
Old 07-23-09, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BJ
Well there's no room on those wire racks for anything new.

Will somebody please buy up the remaining Joeys and Westwings so that they can restock with the sets we all want?

I have to hold myself back from sneaking into the stock room while wearing my ninja costume and searching for any boxsets that may be hiding there. Probably more WWs and Joeys (DOH!)
Well, I did ask someone if there was anything in the back and was told no, but who knows if that's true. I'm also wondering if the employees might be buying stuff before it hits the floor. Or maybe because it's a small store, they're just not getting anything. I know when I went to the Methuen store today, I was surprised how much bigger it was than the Danvers store.

But I'm certainly with you on wanting to sneak into the stock room. The last two times I was there I stood outside the doors just hoping I would see something hiding back there.
Old 07-23-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I hit 6 big lots yesterday on vacation here in Florida. Not much at all...
But I was able to score

Appleseed Ex Machina (steelbook)
Batman Vs Dracula boxset with figures
Superman Volume One (Animated)
Thundercats Season 2 Vol 2 (This one had been opened, I guess it was a return. It didn't have a sticker on it so the cashier gave it to me for 3 bucks. All the discs were there and in great shape.)

Not tales from the crypt like I wanted, but not bad at all.
I'm hoping some of these stores are putting more stuff out this weekend.
Old 07-23-09, 02:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by wvtechs
I've probably seen 50 of these altogether in the last 5 stores I've visited...haven't picked one up because I didn't know what it was.

They are quite common....seen them both mixed with singles & box sets
Old 07-23-09, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Well, I did ask someone if there was anything in the back and was told no, but who knows if that's true.
There is almost always more in the back but they wait until items are sold to restock. At many of my local stores, the restock is just a trickle and is usually mixed in with the older stock as it is put out. Basically, some stores are tight and some stores are loose... so to speak.

I believe that the emoloyees get asked if there is more in the back so often that it is easier to just say no. Think about it, if you were working there and had the choice between going to the back for every customer who asked or just saying no, what would you do?
Old 07-23-09, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by guitardedboy
I've probably seen 50 of these altogether in the last 5 stores I've visited...haven't picked one up because I didn't know what it was.

I must have bad timing because I have yet to even see a copy of Appleseed or Tales from the Crypt. I suspect they are holding out for the upcoming ad. For that matter, I would be thrilled if I could walk in and find some of the James Bond movies I need to finish my collection.

This movie-hunt is fun but can sure be a real PITA.
Old 07-23-09, 02:45 PM

This movie-hunt is fun but can sure be a real PITA.
So true, so true. It's a blast when you do strike gold but it can get discouraging pretty quick when you're catching nothing but air for long periods.

I just love mixed metaphors.
Old 07-23-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I don't fault Big Lots for letting someone come in a buy everything. Why should they care? They are there to sell and move, whether it's one person or fifty they are getting paid.

However, WHAT THEY CAN DO! Is when these items are meant to start on a certain date. PUT THEM OUT ON THAT DATE, and not before! I think that is a happy medium for dvd collectors and resellers.

But that is just me...
Old 07-23-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I bet if "Joey" had shown up on Amazon a month ago as a misprice for $5, everybody here would have jumped on the deal instantly.

But now that it's so easy to get for $3, nobody wants it.

It's funny how the over supply of a title can kill its desirability.
Old 07-23-09, 02:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I went to a BL Tuesday and found this

$3

Sadly, no other sets I wanted.
Still looking for
Looney Tunes 1-5 set
PowerPuff Girls Complete
Animaniacs 1, 3
Pinky & The Brain 3
JLA Season 1 Blu-Ray
SmallVille Season 6- Blu-Ray

I have a Smallville Season 7 Blu-Ray for trade
Old 07-23-09, 02:59 PM

Its funny this is actually one of the sets I set out to find... Didn't have to look very hard... the show is pretty good. Just detach it from friends and ur set. The neighbor is pretty funny and gets much of the laughs later in the season... Season 2 however went down hill with the introduction of a new character... Which we all know usually means the beginning of the end...

Originally Posted by docdoowop
Actually, I've seen a title with more stock than "Joey" at every BL! Something called "Security Device Enclosed."
Old 07-23-09, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Yeah, I don't fault Big Lots for letting someone come in a buy everything. Why should they care? They are there to sell and move, whether it's one person or fifty they are getting paid.

However, WHAT THEY CAN DO! Is when these items are meant to start on a certain date. PUT THEM OUT ON THAT DATE, and not before! I think that is a happy medium for dvd collectors and resellers.

But that is just me...
I was told by a store employee that items for an ad arrive on a skid (or skids) and are marked accordingly. It seems that most stores wait to put those items out but others don't. I suppose it all depends on the store and the quantity they have available.
Old 07-23-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by guitardedboy

And of the 5 stores I have visited I have not seen 1 single copy of it.
Old 07-23-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
And of the 5 stores I have visited I have not seen 1 single copy of it.
Over the past week I have been to 10 different stores and only saw one copy of Appleseed. So it is rare, at least in the central Florida area. I also only saw one copy of the Batman Vs. Dracula boxset. Both of which I picked up today.
Old 07-23-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Also went to the NoHo location on Sherman Way. All they have is a lot of copies of Flintstones season 3 and Tracey Ullman season 1 and that's it. They do, however, have a lot of those Nickelodeon titles if anyone's wanting those. And, oddly enough, about 10 copies of History of Rock n Roll. They weren't there before, I wonder if someone realized they couldn't sell them and just returned them.
Thanks for the heads up, I was able to exchange my History R & R for another (the book was cut up) although the clerk charged me a penny to do the exchange. (?) Looks like whoever returned them "keyed" every copy so the boxes were damaged. No new stock there today.
Old 07-23-09, 04:02 PM

Big Lots $6 TV DVD Boxsets

Well, I found some of the sets discussed in the previous thread.

SuperBowl Sets Vol. 2, 3 & 4
ER Season 6
The Dukes of Hazzard Season 6
Thundercats Season 1, Vol. 2 (2 discs)
The History of Rock 'n Roll
Challenge of the Superfriends Season 1

I hadn't seen Smallville blu-rays in the Philly area yet. I also looking for the first Superbowl set I-X, but I doubt Big Lots carried it. Has anyone seen these in the Philly area? Has anyone seen new stuff this week anywhere in the country? It's the week of July 20.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.