Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DVDPlanet 25% is live

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVDPlanet 25% is live

Hurray! Now to figure out how to spend $694 in credit...once the code actually works.
Old 07-16-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tofferman
Hurray! Now to figure out how to spend $694 in credit...once the code actually works.

Good luck with that. I've got almost that much credit with DVDPlanet but can barely find $100 of stuff to buy. All of these other sales have just been too good and DVDPlanet's prices have become too not-so-good...
Old 07-16-09, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't forget to go through Cashbaq.com for another 4% off. I've never had them honor it before, but it's worth a shot.
Old 07-16-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i checked a few items that i was going to buy (abbott and costello set and friday the 13th series - 2nd season). why are planets prices so much higher than ddd if they are supposed to be "sister" sites?
Old 07-16-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I just found out that they already processed a used order I sent out about 10 days ago- great turn around on that. I'm almost tempted to try to send them another load, but unfortunately most of what I want is a good bit cheaper at DD this time. If I get $3 for a used disc, but DVD P's price comes out to $2.50 more net, I'm kind of screwing myself.

The BSG set is $30 more right now, but after the discount it comes to $186 which is well in my comfort zone for this set, so I'll probably use my credit for that.
Old 07-16-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dollfins1
i checked a few items that i was going to buy (abbott and costello set and friday the 13th series - 2nd season). why are planets prices so much higher than ddd if they are supposed to be "sister" sites?
They operate as separate businesses, with different management and different marketing strategies. Their parent company, Infinity Resources, Inc., just takes whatever profits (or losses) they generate independently.
Old 07-16-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by dollfins1
For some reason, since the last sale, their prices have gone up noticebly. I checked about 60 titles and only 4 were lower than DDD with many of them being much higher. Last year the majority of the titles I wanted were lower at DVDPlanet. I have only around $55 credit this time so that will cover those 4 items.
Old 07-16-09, 07:09 PM

This doesn't work on preorders?
Old 07-16-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joecansee
This doesn't work on preorders?
Nope, pre-orders have never been included in these sales (except for a short time a few years back, when they inadvertantly activated the codes during testing).
Old 07-16-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried placing an order but am just getting a "this coupon code has already been used" at checkout.
Old 07-16-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by seymouru
Nope, pre-orders have never been included in these sales (except for a short time a few years back, when they inadvertantly activated the codes during testing).
They worked for me last fall and appear to be working now as well. Don't take my word for it though - try it yourself. You don't have to submit the order to see if it works or not.
(this only applies to pre-orders streeting during the sale period)
Old 07-16-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
They worked for me last fall and appear to be working now as well. Don't take my word for it though - try it yourself. You don't have to submit the order to see if it works or not.
(this only applies to pre-orders streeting during the sale period)
I tried, I can't even get the code to work. It says "this coupon has already been used"
Old 07-16-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do any of you have to resort to a proxy server to access DVDPlanet? Looks like I'll have to. Could someone post a link to the discussion or how to.
My regular connection was fine until the last month.
Old 07-16-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seymouru
not true at all. For DVD Planet you can order preorders as long as they fall within the dates of the sale - i.e. you can order any 7/21 or 7/28 releases and use the coupon. I just ordered Repulsion and it was 21.xx after discount.
Old 07-16-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I tried, I can't even get the code to work. It says "this coupon has already been used"
I went to test another bunch of pre-orders and got the same thing.
This is exactly what happened to me last November- one time use only.
Someone said in the other thread that a few days later they made some changes and multiple orders were being accepted, but I never went back after my first order.

I'm assuming you didn't even place one order but are getting this?
that would be odd. If you don't have an order on record for this sale yet, the customer service people might be able to put one through for you.
Old 07-16-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I haven't ordered anything since the last sale, but it's not letting me use the coupon. It says, "This coupon has already been used."
Old 07-16-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Do any of you have to resort to a proxy server to access DVDPlanet? Looks like I'll have to. Could someone post a link to the discussion or how to.
My regular connection was fine until the last month.
I use AnchorFree's HotSpot Shield to access the site. It's not the friendliest program (tries to take over your Search preferences, wants you to install a toolbar, etc.). And the icon in my tray sometimes gives me a tooltip I don't care about. Also, there's a hacked version on a very professionally done pirate website that is a trojan, so download it from a trusted site, like cnet.com.

Once installed, it takes no thought to get it to work. Right-click the icon, choose "connect." After a minute, the icon turns from red to green (and IE pops up with an info page showing you the connection status and your new IP address). It then redirects to some Search pge, but I just close IE and then open Firefox for browsing. Go to DVDPlanet. When finished, right-click, choose "disconnect." Icon turns red, you're back to your regular connection.
Old 07-16-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Code works for me but I didn't order anything last sale so that's probably why.
Old 07-16-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
I haven't ordered anything since the last sale, but it's not letting me use the coupon. It says, "This coupon has already been used."
Ditto for me. I've got a bunch of credit to use here, but what with DVDPlanet's higher prices and wonky site, those sales at DD and B&N are looking more appealing by the moment...
Old 07-16-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
Same here, but I didn't make an order last sale. Just been waiting to use this credit.
Old 07-16-09, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Ditto for me. I've got a bunch of credit to use here, but what with DVDPlanet's higher prices and wonky site, those sales at DD and B&N are looking more appealing by the moment...
Yeah, their prices are nowhere near what they used to be. They used to have the best prices on Criterions, now they have the worst. I have store credit at DvdPlanet, but some titles I want are so out of line I'll pay out of pocket at Deep Discount. Also, DvdPlanet has probably the worst navigation system of any dvd site I've been on. It's too bad that Deep Discount doesn't buy used dvds and give out store credit.

Last edited by VicVega; 07-16-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-16-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: DVDPlanet 25% isn't so live after all

No luck several times with this one. Same result as the rest of you. I vaguely recall the DVD Planet sale starting a little later than the Deep Discount sale in years past. Perhaps that's the case again this year, and a few lucky souls got through with the code before the blocked it? Perhaps we'll be given another chance soon?
Old 07-16-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

fwiw I just placed an order with the code and whenever i'd check my cart total with it applied to see where I was w/ respect to my credit it worked every time.
Old 07-17-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not working for me yet either, oh well.
Old 07-17-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This morning I had 4 items ready to purchase that were cheaper than DD. Now all 4 items are more expensive than DD. So I guess I'm ordering at DD...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.