Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Wal-Mart Bargains Thread #2

I was at Wal-Mart tonight and there was an apparent new cardboard display of $10 Sony tv seasons including all four CHARLIE'S ANGELS sets (lowest price I've ever seen them individually), PARTRIDGE FAMILY, SOAP, etc.
Old 11-15-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume people know that Target usually has Heroes S1-S4 DVD sets for $9.99 each, and some weeks they have them for $8.99 each... for those who want to avoid Walmart.com ISP.

Originally Posted by 30smovies
I was at Wal-Mart tonight and there was an apparent new cardboard display of $10 Sony tv seasons including all four CHARLIE'S ANGELS sets (lowest price I've ever seen them individually), PARTRIDGE FAMILY, SOAP, etc.
Walmart used to have Charlie's Angels S1-S2 and S3-S4 as double packs for $19.99. So now they separated them for $10 each. The best deal I remember on these sets was when BB had buy 3 seasons for $9.99 and get a $10 GC back.
Old 11-15-11, 11:19 AM
Suspended

On another forum someone said that Tales from the Crypt are bundled. Anyone see these? Ive only seen them seperate at WM.
Old 11-15-11, 03:29 PM

That Wal-Mart $10 Sony display here in Newark, Ohio included all of the 3 Stooges Collection sets as well...$10 each set.
Old 11-15-11, 11:49 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabbage
That Wal-Mart $10 Sony display here in Newark, Ohio included all of the 3 Stooges Collection sets as well...$10 each set.
Mine had the Three Stooges sets as well, but they were $13 each at my store.

I still bought three sets.
Old 11-16-11, 07:28 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
The only $5 DVDs now are in the dump bin and one side of a little rack up by the registers. I dug through them all, still haven't found the Puppetmaster, Vol. 2 DVD.

Kmart still has Vol. 1, but no Vol. 2, plus our Kmart's DVD areas are so disorganized it's painful trying to find anything. -kd5-
Finally, after about a month (or more) of searching through WalMart & K-Mart dump bins, I found it at a K-Mart SuperCenter for $5. About damned time. -kd5-
Old 11-19-11, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Mine had the Three Stooges sets as well, but they were $13 each at my store.

I still bought three sets.

Mine did too. Was put in the same box with the TV Classics for $10...Stooges' shelf had a $13 tag on it. Picked up a couple to complete my collection.
Old 11-19-11, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Evad
Mine did too. Was put in the same box with the TV Classics for $10...Stooges' shelf had a $13 tag on it. Picked up a couple to complete my collection.
The cool part about The Three Stooges collections, for me at least, is that I only had to buy up through volume 5. Nyuk nyuk nyuk! I got mine for $11.49 each from Amazon in June 2009, and it's one of the few sets I have actually opened and watched. Woo woo woo! Had they not replaced the 3rd brother from the vaudeville acts with the youngest brother, I probably would've never cared for or watched the stooges, but I liked the youngest brother so much I read several books about them. In fact, if anyone asks me who is the biggest genius of comedy of all time it's young Jerome Lester Horowicz (which became Howard). It amazes me that out of 3 brothers, 2 could be so funny and 1 of them so unfunny. (I assume everyone knows Larry was not a brother, but he was still funny.) Yes, I've very opinionated on this stuff.
Old 11-19-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought I struck gold when I spied a copy of Project X in the $5 bin. Also found License to Drive and thought this was the best find I'd ever found at Walmart since I'd sold both of these for 50-70 dollars. They even had the web address for Anchor Bay on the back.

but little did I know they've been reissued and a blu-ray will be out Jan 2012.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but back they go.

But for those that are interested:
Project X - $5
License to Drive - $5

edit: Also found a copy of Redneck Zombies 20th Ann -- $5

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 11-19-11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
The cool part about The Three Stooges collections, for me at least, is that I only had to buy up through volume 5. Nyuk nyuk nyuk! I got mine for $11.49 each from Amazon in June 2009, and it's one of the few sets I have actually opened and watched. Woo woo woo! Had they not replaced the 3rd brother from the vaudeville acts with the youngest brother, I probably would've never cared for or watched the stooges, but I liked the youngest brother so much I read several books about them. In fact, if anyone asks me who is the biggest genius of comedy of all time it's young Jerome Lester Horowicz (which became Howard). It amazes me that out of 3 brothers, 2 could be so funny and 1 of them so unfunny. (I assume everyone knows Larry was not a brother, but he was still funny.) Yes, I've very opinionated on this stuff.
So, I guess you're not a big Shemp fan then?
Old 11-20-11, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
So, I guess you're not a big Shemp fan then?
How did you ever guess? :-) I tried not to use his name but anyone who knows the Stooges know who I'm talking about. In Shemp's defense, he's much better than all those later guys, but I won't buy any Stooges stuff without Curly.
Old 11-20-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^You're missing out on some truly classic shorts by avoiding Shemp. When a kid I'd always groan when I saw Shemp instead of Curly on the opening credits. While I *much* prefer Curly, and had not intended to purchase the ones with Shemp, Volume Five has the overlap when Shemp came in to replace Curly. Watching those reminded me that he, too, can be very funny in a different way. Because of that I purchased the remaining Stooges sets and now have a better appreciation of his comic abilities. I *could* do without any of the shorts with Joe Besser but as they tail end Volume Eight I'm stuck with them and have yet to force myself to watch them. I *never* liked Besser's whiny guy act. DeRita would have been a far better choice and it would have been interesting to see him in shorts rather than only the films.

Short version: Buy 'em anyway - you might be surprised.
Old 11-20-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^You're missing out on some truly classic shorts by avoiding Shemp. When a kid I'd always groan when I saw Shemp instead of Curly on the opening credits. While I *much* prefer Curly, and had not intended to purchase the ones with Shemp, Volume Five has the overlap when Shemp came in to replace Curly. Watching those reminded me that he, too, can be very funny in a different way. Because of that I purchased the remaining Stooges sets and now have a better appreciation of his comic abilities. I *could* do without any of the shorts with Joe Besser but as they tail end Volume Eight I'm stuck with them and have yet to force myself to watch them. I *never* liked Besser's whiny guy act. DeRita would have been a far better choice and it would have been interesting to see him in shorts rather than only the films.

Short version: Buy 'em anyway - you might be surprised.
Like Bob said, get the Shemp ones as well as they are hilarious. The Joe ones are OK but not that great and Curly Joe had all those movies and they seemed OK at best. But don't deprive yourself of watching Shemp at his best. He was awesome!
Old 11-20-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cabbage
$10 each? awesome deal and Im huge fan of Three Stooges. I'll remember last time saw one of each Three Stooges collection cost $15 at WM. Can't wait to get it
Old 11-21-11, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyMovie
$10 each? awesome deal and Im huge fan of Three Stooges. I'll remember last time saw one of each Three Stooges collection cost $15 at WM. Can't wait to get it
I actually think people were saying they were $13 each. I saw the display yesterday but didn't buy any.

I've probably seen every Shemp short because when I was little I used to watch the Stooges whenever they were played on TV (which was a lot) and while I preferred Curly I didn't leave the room or anything. I'm not saying Shemp is terrible, but I just never cared for him that much. I know there were some shorts I liked with him in it, but as I recall they were not because of what he did but because of Moe and Larry. Maybe when the remaining sets are $10 or less I'll get them if I'm in the mood.
Old 11-21-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Buy has had every Stooges Vol except for Vol 5 on sale for $9.99 for the last couple months. The sale ends on the 26th though.
Old 11-21-11, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

anyone know if the muppets soundtrack online price is the same as in store?
Old 11-22-11, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
How did you ever guess? :-) I tried not to use his name but anyone who knows the Stooges know who I'm talking about. In Shemp's defense, he's much better than all those later guys, but I won't buy any Stooges stuff without Curly.

I'm real perceptive, I guess...I prefer Curly too, but watching his later work after his stroke is painful for me, knowing about his health issues as I do. Shemp is definitely better than Joe Besser (UGH!) and Joe DeRita (UGH! UGH!) by a wide margin, but Curly was a lot funnier than Shemp.

Oddly enough, my favorite Stooge is Moe.
Old 11-22-11, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
I'm real perceptive, I guess...I prefer Curly too, but watching his later work after his stroke is painful for me, knowing about his health issues as I do. Shemp is definitely better than Joe Besser (UGH!) and Joe DeRita (UGH! UGH!) by a wide margin, but Curly was a lot funnier than Shemp.

Oddly enough, my favorite Stooge is Moe.
There's nothing odd about that. Moe is my 2nd favorite, but nobody beats Curly... even when he was clearly struggling after his first stroke. From day 1 he could never walk or run properly (due to shooting himself in the foot... I think it was with a shotgun and not a rifle too). So we were lucky he could walk at all given the doctor wanted to amputate his foot and fortunately they refused. The Curly Joes are worthless. If I watch an episode with them, my mind tries to visually erase them and just watch Moe and Larry.

Anyway, I decided to buy the remaining 3 Stooges volumes for $9.99 at BB.com while I was in the buying mood there. I doubt I'll ever watch them though because I have too much else to watch.
Old 11-22-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I admit it took many years to make my peace with Shemp, but since then I have come to love the guy. I also conjure up images of him whenever I need to rid myself of an inopportune hard on. I know, I know, TMI!
Old 11-22-11, 09:37 PM

They (the Three Stooges boxes) are all $12.49 at Amazon right now...
Old 11-22-11, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I admit it took many years to make my peace with Shemp, but since then I have come to love the guy. I also conjure up images of him whenever I need to rid myself of an inopportune hard on. I know, I know, TMI!
I've been down that road a few times myself, dude.
Old 11-24-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just noticed this isn't the Blu-Ray thread area, but in case anyone is interested:

Some decent BD's 4 for $20:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Choose-4-...-rays/17622180

They also have 2 for $20 on these, and more: Red Riding Hood, Arthur, Rabbit Hole, Lincoln Lawyer, The Conspirator, Morning Glory and No Strings Attached:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-for-20-B...undle/17688675

Jurassic Park Trilogy BD is $30 (or $20 for DVD trilogy)

Back to the Future BD Trilogy $24

However, you need $45 worth of "Home Free" items to get free shipping. I don't see an in-store pickup option. Could always buy something temporarily, then return it in-store, to beat the system...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 11-24-11 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 02:32 PM

kenbenobi, you and I think alike once again. :-) I only ordered stuff from Walmart.com that I didn't already have, but I did have the thought that if I change my mind I can just return it in store and I wouldn't lose any shipping. That made it easy to hit the $45 mark. A lot of what I bought I either don't know the movie or have to decide if it's a worthy DVD to BD upgrade at $5. My only worry is if Walmart doesn't pro-rate everything to $5 each (like they've done in some of their B2G1F sales where if you return the "free" one you get back maybe $1).

I ordered pretty early this morning and stuff kept disappearing out of my cart and then I had to delete and redo that group of 4. Too bad Walmart doesn't list the titles alphabetically in their little window. I have a feeling that most of the 4 for $20 BDs are going to be what we see in the wrapped $5 displays once they're opened tonight. Of course I won't remember what I ordered nor have time to consult a list, so I'll probably end up duplicating. All of the rest will be returned in the next month when I've had time to take a breath.
Old 11-27-11, 06:47 PM
ADP

Large new shipment in at my local Walmart

Plenty of John Wayne titles (Mostly WWII titles)
Von Ryan's Express
Plenty of other War and Western

I ended up getting Von Ryan's Express as I have wanted a copy for years.

All $5

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.