New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 3/22/09 to 3/28/09

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 3/22/09 to 3/28/09

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 3/22/09 to 3/28/09

With purchase of Quantum of Solace at FYE, you get an exclusive poster of the cover art (rolled in a plastic sheath).

Oh, and as a follow-up to my Indiana Jones steelbook find from earlier this week, I saw them again today at FYE, where they had what appeared to be the same sticker as the one I saw at Best Buy (a beige sticker and brown text). So it looks like there is no difference in these "exclusives," and as proposed by Snausages above, is quite possibly just a mistake.

Last edited by Ajay C; 03-24-09 at 11:41 PM. Reason: fixed grammar
Old 03-25-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 3/22/09 to 3/28/09

Originally Posted by Ajay C
With purchase of Quantum of Solace at FYE, you get an exclusive poster of the cover art (rolled in a plastic sheath)...
weird. fye (at least the one near me) seems to be getting really lazy with the marketing and advertising of their exclusives. i have seen no mention of this in their pre-order guide or on in-store pop. shame imho.

Originally Posted by Trevor
...Also found a new-to-me (I think) exclusive at Best Buy. The horror film Beyond the Door has a 2nd disc exclusive to the BB version, featuring the US theatrical cut and an extended interview with star Juliet Mills.
yesh this is one of them under the radar bestbuy exclusives. kinda similar to the dead pit 2-disk bestbuy exclusive.

and just fyi, the 1-disk beyond the door came with a limited edition slipcover with different artwork directly from code red (the slipcover under the manufacturer shrink).
Old 03-25-09, 06:52 AM

I almost didn't buy it, as who knows, I may have bought it months ago and it is buried somewhere here in these mountains. But I guess I can at least break even on selling the dupe if I find another copy buried here months from now.

Is the movie any good?
LOL! Have not even broken the seal on it yet. Like you, its in a mound somewhere. I need a bigger rec room!

Really? Those are rare? I see multiple copies at both Best Buys near me on a refular basis. Maybe I ought yo pick up a copy then. Is the movie any good?
Out of all the BBs around me I only found it at one store.
Old 03-25-09, 07:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Updates made.
Old 03-25-09, 08:16 PM

got a new update for you.

Stopped by Wal Mart today to check and see if they had any kind of exclusive for Star Wars - The Clone Wars - A Galaxy Divided and lo and behold they have an exclusive bonus episode. There is a sticker on the front of the slipcover that says "Only at Wal Mart, Includes Bonus 5th Episode, Downfall of a Droid".

And it was only $14.97.
Old 03-26-09, 06:46 AM

^ Darn, that was one title I wanted no part of, but now I'm tempted.

Found a sale on an older exclusive last night. Remember how the recent release of Horton Hears a Who had an exclusive at Amazon? It was the 2 disc SE, packaged with a plush and an audiobook CD. It started off at like $39, but was just reduced to $20.
Old 03-26-09, 05:13 PM

^ Darn, that was one title I wanted no part of, but now I'm tempted.
I hear you bro. It's a rather lackluster release with no kind of bonus features or anything, but I'm a Star Wars junkie so I'll buy anything they put out. If only they'd release the Holiday Special on DVD, lol.
Old 03-26-09, 06:48 PM

Trevor, am I reading your updates correctly?

No exclusives at Borders this week for 007 or Star Wars?

That's the one major retailer I can't hit regularly anymore, since the locations closest to me closed last year.
Old 03-27-09, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by lee_hero
I hear you bro. It's a rather lackluster release with no kind of bonus features or anything, but I'm a Star Wars junkie so I'll buy anything they put out. If only they'd release the Holiday Special on DVD, lol.
Why would anyone be interested, even with the extra episode? The whole season will be out later this year.
Old 03-27-09, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by RD1973
Why would anyone be interested, even with the extra episode?
Because one retailer added a free Yoda patch, one added a free poster and another added a bonus episode.

That kind of stuff hooks me EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Though I'm aware enough to acknowledge it, I'm seemingly helpless to resist it.

I say this while fully admitting that if any of these extras were sitting on the shelf for sale, I would likely pass right over them. Do I really need or want any of them? Not at all.

But make it an exclusive, a limited run or a freebie and I absolutely, positively MUST have it.

I too was going to pass on this single-disc release and wait for the complete season set, but now I'm buying the damn thing 3 times over.

I'm not proud of this, but there it is.

There is something seriously, seriously wrong with me...

Last edited by Ajay C; 03-27-09 at 09:38 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-27-09, 09:45 PM

Most releases, I could care less about the different exclusives. However Star Wars is another story. I simply must have them all. I grew up on the original trilogy, now I have a son of my own who loves Star Wars as well. Whether his addiction turns out as bad as mine we'll have to see. My SW collection is massive and includes a tattoo of Boba Fett.
Old 03-27-09, 10:09 PM

Trevor, am I reading your updates correctly?

No exclusives at Borders this week for 007 or Star Wars?

That's the one major retailer I can't hit regularly anymore, since the locations closest to me closed last year.
None at the one Borders I checked, but you never know. That store may have put them out later that evening, they might have been sold out, etc etc
Old 03-27-09, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by lee_hero
My SW collection is massive and includes a tattoo of Boba Fett.
The nice thing about the tattoo part of the collection is that it doesn't take up much room.
Old 03-28-09, 02:31 AM

Because one retailer added a free Yoda patch, one added a free poster and another added a bonus episode.

That kind of stuff hooks me EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Though I'm aware enough to acknowledge it, I'm seemingly helpless to resist it.

I say this while fully admitting that if any of these extras were sitting on the shelf for sale, I would likely pass right over them. Do I really need or want any of them? Not at all.

But make it an exclusive, a limited run or a freebie and I absolutely, positively MUST have it.

I too was going to pass on this single-disc release and wait for the complete season set, but now I'm buying the damn thing 3 times over.

I'm not proud of this, but there it is.

There is something seriously, seriously wrong with me...

But there's nothing exclusive about that extra disc. Its not a documentary or motion comic or something. Its a fifth episode added to the other four. All of this and more will be included in the set coming out later this year.
Old 03-28-09, 11:37 AM

But there's nothing exclusive about that extra disc. Its not a documentary or motion comic or something. Its a fifth episode added to the other four. All of this and more will be included in the set coming out later this year.
You're absolutely right.

In fact, I'm going to repeat this over and over to myself today and see if can quiet the voices in my head...
Old 03-28-09, 12:05 PM

Non-collecters will never understand collecters. Why would anyone collect stamps they are never going to mail? Coins they are never going to spend? Books that they could just read at the library?
Old 03-28-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a few times, i have been deeply disappointed when a store exclusive did not have an "exclusive" sticker on it. its obviously not a buy-it or dont-buy-it situation, but its part of the whole point!
Old 03-29-09, 02:20 AM

Non-collecters will never understand collecters. Why would anyone collect stamps they are never going to mail? Coins they are never going to spend? Books that they could just read at the library?

Well, I did buy 10 copies of Transformers eventhough I didn't love it, just for the exclusives. So I do understand. But there are good exclusives and shitty exclusives. And I've never seen a more pointless exclusive than that extra disc for Clone Wars.
Old 03-29-09, 12:27 PM

Well, I did buy 10 copies of Transformers eventhough I didn't love it, just for the exclusives.
I doff my cap to thee, my good man.

Seems as though we're similarly affected.

Keep on flyin' that flag...
Old 03-29-09, 01:04 PM

Well, I did buy 10 copies of Transformers eventhough I didn't love it, just for the exclusives. So I do understand. But there are good exclusives and shitty exclusives. And I've never seen a more pointless exclusive than that extra disc for Clone Wars.
I would easily argue that the extra episode is "better" than any of the lame exclusives Transformers had. They were all packaging and fluff, not at all useful. At least an extra episode is real content. And that is without even factoring in "I didn't love it".

Your better argument would be that single disc releases of any TV series are pointless. Why even buy the Clone Wars DVD at all, given that the entire season/series will eventually be released?
Old 03-29-09, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=Trevor;9356177]I would easily argue that the extra episode is "better" than any of the lame exclusives Transformers had. They were all packaging and fluff, not at all useful. At least an extra episode is real content. And that is without even factoring in "I didn't love it".

Your better argument would be that single disc releases of any TV series are pointless. Why even buy the Clone Wars DVD at all, given that the entire season/series will eventually be released?[/QUOTE]

This is my exact point. The release and the bonus disc are both worthless.
Old 03-29-09, 07:08 PM

Just got home from work, after a swing by Wal-Mart. They only had one copy of "Clone Wars" in the DVD section and the slipcover was kind of beaten up. For better or for worse, I was able to convince myself that, given the circumstances, I could allow myself to pass on the purchase. Instead, I walked to the front registers with nothing but a Led Zeppelin tribute CD (for the ridiculously low price of $2.50, at that). Unfortunately, mere moments before checking out, I stumbled upon the massive "Clone Wars" DVD display with 100+ copies in pristine condition.

*sigh*

So close. I came so close...

Last edited by Ajay C; 03-29-09 at 09:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-29-09, 08:10 PM

Well, I did buy 10 copies of Transformers eventhough I didn't love it, just for the exclusives.
I hear you, man. I absolutely hated that movie and thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but I own 4 or 5 different editions of the DVD. It sickens me a little since I still want that 2 and a half hours of my life back. Damn attractive steelbooks.
Old 03-29-09, 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=RD1973;9356615]
I would easily argue that the extra episode is "better" than any of the lame exclusives Transformers had. They were all packaging and fluff, not at all useful. At least an extra episode is real content. And that is without even factoring in "I didn't love it".

Your better argument would be that single disc releases of any TV series are pointless. Why even buy the Clone Wars DVD at all, given that the entire season/series will eventually be released?[/QUOTE]

This is my exact point. The release and the bonus disc are both worthless.
I guess it's just as pointless to buy 10 different copies of Transformers huh? I'm not here for arguments sake, but you just won't quit. I just want to know what makes it so pointless to own a single copy of A Galaxy Divided but not so to own 10 different copies of Transformers. Do you watch all 10? I surely doubt it, thus it's pointless to have them.

I stated before, I'm a Star Wars fan. Star Wars fans will buy a copy of this. Will I buy the complete season when it comes out? Yes.
Old 03-29-09, 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=lee_hero;9356777]

I guess it's just as pointless to buy 10 different copies of Transformers huh? I'm not here for arguments sake, but you just won't quit. I just want to know what makes it so pointless to own a single copy of A Galaxy Divided but not so to own 10 different copies of Transformers. Do you watch all 10? I surely doubt it, thus it's pointless to have them.

I stated before, I'm a Star Wars fan. Star Wars fans will buy a copy of this. Will I buy the complete season when it comes out? Yes.
The Transformers exclusives were pretty cool and ADDED VALUE to the 2-disc set (Steelbooks, comics, motion comic dvd, book, booklet, online featurettes, etc.). The five Clone Wars episodes currently available add NO VALUE to the inevitable season 1 set.

Anyway, I'm letting this go. To each their own.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.