DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   DANIEL BOONE season 1-5 for 79.99 shipped at Christianbook (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/550884-daniel-boone-season-1-5-79-99-shipped-christianbook.html)

That'sAllFolks 03-02-09 04:13 PM

DANIEL BOONE season 1-5 for 79.99 shipped at Christianbook

Title says it all:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...W&view=details

I don't really have any interest, but seems like a good deal.

Jim 03-03-09 11:48 AM

Re: DANIEL BOONE season 1-5 for 79.99 shipped at Christianbook

That's a great deal for someone that is interested in these. We have Season 2 and the picture quality is amazing for something that is 45 years old. They did an excellent job restoring the episodes.

standbyme 03-03-09 02:50 PM

Daniel Boone is one of my guilty pleasures...i'm not sure if anyone who didn't grow up with it could watch it...but I still enjoy it. I am amazed that these were not edited heavily to comply with the politically correct world that we now live in. The picture quality IS very good...they even tweaked the sound.

bsmith 03-03-09 03:51 PM

Well I broke down and ordered it. I figured at less then 60 cents an episode (hour) it is pretty cheap entertainment. I remember seeing a few episodes as a kid and liking it.

Also, DVDs from small outfits like this have a way of going OOP more quickly and I have a feeling part of this deal is to get rid of stock. Chances are it won't be this low again.

BobO'Link 03-03-09 06:18 PM

^It's actually been this price at CB for ~6 months. At one point you could have purchased the seasons individually for just a few $$ less, also w/free shipping, but they've gone up while this has not.

SLASHFACE 03-04-09 12:17 AM

Daniel Boone was a helluva man

Travis McClain 03-04-09 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by standbyme (Post 9303332)
i'm not sure if anyone who didn't grow up with it could watch it...but I still enjoy it.

I don't know if this counts or not, but I discovered the series as a kid in reruns in the late 1980s. My younger brother and I got into it enough that our mom took a day and took us not only to Fort Boonesborough, but to Boone's grave in Frankfort on the way back. I think this series has a lot to do with my philosophy regarding historical depictions in TV and film. My degree was earned in history, so I'm quick to pick up on discrepancies and liberties taken by the storytellers.

While I'm annoyed anytime the general public is misled by things shown on screen, so long as the essence of the story rings true and it's enjoyable, I am content that those who are interested can do their own research on the subject. Thanks to the Internet, that's far easier now than it was when I was younger, and I suspect more people today take the time to go to Wikipedia or Google something they saw in a movie.

In regards to Daniel Boone, they got a lot right, even if they did cater to some of the myths that have long since been debunked. Boone himself was fascinating, and I suspect I'm not the only person to come away from this series with a keen interest in further studying the man himself. To that end, I would call the series a resounding success--despite its flaws.

bsmith 03-06-09 10:27 PM

Well...I got my Daniel Boone collection today. An interesting thing of note was that one of the seasons had a BestBuy sticker on it for $45.

btlives 03-06-09 11:25 PM

Too bad this does not include the 6th and final season.
I wonder if they lost the rights to it or something?

bsmith 03-07-09 04:46 AM

Someone said that ChristianBooks has had this deal for something like 6 months. It is my guess that they picked up stock from someone else dumping it as too hard to sell at the retail price (e.g., BB). Season 6 was only released last November so it was probably after the exchange happened.

obidawsn 03-07-09 06:56 AM

My dad loves these shows. I've been picking the sets up with Deep Discounts 20% sales and giving them to him as gifts. He got behind on them for a while, but I think he picked them back up, recently. Since he already has 3 seasons of them, this set isn't worth it for me. But maybe I'll try to pick up the rest of them, soon. It looks like DD is out of S4 and I don't see the others listed, so buying them from CB may be my best bet. Too bad they don't have S6. Does anyone know if they ever put out coupons?

P.S. I think it's funny that the S1-S4 set is $10 higher than the S1-S5 set.

standbyme 03-07-09 09:12 AM

A little note there were/are some defective Season 1 sets out there...make sure to watch the "Lac Duquesne" episode...there is a batch that the episode just cuts off 5 minutes before it ends...it leaves you hanging with the plot and there is no ending theme song or anything. I bought mine (sealed/new) off of an Amazon seller...he was an honest seller and tried to get me a good one, but his entire batch was bad. He kept sending me a replacement disc without watching them...after the third defective one, HE started watching them and told me he gave up after 20 to find a good one. (He even let me keep my set and completely refunded my money in the end.) I haven't got a perfect set yet...I figured I would wait long enough to make sure the bad ones were all gone.

BobO'Link 03-07-09 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by obidawsn (Post 9311435)
...Does anyone know if they ever put out coupons?...

^They have occasional "coupon" codes. There is a Free Shipping sale about 3 times per year. I recall a 10% off sale a while back during a site-wide free shipping promo, but they usually just have a special catalog of items on sale. As the Easter season is upon us, look for a free shipping offer soon. Since the DB "sets" already have FS why wait unless you only need a season or two. It's also suprising at how hard it is to find these in stock anywhere as they are not listed as OOP on Michael's Movie Mayhem, although amazon shows them to be OOP.

bsmith 03-07-09 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by standbyme (Post 9311514)
A little note there were/are some defective Season 1 sets out there...make sure to watch the "Lac Duquesne" episode...there is a batch that the episode just cuts off 5 minutes before it ends...it leaves you hanging with the plot and there is no ending theme song or anything. I bought mine (sealed/new) off of an Amazon seller...he was an honest seller and tried to get me a good one, but his entire batch was bad. He kept sending me a replacement disc without watching them...after the third defective one, HE started watching them and told me he gave up after 20 to find a good one. (He even let me keep my set and completely refunded my money in the end.) I haven't got a perfect set yet...I figured I would wait long enough to make sure the bad ones were all gone.

I'll check it out this evening. Is that the only problem episode that you are aware of?

standbyme 03-07-09 10:40 AM

^I did not find anything else with the first 4 seasons...I am just now starting to watch Season 5, and haven't come across anything yet...and I haven't bought Season 6 yet...but Liberation says there are some Season 6 sets with a bad disc...they have a replacement program going on for that.

BKenn01 03-07-09 10:49 AM

Someone said that ChristianBooks has had this deal for something like 6 months. It is my guess that they picked up stock from someone else dumping it as too hard to sell at the retail price (e.g., BB). Season 6 was only released last November so it was probably after the exchange happened.
There was a liquidator selling these for like $5 per individual season set. But you had to take all and it was like 2000 sets.

I suspect they are making good money off these. But it is a good deal because it is a good product.

ProfessorEcho 03-08-09 06:45 PM

It's true that the quality of the color seasons is excellent, but the black and white first season has only "watchable" quality with soft contrast and very dark levels that often render night scenes incomprehensible. The company has admitted they did absolutely no restoration or remastering to the first season episodes, only the later seasons. This is something of a disappointment as it's generally agreed that the first season was the best of the series. It started out as an "adult" adventure show with some family appeal, but as the series went on it focused more and more on having mostly family values. That's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it is a marked change from the darker tone of the first season.

As for the first season episode that is missing the climax (though not the tag which more or less explains what happened), the web site for the releasing studio of this series posted that was the only print available to them. They describe the scene in question. But last time I looked there was nothing about any new sets being struck with the scene replaced and intact. If that did happen, I have not heard about it.

CalebAndCo 04-24-09 08:20 AM

Now $49.99 - Free Shipping

This deal is back, better than before:

Now $49.99

"This product ships free to addresses in the US!
(Just select Standard or UPS Ground shipping at checkout.)"

Enjoy!

BobO'Link 04-24-09 08:20 PM

^It's one of today's "Fabulous Friday Specials"... Jump on it while you can. The price will go back up tomorrow.

The Cow 04-24-09 08:37 PM

I'm in at this price. Thanks.

BobO'Link 04-25-09 10:12 AM

It's still coming up for $49.99 w/free shipping. Won't last long...

Cardsfan111 04-26-09 12:29 AM

This deal makes me wish my father were still alive. He was a big fan of the show and this would have been a great gift. I wouldn't mind picking it up myself, but my unwatched pile is too massive to drop another $50 on something I wouldn't get to for a good while.

The Cow 04-26-09 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 9409838)
This deal makes me wish my father were still alive. He was a big fan of the show and this would have been a great gift. I wouldn't mind picking it up myself, but my unwatched pile is too massive to drop another $50 on something I wouldn't get to for a good while.

That's almost spot on why I did buy it. Dad and I watched it together when I was really young, have a lot of great memories. And even then I still remember a lot of the episodes for some reason.

Haven't seen the show in years, and it probably doesn't hold up, but it does have good memories I'd like to shake up.

I read somewhere that Fess Parker and Ed Ames still hangout (or whatever you do when your are in your 80's, heh) sometimes. That's pretty cool.

Nugent 04-26-09 01:22 AM

Re: Now $49.99 - Free Shipping

Coo! Thanks for the heads up on the price drop!
Ordered a set for my dad.

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo (Post 9406630)
This deal is back, better than before:

Now $49.99

"This product ships free to addresses in the US!
(Just select Standard or UPS Ground shipping at checkout.)"

Enjoy!

calhoun07 04-26-09 01:49 AM

Awesome price.

Apparently the rest of their DVD selection isn't that fabulously priced...