DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   DANIEL BOONE season 1-5 for 79.99 shipped at Christianbook (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/550884-daniel-boone-season-1-5-79-99-shipped-christianbook.html)

That'sAllFolks 03-02-09 04:13 PM

DANIEL BOONE season 1-5 for 79.99 shipped at Christianbook

Title says it all:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...W&view=details

I don't really have any interest, but seems like a good deal.

Jim 03-03-09 11:48 AM

Re: DANIEL BOONE season 1-5 for 79.99 shipped at Christianbook

That's a great deal for someone that is interested in these. We have Season 2 and the picture quality is amazing for something that is 45 years old. They did an excellent job restoring the episodes.

standbyme 03-03-09 02:50 PM

Daniel Boone is one of my guilty pleasures...i'm not sure if anyone who didn't grow up with it could watch it...but I still enjoy it. I am amazed that these were not edited heavily to comply with the politically correct world that we now live in. The picture quality IS very good...they even tweaked the sound.

bsmith 03-03-09 03:51 PM

Well I broke down and ordered it. I figured at less then 60 cents an episode (hour) it is pretty cheap entertainment. I remember seeing a few episodes as a kid and liking it.

Also, DVDs from small outfits like this have a way of going OOP more quickly and I have a feeling part of this deal is to get rid of stock. Chances are it won't be this low again.

BobO'Link 03-03-09 06:18 PM

^It's actually been this price at CB for ~6 months. At one point you could have purchased the seasons individually for just a few $$ less, also w/free shipping, but they've gone up while this has not.

SLASHFACE 03-04-09 12:17 AM

Daniel Boone was a helluva man

Travis McClain 03-04-09 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by standbyme (Post 9303332)
i'm not sure if anyone who didn't grow up with it could watch it...but I still enjoy it.

I don't know if this counts or not, but I discovered the series as a kid in reruns in the late 1980s. My younger brother and I got into it enough that our mom took a day and took us not only to Fort Boonesborough, but to Boone's grave in Frankfort on the way back. I think this series has a lot to do with my philosophy regarding historical depictions in TV and film. My degree was earned in history, so I'm quick to pick up on discrepancies and liberties taken by the storytellers.

While I'm annoyed anytime the general public is misled by things shown on screen, so long as the essence of the story rings true and it's enjoyable, I am content that those who are interested can do their own research on the subject. Thanks to the Internet, that's far easier now than it was when I was younger, and I suspect more people today take the time to go to Wikipedia or Google something they saw in a movie.

In regards to Daniel Boone, they got a lot right, even if they did cater to some of the myths that have long since been debunked. Boone himself was fascinating, and I suspect I'm not the only person to come away from this series with a keen interest in further studying the man himself. To that end, I would call the series a resounding success--despite its flaws.

bsmith 03-06-09 10:27 PM

Well...I got my Daniel Boone collection today. An interesting thing of note was that one of the seasons had a BestBuy sticker on it for $45.

btlives 03-06-09 11:25 PM

Too bad this does not include the 6th and final season.
I wonder if they lost the rights to it or something?

bsmith 03-07-09 04:46 AM

Someone said that ChristianBooks has had this deal for something like 6 months. It is my guess that they picked up stock from someone else dumping it as too hard to sell at the retail price (e.g., BB). Season 6 was only released last November so it was probably after the exchange happened.

obidawsn 03-07-09 06:56 AM

My dad loves these shows. I've been picking the sets up with Deep Discounts 20% sales and giving them to him as gifts. He got behind on them for a while, but I think he picked them back up, recently. Since he already has 3 seasons of them, this set isn't worth it for me. But maybe I'll try to pick up the rest of them, soon. It looks like DD is out of S4 and I don't see the others listed, so buying them from CB may be my best bet. Too bad they don't have S6. Does anyone know if they ever put out coupons?

P.S. I think it's funny that the S1-S4 set is $10 higher than the S1-S5 set.

standbyme 03-07-09 09:12 AM

A little note there were/are some defective Season 1 sets out there...make sure to watch the "Lac Duquesne" episode...there is a batch that the episode just cuts off 5 minutes before it ends...it leaves you hanging with the plot and there is no ending theme song or anything. I bought mine (sealed/new) off of an Amazon seller...he was an honest seller and tried to get me a good one, but his entire batch was bad. He kept sending me a replacement disc without watching them...after the third defective one, HE started watching them and told me he gave up after 20 to find a good one. (He even let me keep my set and completely refunded my money in the end.) I haven't got a perfect set yet...I figured I would wait long enough to make sure the bad ones were all gone.

BobO'Link 03-07-09 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by obidawsn (Post 9311435)
...Does anyone know if they ever put out coupons?...

^They have occasional "coupon" codes. There is a Free Shipping sale about 3 times per year. I recall a 10% off sale a while back during a site-wide free shipping promo, but they usually just have a special catalog of items on sale. As the Easter season is upon us, look for a free shipping offer soon. Since the DB "sets" already have FS why wait unless you only need a season or two. It's also suprising at how hard it is to find these in stock anywhere as they are not listed as OOP on Michael's Movie Mayhem, although amazon shows them to be OOP.

bsmith 03-07-09 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by standbyme (Post 9311514)
A little note there were/are some defective Season 1 sets out there...make sure to watch the "Lac Duquesne" episode...there is a batch that the episode just cuts off 5 minutes before it ends...it leaves you hanging with the plot and there is no ending theme song or anything. I bought mine (sealed/new) off of an Amazon seller...he was an honest seller and tried to get me a good one, but his entire batch was bad. He kept sending me a replacement disc without watching them...after the third defective one, HE started watching them and told me he gave up after 20 to find a good one. (He even let me keep my set and completely refunded my money in the end.) I haven't got a perfect set yet...I figured I would wait long enough to make sure the bad ones were all gone.

I'll check it out this evening. Is that the only problem episode that you are aware of?

standbyme 03-07-09 10:40 AM

^I did not find anything else with the first 4 seasons...I am just now starting to watch Season 5, and haven't come across anything yet...and I haven't bought Season 6 yet...but Liberation says there are some Season 6 sets with a bad disc...they have a replacement program going on for that.

BKenn01 03-07-09 10:49 AM

Someone said that ChristianBooks has had this deal for something like 6 months. It is my guess that they picked up stock from someone else dumping it as too hard to sell at the retail price (e.g., BB). Season 6 was only released last November so it was probably after the exchange happened.
There was a liquidator selling these for like $5 per individual season set. But you had to take all and it was like 2000 sets.

I suspect they are making good money off these. But it is a good deal because it is a good product.

ProfessorEcho 03-08-09 06:45 PM

It's true that the quality of the color seasons is excellent, but the black and white first season has only "watchable" quality with soft contrast and very dark levels that often render night scenes incomprehensible. The company has admitted they did absolutely no restoration or remastering to the first season episodes, only the later seasons. This is something of a disappointment as it's generally agreed that the first season was the best of the series. It started out as an "adult" adventure show with some family appeal, but as the series went on it focused more and more on having mostly family values. That's not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it is a marked change from the darker tone of the first season.

As for the first season episode that is missing the climax (though not the tag which more or less explains what happened), the web site for the releasing studio of this series posted that was the only print available to them. They describe the scene in question. But last time I looked there was nothing about any new sets being struck with the scene replaced and intact. If that did happen, I have not heard about it.

CalebAndCo 04-24-09 08:20 AM

Now $49.99 - Free Shipping

This deal is back, better than before:

Now $49.99

"This product ships free to addresses in the US!
(Just select Standard or UPS Ground shipping at checkout.)"

Enjoy!

BobO'Link 04-24-09 08:20 PM

^It's one of today's "Fabulous Friday Specials"... Jump on it while you can. The price will go back up tomorrow.

The Cow 04-24-09 08:37 PM

I'm in at this price. Thanks.

BobO'Link 04-25-09 10:12 AM

It's still coming up for $49.99 w/free shipping. Won't last long...

Cardsfan111 04-26-09 12:29 AM

This deal makes me wish my father were still alive. He was a big fan of the show and this would have been a great gift. I wouldn't mind picking it up myself, but my unwatched pile is too massive to drop another $50 on something I wouldn't get to for a good while.

The Cow 04-26-09 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 9409838)
This deal makes me wish my father were still alive. He was a big fan of the show and this would have been a great gift. I wouldn't mind picking it up myself, but my unwatched pile is too massive to drop another $50 on something I wouldn't get to for a good while.

That's almost spot on why I did buy it. Dad and I watched it together when I was really young, have a lot of great memories. And even then I still remember a lot of the episodes for some reason.

Haven't seen the show in years, and it probably doesn't hold up, but it does have good memories I'd like to shake up.

I read somewhere that Fess Parker and Ed Ames still hangout (or whatever you do when your are in your 80's, heh) sometimes. That's pretty cool.

Nugent 04-26-09 01:22 AM

Re: Now $49.99 - Free Shipping

Coo! Thanks for the heads up on the price drop!
Ordered a set for my dad.

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo (Post 9406630)
This deal is back, better than before:

Now $49.99

"This product ships free to addresses in the US!
(Just select Standard or UPS Ground shipping at checkout.)"

Enjoy!

calhoun07 04-26-09 01:49 AM

Awesome price.

Apparently the rest of their DVD selection isn't that fabulously priced...

Trevor 04-26-09 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 9409838)

Same here. :(

I passed for the same reason. Even though I've been watching the heck out of my DVDs the past year+, it will still take me several years (if not a dozen) to get thru my unwatched mountain. By then, this set will be down to that price or lower again.

That'sAllFolks 04-26-09 11:22 AM

Deal is still on, even though when I called a CSR on Friday, she said it wa a one-day deal.

Sometimes CBD runs weekend specials and this may be one of them. I don't know if this will end today or not, but if you REALLY want it, I wouldn't wait.

ProfessorEcho 04-26-09 02:26 PM

I wouldn't count on getting this for any cheaper in the near or distant future. I believe the company that released it is out of business and all of these seasons are destined to join the first one and go out-of-print sooner or later. Right now even the secondary markets are selling this show relatively cheaply for the individual seasons, though nothing as cheap as this $10 per season deal, which is incredible. Eventually what's going to happen is that it will begin to sell out everywhere and then the prices will start to climb back up to collector's levels.

A similar situation occurred with Image's release of NAKED CITY, which I bought at a big sale at Amazon for $12 each. Within six months Image lost the rights to license the show and everyone sold out on it. I watched my copies and re-sold them for $125-$150 per set. It's funny, but once something goes out-of-print suddenly everyone wants it!

The first season of DANIEL BOONE is by far the best in terms of story and character, it can be very dark and gritty and a all around adult adventure show with added appeal for kids. Unfortunately that it is the one season on DVD with the worst transfer quality, as indicated in posts above. After that the series becomes more of a family show, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but some of the suspenseful realism from the first season gradually fades with succeeding season. However, it is still a very entertaining series throughout its run. The transfers for the second through sixth season are immaculate and the colors are amazing, looking better than when the show originally aired.

Also, a very aggressive, but not intrusive, 5.1. redub has been applied for all six seasons and it is one of the best 5.1 redubs I've ever heard. Normally I am not a fan of those as I think they tend to take away from the original presentation, but here it works extremely well and effectively. Of course, the broadcast mono sound track is also included as an option.

$50 is still a lot of money, especially in this economy we are mired in at present, but for anyone on the fence thinking this will come down still lower, I don't believe that will happen. As it stands, this is one of the best deals for TV on DVD that I've ever seen.

Trevor 04-26-09 03:02 PM

^ Well written post. But really the best you've ever seen? There have been hundreds of TV seasons available for $10 per season or less, pretty much everything ever released has been found for $15 or less per season by one of us here. Is this series that good? Not sure if I ever saw an episode actually.

GaryO 04-26-09 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9410488)
^ Well written post. But really the best you've ever seen? There have been hundreds of TV seasons available for $10 per season or less, pretty much everything ever released has been found for $15 or less per season by one of us here. Is this series that good? Not sure if I ever saw an episode actually.

But how many HOUR long shows, with a minimum of 26 episodes per season, can be had for $10 a season? None that I know of. Every once in a great while a half hour sitcom might go on sale for around that price, but not hour long shows that had 48 to 50 minute running times! This is the deal of all deals. And whether or not the series is good would depend on individual taste, but it ran for 6 seasons.

Gary

ProfessorEcho 04-26-09 03:30 PM

I said "one of the best" deals I've ever seen. ;)

Given that there are 28 hour long episodes on 8 discs in the first season alone, I do consider it an incredible deal.

It's hard to recommend the show beyond what I said in my earlier post. I happen to enjoy period settings, especially the pre-Revolutionary War period of American history, which this series skirts by taking place initially in 1775. I also like the fact that this show, which is essentially a dramatic representation of real times and real people, had a technical adviser to make sure they got at least some stuff right. I've only watched the first season thus far and I have found it to be, on the whole, well written, acted and directed, with compelling stories and substantial character development, the latter always holding particular appeal for me.

However, on the other hand, it IS a period show and that may have its detractors. Plus, as I posted earlier, the tone of the show changes over time to be more of a family oriented show with less emphasis on the dire situations that are often found in the first season. For example, there is a scene in of the first season's darkest episodes where it is implied by (careful for its time) editing that the teenage daughter, who has been kidnapped by Indians, is about to be raped by them. To me it's obvious that's what the filmmakers had in mind when they chose to dissolve from a very threatening situation that was about to escalate. That kind of dim realism isn't as prevalent as the series goes on, but it doesn't become an out and out G rated fantasy either. They just tend to go for more life affirming stories as the series progresses, perhaps like LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE or something of that nature, although I've never seen that series at all, so the assumption is based only on what I've read.

That'sAllFolks 04-26-09 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9410488)

I'd say a bunch, if not most, of everything has seen that $15 mark at sometime .. but there are still quite a few season sets that have never seen that mark (at least as far as I've seen and I check this board alot). Of course, you might find that special combo of coupons or ebay deals that does not qualify for this discussion. (I have noticed that FOX seems to discount their TV sets the most, eventually getting to around 10/set).

I've never seen JAG, NCIS, CSI (this was close around Xmas I think), Numbers, Boston Legal (around 17-18 lowest), Medium (except that misprice at Wal-Mart.com a while ago), Ghost Whisperer, Heroes, Las Vegas, etc.

While I think eventually most will hit that mark, if you really want something, even $20 is not THAT BAD to pay for a season set --- and $50 for this is great if you like the show -- and if you don't --- then it's just fodder for the DVD shelves.

BKenn01 04-26-09 03:55 PM

It's funny, but once something goes out-of-print suddenly everyone wants it!
Yep, just sold a sealed copy of Dr. Zhivago for $50

ProfessorEcho 04-26-09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by BKenn01 (Post 9410563)
Yep, just sold a sealed copy of Dr. Zhivago for $50

Nice. Thanks for the heads up! I might as well list mine as it's still sealed and this is one title I would most likely get on Blu if it ever gets released and I ever get a Blu player, LOL.

Trevor 04-26-09 05:28 PM

Darn, you all suck. I was hoping for reasons not to buy it. :)

You're right that hour long dramas are harder to find cheap. I usually cycle CH TV accounts for those. Back on the fence on this, a few hours to decide....

BobO'Link 04-26-09 07:47 PM

^Well, I'll add my voice to those praising the show. Speaking strictly from memory from when it first aired, it's quite good, especially the first season. I remember it getting more and more "friendly" as it went on becoming more like most family based drama programs of the era before it ended. It's good, "family" entertainment with lots of adventure and not "PC" like junk on TV today. People actually speak their mind.. logically, intelligently, coherently without fear of reprimand from someone who doesn't agree. In fact friends often disagree on things without it devolving into a name calling/brawling event.

For $10/season it's a no-brainer for me. I jumped on it. I'll pick up season 6 just as soon as it goes on sale somewhere.

Dexter Douglas 04-26-09 08:49 PM

I couldn't pass this up at this price. The best part is that the wife is more excited to get this than I am!

bsmith 04-26-09 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 9410535)
I'd say a bunch, if not most, of everything has seen that $15 mark at sometime .. but there are still quite a few season sets that have never seen that mark (at least as far as I've seen and I check this board alot). Of course, you might find that special combo of coupons or ebay deals that does not qualify for this discussion. (I have noticed that FOX seems to discount their TV sets the most, eventually getting to around 10/set).

I've never seen JAG, NCIS, CSI (this was close around Xmas I think), Numbers, Boston Legal (around 17-18 lowest), Medium (except that misprice at Wal-Mart.com a while ago), Ghost Whisperer, Heroes, Las Vegas, etc.

While I think eventually most will hit that mark, if you really want something, even $20 is not THAT BAD to pay for a season set --- and $50 for this is great if you like the show -- and if you don't --- then it's just fodder for the DVD shelves.

And not to forget the trend of splitting seasons into two volume sets. I recently picked up both volumes of Perry Mason season 1 for $21 a piece. I could see where a deal might come around at some point where each volume could be had for $15, but I wouldn't hold my breath for each volume to come out at $7.50 a piece to make it $15 for a season.

In the case of Daniel Boone, I believe I read that they didn't sell well. So this is a case of them trying to dump a lot of stock. The original price seemed kind of high for this show. I guess if one is lucky enough to happen to like shows that the majority don't want to buy, they will come across these finds more often. As it so happens I bought the 5 season set when it was $79. One of the seasons had a BestBuy sticker on it.

I came across a deal for McHale's Navy where I got season 1 for $10. Unfortunately, it hasn't held up as well as I had hoped, so it is now in the to be sold bin. Sometimes even with deals you get what you pay for.

dollfins1 04-26-09 11:01 PM

in for one set. thank you for the deal.

Trevor 04-27-09 10:12 AM

Still $49.99. I bought one darn it.