Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon's Deal of the Day (1/25): Six Feet Under Complete Series $60

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon's Deal of the Day (1/25): Six Feet Under Complete Series $60

Got mine today, with the free, slowpoke shipping.

Mine came with 3 tombstones on top, is that weird?
Old 01-30-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Got mine today, with the free, slowpoke shipping.

Mine came with 3 tombstones on top, is that weird?
You lucky bastard! You stole mine didn't you? As a matter of fact after looking at the one that I received today from Amazon and comparing it to the 4 sets I saw at a B&M I would swear that mine was re-shrinkwrapped for whatever reason. I would almost bet that mine was a set sent back and then re-wrapped and sold again. The plastic is the softer type not the smooth, more rigid plastic. It is wrapped entirely around the set where the B&M sets actually had an opening in the plastic at the top where the tombstone is. The Amazon set doesn't allow you to "feel the grass" like the B&M set. It's like rubbing on a pair of panties.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 01-30-09 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Surprised! I received it today
Old 01-30-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
Surprised! I received it today
With tombstone?
Old 01-30-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I would almost bet that mine was a set sent back and then re-wrapped and sold again. The plastic is the softer type not the smooth, more rigid plastic. It is wrapped entirely around the set where the B&M sets actually had an opening in the plastic at the top where the tombstone is. The Amazon set doesn't allow you to "feel the grass" like the B&M set.
Sounds like you definitely got a rewrapped set. The one I got from Amazon had the opening at the top.
Old 01-30-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leeta
Sounds like you definitely got a rewrapped set. The one I got from Amazon had the opening at the top.
I'm going to have them send me another one. It sucks that they're trying to shaft me with a new/used set.
Old 01-30-09, 09:34 PM

I would almost bet that mine was a set sent back and then re-wrapped and sold again. The plastic is the softer type not the smooth, more rigid plastic. It is wrapped entirely around the set where the B&M sets actually had an opening in the plastic at the top where the tombstone is. The Amazon set doesn't allow you to feel the grass like the B&M set.
Yeah, it sure does sound like your SFU set was re-wrapped. Someone at a B&M probably fondled the grass and decided it would be cool to 5 finger discount the tombstone. The set was eventually returned to the distributor, then re-wrapped and shipped to Amazon and then to you, the lucky owner...

I've seen dvds with Walmart and Bestbuy price tags among the $3 Sony dvds at Biglots. It guess that's the chance we take when the studios/distributors have alot of excess inventory and places like Amazon can negotiate large discounts on dvds that have had a MRSP reduction because they are no longer selling as briskly. All that unsold/returned merchandise can be flushed through the distribution system real fast with Amazon's Deal of the Day promotions...

I hope my set is not a re-wrap...

Last edited by DeepSleep; 01-30-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
Yeah, it sure does sound like your SFU set was re-wrapped. Someone at a B&M probably fondled the grass and decided it would be cool to 5 finger discount the tombstone. The set was eventually returned to the distributor, then re-wrapped and shipped to Amazon and then to you, the lucky owner...

I've seen dvds with Walmart and Bestbuy price tags among the $3 Sony dvds at Biglots. It guess that's the chance we take when the studios/distributors have alot of excess inventory and places like Amazon can negotiate large discounts on dvds that have had a MRSP reduction because they are no longer selling as briskly. All that unsold/returned merchandise can be flushed through the distribution system real fast with Amazon's Deal of the Day promotions...

I hope my set is not a re-wrap...

Thanks for the response and the info. So what would you do in this situation?
Old 01-30-09, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the response and the info. So what would you do in this situation?
Well, the straight up thing to do would be to have Amazon send you a prepaid label to ship it back to them. (that dvd set probably has a shipping weight of 5 pounds). Explain to them that the case is damaged and missing a part, hopefully they will send you a replacement on an expedited basis.

I have read in the newspaper that some folks (not me or anyone else on DVDTalk for that matter) would go to a B&M store and buy a set, after making sure that it is in pristine condition and then return the other set. The only problem is that the original set probably has a sensor tag that would go off when you bring it in for the return, since Amazon probably does not deactivate them before shipping....
Old 01-30-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It wouldn't be unusual for Amazon to send you the return label and then go ahead and ship out your replacement set before they receive the damaged set. When there is a problem, they will often send out a replacement immediately with 1-Day shipping (or at least they used to). Don't know if they still do that...
Old 01-31-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What is this tombstone everyone is talking about? I haven't got my set yet, it just shipped 2 days ago. If anyone has a picture could they post it so I know what to look for? Thanks
Old 01-31-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine yesterday, and the box was intact, but one entire season of discs was completely scuffed -- badly! I don't understand how this can happen because they seem so secure. This is why I hate complete series box sets. Same thing happened with my Buffy set.
Old 01-31-09, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
What is this tombstone everyone is talking about? I haven't got my set yet, it just shipped 2 days ago. If anyone has a picture could they post it so I know what to look for? Thanks
Here is a pic of the top of the box set which shows the tombstone:

Please note that the shrink wrap has an opening at the top, so you can feel the grass and touch the tombstone.

If your box set is completely shrink wrapped, including all the grass area, then you have a set that has been re-wrapped.
Old 01-31-09, 11:04 AM

On the side of the box set, you should probably have the 2 stickers affixed to the shrink wrap. This is another indication that your set is factory sealed and is not a returned item that has been re-shrink wrapped.

Old 01-31-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine didn't have the HBO sticker either so it was definitely re-wrapped. Plus, there were several discs throughout the set that looked like they were previous rental discs from Blockbuster or had been used as a grinder disc on a construction site. I contacted Amazon for a replacement and will piece together a good set with the two sets.
Old 01-31-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a pic of the top of the box set which shows the tombstone:

Please note that the shrink wrap has an opening at the top, so you can feel the grass and touch the tombstone.

If your box set is completely shrink wrapped, including all the grass area, then you have a set that has been re-wrapped.
Thanks for that. I should be getting mine sometime next week, hopefully it looks the same. For some reason when I heard tombstone I was thinking that it stuck up from the box and was wondering how that would be packaged. That looks really nice, thanks again.
Old 01-31-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
Thanks for that. I should be getting mine sometime next week, hopefully it looks the same. For some reason when I heard tombstone I was thinking that it stuck up from the box and was wondering how that would be packaged. That looks really nice, thanks again.
If I could ever figure out how to post pics, I've tried every way possible, I would post a pic of my tombstoneless set.
Old 01-31-09, 12:32 PM

You could take a pic and email it to me and I'll post it in this thread. Ideally the pic should be about 25 to 50k. I'll send you an email on the DVDtalk message system with my email address... email sent.

Last edited by DeepSleep; 01-31-09 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could take a pic and email it to me and I'll post it in this thread. Ideally the pic should be about 25 to 50k. I'll send you an email on the DVDtalk message system with my email address... email sent.
I emailed it to you. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-31-09, 01:37 PM

Here is a pic of the top of the SFU set that DVDTalker dsa_shea received from Amazon:

Notice that the tombstone is missing.

In addition, at the top of the pic, the grass is torn and on the upper right side the grass at the edge is starting to curl over.

Overall, the grass looks very worn, as if the Superbowl was played on this grass....

This is really bad stuff...
Old 01-31-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,265 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Yeah, I would definitely ask for a new set, we may have gotten a good deal on this but we still should get a "new" set that we'll be happy to display.

You know, after looking at the pics, the tombstone really makes the grave theme box. Without it it's just a brown box with green felt on top.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive...

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 01-31-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVDTalker dsa_shea received from Amazon:

This is really bad stuff...
Wow,That's horrible....
Old 01-31-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The tombstone marker really does make the set. Mine was definitely a repackaged set and a horrible one at that. A couple of the discs looked as if they were thrown on the concrete and run over a few times. I should take a picture of them and have them posted as well. You would be amazed at how shitty they look. The only thing is getting the scratches to show up in the pic.
Old 01-31-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The set i ordered hasnt even shipped yet. The confirmation said not to expect it until after the 5th.
Old 02-02-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just waiting for a confirmation on my replacement order. Hopefully it will actually be a new set and not a re-wrap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.