Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Deals (post your finds here)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Deals (post your finds here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Deals (post your finds here)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't really see a difference. In both cases you're taking advantage of a store's mistake. If a customer specifically did something to sneak out with a movie that wasn't paid for, it's one thing. Criticizing someone's morals because of a store's mistake is stupid and unnecessary.
I think it's funny that the movie was Passion of the Christ.
Old 02-19-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went on a shopping spree after checking prices out against online. Bought:
Iron Man 2-disc
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 3-disc
Tom & Jerry Spotlight Vol. 3
The Kite Runner
Bad News Bears Collection 3-dvd set
Semi-Pro 2-disc
9 to 5 - Sexist, Egotistical, Lying Hypocritical Bigot Edition
Sleeping Beauty Platinum Edition
There Will Be Blood 2-disc
The Spiderwyck Chronicles 2-disc
Shrek the Halls
Speed Racer
Tootsie
Almost Heroes
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

I'm still looking for:
Into the Wild 2-disc
Columbo - Mystery Movie Collection 1989
Columbo - Mystery Movie Collection 1990

Last edited by darkhawk; 02-20-09 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I skipped picking it up as it seems like you were talking about the Blu-ray since there were only single disk and 3-disk DVDs there.
Thanks for looking for Prince Caspian. I made the error about it being a 2-disc set. It is the 3-disc dvd set I wanted. I finally found one after looking at 4 CC in the past four days.
Old 02-19-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was there this past Monday and everything was basically a mess. No really big deals that interested me.

My sister, on the other hand, inquired about their shopping carts and whether they were also for SALE. It was the basic cart in bright red (plastic). She asked and they told her it would be $150.

She ended up buying one!!!

We loaded it in back of her mini-van. It was strange seeing that there were quite a few of them unattended in the parking lot while we had just paid for this one inside.

Last edited by Xbox69; 02-19-09 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
Any deals on the Sony S350 blu-ray player? I haven't stopped by CC myself, but if anyone does, lemme know what it's going for, if they have any.
The ones in Rochester had 1 s550 sitting there with no price. Tha twas it between 2 stores
Old 02-19-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I was there this past Monday and everything was basically a mess. No really big deals that interested me.

My sister, on the other hand, inquired about their shopping carts and whether they were also for SALE. It was the basic cart in bright red (plastic). She asked and they told her it would be $150.

We loaded it in back of her mini-van. It was strange seeing that there were quite a few of them unattended in the parking lot while we had just paid for this one inside.

150.00 for a shopping cart!!! and there were free ones in the parking lot.... What will she use it for? Maybe she should have the receipt laminated and attached to the cart to show she paid 150.00 for it.

Old 02-19-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Xbox69

Could you ask your sister if I can have $200? She obviously has too much money.
Old 02-19-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The ones in Rochester had 1 s550 sitting there with no price. Tha twas it between 2 stores
Thanks Jim! I actually see that the S550 is only $20 more than the S350 at Amazon, so I'll probably grab it there! No tax, no shipping... no brainer!
Old 02-19-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Commercial just said this is the last week.

All the locations I have been in have been mostly cleaned out. Only items really left are printers, laptops, tvs and cd/dvd/br media. Prices on these items seem better online still. If they were to drop TV prices 10%+ I think they'd actually be good deals. However, I don't think we'll see that.
Old 02-19-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

All the locations I have been in have been mostly cleaned out. Only items really left are printers, laptops, tvs and cd/dvd/br media. Prices on these items seem better online still. If they were to drop TV prices 10%+ I think they'd actually be good deals. However, I don't think we'll see that.
The only prices I was familiar with were the SONY Bravias because my uncle is in the market for one, and even last week other retail outlets were $100 cheaper than CC clearance prices.
Old 02-19-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up Sopranos Seasons 1, 2 and 3 for $30 each.

I was tempted to pick up the CEOT3K Blu-Ray for $17.50 despite not owning a HDTV or Blu-Ray player, but it is a title I would gladly upgrade.
Old 02-19-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I came close to buying Nightmare Before Christmas BD tonight for 17.50, but it wasn't enough to sway me... Things are moving at the 50% price now though. Video games are almost non-existent...
Old 02-19-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
The commercials could different for different cities, but the commercial I saw tonight said "the final weeks". When they first went into liquidation the date they stated was March 31 and obviously sooner if a particular store is emptied before the date.

My local is getting down to slim pickings. I ended up leaving with only 2 items...

Bad Lieutenant (dvd) - $3.50
Strangehold (ps3) - $10.00

All dvds/cds/video games were 50% off, but I didn't see anything else worth buying.
Old 02-19-09, 11:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I was tempted to pick up the CEOT3K Blu-Ray for $17.50 despite not owning a HDTV or Blu-Ray player, but it is a title I would gladly upgrade.
Awesome price!! I got a used one for $25, and that was hard to find.

The Circuit City nearest me was picked pretty clean earlier in the week, but I went to a store further away and the DVD section was almost fully stocked. A lot of one-off odd titles next to shelves of hundreds of "Dark Knight" DVDs. Helped that someone completely mixed in all the stock from all the sections in random order, so you have to REALLY want to search to find stuff you want.

I got South Park Season 9 for $20, "Across the Universe" Blu-ray for $15 and "Shaolin Soccer" for $5.

Still saw copies of "The Rocker," "Cloverfield," "Star Wars: Cone Wars" and a couple of the "Saw" films on Blu-ray in the store. Those just seemed to stand out among the other more common stuff. They also had five copies of the Ocean's trilogy (Ocean's Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen) on Blu-ray for 50% off $90. That's marked higher than MSRP, but it still comes off cheaper than buying online.

Same store was also nice enough to offer a testing station near the register where customers could open their electronics and try them before walking out with a dead item. A monitor and speakers were available to use.

Last edited by Minerwerks; 02-19-09 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minerwerks
I got South Park Season 9 for $20, "Across the Universe" Blu-ray for $15 and "Shaolin Soccer" for $5.

Still saw copies of "The Rocker," "Cloverfield," "Star Wars: Cone Wars" and a couple of the "Saw" films on Blu-ray in the store. Those just seemed to stand out among the other more common stuff. They also had five copies of the Ocean's trilogy (Ocean's Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen) on Blu-ray for 50% off $90. That's marked higher than MSRP, but it still comes off cheaper than buying online.
Wow, sounds like your store had a much better selection of BD's than mine. As for getting new stock, it would make sense that some stores might. Because some stores are closing sooner than others, their unsold stock will probably be sent to other stores. Also, lord knows if their website store and warehouses have sent all of their stock to the stores yet. They might have, but you never know... My local store is still kicking strong, with lots of stock on the shelves yet. I don't expect it to close in the next few weeks. When I asked them last month, they said they will probably be open for 3 more months. We shall see...
Old 02-20-09, 03:30 AM

a commercial just ran here in Van Nuys Ca. saying all cds dvds and video games are 50% off all TVs 30% off selected car audio 60% off
Old 02-20-09, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of DVDs, I was at the Tukwila store on Monday, I think, and they seemed to have quite a bit of stuff. When I had money and went back on Wednesday, they only had half the stuff they'd had before. Too bad, I'd have snagged Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for 40% off.

I might go back and see if anything changes, but who knows.
Old 02-20-09, 04:19 AM

i have a feeling that the liquidators are selling certain merch. to other stores the way compusa sold the memory cards and digital cameras to other stores ...

i went in last week hoping to find a Sony PS3 remote (for blu-ray and dvd use) i couldnt find 1 ... i went to 3 different stores and no one had them ... a week before they couldnt get rid of those things ...every store had plenty ... the only one available is the 3rd party remote ...
Old 02-20-09, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The one near me has a lot of BR and DVD stuff left. It's not moving at all while the entire game section was gone the first few days.
Old 02-20-09, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The one near me has a lot of BR and DVD stuff left. It's not moving at all while the entire game section was gone the first few days.
the store near me, well actually the 3 near me Woodland Hills, Burbank, and Van Nuys couldn't get rid of them either ... until last week... only a few BD remained ... id say 25-35 different titles had atleast 4-6 copies of each ... i saw one copy of the oceans 11 trilogy ... plenty of the 3 movie packs (night at the museum, invincible, 50 first dates)

the dvd on the other hand had plenty of everything ... im actually thinking of getting a few recent releases on SD instead of BD ...
Old 02-20-09, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone know what time they open now?
Old 02-20-09, 07:01 AM

I went to the Lakeland Florida Circuit City last Wednesday when the discount for movies was only 30%. They had six aisles of movies with one being nearly all blu-rays. I didn't buy any because they were marked at full list price and even at 30% off they were still more expensive than Amazon. There was almost no one looking at them.

I went back yesterday when the discount was up to 50%. Now there are only three aisles of movies and these aisles were packed with people. There was only about 1/4 the number of blu-rays as there were last week. I find it hard to believe they sold so many in a week. Although the aisles were packed, I was the only one looking at blu-rays. I bought The Golden Compass for $17.50.

There has been a lot of talk about how many of the liquidation prices are not good deals. There are good deals to be had, but you have to know the correct prices. Here's two examples of what I'm talking about. I bought a package of Monster ScreenClean for flat screen TVs for $10. They said it was 60% off and the price on the package was $24.99. However, Monster's website says the list price for this is only $19.99 and that's what many other stores are selling it for including Best Buy. So they are jacking some prices up before applying the discount. The other example is a movie called Arctic Tale which they have marked as $19.99. Walmart is currently selling this movie for $4.00. So someone at this sale who buys this (and I did see someone carrying around a copy) will be paying $10 for a movie they can get at Walmart for $4.00. That's not such a good deal.
Old 02-20-09, 07:44 AM
Banned

My store had a display Sony BDP-500 blu-ray player for $112.
Old 02-20-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I picked up Pride & Glory blu for $17 last night. Theres still a ton of movies and games left.

It was funny to watch the employees last night, as they were standing around tossing dvd's back and forth to each other.
Old 02-20-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My store hardly had anything. I did pick up seasons 6 & 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for $34.45 total, which was a pretty good deal considering Amazon currently has them for $21.99 each.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 02-20-09 at 07:52 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.