Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So 34,000 employees will be out of work ... how many of those were actually meaningful jobs? I'm not saying that teeanagers making minimum wage don't have an impact on the economy, but I'm saying it is not like there are 34,000 professionals making $60,000+ are now out on the streets.
This is one of the big problems with living wages. A lot of people have this bizarre assumption that only "teenagers making minimum wage" work retail. I've known far more people that were nothing of the sort than were in my retail experience. The folks who fit that bill at Circuit City (non-parent-supported teenagers) will now have no income--but I guess that isn't meaningful because they weren't "professionals"?
Old 01-17-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Circuit City Liquidation Sale Thread All Remaining U.S. Stores Starting 1/17/2009

Stopped by today. Same sale others have mentioned. Picked up a few $10 DVDs, including Last House on the Left OOP. Lots of customers were bitching that the sale wasnt that good.
Old 01-17-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
This is one of the big problems with living wages. A lot of people have this bizarre assumption that only "teenagers making minimum wage" work retail. I've known far more people that were nothing of the sort than were in my retail experience. The folks who fit that bill at Circuit City (non-parent-supported teenagers) will now have no income--but I guess that isn't meaningful because they weren't "professionals"?
Sorry -- I didn't state that they way that I should have -- I over-generalized to make a point about unemployment numbers. I know exactly what you mean, I spent most of my life in retail management.

I still would not call this 34,000 jobs lost. 6-8 hours a week at minimum wage is technically a job, yes. But in reality it would take 5-6 of those to equal a "living wage" position. I suppose that is what I am trying to say -- there are not 34,000 "living-wage" jobs being eliminated. Of those 34,000 I would be amazed if 10,000 were "living-wage" jobs. The vast majority of those 34,000 probably will not even qualify for unemployment benefits.

You are right ... most of the places that I managed I had adults making minimum wage. For most of them it was a second job. I preferred to hire people looking for a second job because I knew I couldn't provide enough for them to live on and they wouldn't quit when McDonalds started paying $1 an hour more or when we hit our slow season and 20 hours went down to 4-8 hours. I had a far lower turnover rate than the stores that hired 18-19 year old students. However, this furthers my point about "under-employment" being a bigger problem than unemployment.
Old 01-18-09, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I thought the DIVX we see on DVD players now is the codec DIVX, like I would have to download to play certain internet content on WMP or some other computer media player, I thought the CC pay-as-you-go Divx was deader than a doornail.
Yes, any "DIVX" DVD player that can be bought today means it can play .avi files encoded with the divx codec, which was jokingly named after the original Divx.

Any remaining Divx DVDs are basically useless. Unless someone wanted to crack the encryption and play them in a DVD-ROM drive, but there's no real rush to do that.
Old 01-18-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yes, any "DIVX" DVD player that can be bought today means it can play .avi files encoded with the divx codec, which was jokingly named after the original Divx.

Any remaining Divx DVDs are basically useless. Unless someone wanted to crack the encryption and play them in a DVD-ROM drive, but there's no real rush to do that.
Not to mention, the biggest knock against the original DIVX was the limited availablity of WS and 5.1 even compared to the early days of DVD. It basically VHS on a disc in many cases.

They do nice coasters, mini-frisbees, and emergency mirrors. I think we even had a thread upon the death of the DIVX format with the many uses of the discs now that the format is no good.
Old 01-18-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Sorry -- I didn't state that they way that I should have -- I over-generalized to make a point about unemployment numbers. I know exactly what you mean, I spent most of my life in retail management.

I still would not call this 34,000 jobs lost. 6-8 hours a week at minimum wage is technically a job, yes. But in reality it would take 5-6 of those to equal a "living wage" position. I suppose that is what I am trying to say -- there are not 34,000 "living-wage" jobs being eliminated. Of those 34,000 I would be amazed if 10,000 were "living-wage" jobs. The vast majority of those 34,000 probably will not even qualify for unemployment benefits.

You are right ... most of the places that I managed I had adults making minimum wage. For most of them it was a second job. I preferred to hire people looking for a second job because I knew I couldn't provide enough for them to live on and they wouldn't quit when McDonalds started paying $1 an hour more or when we hit our slow season and 20 hours went down to 4-8 hours. I had a far lower turnover rate than the stores that hired 18-19 year old students. However, this furthers my point about "under-employment" being a bigger problem than unemployment.
Point taken. Still, I do know a lot of people working full-time retail alone. Not 34,000 out of 34,000, certainly, but still a fair chunk. Even 20-30% of that would still be very much not good--though considering plenty of those second jobbers will need/want a new second job, it will increase competition for the ones remaining, and possibly shut out those who need it simply to scrape up enough to live...
Old 01-18-09, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubenR
the article I read on CNN.com said that it included the Canadian stores......
Circuit City, which filed for bankruptcy in November, will liquidate and close its 567 U. S. stores. On Thursday, the retailer held an auction to try to emerge from bankruptcy as a smaller chain. Circuit City had conducted negotiations with potential bidders to sell the company, but had advised that liquidation was possible if no deal was reached.

Circuit City subsidiary InterTan Canada Ltd., of Concord, Ont., has 765 retail stores and dealer outlets in Canada. Circuit City lawyer Gregg Galardi told a U. S. court Friday there are still bids for the Canadian business.
This excerpt from an article in a Calgary newspaper says that there is still possible bids for another company to take over the Canadian wholly-owned subsidiary of Circuit City.
Old 01-18-09, 07:04 PM

are they going to get saw v on tuesday still?
Old 01-18-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JAYARE
are they going to get saw v on tuesday still?
Doubtful. And if they do, it will be obscenely priced.
Old 01-18-09, 09:41 PM

i asked about saw and was told all new releases for this week had already been sent back
Old 01-18-09, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Not to mention, the biggest knock against the original DIVX was the limited availablity of WS and 5.1 even compared to the early days of DVD. It basically VHS on a disc in many cases.

They do nice coasters, mini-frisbees, and emergency mirrors. I think we even had a thread upon the death of the DIVX format with the many uses of the discs now that the format is no good.
That's good to know! Thanks! For me no WS = No Go!
Was the new avi format really "jokingly" named after the old one? Are the two codecs related at all? I always thought they were using the codecs from the old discs or possibly they improved upon the old one for the new one.

The new divx avi format is kinda a pain in the you know what if you're looking for a free anything to avi software converter. I'm a video editor so I'm always looking for avi as the kind of DV AVI that can be imported into non linear editing software. the new divx avi cannot.

Last edited by videoguy; 01-18-09 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-18-09, 09:55 PM

Was talking to someone in my family today who knows a guy who had a business that sold car radios to circuit city and his company like 6 months ago even got to the point where they were only going to fulfill any future radio orders by cash only because old orders weren't being paid for.

The CC idiots were trying to order more stuff despite not paying for the old orders!
Old 01-19-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by videoguy
Was talking to someone in my family today who knows a guy who had a business that sold car radios to circuit city and his company like 6 months ago even got to the point where they were only going to fulfill any future radio orders by cash only because old orders weren't being paid for.

The CC idiots were trying to order more stuff despite not paying for the old orders!
Pretty common practice. My first retail job back in 1981 was for a small electronics retailer. As soon as he knew the writing was on the wall, he'd order from any distributor that would give him credit knowing he wasn't going to pay. Eventually after he milked every one he could he shut the doors.
Old 01-19-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
Wow, over 200 people were standing in line waiting for my local store to open. People were buying all sorts of things that are cheaper elsewhere when on sale....
This is the mentality you see when a liquidation is announced. The company managing the liquidation counts on this. People are basically sheep, and will follow the mob mentality without doing too much research.

I read on another thread that someone saw a woman at a CC with about two dozen Blu-rays in her cart.....at 10% off MSRP

The real deals won't be seen for weeks, and by then, it will be down to the fixtures.
Old 01-19-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
I feel for everyone who has lost or will be losing a job. I have been there myself. But the reality is, your average hourly retail associate will have a much easier time finding a new job than a $75,000 a year salaried employee. Retail traditionally has a high rate of turn over, easily transferable skills, and laid-off workers can more easily make ends meet on the $350 a week unemployment insurance pays in the interim.
Old 01-19-09, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
This is the mentality you see when a liquidation is announced. The company managing the liquidation counts on this. People are basically sheep, and will follow the mob mentality without doing too much research.

I read on another thread that someone saw a woman at a CC with about two dozen Blu-rays in her cart.....at 10% off MSRP

The real deals won't be seen for weeks, and by then, it will be down to the fixtures.
I'm always shocked by people purchasing items from Target, CC, BB, WM, etc. for MSRP. A quick check online can find the best price available. I understand that people may not know about speedy's posts and hunt down the best prices like most of us on this board do, but I always find it hard to understand why someone would purchase a DVD for $20-$25 (weeks after release date). I rarely purchase anything in stores anymore, there just aren't as many deals that go on inside a B&M.
Old 01-19-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I feel for everyone who has lost or will be losing a job. I have been there myself. But the reality is, your average hourly retail associate will have a much easier time finding a new job than a $75,000 a year salaried employee. Retail traditionally has a high rate of turn over, easily transferable skills, and laid-off workers can more easily make ends meet on the $350 a week unemployment insurance pays in the interim.
Well, yeah, but the fact is even retail is thin on employment opportunities right now, and the loss of an entire employer won't really help that. Certainly it's not like a 75k salary position (though that's more than a LIVING wage, anyway, and I'm not one of those rich-hating folks, but all the same such a person could find a lower paying job even by 25-35k and still live just fine, though admittedly not at prior levels--but comfortably survive all the same. Obviously circumstances would vary, but by and large 75k wouldn't be a necessity), but it's not like there's an ocean of even crappy jobs right now.
Old 01-19-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Stopped by the local Circuit City yesterday afternoon. 4 or 5 guys with stick signs that said up to 30% off. No signage in store as to what % off what departments were. Saw a dvdrecorder that they had priced at $300 -10%. Same model can be had online for slightly over $200. I walked out. The store was the crowded I've seen it in years, and there were already some bare shelves. Most notoably in the dvd/blueray player area.
Old 01-19-09, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
The store was the crowded I've seen it in years, and there were already some bare shelves.
I recall when a chain of sporting goods stores went under and the one in a local mall did so well with their "going out of business" sale that it stayed in business for some years after the chain died. Wonder if this will happen to some stores?
Old 01-20-09, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Stopped by the local Circuit City yesterday afternoon. 4 or 5 guys with stick signs that said up to 30% off. No signage in store as to what % off what departments were.... I walked out. The store was the crowded I've seen it in years.
This is the exact same scene at mine. DVDs and CDs were 20% off. The only other signage that I saw was on some (not all) of their HDTVs and that was just 10% off.
Old 01-21-09, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a good laugh at my local CC when I seen Rambo two disc was still selling for 29.99.
Old 01-21-09, 08:10 AM

For what its worth, CC in Wilmington, DE did have some new stock yesterday. For instance, noticed they had "The Express" DVD for $21.99. Also, brand new Legacy Edition of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" for $16.99.

20% off above prices.
Old 01-21-09, 08:31 AM
Cool New Member

anyone in the know have a timetable of when they will markdown again and what % it will be??
Old 01-21-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by elkkthunder
anyone in the know have a timetable of when they will markdown again and what % it will be??
As a general rule of thumb; every week or two they'll increase the discount 10%. It depends on how things are selling at the current %. None of the DVD's appeared to be moving from the one I was at yesterday, but electronics were disappearing at a meager 10% off.
Old 01-22-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I'll wait until it's everything for a buck like they eventually did at Tower.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.