DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon Buy 2 Get 1 free Blu Ray sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Amazon Buy 2 Get 1 free Blu Ray sale

Originally Posted by CrashNBurn69
did the prices increase as soon as the sale started or were people able to get in on the deal with the original prices?
I placed an order at around 12:15am. The prices were already changed. However, those who had a few in their carts, managed to get the older prices. I managed to get one order through because I had three in my cart. I didn't even know what was going on until I added more titles for another order and then...BAMHOLYFUCKWERAISEDPRICES!!...and I deleted the titles from my cart for the second order.
Old 01-06-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by melih69
It is disappointing for many of us because they had such a great deal during black Friday
Black Friday. I don't expect any random sale in January to compete with a BF deal.

Anyway, here's my trashy order:

The Original Faces of Death: 30th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray]
Hell Ride [Blu-ray]
Assault on Precinct 13 (Restored Collectors Edition) [Blu-ray

$41.90/$13.96 each
Old 01-06-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by melih69
Yes we all predict that prices were going to increase but I can still do much better on average price per title. For example you can get Crash from Walmart for $10 and couple of other titles. When Amazon increase prices to $15.xx it brings the prices back where it was. $10 a piece for older titles or less popular titles. Yes still good price but these titles are already selling for low prices on the net. It is disappointing for many of us because they had such a great deal during black Friday like Buy 10 blu get $100 off and their prices were way cheaper than this. Live free or die hard was $16.99 during that sale and it is $25.95 right now. It is difficult to make us ( DVDTALKers) happy after such a great deal like that . thats all I am saying
Some titles are cheaper elsewhere, but others aren't. Obviously people can be smart about it and take advantage to get those titles cheaper.
Old 01-07-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
A number of blu's were a part of another sale that I assume ended when the buy 2 get one free started. I bought "The Decent" and "Halloween" from this previous sale and it's no shock they went up $5 or more as the previous discount ended. I wouldn't expect Amazon to stack up discounts on top of each other, although it would be nice if they would.
Exactly. People bitch and moan, but this is the cause of a number of increases.
Old 01-07-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, what you're saying is this sale is the same thing as other sales, only wrapped with a different external foil color.

Amazon in the past has had some "ok" discounts on their titles, left them alone, and still had a B2G1 sale. The savings were great.

But this. This is more like a DeepDiscount Blu-ray sale.
Old 01-07-09, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still think Blu-ray will conquer all cuz people just can't get enough of that 1080p awesomeness?

Gene Simmons was railing against lowering concert prices on the basis that once people expect to pay less for something, you can't raise the prices as high as you'd like in the future. Now he's being his usual money-grubbing self, but he has a valid point: we're all bitching that these "sales" aren't as good as the BF sales. Because Amazon sold us BDs for $9-$17 in those few days, we're no longer satisfied by ave. prices in the ~$18 range.
Old 01-07-09, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I won't compare the Black Friday deals to a typical B2G1. Because yes, that's asking too much. That was a once-a-year deal.

But I will compare previous B2G1 sales events Amazon has had in the past. And they certainly did not hike the prices like this. I simply don't remember titles shooting up like a bamboo forest when I went to checkout. This is what DeepDiscount does. I didn't expect Amazon to follow suit.

On the same note, why would I now want to buy $25+ titles? I might as well just wait for them to come down to the $15-$18 price Amazon routinely has. The whole point of a sale is to get something you normally would not. This B2G1 event is far from a sale. It's more like juggling prices and ending up paying the same, and even a little more. And if I'm going to pay the same, why spend more. I'll just get the titles as they come down in price.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-07-09 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first store that has Chicago for $15 will get my money. The closest I've seen is Amazon at one time for $20. It NEVER is in the mix for these B2G1 sales, so I wait and wait...
Old 01-07-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
we're no longer satisfied by ave. prices in the ~$18 range.
I was never satisfied for an $18 blu-ray. I won't buy a "normal" title unless it is
Old 01-07-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numes
I was never satisfied for an $18 blu-ray.
For the most part, I agree. Except for exclusives. I paid $19 for the Target exclusives of Iron Man and Indy 4. Under $20 for exclusives, and under $15 for regular versions. Those are my limits...
Old 01-07-09, 06:58 PM

Re: My response from Amazon about their "Sale"

Originally Posted by dvdirv
I sent Amazon an email regarding my frustration (and most of you!) regarding their hiking their prices just before the sale started. Here is their response:

"Greetings from Amazon.com.

I have reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I offer my sincere apologies for any misunderstanding thus far.

I understand your concern that the price of the 3 titles you intended to purchase before the discount was only $51.47 and it has now been increased an over $11 with the discount.

"However, please understand the price and availability of the items offered on our website are subject to change. It is not based on the promotions and the discounts we offer on our website.

No matter how frequently we update the website, we can only make the changes if our suppliers have made them known.

I understand that you are upset, and I regret that we have not been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer any additional insight or action on these matters.

We've appreciated your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future."
See, customers like you make companies hate to put on these sales. You knew they were going to higher the price. All of us knew and now you're upset because they did what you've predicted? Please, you're still saving money. Don't you have like 45640546545 movies you bought last month already. Do either of these two things: Wait, or don't buy it! Jesus, you don't have to buy everything and get all whiny because it's just not right. You don't go to a resturaunt and say, "Lower these prices goddammit! These prices are high!"

Last edited by moviewizguy; 01-07-09 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-17-09, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If anyone is wondering how much Amazon increased their prices just before the B2G1, cinemasquid has a rather lengthy list today of DECREASES.

- Uber Whiny DVD Polizei