Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders buy one get second movie half off from Dec 9th-13th

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 06:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borders buy one get second movie half off from Dec 9th-13th

Like the title of the thread says. All movies, DVDs, BDs, Box Sets and VHS in-stock are included in the deal. You'll need this coupon.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...A_20081212_REW
Old 12-12-08, 06:04 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
in-store only
Old 12-12-08, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought to myself that this coupon would be a nice way of getting Lost Season 4 on Blu-ray for cheap, but no!!! Why? Because Borders has the BD for $75.99, $6 over the MSRP and the coupon only applies for the list price of things, not the sale price.
Old 12-12-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
I thought to myself that this coupon would be a nice way of getting Lost Season 4 on Blu-ray for cheap, but no!!! Why? Because Borders has the BD for $75.99, $6 over the MSRP and the coupon only applies for the list price of things, not the sale price.
I really like Borders, but I've found that some of their prices are much higher than the actual list prices on media. For instance, CDs that have a list of $13.99 retail for $16.99 at Borders. It makes no sense.
Old 12-12-08, 09:05 AM
Cool New Member

This coupon is really only gets you 25% off either item after total, and since sale priced items don't seem to be included, it's kind of sneaky (except for those 3 specific books listed and the holiday merch) unless you use it to pick up anything under the $10 price point.
Old 12-12-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by bookcase3
I really like Borders, but I've found that some of their prices are much higher than the actual list prices on media.
Yah think? I don't know how anyone can shop at that overpriced place. It is so easy to get things much cheaper almost anyplace else.
Old 12-12-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like Borders, but I've found that some of their prices are much higher than the actual list prices on media. For instance, CDs that have a list of $13.99 retail for $16.99 at Borders. It makes no sense.
Strange, which ones would you be referring to?
Old 12-12-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Strange, which ones would you be referring to?
I believe it was Universal that changed their pricing structure for CDs to $13.99, all of which are priced higher at Borders. But just a few of the recent CDs that come to mind: The Killers; Sheryl Crow; Lucinda Williams; Snow Patrol. All $13.98 list at Amazon; all $16.99 (or higher) at Borders.
Old 12-12-08, 01:44 PM

Yeah, this ain't no deal. I like Borders but only because they seem to have a 30% off coupon every other week, which is a great deal on most books. But their movie prices are way over-the-top.
Old 12-12-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe it was Universal that changed their pricing structure for CDs to $13.99, all of which are priced higher at Borders. But just a few of the recent CDs that come to mind: The Killers; Sheryl Crow; Lucinda Williams; Snow Patrol. All $13.98 list at Amazon; all $16.99 (or higher) at Borders.
Wait, so it's about prices that changed?
That probably means some poor soul didn't get the chance to change them yet, because they have to be changed manually--or possibly that Universal didn't get the word out to them yet.

I'm far more wary of the ones at FYE or the handful I stumble across at Best Buy that look far more conscious and deliberate, but that's something else entirely.

Also, don't rely too heavily on the stickered price being the official Borders price (if you are)--stores have to receive notice to change them, print them, then manually change each and every one, which can be quite difficult depending on traffic/staffing.
Old 12-12-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Wait, so it's about prices that changed?
That probably means some poor soul didn't get the chance to change them yet, because they have to be changed manually--or possibly that Universal didn't get the word out to them yet.

I'm far more wary of the ones at FYE or the handful I stumble across at Best Buy that look far more conscious and deliberate, but that's something else entirely.

Also, don't rely too heavily on the stickered price being the official Borders price (if you are)--stores have to receive notice to change them, print them, then manually change each and every one, which can be quite difficult depending on traffic/staffing.
Except this pricing structure has been in place for years; it's not a recent development. Yet all of their new releases that should be $13.98 are magically $16.99. I'm not talking older releases.
Old 12-12-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Except this pricing structure has been in place for years; it's not a recent development. Yet all of their new releases that should be $13.98 are magically $16.99. I'm not talking older releases.
Well, right you are. I've always found music's MSRP to be a little more free-floating, but, regardless, I do see your point.

(I also don't think Amazon is a paragon of accurate list-pricing....as they still claim the Alec Guinness collection from Anchor Bay lists at 69.99, when even Borders has it listing at 2X.99--varies instore/online, but still 2X and not 6X, and that's just the one that stuck out to me most)

Last edited by FangsFirst; 12-12-08 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 07:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I checked my local borders for 2 things I wanted. Step Brothers(2 Disc) DVD which was $31.99 and Horton Hears a Who(2 Disc) DVD $33.99 which after the discount was $48.50 plus tax which is 7% by me so add another $3. Amazon which is not the cheapest price around had them both for $22.99. Borders needs buy 1 get 1 free to be a deal.