Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) DD 25% Off Sale- It's DEAD! ENDS 11/24 (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) DD 25% Off Sale- It's DEAD! ENDS 11/24 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
But now you can get the 4 disc Collector's Edition for $13.49

http://scripts.affiliatefuture.com/A...uctId=21529039
Yeah, but I need to save shelf space.

And there's a boatload of extras on just the first 2 discs alone. Plus, I didn't want the extra cuts of the movie -- the FC is the definitive version of Blade Runner for me.
Old 11-26-08, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone think the complete animated Batman series set will ever come back in stock? I have it on back-order from the sale but at this point I am not expecting DD to get it back in-stock. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a situation like what happened to the Six Moral Tales Criterion boxset from the last sale.

I sent my broken set back to DD on 11/17 to be replaced and they sent the replacement on 11/20.
Old 11-26-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Originally Posted by sandman007
I sent my broken set back to DD on 11/17 to be replaced and they sent the replacement on 11/20.
That is quite strange then as my order from November 8th claims "backorder" and when you add the item to the cart now it also says out of stock. I guess I will contact them...
Old 11-26-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm glad you guys are all posting your incredible DD success stories, but I could possibly have had a worse experience with that place. Called today about my order from November 7th that STILL hasnt arrived (i live in Michigan by the way)... They said they can re-send it, but wont until Decemeber 1st at the earliest "just in case it shows up".... gee, thanks DD.

Never ordering from them again.
Old 11-27-08, 09:15 AM

DD DVDs cheaper AFTER the sale

Two of the items I ordered during the "25% Off of Everything Sale" are now cheaper than the sale discount:
ANE014190 DVD: DOGFIGHTS-2ND SEASON $17.90 (now $15.18)
ABD012795 DVD: BRITISH WAR COLLECTION $12.30 (now $10.75)

I emailed DD customer service yesterday but they refused to refund the difference:
"We apologize for the inconvenience caused due to decrease in the price for the requested item. We regret to inform you that we will not be able to credit your account for the difference amount, as the price change is been decided by the manufacturer. The order is not affecting with the increase or decrease in prices."

Virtually all other retailers have a price match policy if their price drops within a few weeks of the transaction. They understand about satisfying their customers. Otherwise what is the point of buying during the "25% off of everything" sale if the price is going to be lower AFTER the sale? I seem to recall this occurring after previous sales.

I'm not very happy with DD right now. I have responded to their reply -- we'll see what happens.
Old 11-27-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 25% Off sale did not also say "We absolutely guarantee that the price will never be cheaper than what you're getting here".
Old 11-27-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kpjohn

Virtually all other retailers have a price match policy if their price drops within a few weeks of the transaction. They understand about satisfying their customers. Otherwise what is the point of buying during the "25% off of everything" sale if the price is going to be lower AFTER the sale? I seem to recall this occurring after previous sales.
If by 'virtually all' you mean a couple online retailers, then yeah.
Old 11-27-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After every DD sale, the pathetic whining starts from a few discontented individuals. Instead of being grateful that a company offers a great sale (and this year it was better than ever at 25% plus Live.com's 4%), we get:
"They took my order 2 days ago and haven't shipped it yet!"
"They shipped my order a week ago and I haven't received it yet!"
"I'm never doing business with them again!"
"Boycott!"
"Thieves!"
"Bait and switch!"
"Illegal!"
"Immoral!"
"Hussy!"

kpjohn: Were you able to find a link that guaranteed a price for a certain amount of time? Do you want DD to never run any B1G1 sales? (Hint: 50% off results in a cheaper price than $25% off.) If the answer is no to those, then stop complaining.

NiCK Crush: That's right, blame DD. Sounds fair. Oh, wait...aren't they the ones that are going to lose out on this deal, if the package they shipped goes missing? They ARE willing to send you a replacement, right? Is the missing package somehow their fault? Punish them for someone else's mistake? And why should they send out a replacement so quickly? Hell, I'd have you wait *two* months, considering the massive shipping delays from the previous sale. You want to better, individualized, wonderful and timely kiss-your-ass-and-say-thank-you customer service? Don't buy online from the cheapest retailer you can possibly find.
Old 11-27-08, 11:55 AM

DD's dvds are overpriced in sale period. Make sure that you do better comparison shopping before buying dvds in sale. You will find some good bargains there.

Last edited by bohemian1; 11-27-08 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's either a lie or a horribly misinformed opinion. If you're going to make a claim like that, back it up with facts. Head over to the Stores forum and post about your experience. No blanket claims. Facts: orders, dates, prices, etc..

How about reading the threads in the Stores forum about the price "increases" from the last two sales. A tiny, tiny minority of products. I bought a total of 25 items during this sale. None of them have ever been cheaper, as far as I know, and if they have, then not by much. A few items I bought a little early (they are recent releases), so of course they might come down in the future.

After 25% discount and 4% live.com or cashbaq.com cashback:

Code:
Complete Collections:
68.71	    Knight Rider-complete Series 
64.53	    The Wild Wild West - The Complete Series 
13.28*	    DC Super Heroes: The Filmation Adventures 
17.30	    Lonesome Dove-ultimate Collection 
15.71	    The Filmation Sci-Fi Box Set 

Season sets (kind of):
14.11	    Three Stooges Collection 1940-1942 
14.11	    Three Stooges Collection: 1943-1945 

Movie box sets:
18.37	    Vincent Price Gift Set - Volume 1 
12.75*	    Muppet Movies Collection 
 9.65	    Tom Selleck Western Collection, Th 

TV mini-series:
10.62*	    Lonesome Dove 
10.12	    Comanche Moon 

Midnite Movies Double Features:
 4.61*	    War-Gods of the Deep/At the Earth's Core
 4.61*	    Count Yorga, Vampire/Count Yorga Returns 
 6.21	    Oblong Box, The/Scream and Scream Again Midnite Movies Double Feature 
 6.21	    The Masque of the Red Death/Premature Burial 

Disney:
 6.81	    Return to Oz 
 6.81	    The Black Hole 
 6.81	    The Strongest Man in the World 
 6.81	    Treasure Island 
 6.81	    Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites - Classic Holiday Stories

Cheap Movies:
 4.25	    Cotton Comes to Harlem 
 4.25	    More Dead Than Alive 
 4.25	    The Jackals 
 4.61*	    Saturday Night Live - Best of Mike Myers

*Titles bought from DVDPlanet

I comparison shop all the time. I get almost all of my DVDs from Columbia House, so I pay $5 or less for newly released DVDs, and I pay $15 or less for season sets. Believe me, one of the most cheap-ass bastards you will ever meet when it comes to buying DVDs, there is no way that "DD's DVDs are overpriced during the sale. Period." (I paraphrased into correct grammar and punctuation.)

Does that mean you should blindly purchase whatever you want, thinking you are somehow guaranteed the lowest price of the year compared to all other retailers? Of course not. In other words, caveat emptor along with your carpe bargain.

I know what typically goes into B1G1 sales, so I didn't bother to order any A&E/BBC titles, or things like the Outer Limits. Other people that did are now complaining about new, lower prices during a 70%-off sale. (Let me restate that: people are now complaining about new, lower prices.) Get some perspective, people!

Is it possible I paid more for something that might be cheaper sometime this holiday season or in the next couple of months? Of course! Will I have buyer's remorse? Momentarily, as I think, "I could have saved $X." But then I'll remind myself of the great deal I *did* get.

Thousands and thousands of DVDs were on sale for lower prices than you will find probably 364 days out of the year anywhere else new (BF excepted).

Last edited by Cheato; 11-27-08 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Corrected my DVDPlanet prices
Old 11-27-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Agreed. Even DD will have cheaper prices on specific titles in the future, but those are primarily B1G1 sales on specific studios. But very rarely does any retailer or etailer have a "25% off everything" (with very few exceptions) sale.
And ultimately, odds are, if you wait 6 or 9 months, whatever was bought at this sale, could be found cheaper anyway.
DD doesn't always have the best price, but I definitely check them first especially with the semiannual sale.
I don't think you can fairly compare BF deals to something like a DD sale. Though BF prices might be cheaper on certain titles, unless they're available online, once you add in the time and inconvenience of actually getting to the store and dealing with BF crowds to save a few bucks, I'd rather pay a little extra to get it from the comfort of my office chair. That said, I know lots of people enjoy the hunt and the hustle of a BF in-store sale; more power to them.
I think most people would agree with "DD's sale is great, but you should always know what you're buying and comparison shop."
Only thing that annoys me about their sale is that lots of things I order are on backorder. I guess I don't really mind, except for the few that are Christmas presents, I just hope I do get them (eventually).
Old 11-27-08, 02:26 PM

overpriced means you don't actually get 25% off of CHEAPEST price of the dvd in market after comparison shopping... Probably, we should keep track of DD's retail prices before and after the sale. Also, I did say that you will get good bargains after comparison shopping.
Old 11-27-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Let me clarify: you're suggesting that one retailers "25% sale" should mean the after-sale prices are 25% off *their lowest competitor*'s price?
Of course DD doesn't have the lowest regular price on every title they carry. But with the 25% off, it definitely puts them in the running, especially if you have to consider shipping (if Amazon sells Movie A for 13.99, and DD has it for 14.99 after discount, and that's all I want, unless I'm an Amazon Prime member, DD's total price is still less.) I know I have bought single titles from DD that I would not have bought if I had to pay Amazon's shipping rates--or bump my total cart up to 25 dollars.
I didn't order much, just 5 titles, but according to DVDPriceSearch, DD was the lowest price on 3 of them, and after the discount, every title was. Some titles were "Hey, that's a good price", some were "That's a *really* good price", but all were very competitive.
That said, there have been mostly unsubstantiated rumors, with a couple of documented examples, of DD's in-sale prices varying from their after-sale prices, but that is the exception, not the rule.
"Overpriced" is a subjective term anyway. To me, 10.00 for Best of Super Bowl XXIII Highlights DVD is overpriced, because I don't care at all about that topic. "Best price" would be more apropos. And that would need to exclude special alternatives like club memberships (warehouse stores or CH), and BF deals.
I do hope Batman:TAS comes back in stock. I haven't had any experiences with an item *never* coming back into stock, though I have had plenty where it took a while to do so. Is the set out of print or Limited Edition or something?
Old 11-27-08, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato

NiCK Crush: That's right, blame DD. Sounds fair. Oh, wait...aren't they the ones that are going to lose out on this deal, if the package they shipped goes missing? They ARE willing to send you a replacement, right? Is the missing package somehow their fault? Punish them for someone else's mistake? And why should they send out a replacement so quickly? Hell, I'd have you wait *two* months, considering the massive shipping delays from the previous sale. You want to better, individualized, wonderful and timely kiss-your-ass-and-say-thank-you customer service? Don't buy online from the cheapest retailer you can possibly find.
My God, youre right! I'm going to call and apologize immediately. What was I thinking!? Showing concern for something I ordered and have not yet recieved! Not to mention I need the items before Christmas for gift giving purposes. I'll just tell everyone that the they can wait because Deep Discount can take as long as they want to ship ordered items. Sorry, your Christmas gifts will come a few weeks late... HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Oh, and one of the items I ordered was Family Guy: Blue Harvest Collectors Set... i believe I got it for 14.80 or something (which yea, is a great deal). Now FYE is selling it tomorrow for $9.99... yaaay! Oh wait, I already bought one and have to wait til who knows when to get it so it would be pointless to pick up another one tomorrow.

Do you work for Deep Discount or something? You'd think your father founded the company or something.
Old 11-27-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bohemian1
DD's dvds are overpriced in sale period. Make sure that you do better comparison shopping before buying dvds in sale. You will find some good bargains there.
no they aren't. that's just a flat out lie.
Old 11-27-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
I ordered 59 titles between the two sales and so far have received 53 of them (and 4 of the rest were ordered on the last day). I'm quite happy with the way the sale went and I'm very concerned how long DD will last operating under such low margins, with free shipping, and all the bitching, in a recession. I have no doubts the retail landscape will look much different 5 years from now and I'l be very disappointed I'd DD can't hang on. I look forward to each of these sales the way I looked forward to summer and Christmas vacation as a kid. Amazon is a great e-tailer with spectacular service, but I've scored some unbelievable deals thru DD this year (not necessarily in the spring/fall sales).
That said, it was a little jarring to see something relatively obscure like the New Avengers Season 2 go from $13.xx when I ordered it on monday to $9.10 two days later. Takes the shine off a little, but I honestly think even $13+ was a good value for a multi disc set that I was interested in. I'm just bracing for the better deals to be had on Fox Bds in the weeks ahead, especially since I won't have a chance to watch most of the ones I bought here for a while. I expect this kind of stuff to happen, but it's hard to hold back ,or be tto upset when you realize that 48%+ off msrp is still a (more than) generous deal.
Old 11-27-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Do you work for Deep Discount or something?
No, I just have some common sense. And I don't have an overinflated sense of entitlement.
Old 11-27-08, 09:34 PM
Banned

I have a problem. I just got to thinking about how they screwed up the first shipment of my order. The invoice shows me being billed for Netforce, which didn't ship yet because it's on backorder. The email/website shows it accurately though. Going by the printed invoice I received, I suppose I've already been billed for that. Should I be attempting to correct it or just wait to see if Netforce finally ships at no charge? Or is the email invoice correct and only charged me for what actually shipped?
Old 11-27-08, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato
No, I just have some common sense. And I don't have an overinflated sense of entitlement.
okay okay, i think your stance on the matter is clear enough for everyone in the thread.
Old 11-27-08, 10:12 PM
Cool New Member

I would say, though i really enjoy DDD, I wish they would price adjust orders if the price changes BEFORE the item ships. Time and again, I see an item fall right after I order, and it is backordered still for a number of weeks before it ships. I would appreciate not having to call to do this.
Old 11-27-08, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bohemian1
overpriced means you don't actually get 25% off of CHEAPEST price of the dvd in market after comparison shopping... Probably, we should keep track of DD's retail prices before and after the sale. Also, I did say that you will get good bargains after comparison shopping.
Actually, you can if you keep track of things. I ordered mostly sets this go around. I tracked their prices from the time I added them to my "most wanted" list many months ago from several different vendor that I've found the most reliable from a pricing perspective. I rechecked the pricing just before ordering and DD's current price before the discount was still the cheapest. So I did get 25% off the cheapest price I was able to find.

But even if the price had been a little higher or other vendors had lowered theirs it wouldn't have mattered to me. If I was still getting between 10% - 25% off anyone else it still would have been better then not having the sale. A good deal is still a good deal regardless of the exact percentage off.

As someone else eluded to, DD's 20%-25% off virtually everything is not necessarily their best deals of the year. You have to constantly monitor their site because B1G1 free deals and some other more specialized sales may actually be better for certain titles. The benefit of this past sale is the pure volume of what titles are on sale.

I paid pretty close attention to the bargains this past year, especially with SD DVD's being cheaper. I probably spent close to $1000 at DD alone and probably another $500 at all the rest based on some "Deal of the Days" and other very special promo's. I sure hope DD is able to stick around. If not for them we may not be getting some of the deals we get periodically from some of the other online vendors as they try to stay competitive.
Old 11-29-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
1st Order -

Order Number: 22040144
Intended Shipping Method: 5 - 10 BUSINESS DAY DELIVERY

Quantity Item # Description Price Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------
1 COLO27104 DVD : THREE STOOGES COLLECTION 1943-1945 $14.90 In-stock
1 COLO22885 DVD : BUDD BOETTICHER SET $32.85 In-stock
Merchandise Total: $ 47.75
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 47.75
Old 11-29-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Last order -

Order Number: 22099999
Intended Shipping Method: 5 - 10 BUSINESS DAY DELIVERY

Quantity Item # Description Price Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ---------- ---------
1 COL027107 DVD : ICONS OF HORROR-HAMMER FILM $ 14.42 In-stock
1 FXD022503 DVD : ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS $ 14.15 In-stock
1 WBD037126 DVD : BUSBY BERKELEY COLLECTION V $ 22.13 In-stock
1 XBO015560 XBOX 360: NEED FOR SPEED-PROSTREE $ 18.99 In-stock

Merchandise Total: $ 69.69
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Processing: $ .00

Total for this Order: $ 69.69
Old 11-29-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just received 4 of 7 backorders
Old 11-29-08, 05:18 PM

Never posted my second order, just one title which I already received.

Purple Rain HD DVD - $6.74

Also, received everything from my first order shortly after ordering.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.