Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Store Closing Sale Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Circuit City Store Closing Sale Thread

I almost hesitated to begin a new thread since there's a couple of Circuit City threads already going about the number of store closings across the US. However, it seemed like there should be one in the Bargains area to post about any potential deals and to provide updates on additional markdowns in coming days/weeks.

I just visited my local Circuit City. It was more crowded today than I'd seen it in my last 10 visits combined. The entire store was 10-30% off. All DVDs (including box sets, blu rays, new releases) were 20% off

I couldn't convince myself to buy anything this morning. With the 20% off, it brings the prices down closer to Wal-mart levels on many things. Plus, I figure the markdown might increase after a given number of days, so I'll wait and see if there's anything left later.
Old 11-05-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, are purchases from these stores "Final", meaning no returns?

What about purchases made before the announcement? Can returns be made to stores that are closing?
Old 11-05-08, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flix1
So, are purchases from these stores "Final", meaning no returns?

What about purchases made before the announcement? Can returns be made to stores that are closing?
I read somewhere that such returns can be made in stores NOT closing, apparently closing stores are not taking any returns at all.
Old 11-05-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I'm sure that's probably correct. I recall seeing an "All Sales Final" sign posted to the register.
Old 11-05-08, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
The entire store was 10-30% off.
I may need to stop in on the way home to see if either store still has the home theater I want...
Old 11-05-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The store closing in my area was already an "outlet store" so I'm curious to see how they mark things down...
Old 11-05-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by smirnoffski
I read somewhere that such returns can be made in stores NOT closing, apparently closing stores are not taking any returns at all.
Store closings are handled by a liquidator, which bought the inventory, so its not really Circuit City anymore. This is why Circuit City credit cards will not be accepted at these stores and computers out for repairs will be sent to another store. I assume stores staying open would only accept returns bought from the closing stores based on merchandise purchased prior to the going out of business sale.
Old 11-05-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For those wondering which stores are closing, here is a link:

http://gizmodo.com/5074947/the-compl...it-city-stores
Old 11-05-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm astounded that they're not closing any stores in PA. The CC stores here can't ever seem to manage to get new releases on the shelf before the following weekend. The only real purpose they serve is to go dumpster-diving in the bargain bins.
Old 11-05-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just stopped in one around here. Looks like they didn't even get any of this week's game releases. Didn't see any Blu-Ray's worth getting.

One thing that annoys me is none of the sections seem to be labeled with the exact discount, so you really wouldn't know until you checked out whether it was 10%, 20%, etc. Wound up leaving with nothing. Why stoop that trend now when shopping at CC?
Old 11-05-08, 01:55 PM

Picked up the Onkyo S6100 to replace the old stereo. Brand new, in the box and all. Sitting in the car right now...
Old 11-05-08, 02:31 PM

anyone know what the percentages off are for

Playstation 3?

TV'S?

Speakers ?
Old 11-05-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatri
I'm astounded that they're not closing any stores in PA. The CC stores here can't ever seem to manage to get new releases on the shelf before the following weekend. The only real purpose they serve is to go dumpster-diving in the bargain bins.
Only one store listed for CT as well, and it's an "outlet store". They should have taken a deeper cut.....
Old 11-05-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazingly there are no Circuit City's in my state. It's a shame to see that some of them are going out of business. I've ordered from their website before and have come across some good deals. And they offer free shipping on there as well. Something best buy would be smart to do.
Old 11-05-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huh. Interesting to see the store near me is closing, but not surprising since it's been pretty dead for a while now. Don't know how to feel about it. It has come through in the past for a couple of deals especially for the better sales.

I guess I won't be able to get in on any Black Friday deals there?
Old 11-05-08, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by vedderone
anyone know what the percentages off are for

Playstation 3?

TV'S?

Speakers ?
I called a store in Phoenix, AZ today == PS3 was only 5% off.
Old 11-05-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just checked out the store in Independence, MO. TVs, home theater, computers and parts, video games and most everything else was 10% off. DVDs, Blu-Ray and CDs were 20% off. The only things I saw at 30% off were cables that would be overpriced at 90% off.

I obviously came away with nothing, as I expected. This was more of a recon mission for me. I just wanted to get a feel for what they had going. I'll wait until the percents drop more before I even consider purchasing.
Old 11-05-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Store closings are handled by a liquidator, which bought the inventory, so its not really Circuit City anymore. This is why Circuit City credit cards will not be accepted at these stores and computers out for repairs will be sent to another store. I assume stores staying open would only accept returns bought from the closing stores based on merchandise purchased prior to the going out of business sale.
I was able to cancel a game pre-order, thus getting my $5 back, at a non-closing store ... for a purchase made at closing store on Sunday.
Old 11-05-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by flix1
I was able to cancel a game pre-order, thus getting my $5 back, at a non-closing store ... for a purchase made at closing store on Sunday.
Yes the Going Out of Business sales started today. Your purchase was made on Sunday before the Going Out of Business sale. A store that is closing is not going to get new releases.
Old 11-05-08, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
^ I'm sure that's probably correct. I recall seeing an "All Sales Final" sign posted to the register.
Be ware... they strike a marker over the bar-code... so they can not be returned anywhere.

I picked up one blu ray... 20% off... but luckily I was able to rub the black mark off almost immediately after...

They also stamp the receipt...
Old 11-06-08, 06:52 AM
Cool New Member

Are items such as TVs on sale or just the DVDs for now?
Old 11-06-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything is on sale, danpeake. The discount is not as great on the high end electronic items--10% it seems for the moment.
Old 11-10-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Out of curiosity, for people who live in area where all the CC stores are closing, has your local newspaper stopped including the CC ad in the Sunday paper? Mine stopped 2 weeks ago so I can no longer price match. :-(
Old 11-10-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think mine is closing. Is this going to be like when Media Play went out of business, where they put everything back to MSRP and then slapped on the discount?
Old 11-10-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone at CC told me that all of the stores in SC are staying open.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.