Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Circuit City Store Closing Sale Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I just got back from CC, the one I was at had DVDs 25% off (last week it was 20%) they had games for 15% (last week it was 10%) and they had CDs for 30% off.

Nothing too fabulous, but I got 30 Rock S2 for $21 and the new Futurama movie for $16
Old 11-21-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Thanks Monkees... looks like I'll wait a while to go back
Old 11-22-08, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another complaint ...

My Xbox 360 recently got "Red Ringed" (Microsofts fault)... i sent it in to circuit city because i bought a protection plan with it... they sent me my replacement and a week into playing it the Replacement which was refurbished might i add also got red ringed (Circuit Citys fault?)....

Trying to get the replacement back to them has been a huge hassle first i call they're horrible machine operatied customer support line.... i finally reach a human which doesnt speak very good english so when i try to explain to this person that i would rather have a gift card for the amount that i paid for the Xbox back in 2006 in order for me to buy a new Xbox 360 which would have a much much lesser chance of failure is very difficult. She then tells me that she emailed me a printable label ... waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...next day comes ... waiting ... waiting... waiting ... nothing ... i call again and give a different email address and explain the problem with a different person. She also tells me that she has sent out a printable label to both the email on record and the one i just gave her .... waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...next day comes ... waiting ... waiting... waiting ... nothing ...

I then try again and the same thing happens... i opt to try the Email approach ... after sending 2 emails i finally get a response ande my REFURBISHED REPLACMENT Xbox 360 is on its way back to circuit citys warehouse .... will they give me a gift card ??? i doubt it .... will i get another REFURBISHED REPLACEMENT yes .... Will it Red Ring after the 90 day Replacement warranty ... Probably .... lol

Last edited by lovgun7; 11-22-08 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-22-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Can you buy an Xbox from CC, replace the bad unit with the new one...then return it.
Old 11-22-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
Stopped by the Western Hills store again today...nothing spectacular. CD's are up to 30% off and have been largely cleaned out. It's the same with DVD and Blu-Ray, which are up to 25% off. Car audio, at 30% off, is almost completely gone. Satellite radio, at 40% off, doesn't seem to be moving. TVs are up to 20% off, with a large selection left. DTV converter boxes are still only 10% off, presumably so that you can't walk out with a "free" one since they are still accepting the $40 government coupons. Computers and digital cameras are up to a whopping 10% off, and don't seem to be going anywhere. Camcorders are 15% off. Games are 15% off, game accessories are 10% off, still plenty of both. Batteries are between 30-40% off, depending on type. (They have one left of the proprietary pack for my Kodak, and I'm hoping it hangs on for a bit...40% off $40 is still highway robbery.)
Old 11-22-08, 07:35 PM

They still had a shitload of Blu-Ray at the CC by my house, also they still had quite a few Guitar Heros/Rock Bands and guitars. Their DVD selection was still pretty decent, much smaller than the week before, but still a good amount. Their CD selection was still very full.
Old 12-02-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Popped into my Circuit City earlier tonight. DVDs are now 25% off, Blu-Rays are 30% off. A couple of signs said "just reduced" but who knows what exactly that means, since they could leave those signs up during the entire liquidation and they'd technically be correct.

I'd say there was about 40-45% of the normal DVD selection. However, if you're looking for a specific title, there's no way to find it quickly. All the titles were spine out and easy to read as you glanced at them, but they're not in any kind of order that I could tell.
Old 12-02-08, 10:36 PM

Wow, I really figured after Black Friday they'd be way lower
Old 12-03-08, 10:30 AM

Hit two different CC's on Saturday. 30% off BD's both places. One still had a pretty good assortment of titles. I was quite surprised.
Old 12-03-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I went to one on Monday:

25% DVDs
40% off CDs
20% off video games
15% off 'social games' (rock band, guitar hero)
Old 12-05-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I went to another Scottsdale location today. "Up to 50% off". Got myself an Atlantic media shelf for 50% off.

CDs were 40% off. Surprised to see some decent metal CDs left, picked up some Ministry, Type O Negative, Fates Warning, and Motörhead for about $8 each.

DVDs were 30% off.

Didn't pay attention to the rest.
Old 12-05-08, 12:53 AM

My local CC had DVDs at 30% off (I think) and Blu-Rays were 40% off! Still had quite a few BD's too!
Old 12-05-08, 12:07 PM

I went to CC and found much of the same deals. 30% off Blu-Rays being about the biggest discount, but still nothing major since the prices were MSRP anyway. It just surprised me that with the deals not being that good that many of the shelves were empty (though they still had a big rack of Blu-Rays). I did end up picking up a PC game for my wife for Christmas at 30% of though I think I can get it from the website for only 13 cents more and pick up at the other location (which isn't closing). I figured I might as well just go ahead and pick it up and save the hassle of ordering it and going to the other store. It'll probably go down before Christmas, but this CC is on the other side of town, and I rarely go over that way unless my wife and I are seeing a movie at the theater over there (since they're the cheapest with a digital screen), but that would be difficult to pull of without her knowing I bought it. But, with that said, I still wonder about it because my receipt says "all sales final. No returns", but what if there's something wrong with the game? Could I just take it back to the other CC. Maybe without a receipt and just exchange it?
Old 12-05-08, 12:13 PM

Went back yesterday...40% off BD's. They still had a fairly decent selection, all things considered. Picked up another 5...
Old 12-05-08, 01:21 PM

Sadly there really is nothing in the BD section that I want.
Old 12-06-08, 02:20 AM

I saw a most unusual sight this past Tuesday -- a nearly-finished new Circuit City location, that will now likely never open. This was on Rt. 22 somewhere near the town of Watchung, NJ. I'd seen it going up sometime this summer or fall but had completely forgotten about it until driving by earlier this week (since I'm not often in the area). I saw the building all lit up and looking open, so I drove into the parking lot... only to see that there was virtually nothing inside. A bunch of fixtures and signs, but no product at all. Sadly, the lights were all on inside and out, wasting electricity like nobody's business. There was also a sign taped to the door, indicating that the facility had been cleared for some sort of installation of something as of October, but I'm assuming that everything was halted after the bankruptcy filing. Anyway, here's the weird part -- it wasn't actually called Circuit City. The main red circular logos on the outside of the building all read "The City," with "Circuit City" in smaller letters elsewhere on the outside of the building. I know of about a half-dozen other CC locations in the state and none of them have this signage. Was CC on the verge of changing its name when the whole Chapter 11 thing hit? Very odd, very strange, don't know what to make of it. Just sad to see it happen, sad to see the waste and sad to think of one less option in purchasing my media going forward.

Okay, off to bed...
Old 12-06-08, 05:12 AM

^ The new CC that opened near me in Cleveland TN a few months ago (before the Ch.11) is called "The City" also with virtually no signage indicating "Circuit City". Must be a new branding thing.
Old 12-06-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

latest news [TM] Toyota to further cut North America production: WSJ
Struggling retailer looks to shining 'City' on a hill

By Andria Cheng, MarketWatch
Last update: 3:59 p.m. EST Dec. 21, 2007Comments: 7NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Circuit City Stores Inc., which lost more than one-quarter of its stock value after posting a wider loss than expected, is hoping that a new store concept two years in development will be a turning point for the company
Circuit City (CC:CC
News, chart, profile, more
Last:

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
CC, , ) this year opened seven "The City" stores, including one in New York separated only by a wall from a store operated by its larger and better-performing rival, Best Buy Co. (BBY:Best Buy Co., Inc
News, chart, profile, more
Last: 23.05+0.91+4.11%

4:01pm 12/05/2008

Delayed quote dataAdd to portfolio
Analyst
Create alertInsider
Discuss
Financials
Sponsored by:
BBY 23.05, +0.91, +4.1%) The 20,000-square-foot concept is at least one-third smaller than its standard 30,000 to 35,000 square-foot stores, the company said.
The new concept also will be where it allocates capital spending. Circuit City had 681 U.S. locations at the end of its third quarter and plans to open as many as 60 The City stores next year.
Circuit City, which analysts said has lost sales and traffic to Best Buy and others partly because of aged stores and lackluster customer service, said that the City is cleaner and more brightly lit. The concept also showcases digital cameras and other products in round pods, offering customers a more desirable retail experience.
"The City is more than just a better-looking store," said Chief Executive Philip Schoonover on a conference call Friday. "We have data that show both the customers and associates prefer this experience to our older stores. Customer-shopping patterns have changed a lot. They are looking for full service."
'We have data that show both the customers and associates prefer this experience to our older stores. ... They are looking for full service.'

— Philip Schoonover, CEO
At the City, employees are armed with tablet PCs to help answer customers' questions and are trained to handle different tasks and sell various product categories throughout the store, instead of only being assigned to one product category. Almost all of the fixtures are on wheels and can be easily taken apart to quickly feature different merchandise. In addition, the concept has portable price scanners for customers to check on product information and price.
The new City stores also use more of their footprint. While 400, or under two-thirds of the company's stores only use up to 60% of the stores as selling space, the City takes 85% of its floor.
While the City marks a step in the right direction, some analysts commented that Circuit City has higher priorities. "The initial read on the City stores is that management understands what it takes to be competitive in the industry," said Scott Tilghman of Soleil Securities. "But I don't think it'll be the driver of the turnaround."
On Friday, the retailer reported that its third-quarter loss widened after weakness in product categories from traditional TV sets and desktop computers to more-profitable warranty-service programs. Discounts on flat-panel televisions also dented profit. Circuit City said that it may expect a loss in the fourth quarter, when analysts were expecting profit of 56 cents a share. See full story.
"They have bigger problems than coming up with new store concepts," said Pali Research analyst Stacey Widlitz. "It's innovative, but they need to work on their current store base."
The new stores have yet to prove they can help Circuit City. Joe Feldman, a Telsey Advisory Group analyst whose office is right near the City on Fifth Avenue in New York, said that the Best Buy store next door is generally more crowded and open longer hours.
"They've got a long way to go," Feldman added. "It's going to take a long time to turn things around."
Andria Cheng is a MarketWatch reporter based in New York.
Print
Disable Live Quotes
Subscribe to RSS
Yahoo! Buzz

Recommend this story : 1

Save and tag this story

Comments: 7

They say they've learned people want full-service stores yet these new stores are 30% smaller. How's that work? In a previous blunder Circuit City made the choice to fire workers so they could hire cheap, unqualified employees. At that point they...

- wwireless

Add Comment
Old 12-06-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
30% off DVDs, 40% off most CDs and Blu-Ray discs, 50% off "select" CDs (jazz, Latin, and a couple of other genres) at the Western Hills store today. TVs and receivers are now 30% off, but are still priced way too high.

I picked up a battery for my digital camera at 60% off, but that's it. I would like one of the numerous platinum Gamecube controllers they have left, but game accessories need to drop a lot more than 20% for me to even consider it.
Old 12-16-08, 03:01 AM
Cool New Member

DVDs were 40% off when I went last Friday. I picked up Seasons 1&2 of Titus for $12.99. I'm tempted to pick up some of the new Futurama movies for the same price.
Old 12-16-08, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could someone snap a pic of "The City" signage? I'm curious as to what it looks like.
Old 12-16-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Here's an article about 'The City' from Oct 2007.
Old 12-16-08, 05:56 AM
Cool New Member

Street-sign holders state "40%-60% off everything" - - -inside, the signs in the dvd sections still read 40% off when I checked on Sunday and on Monday. TVs at 30%, Computers at 20%. Their signage is awful so you don't really know what anything is unless you have it scanned. Alot of Misc hardware items mostly around 50%. Probably 3 or 4 rows of dvd material left though; lots of boxsets. About 1 row left of video games, mostly PC games. Another 2 rows or so of CDs (50%) . I left and am going to check back every day or so as the percentages-off will no doubt increase slowly up until close to the very end. They said MON DEC 22ND is the final day.
Old 12-16-08, 03:55 PM

Don't have a photo, but the logo looked almost exactly like the regular Circuit City logo, but with "The" in place of "Circuit." Odd.
Old 12-16-08, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Could someone snap a pic of "The City" signage? I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.