Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Buffy bargain-hunting advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 03:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy bargain-hunting advice needed

Wal-Mart currently has seasons 1-4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for $14.96. Crossing below the $15 threshold may just be enough to finally get me to blind buy the series.

Bit if I want the whole series, is there a better deal anywhere on the Buffy complete series collection? or am I better off purchasing them here individually? (and how much are Seasons 5-7, since they arent on this sale?)
Old 10-13-08, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find that these sets go on sale at Best Buy for 20 bucks a set at least a few times a year. If you are saving money on 1-4....you may as well get the other sets for 20 a piece...or just buy season 1 and see if you like it at all!
Old 10-13-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Just go buy Buffy and Angel complete and be done. Seriously, I blind bought Buffy 1 years ago, and I was buying a season a week until I was caught up, it was that good.
Old 10-13-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wait for Amazon to put the Buffy Complete set on sale for $100 if your seriously considering dropping that much money on a blind buy. But I would almost suggest watching season one and two first to see if its even your kind of show.

Personally, I was shocked to find myself a fan. But it's a very good series and well worth that cost IMHO.
Old 10-13-08, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Just go buy Buffy and Angel complete and be done. Seriously, I blind bought Buffy 1 years ago, and I was buying a season a week until I was caught up, it was that good.
I'm fairly sure I'll like it, as I have seen a few episodes - lots from season one, and others like the infamous "Once More with Feeling" and "Hush". (plus I'll trust anything Whedon does, as I am a die-hard Firefly/Serenity fan)

I was more wondering about the pricing, since I can get S1-4 for $60 and 5-7 for $60, so only $120 total. the "complete series" set is cool but goes for like $180.
Old 10-13-08, 04:15 PM

Given that it's October and the christmas shopping season is nearing, I would likely try to wait out and hope for a sale on the full series box set and just get that. I have the buffy box set and think it's worth it to get that just for the space savings over having the individual seasons. Box sets seem to be a big "sale" item for retailers during chistmas sales and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a good deal on the set sometime between now and dec. 25.
Old 10-13-08, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the input, everbody! It sounds like consensus is that places will probably run some big sales on the complete set sometime before Christmas, so I guess I'll pass on the $15 individuals.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaphile
Thanks for the input, everbody! It sounds like consensus is that places will probably run some big sales on the complete set sometime before Christmas, so I guess I'll pass on the $15 individuals.

Thanks!
I like your decision! I would be SHOCKED-- SHOCKED!-- if amazon doesn't have it as the deal of the day for $100 within the next 2-3 months!

P.S. Buffy is my favorite show of all-time.
Old 10-13-08, 07:55 PM

buffy is good, hopefully on black friday they go below 20, ill buy them, and angel the whole set is 100. one time it was 60 on amazon, dod, but they are both good shows
Old 10-13-08, 08:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Buffy and Angel were $20 each last week at Best Buy with a bonus DVD as well.
Old 10-14-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few years ago, I purchased Seasons 1-3 of Buffy without having ever watched an episode. It took me a while to get through Season 1, but once I reached Season 2, I was hooked. Buffy is one of my three favorite shows of all time (Twin Peaks and The X-Files are the other two).

In my opinion, only four of the Season 1 episodes are required viewing: Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, Angel, and Prophecy Girl. I like Season 1 because of the character development, but Season 1 is not representative of the show as a whole. Almost all of the Season 1 episodes are "monster of the week" episodes. The other seasons stress continuity to a greater degree.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 10-14-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
In my opinion, only four of the Season 1 episodes are required viewing: Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, Angel, and Prophecy Girl.
You've got to include episode 3 "The Witch" in there too, as the character of Amy is introduced (who pops up again much more than once during the course of the show's run)....and while not completely essential, episode 6 "The Pack" shows the fate of the original principal, and episode 9 "The Puppet Show" introduces the new principal, who plays an important role throughout the show until the end of Season 3....
Basically, when it comes to Buffy, best to just watch each and every episode!
Old 10-15-08, 02:52 PM

I'm a huge fan of Buffy and Angel. I'd recommend buying the Complete Boxed Set instead of the single seasons. It's cheaper, takes less shelf space, and also comes with a bonus disc!

Also, if you head to Best Buy this week, they are giving away a FREE Buffy dvd that covers the Paley Festival 2008 Panel. Just go in and grab one, no special purchases necessary. Will make a nice bonus dvd to add to your Complete Collection set!!

Rick