DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Prices for Quantum Leap series?

Old 08-05-08, 11:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Best Prices for Quantum Leap series?

If this kind of post is not allowed, I apologize (and feel free to delete), but I would appreciate the help.

I'm looking to find any good prices/deals for any or all of the 5 seasons of Quantum Leap. Hoping to give it as a gift, but everything I'm finding has them at $35-$50 each. WHy is it some shows are like $19.99 or less, but others never drop?
Old 08-06-08, 03:08 AM

I guess since you want to buy it for a gift, the option to buy them used (and, therefore, cheaper) is not feasible...
Old 08-06-08, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by CritterYawn
I guess since you want to buy it for a gift, the option to buy them used (and, therefore, cheaper) is not feasible...
I don't mind buying used stuff if it's in good shape, but usually only if it's something I physically pick up in a store. Buying used stuff online, you never know the true condition of the item you're getting.
Old 08-06-08, 08:14 AM
Cool New Member

As of the time I'm writing this, Barnes & Noble (online) has Season 4 on sale for $19.99 ($17.99 member price).

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/...2922923/?itm=5

However, this price reduction does not appear to be part of an advertised sale, so it may not last long. There are also some 15% off coupons and links to sites to get free shipping in the B&N Coupon thread in the DVD Bargains forum.
Old 08-06-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These sets are hardly ever on sale, like other TV sets. I finally broke down and just got them at DD 20% off sale.
Old 08-06-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Sometimes BJ's puts these sets out at $14.99.

I got the first two seasons that way.

My impression was that BJ's was clearancing out to make room for more DVD sets so YMMV on this route.
Old 08-06-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal did such a botch job on the music clearances, I don't know why they aren't giving them away. I would get the R2 sets, so music is intact, except for some reason, season 4 R2's have replaced music as well.
Old 08-06-08, 03:06 PM

bb has s1 25.99
Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6352225&st=Quantum+Leap&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1353935

Last edited by lacubs; 08-06-08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 03:13 PM
Cool New Member

Amazon also has Season 4 for $19.99
Old 08-06-08, 03:18 PM

I remember a while back the Hastings chain had a big DVD set sale buy one get one free and they had all 5 seasons of Quantum Leap as a part of it but before I could get them someone bought seasons 2 and 3.
Old 08-06-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by hasslein
Universal did such a botch job on the music clearances, I don't know why they aren't giving them away. I would get the R2 sets, so music is intact, except for some reason, season 4 R2's have replaced music as well.
S1: R1 and R2 have original music
S2: R1 replaced music, R2 original music
S3: R1 replaced music, R2 original music
S4: R1 and R2 have replaced music
S5: R1 and R2 have original music
Old 08-06-08, 06:25 PM

Does the dvd release of S5 have the new 'rock' music version intro?
Old 08-06-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
S1: R1 and R2 have original music
S2: R1 replaced music, R2 original music
S3: R1 replaced music, R2 original music
S4: R1 and R2 have replaced music
S5: R1 and R2 have original music
very helpful and appreciated info, thanks!
Old 08-06-08, 10:30 PM

If I haven't watched the shows in a long time (and therefore don't remember specifics) will I even notice the music replacements?

I recently bought my biggest guilty pleasure of all time, FASTLANE, and everyone bitched about the music changes, but except for one song in the first episode, I couldn't even tell what was replaced and what wasn't.

p.s. Thanks everyone for the tips. At least I can find a few seasons a little cheaper!
Old 08-07-08, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by cinemaphile
If I haven't watched the shows in a long time (and therefore don't remember specifics) will I even notice the music replacements?
The replacement music is pretty bad in this case, so you'd probably notice at least occasionally. Plus, the music is even replaced when it's mentioned in dialog. In one of the episodes with replaced music, for example, you'll see Al doing the Hustle to music that is definitely not the Hustle. The worst replacement is in the season 2 finale's final scene. Al said that Georgia On My Mind (by Ray Charles) was the song that was special to he and his wife. In the final scene, which involves his wife (I won't say how, since it might be a spoiler, just that it is a very emotional scene), that song is supposed to be playing with her dancing to it. It was replaced with generic (and bad) jazz music. Moreover, since it was not replaced when the scene was again used in the fifth season, it is also inconsistent within the region one releases.

Basically, Quantum Leap is, with the possible exception of WKRP, the worst music replacement instance in history as far as I'm concerned (*looks behind back to check for angry and disagreeing Fugitive fans*). If you'd ever consider importing from the UK to get uncut episodes, this is the time to do it.

By the way, I seem to recall hearing that the Australian release of the fourth season had the original music. Not sure if that's correct since I had already imported it from the UK before the news broke, but it's worth looking into for any completionists out there.
Old 08-07-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to agree with Dogbert. In a show like Quantum Leap which is a period show, the music is essential in creating the atmosphere and pulling you into that world. The replaced 'muzak' crap they put in is horrendous and immediately noticeable.

The replacement of Georgia in the scene Dogbert refers to is criminal and kills any emotional impact the scene previously had.

I don't understand (outside of Georgia) why they didn't just license lesser known songs from the same time periods at a cheaper cost. It would have kept the vibe of the show intact without pulling you out of a scene like the generic music does.
Old 08-07-08, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't understand (outside of Georgia) why they didn't just license lesser known songs from the same time periods at a cheaper cost. It would have kept the vibe of the show intact without pulling you out of a scene like the generic music does.
They claim the replaced music was never due to high costs, but simply because they wanted to rush the sets to get them to the fans as quickly as possible. They then said for the fifth season that they realized the fans wanted the music and adjusted their strategy to match. Now, I'm not sure I buy that (they may have been more swayed by lower costs than those statements let on), but either way this is not a case like most other shows where the music owner's initial offer is prohibitively high.

IIRC, I seem to recall hearing that the music left in season 2-4 all either a) were included in a previous home video release and might have already been licensed or b) were so integrated into the scene they could not be removed (such as a character signing along - though I recall some frat boys' use of Louie Louie lyrics being muted on the DVD). I don't know if that's true or not though.
Old 08-07-08, 11:58 AM
Banned

If the reason for replaced music is time then maybe it will all be fixed for a Complete Series release. Any news at all on that anyway? It's been a while since the last release hasn't it?
Old 08-07-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by Dogbert
By the way, I seem to recall hearing that the Australian release of the fourth season had the original music. Not sure if that's correct since I had already imported it from the UK before the news broke, but it's worth looking into for any completionists out there.
Unfortunately not true:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/ind.../t-481659.html
Old 08-07-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The music replacements instigated my dumping them on ebay, and only hope for a corrected Blu release. I agree with the WKRP statement.