Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

Use BVE4299X for 33% off any item. It's good through the 27th.
Old 06-28-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It's over, corrected. But it's buggin' me. That 'what if'.

Last Thursday (22nd) I took a look at my BofA visa account, I saw something odd.

A charge for $6.51 from Boarders.com (charged on the 21st). I don't remember ordering anything or visiting their store (it's far from me). In fact that last 50% off coupon deal was the very first time I ever ordered anything from Boarders (three DVDs). And all of them arrived weeks ago.

So I call customer service and ask what the charge is for? They have no answer; saying wait a few days and see if goes away. Which it did yesterday.

I've ordered from Wal-Mart, Amazon, Best Buy, Deep Discount and Overstock to name a few and that has never happened before. Okay yeah, it's all good now, but is that normal for Boarders? Random charge?
Old 06-28-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan

Last Thursday (22nd) I took a look at my BofA visa account, I saw something odd.

A charge for $6.51 from Boarders.com (charged on the 21st). I don't remember ordering anything or visiting their store (it's far from me). In fact that last 50% off coupon deal was the very first time I ever ordered anything from Boarders (three DVDs). And all of them arrived weeks ago.

So I call customer service and ask what the charge is for? They have no answer; saying wait a few days and see if goes away. Which it did yesterday.

I've ordered from Wal-Mart, Amazon, Best Buy, Deep Discount and Overstock to name a few and that has never happened before. Okay yeah, it's all good now, but is that normal for Boarders? Random charge?
Who are you talking to?
Old 06-29-11, 06:32 AM

The group.
Old 06-29-11, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe because you bought the DVDs from Borders.com and the charge was from Boarders.com. Did you stay a night at the old rooming house in Dodge City or something?
Old 06-29-11, 08:05 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Okay yeah, it's all good now, but is that normal for Boarders? Random charge?
I ordered several items from Borders last month with the 50% off coupon. All were received weeks ago and appeared on my last billing statement. Last week, I suddenly see $240 in pending charges on my credit card.

I alerted my credit card company that I had nothing on order that would account for such a large preauthorization. Thankfully, the pending amount has gradually decreased throughout the week and no actual charges have been posted -- but reading your message makes me think Borders could have been to blame. Maybe something happened with their system that caused multiple reauthorizations for purchases that were already billed? I can't really be sure, but this situation has gotten me very suspicious -- I've been monitoring my account like crazy these past few days.
Old 06-29-11, 03:16 PM

Thank you.

This is good to know.
Old 06-30-11, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b
Thankfully, the pending amount has gradually decreased throughout the week and no actual charges have been posted -- but reading your message makes me think Borders could have been to blame.
I spoke too soon -- a charge just went through from Borders for $13.33. I ordered nothing that cost that amount and had no pending backorders with them.

This is completely unacceptable. I'm contacting these bozos ASAP. Hopefully the charge will be refunded as it was in your case, but this should never have happened - PERIOD. I'll have to contact my CC company tomorrow, but they'll probably advise me to wait until the billing period is over to dispute this unauthorized charge.

EDIT: Okay - turns out, I'm the bozo. I just got a shipping notice and realized this was indeed a legitimate charge -- for a Media Blasters box set I ordered in JANUARY... no wonder I'd forgotten about it.

This box set was out of print anyway, so after two months on backorder, I just assumed it would never ship. So that's a relief... but it still doesn't explain the $240 in pending charges that popped up last week.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-30-11 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-30-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I spoke too soon -- a charge just went through from Borders for $13.33. I ordered nothing that cost that amount and had no pending backorders with them.

This is completely unacceptable. I'm contacting these bozos ASAP. Hopefully the charge will be refunded as it was in your case, but this should never have happened - PERIOD. I'll have to contact my CC company tomorrow, but they'll probably advise me to wait until the billing period is over to dispute this unauthorized charge.

EDIT: Okay - turns out, I'm the bozo. I just got a shipping notice and realized this was indeed a legitimate charge -- for a Media Blasters box set I ordered in JANUARY... no wonder I'd forgotten about it.

This box set was out of print anyway, so after two months on backorder, I just assumed it would never ship. So that's a relief... but it still doesn't explain the $240 in pending charges that popped up last week.
Contact your CC company to officially verify and account for all those charges.
Old 06-30-11, 10:35 PM

It was a pending charge that has fallen off already, so I'm not certain my CC company would have a record of where the authorization was coming from. But it is still bugging me, so I'll definitely give them a call.
Old 07-01-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooooo... Any coupons for this weekend? I will be a-wandering, and it's always good to have a couple of print-outs in the hip pocket if I stumble across a Borders.
Old 07-01-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Preterite
Sooooo... Any coupons for this weekend? I will be a-wandering, and it's always good to have a couple of print-outs in the hip pocket if I stumble across a Borders.
I don't think a day goes by without there being an active Borders coupon. Here's a 30% off list on one item in store and online coupon. And code BAV9648A will get you 33% off list on one item online.
Old 07-05-11, 02:09 AM

This is from the July 4th (2011) issue of Home Media by Erik Gruenwedel...
Direct Brands, parent of mail-order disc service Columbia House, among other services, has put in an offer to purchase bankrupt Borders Group Inc. The deal includes the Michigan based bookstore company's assets for $215.1 million plus assuming $220 million of liabilities. The transaction is subject to bankruptcy court approval. Mike Edwards, Borders Group president, said, "We look forward to working with a supportive partner as we continue to execute on our turnaround strategy." Borders filed Chapter 11 in February, announcing plans at the time to close about a third of its stores.
I haven't used Columbia House since I was in my teens, cassettes.
Old 07-05-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

This is from the July 4th (2011) issue of Home Media by Erik Gruenwedel...

I haven't used Columbia House since I was in my teens, cassettes.
Thanks for the update.
Old 07-15-11, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Single-Disc DVDs 40 % off list price

Limit 2. Single- and double-disc only. Excludes box sets. Selection varies by store. While supplies last.

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/201...id=SA_20110715
Old 07-15-11, 07:44 AM

Looks like Borders is close to extinction. Many reports in media today about strong chance for liquidation.
Old 07-15-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
Looks like Borders is close to extinction. Many reports in media today about strong chance for liquidation.
Future of this company is supposed to be decided upon next week...thinking they'll be done.
Old 07-15-11, 03:52 PM
Zbu

The rumors are true.

Last Sunday I headed into the main store in Ann Arbor before going over to Top of the Park and there was a lot of stuff on clearance. Downstairs they had most of their DVDs at the normal exaggerated prices and upstairs was pretty much cleared out. Sadly, they were trying to cover this by having a 'coming soon: community free space' along with some newly painted walls. But then there was more clearance signage for CDs and the like. They still had a lot of books, but a lot of shelves were emptier than usual.

If you want something from Borders, you might want to get it soon. If you have a chance to get your Borders Plus Membership refunded, do it immediately. The place is a sinking ship.
Old 07-18-11, 01:58 PM

Any news updates on Borders?

Ordered Grindhouse Blu-ray for $5.11 on Friday (after rewards plus, 30% coupon, and ten dollars in borders bucks). Hopefully this ships and there
are no problems.
Old 07-18-11, 05:46 PM

Borders is dead. Just reported on NBC Evening News. Stick a fork in it.
Old 07-18-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No surprise there...just overpriced stuff, low quantities and they just got beat out by Amazon. Will B&N be next?
Old 07-18-11, 07:12 PM

Just checked and my order is "in-process".........placed on Friday
allegedly "in-stock-ships in 24 hours".......LOL

Anyone know if there is any type of recourse a consumer can take who
has bought their now worthless "Plus Rewards" membership in the last
month or two? Or is it a consumer life lesson at this point?
Old 07-18-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kevy
Anyone know if there is any type of recourse a consumer can take whohas bought their now worthless "Plus Rewards" membership in the last month or two? Or is it a consumer life lesson at this point?
Life lesson most likely. It was common knowledge they were hanging on by a thread so any purchase was a risk.
Old 07-19-11, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can purchase Borders gift cards online, but I do not suggest doing so: http://www.borders.com/online/store/BGIView_giftcards
Old 07-19-11, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kevy
Anyone know if there is any type of recourse a consumer can take who has bought their now worthless "Plus Rewards" membership in the last month or two? Or is it a consumer life lesson at this point?
If you bought it within the past 30 days, you should still be able to cancel it. Otherwise, your only other recourse is to dispute it with your credit card company.

Since the store doesn't officially liquidate until Friday, I tried to upgrade my membership yesterday to get the coupons and $10 in Border's Bucks but the manager wouldn't let me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.