Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official Borders Coupon Thread volume 2 - Updated Weekly

Looks like they're killing all the SoCal stores.
Old 02-16-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
Looks like they're killing all the SoCal stores.
The South Coast Plaza, Westwood, and The District locations seem to have made the cut
Old 02-16-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I wonder what they will do if you pre-order a title with the site to store option and when it becomes available, that store is no longer open.

I guess that I'm going to find out. Assuming that they do fulfill my pre-orders(both coming out at the end of May), the location that I chose is closing.
Old 02-16-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The two nearest Borders stores in my area look like they are going to remain open. However I hardly shop at Borders since B&N has about four stores that are closer.
Old 02-16-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bummer. The local Borders appears to be closing. There are a couple B&Ns nearby, but Borders always had WAY better sale prices (33% off much of the time and sometimes as much as 40 or even 50% off).

I guess I'll be ordering books exclusively from Amazon in the foreseeable future.
Old 02-16-11, 09:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

3 borders in Pittsburgh are closing. Hopefully they reduce things properly. I won't set food in their store until I hear everything is 50% off. Even then I'm sure they'll stop at 20% and mail everything off to other stores.
Old 02-16-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
3 borders in Pittsburgh are closing. Hopefully they reduce things properly. I won't set food in their store until I hear everything is 50% off. Even then I'm sure they'll stop at 20% and mail everything off to other stores.
A pre-filing news article talked about liquidators bidding for the rights to manage the close-out sales.

If you're familiar with liquidation sales, don't expect to see big discounts for a while. They'll start with 10%-20% off of MSRP. This will attract lots of suckers who think they're getting a real deal. From there, higher percentages will follow, but by the time they're in the sweet spot for most DVDTalk Bargain Forum-types, most of the good stuff will be long gone.

Also, as you mentioned, there is a strong possibility that a lot of merch will be boxed up and returned to their distro centers for redeployment to their 400+ surviving stores. Remember this is a reorganization, not a going-out-of-business sale.
Old 02-17-11, 01:00 AM

If you go to the store locator and put in your zipcode, the results will show you which stores are closing in your area. Borders has also posted a list of store closings by state here.

Last edited by DiscGuy; 02-17-11 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added link to list by state.
Old 02-17-11, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
The South Coast Plaza, Westwood, and The District locations seem to have made the cut
The one on Westwood Blvd closed in December.

The Westwood community is now without a bookstore unless you go down to the Westwood-Pico B&N
Old 02-17-11, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish all the ones in Iowa would close so I don't have to pay sales tax on the off chance that there is actually something that is a low enough price worth buying.

Is that mean?
Old 02-17-11, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lipid
Our local Borders in Princeton, NJ, had its closing sale during December and January, and is now gone. Like you, nobody bought anything initially, waiting for the percent-off to increase. Finally, they put up signs that said nothing was going to go below 40% off, "so don't wait". And it was true. Stuff went back to the vendors. Whole sections of manga (what I was waiting for) disappeared overnight, shipped back to the publishers. Same for DVDs.

In their place they trucked in shelves and shelves of bargain books......chicklit, teen paperback series, etc....originally priced at $9.99, blue stickered $3.99, and then the discounts came off. Those discounts *did* increase over time, eventually getting to 90% off, then everything $1 or 50 cents. But before anything went that low, they packed up a lot of the bargain books and just sent them away, so we didn't even have a chance to browse much of a selection at the lowest prices. It was the oddest store closing I ever saw.

Good luck to the bargain hunters!
Old 02-17-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Neeb
That's really disappointing. I used to use the parking lot at that Borders whenever I went to Westwood. It was extremely convenient and cheap.
Old 02-17-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
I wish all the ones in Iowa would close so I don't have to pay sales tax on the off chance that there is actually something that is a low enough price worth buying.

Is that mean?
Not mean, just short-sighted. (Although I am sure you are mostly joking.) Less competition is not good, and personally I think less access to books is awful. In one of the articles I read about the Borders bankruptcy, an analyst predicts a 90% reduction in bookstore shelf space across the entire industry within the next 10 years. That sounds pretty terrible to me. I love bookstores and think they are really culturally important.
Old 02-17-11, 12:30 PM
Zbu

The Detroit News is reporting that Borders may not survive reorganization due to not being able to set limits on how far their bankruptcy will go. I doubt this will affect prices much, but it's pretty obvious that if you have any Borders Bucks or you can seek a refund for their Rewards Plus memberships, you probably should do it now and save yourself the hassle.
Old 02-18-11, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Borders.com just did their best impersonation of B&N--they canceled one of my orders for no reason. I had The Guild S4 pre-ordered (with a 40% off coupon), and they just canceled it.

I guess that means they won't be getting any new stock for a while until the bankrupcty details are worked out with their creditors...
Old 02-18-11, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Borders.com just did their best impersonation of B&N--they canceled one of my orders for no reason. I had The Guild S4 pre-ordered (with a 40% off coupon), and they just canceled it.

I guess that means they won't be getting any new stock for a while until the bankrupcty details are worked out with their creditors...
Someone also posted in the store thread that their The Guild S4 was cancelled.

I also posted in that thread that my order of The League S1 Blu was cancelled this morning. If you really don't have it and aren't going to ship it, then take it off the damned web page!
Old 02-18-11, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Me too. I had a book ship to store. Listed on site as in stock now and when I ordered it. When I checked the status it said backordered but is still on site as in stock. This morning they sent an email saying it is cancelled.

Dear anthony,
Unfortunately, one or more of the items that you ordered has been cancelled either at your request or because the item(s) are not available.
Your credit card has not been charged. If you paid with a gift card, the funds have already been decremented from the gift card; therefore we will mail a new gift card number which will take up to 10 business days to receive in the mail. Borders Bucks redeemed at the time of your order have been added back to your Borders Rewards account.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 02-18-11, 07:07 AM

33 % off list price
Valid 2/18/11 through 2/21/11 In–Store: Print & Present Coupon
or Show It on Your Mobile Device At Borders.com:
Use Promo Code
BHL5794Y
Old 02-18-11, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Hassan
33 % off list price
Valid 2/18/11 through 2/21/11 In–Store: Print & Present Coupon
or Show It on Your Mobile Device At Borders.com:
Use Promo Code
BHL5794Y
Thanks, Randy! Here's a linky for the printable coupon: http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/20110218sa33.html
Old 02-18-11, 03:17 PM

I had my pre-order for the upcoming Criterion release, "Senso," cancelled yesterday. I had used a 40% off coupon when I ordered it in December. Then this morning I had two pre-ordered classical CDs canceled. I had used 33% off coupons for each of them and ordered them within the last two weeks.

Of course there is no way to know if the coupons affected the cancellations, though I have several other pre- and backorders still open that use coupons.

It may be that they can't get things from certain distributors because of the bankruptcy.

Anyone else have a Criterion cancelled?
Old 02-18-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's another 33% off online code good through the 2/21/11 I believe:

BAX3447N
Old 02-18-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Dear Valued Customer,

We accidentally canceled your recent pre-order #3719. If you have not done so already, please feel free to reprocess your order. If you would like assistance with processing your order, please contact our Customer Service line at 1-800-770-7811.

On behalf of Borders, we want to personally apologize for this mistake. We can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have your order canceled without your approval.

The last thing we want to do is disappoint our loyal customers. We hope you will give us another chance to offer you the great service you expect from us. As a token of our appreciation, here is a coupon good for 30% off your next order. Please use promo code BA - valid through 3/6/11.

Once again, please accept our apologies.
Old 02-18-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Dear Valued Customer,

We accidentally canceled your recent pre-order
I got the same email. I wrote back and asked them what kind of an apology 30% off was when they frequently release 33 and 40% off coupons for no reason.
Old 02-18-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Neeb

The Westwood community is now without a bookstore unless you go down to the Westwood-Pico B&N
Oh, I didn't even realize that Westwood one had already closed. But, there actually is a pretty big bookstore that is still in Westwood. It's in Ackerman Union on the ground floor.
Old 02-19-11, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by izatright
I got the same email. I wrote back and asked them what kind of an apology 30% off was when they frequently release 33 and 40% off coupons for no reason.
I got the same email, and was thinking the exact same thing. The order they canceled had a 40% off coupon on it, so they better re-place the order at 40% off again...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.