Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Hot!!! B1G1 Offer on Criterion titles at DD (Starts 7/16 and ends 7/29)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hot!!! B1G1 Offer on Criterion titles at DD (Starts 7/16 and ends 7/29)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else having trouble accessing their shopping cart at DD?
Old 07-15-08, 01:27 PM

Guys help me out please I will be getting Do the Right Thing

but for my second one I dont know what I should get I want a great thriller that I can watch over and over again that can entertain me. Maybe a crime thriller. I was thinking of La Haine or maybe even F for Fake.
Old 07-15-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Vanishing - One of the greatest thrillers ever made
Old 07-15-08, 01:46 PM

Spoorloos right? Yeah I heard nothing about great about that movie, will really think about it thanks a lot
Old 07-15-08, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviehead21

but for my second one I dont know what I should get I want a great thriller that I can watch over and over again that can entertain me. Maybe a crime thriller. I was thinking of La Haine or maybe even F for Fake.
La Haine is very good. I'd suggest getting that or Before the Rain, House of Games or The Ice storm.
Havnt seen F for Fake (but I did just order that one myself) but it doesnt sound much like a thriller.
The Vanshing is good but it wont be much of a bargain cause its a $24 title and Do the right thing is a $32 title so you wouldnt really be taking advantage of this sale if you went that route.
Old 07-15-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

vanishing is good but doesnt match up with the do the right thing price
Old 07-15-08, 02:32 PM

If you like Do the Right Thing, you should definately get La Haine.

(On La Haine, the director did mention how he is influanced by Spike Lee.)

That made a excellent double-features!

Last edited by tsetse27; 07-15-08 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 02:46 PM

I second (or third) La Haine to go with your Do the Right Thing. You will probably be disappointed by F for Fake if you go in thinking it's a crime thriller. I guess the best way to describe it would be an experimental documentary about truth and reality?
Old 07-15-08, 02:53 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although it takes place in an English boarding school. Lindsay Anderson's IF... would also make a complementary double feature with DO THE RIGHT THING.
Old 07-15-08, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Every choice I cart says "This item is temporarily out of stock, and it will ship to you as soon as the product becomes available. We will email you soon with an estimated delivery date. You will not be charged for this item until it is shipped."

Is this normal?

E
Old 07-15-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want a great thriller that I can watch over and over again that can entertain me. Maybe a crime thriller. I was thinking of La Haine or maybe even F for Fake.
As others have said, F for Fake is NOT the kind of movie you're describing here.
Old 07-15-08, 03:11 PM

Well, my first few choices, Third Man, Wages of Fear, Ikiru, are temporarily out of stock, so I'm choosing Thief of Bagdad for sure.
My second choice is between Drunken Angel or Army of Shadows. Any suggestions?
Also, when it says "Temporarily out of stock", what's the general time frame on DD getting more in and filling the order. Is it worth to wait for my original choices or should I just take what's available now?
Thanks!

Last edited by redcon1; 07-15-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ice Storm and Green for Danger already shipped!
Old 07-15-08, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by redcon1
Well, my first few choices, Third Man, Wages of Fear, Ikiru, are temporarily out of stock, so I'm choosing Thief of Bagdad for sure.
Also, when it says "Temporarily out of stock", what's the general time frame on DD getting more in and filling the order. Is it worth to wait for my original choices or should I just take what's available now?
Thanks!
Drunken Angel is Kurosawa's best film. At about 95 minutes, it manages to be both his most taut and his deepest film. The acting and the interplay between Takashi/Toshiro is superb; it is their greatest collaboration. It is the only DVD I know for sure that I am picking up as part of this sale.

EDIT: It is also fascinating to watch the critique of post-war Japan that Kurosawa evokes here, moreso in this film than in any of his other films.

Last edited by wilky61; 07-15-08 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 03:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Every choice I cart says "This item is temporarily out of stock, and it will ship to you as soon as the product becomes available. We will email you soon with an estimated delivery date. You will not be charged for this item until it is shipped."

Is this normal?
Yes.
Old 07-15-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I want to get Blast of Silence since I was screwed out of a copy in the exchange forum a couple months ago, but can't find another same-price title to buy with it...
Naked Kiss or Shock Corridor would be a perfect double bill with Blast, though both are rumored as re-release candidates.
Old 07-15-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!
YMMV, but I almost always skip on out-of-stock items at DDD, because in some (or most) cases, you can end up waiting weeks or even months for your order, especially when you figure in the looooong delays with their free shipping. I would rather get my order in something like a reasonable time frame rather than waiting for weeks upon weeks and wondering if it got lost, canceled, or simply forgotten by DDD.

On the other hand, you can occasionally get lucky and stuff that's OOS comes back in-stock pretty quickly. So I suppose it can be worth it, if you're very patient by nature.
Old 07-15-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get Alphaville with Blast of Silence. Or Le Samourai.
Old 07-15-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4

Is this normal?

E
I remember back about 3 months ago they were having a Fox b2g1f sale. I started to buy the latest 3 film noirs but decided to wait. Went back a few days before the sale ended and they were not part of the sale anymore.
Old 07-15-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
I would get Alphaville with Blast of Silence. Or Le Samourai.
Criterion's edition of Alphaville is pretty hurtin'. The R2 Optimum appears to have a superior transfer,plus it includes a 30 min featurette on the film. Not as cheap as the Criterion during this awesome sale, but still quite reasonable at £7.98 from Amazon.co.uk

Last edited by NoirFan; 07-15-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 06:02 PM

I picked up Monsters and Madmen and 3 Films by Teshigara. Warning though - The shipping to Canada was a bit expensive IMO. ($16.95) With shipping, the boxes came out to $40 bucks each, which is as cheap as I'll be able to get them for awhile, so still happy.
Old 07-15-08, 06:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Amazon had a sale in September 2007 that had prices a little better than this sale, e.g., Monsters and Madmen $28.80, Green For Danger $14.00, The Flowers of St. Francis $10.80. However, I think there were only about 20 titles in the sale, and I don't recall any other sales that were as good as that one (or this one). You probably will be waiting a long time for another Criterion sale as good as this.

Thanks!
DD got most of the backordered items that I ordered in the recent 20% off sale more quickly than I expected, although I'm still waiting on a few (non-Criterions- the Criterions came back in stock quickly).

I would suggest getting what you most want. Personally, The Third Man is one of the movies that I always stop and watch if I'm channel surfing, and I think Ikiru is another of the greatest movies of all time. I haven't seen The Wages of Fear in a long time.

I don't understand the complaints about the time it takes for items to come back in stock and to arrive (with free shipping). You've already waited months for the sale. You can pick a Criterion DVD up at Barnes & Noble for full price (10% off if $40 and up), maybe use a coupon, and watch it tonight. Or you can order it from DD in this sale and get 2 DVDs for the same price or less.

None of the titles that you've mentioned has come out in the last month, so price is probably a key factor for you, as it is for most of us here.
Old 07-15-08, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ororama
Amazon had a sale in September 2007 that had prices a little better than this sale, e.g., Monsters and Madmen $28.80, Green For Danger $14.00, The Flowers of St. Francis $10.80. However, I think there were only about 20 titles in the sale, and I don't recall any other sales that were as good as that one (or this one). You probably will be waiting a long time for another Criterion sale as good as this.
you most want.
I remember that as well; I picked up The Flowers of St. Francis and When a Women Ascends the Stairs (already had everything else in the sale); I would say it was between ten to fifteen titles at the most. It was hardly a sale, the prices appeared late one evening and were back to normal by the next morning if I recall correctly, not something I would hold your breath on happening again.

I'm trying terribly hard to stay strong and not order anything, I will probably make two orders: one at the higher and lower tiers.
Old 07-15-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Army of Shadows is excellent. If you're into Melville, check out The Red Circle and Le Samurai as well.
Old 07-15-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got a shipping notice today for my Mafioso and Blast Of Silence order from yesterday.

A pretty good companion to Do The Right Thing could be Ace In The Hole (believe it or not) because it contains an video Afterword by Spike saying how remarkable the film is in the context of its time, etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.