Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Six Moral Tales by Eric Rohmer - back in stock at DeepDiscount

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 07-04-08, 04:58 PM

This message is for those folks who ordered "Six Moral Tales by Eric Rohmer" during the DD 20% off sale. I am starting a separate thread so this new info won't get overlooked by those who need it.

The title is back in stock at DD now after supposedly being "discontinued by the manufacturer". I sent a message to customer service asking them to re-process my original order at the original price ($43.56).

I had sent them an e-mail when my order was canceled pointing out that Criterion was still producing the set, and their reply included the following:
"We regret to inform you that, the title you requested is discontinued and no longer available. However, in some cases they may be reissued at a later date. If the item is reissued you will find it on our site at that time and we will be able to reprocess your order# xxxx for the original order price."

Here's hoping they keep their word and honor the sale price. Good luck to anyone else who chooses to pursue this.

Last edited by DVD Guy ATL; 07-04-08 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-04-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good Luck with those shitbags. They did the same to me sometime ago with the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece collection. After numerous calls, I got them to honor it but it was a painful experience.

But before anything, let me first receive my order from the 6/17. Boy, b/w DD and USPS, its one lethal combination you cannot take.
Old 07-05-08, 12:06 AM

Got confirmation that they are re-processing the order and honoring the price.
Old 07-05-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lucky you!

I removed it from my cart when I heard DD no longer carried it...

Looks like I'm SOL.
Old 07-06-08, 04:34 AM

They did this same BS to me with the Stanley Kubrick Collection during the sale last November. Now, this sale, they have it in stock and have no problem applying the discount. Ridiculous. I would have bought this set too.
Old 07-06-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hiccup
They did this same BS to me with the Stanley Kubrick Collection during the sale last November. Now, this sale, they have it in stock and have no problem applying the discount. Ridiculous. I would have bought this set too.
I'm not sure what to make of this. This past week, I received shipping confirmation for the Kubrick collection, which I ordered during the June 20% off sale. When I originally looked it up on DD's website, the listing said "ships directly from the manufacturer." I figured, at worst, the order wouldn't be processed and I had no idea if the actual set was oop or not. It was available elsewhere on line (buy.com for example), but Dvdplanet wouldn't even let you order it during their concurrent 20% off sale.

I guess "ships directly from the manufacturer" simply means they have access to a supply somewhere at that time, but not at their own wherehouse. Today I checked DD's website and they show the Kubrick set as being in stock.

Of course now the 20% off sale is over fwiw...
Old 07-07-08, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by tofferman
I'm not sure what to make of this. This past week, I received shipping confirmation for the Kubrick collection, which I ordered during the June 20% off sale. When I originally looked it up on DD's website, the listing said "ships directly from the manufacturer." I figured, at worst, the order wouldn't be processed and I had no idea if the actual set was oop or not. It was available elsewhere on line (buy.com for example), but Dvdplanet wouldn't even let you order it during their concurrent 20% off sale.

I guess "ships directly from the manufacturer" simply means they have access to a supply somewhere at that time, but not at their own wherehouse. Today I checked DD's website and they show the Kubrick set as being in stock.

Of course now the 20% off sale is over fwiw...
I managed to order the Kubrick Collection during the extended period (i.e. once they extended the sale to the 29th, and actually, on the 29th as a last order). They allowed for use of the 20% coupon. I don't know how, or where, they managed to get stock, and don't really care so much now, but I'm glad that I'm getting this time at least and won't have to pay out more money for it, or wait for it to turn up rare and have to spend more on it than I should. I just think that DD's practices in this regard are kind of shady, and if they don't get there act together, could be construed as bait and switch. Bait as in, oh looky here, we have the Kubrick set and will let you order with the coupon, but then cancel it saying it went OOP only to have it show up again weeks later. Also, I can't tell whether the set is or isn't OOP. My Border's and BB still carry it, while others stores don't seem to have it. It's probably the weirdest set I've seen.
Old 07-08-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called them up yesterrday about this, gave them my order #, yet they refused to honour it claiming once the sale was over they couldn't put through another order at the sale price.
Any suggestions how to best approach them on this?
Old 07-08-08, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I called them up yesterrday about this, gave them my order #, yet they refused to honour it claiming once the sale was over they couldn't put through another order at the sale price.
Any suggestions how to best approach them on this?
I handled my situation via e-mail. I told them I wanted them to re-process my original order since the item had come back into stock. They issued me a new order# (original price from the first order) and it is apparently on its way. I'm thinking this is a YMMV sort of situation. Probably helped that I had the follow-up e-mail from them about honoring the price in the future (see my first post above) and also that the set was listed as in-stock when I made the request.
Old 07-12-08, 01:35 AM

I ordered Six Moral Tales on 6/8/08 and received an email on 6/24/08 indicating that it was cancelled from my order. I did not send an email protesting the cancellation. After reading the first post in this thread, I sent an email requesting that they re-process the order for the original price. I received an email within a couple of days indicating that they would, and received an email indicating that it shipped yesterday at the original price.
Definitely worth the extra effort at this price. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-12-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ororama
I ordered Six Moral Tales on 6/8/08 and received an email on 6/24/08 indicating that it was cancelled from my order. I did not send an email protesting the cancellation. After reading the first post in this thread, I sent an email requesting that they re-process the order for the original price. I received an email within a couple of days indicating that they would, and received an email indicating that it shipped yesterday at the original price.
Definitely worth the extra effort at this price. Thanks for the information.
I did the exact same thing - send them an email asking for the order to be reprocessed the day this came back in stock. Am yet to hear anything from them. I wouldn't bother calling them due to the long hold times.
Old 07-12-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ororama
Did you mean "at the sale price"?

Has everyone here gotten confirmation-especially from you CC bank- that the amount you were charged was the sale price and not the regular price?

Two of the orders I placed with DVD Planet this sale were supposed to have applied store credit. This showed up in the inital, immediate invoice- but not in subsequent invoices and never was applied. Different company, but still....

Old 07-12-08, 03:18 PM

I was charged the correct (sale) price. Glad to hear other folks have been able to have this rectified.
Old 07-13-08, 01:28 AM

The email from DeepDiscount.com indicates the sale price ($43.56). The re-processed order doesn't appear in my account's order history, but I don't think that's unusual-I know there are often orders that I've received months before that still are listed as incomplete.