Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

24 - All Six Seasons for $27 Total! (bestbuy instore)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to be used in conjunction with any other specials or offer.

That's what this SALE is. It's limited-time offer. Also known as a SPECIAL.

And even if you do report them to the BBB, and the BBB examines the fineprint. Your complaint will be dismissed.

Period.
Old 06-30-08, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
It's too coincidental I call my local Best Buy, CSR says they physically see several. I go online and they are in stock. Then I go to the store not 10 minutes later and they are entirely gone. I even called Best Buy today and told them about an email I received 20mins after my entire order was complete and ready for pick up. The CSR even admitted it was fishy and didn't make sense.
I know someone who worked at retail when she was in high school. (Though not at Best Buy.)

She said that when someone called up the store to ask if they had [X] in-stock, they were always supposed to say "yes" whether or not they did. They weren't even supposed to check, just tell the caller that they did have [X] in stock, and no, they wouldn't hold it for them. So that when they finally showed up they'd buy the item, or be told that they must have just sold the last one.

They just wanted to get people with money into the store, period.

Which is why I never bother calling ahead.
Old 06-30-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I knew about this deal or saw this thread, I ordered 24 S1 SE and S6 for $16.99 + $1.99 for in-store pickup. Then after reading about this deal, I picked up my order. S1 had the $15 off coupon on the front, so I could've used it, BUT... seasons 2-5 were out of stock by early Sunday afternoon, so having the coupon was a moot point.

My understanding from the coupon is you have to buy S1 SE at the same time as the other seasons. A store about 25 miles away supposedly has seasons 2-5, but I'd have to return S1 SE and S6 first and repurchase them, and hope that a manager doesn't step in and deny me. Given the price of gas and that success on this is a longshot, I guess I'll stick with my S1 SE + S6 for $18.98. I would've liked to replace my S2-S4 thickpacks with thinpacks. Oh well. Had I known about this deal beforehand, I would've been there when the store opened.

I asked my local store if they'd be getting any more 24 seasons in this week, and they said "probably not". They offered a rain check, but somehow I doubt they'd let me use the coupon with the rain checks after the sale is over. Considering how few S1-S5 stores in my area had, I doubt each Best Buy sold more than a handful of sets to people with the coupon.

Did anyone ask the store employees if their store plans to get in more stock this week?

Last edited by Manzana; 06-30-08 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 07:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
I don't see why there should be any animosity towards the BBB post guy.

He is completely in the right. He went into a BBB-accredited establishment, attempted to make a lawful purchase with a coupon from their very establishment, a coupon with very clear offer that can be understood by anyone with an eight-grade reading level, and was refused the proper service [honouring of their OWN coupon]. He has every right to file a compliant. It isn't frivolous in any way. And it's not about what item it is or isn't --- Best Buy doesn't carry stoves or "refridgerators" [sic], so does that mean that their talking monkeys with name tags that say MANAGER above their names should never be accountable for their actions? That Best Buy should never be held accountable for providing fair and equitable business/service?

E
As others have said, BB is not supposed to accept a coupon with sale pricing. That is standard policy at almost every chain, and is in black and white on every coupon.

If we got in on this "deal", it was lucky and we shouldn't complain if BB rightfully refuses to sell it to us at the $1.99 price.

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
$15 off all the other seasons, when brought with Season 1 SE, up to $75 off Combined.

Period.

E
That only applies to regular pricing of course.
Old 06-30-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
As others have said, BB is not supposed to accept a coupon with sale pricing. That is standard policy at almost every chain, and is in black and white on every coupon.

If we got in on this "deal", it was lucky and we shouldn't complain if BB rightfully refuses to sell it to us at the $1.99 price.

That only applies to regular pricing of course.
All 100% true and, I agree, people shouldn't complain if they didn't get to use the coupon. (From what I read, I also believe that managers should remain polite in situations like this.) And contacting the BBB is moot in this instance. Still, BB helped open the "deal" box by their online offer of $15 off an additional season, which was certainly via the use of this coupon. Which then brings us back to the small print on the coupon being good for up to $75 and so on. BB has every right to turn down the coupon but they inadvertently created the situation.

Last edited by Pizza; 06-30-08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is everyone now saying that unless MSRP is charged, then you can't use coupons?
Old 06-30-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why couldn't I have read this thread yesterday?! They'll probably all be gone this morning.
Old 06-30-08, 07:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0
So is everyone now saying that unless MSRP is charged, then you can't use coupons?
No. But technically, that is the rule. Always has been everywhere. Of course, YMMV everywhere.

Just because the "glitch" works on the BB website, BB does not have to honor this "deal". The fine print is very clear.

That said. Give it a try if you like 24. It worked for me, got the two seasons I wanted for $19 total.
Old 06-30-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding using a coupon with "special pricing": I've never been denied the use of one of BB's 10% or 12% off coupons with any "specially" priced item. That's Borders crap (to paraphrase Get Smart).

BB (at least in my experience) sets a corporate practice that creates customer expectations such that, if it arbitrarily and inconsistently ignores them on a manager's whim, it is bound to piss people off (even if they are doing nothing illegal).
Old 06-30-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

crap...i don't understand. All stores within 100 miles of me are SOLD OUT of all seasons of 24?! well i guess ill just have to stop by one on the way and see if they have it in stock and it's just not showing up on their site...
Old 06-30-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of an odd question, but would the coupon work on the regular edition of season 1 as well? I'm mainly interested in getting the slim cases of seasons 1-4. Not sure if I really need the SE of season 1.
Old 06-30-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did they rerelease S1 as slim cases? Regardless, I dont think the coupon comes on Season 1, non SE
Old 06-30-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kaze0
Did they rerelease S1 as slim cases? Regardless, I dont think the coupon comes on Season 1, non SE
Yes. Seasons 1-4 were re-released in slim cases like 5-6 a year or two ago.

I know the coupon is not on the non-SE. I'd buy both and just dump the SE somewhere. I just want all my sets to match and also free up some shelf space.
Old 06-30-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to BB's website, none of Season 1 is in stock at the various stores in my area. I'm still going to check it out just in case the site is wrong. I'll post my results later today. Wish me luck!
Old 06-30-08, 09:14 AM

I just had my mother try this at the Best Buy in Trumbull, CT, and the sales associate said the coupon would only be good for one season.
Old 06-30-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leest3
I just had my mother try this at the Best Buy in Trumbull, CT, and the sales associate said the coupon would only be good for one season.
Thanks for the heads-up! That's where I was heading first, followed by the Orange location. Small world.

EDIT: Your mom better not have taken the last Season 1 or there will be hell to pay!

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 06-30-08 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 09:32 AM

I got in on the deal but I had to pay tax on the pre-coupon price so I ended up paying $35.35. Now I gotta find a way to rid of the pre-slim seasons 1 and 2 that I have... thanks for the heads up OP!
Old 06-30-08, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Moopher
Not to be used in conjunction with any other specials or offer.

That's what this SALE is. It's limited-time offer. Also known as a SPECIAL.

And even if you do report them to the BBB, and the BBB examines the fineprint. Your complaint will be dismissed.

Period.
That's not the same philosophy one sees when going to a grocery store. As a coupon clipper and user, I always wait until the items I want are on sale and then use a coupon to further save me money. Coupons are applied at the END of a sale as a means of tender (i.e, payment). Whether the manufacturer or store offers payment on my behalf via a coupon, the price the item rings up has nothing to with payment. Why is Best Buy different?

They sell the sets for $16.99. By using the coupon, are they losing out on the $16.99 price tag? NO, they are not. They get the $15 credit from the manufacturer, FOX. No loss on their end.
Old 06-30-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sway
I got in on the deal but I had to pay tax on the pre-coupon price so I ended up paying $35.35. Now I gotta find a way to rid of the pre-slim seasons 1 and 2 that I have... thanks for the heads up OP!
You can trade them in for store credit at FYE. They have a promotion currently running that gives you an extra 20% for trade-ins.
Old 06-30-08, 09:57 AM

Can anyone confirm that this is still active? Also, could someone please post a scan of the coupon? Thanks! Would have gotten in on this yesterday but the internet was 'down' (GAY!)
Old 06-30-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
Can anyone confirm that this is still active? Also, could someone please post a scan of the coupon? Thanks! Would have gotten in on this yesterday but the internet was 'down'
The coupon is good until July 20. I think BB's $16.99 prices for the season sets goes through July 5. So the "whole deal" is until July 5.

Your problems will be finding S1 sets with the coupon, the other season sets in stock and the possibility of BB managers denying use of the coupon.
Old 06-30-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No luck at one BB. They had every season BUT the S1 SE tin.
Old 06-30-08, 10:13 AM

Did it today, it worked.
Old 06-30-08, 10:19 AM

Thanks, OP. Picked up all 6 for $29 w/tax, no fuss no muss in Huntsville, AL. Even informed another early-comer of the deal. His reaction was a "no way..." as he started stacking seasons.

Bask in the DVD Talk Goodness, plebian.
Old 06-30-08, 10:33 AM

Still works today. Scored every season but season 5.

Smoking!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.