Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by illennium
In other words, they already believe that the MAIN reason they're not making as much money as they want is that their discounts are too high.
It wouldn't surprise me if they LOSE money during the Criterion sales. I know Criterion gives them a discount of some sort, but with the B1G1F, coupons, and in-store membership discount, they must be losing money on that! I find it hard to believe that selling $40 sets for $13 is profitable...
Old 09-23-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
It wouldn't surprise me if they LOSE money during the Criterion sales. I know Criterion gives them a discount of some sort, but with the B1G1F, coupons, and in-store membership discount, they must be losing money on that! I find it hard to believe that selling $40 sets for $13 is profitable...
Not everyone follows these forums...
Old 09-24-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

BTW, coupons don't stack when using the Visa link anymore. Tried the 15% off one on page one and it doesn't work anymore. The only ones that offer free shipping with no minimum and some percentage off are Boeing, Visa, Notre Dame Store etc (basically whatever's on the first page in Laser's post).

Those coupons (the 15% non member coupons) still work while ordering on bn.com but you have to deal with the $25 min for free shipping.

Last edited by sleepyhead55; 09-24-10 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 08:44 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Bn.com actualy has one of those 5.99 sales on quite a few warner titles. I picked up 9 1/2 weeks director's edition for 5.99. One of the few I wanted after hanging out at big lots. This has kim basinger in her prime.
Old 09-26-10, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bought The Crook and Jeremy.
Old 09-27-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would suggest watching your emails closely for B&N offers this week since they are going to issue another batch of personal coupons. Looks like this time they are going to range from 20% to 70% off. Coupons I saw mentioned were for 20%, 25%, 30%, 50% and 70% off for one item. Here are the details for the 70% coupon.

http://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/shop...p?promoid=8500

70% Off 1 Item at BN.COM Coupon Details:

To qualify for offer: (i) you must have received an email communicating the offer directly from Barnes & Noble, and (ii) you must also make your purchase online at BN.COM using the email address to which the offer was sent. Orders made from other email addresses will not qualify for this offer.

This coupon can only be redeemed by email recipient and is only valid once per customer, per billing address, on a first-time online purchase at BN.COM.

This coupon expires 7 days after the email offer's Sent Date, inclusive of the email offer's Sent Date, at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. Please refer to your email communication for exact offer expiration date.

The 70% discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other eligible discounts are applied.

Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOK(TM) and related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, shipping or handling expenses, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts," (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the bn.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) may not be combined with any other coupon; and (vi) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble retail stores or Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. Void where prohibited by law.
Old 09-28-10, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how many members will get screwed because they don't receive B&N e-mails even though they have all the right options checked to receive e-mails? I've been a member for several years, have all the right options checked, and have NEVER received a B&N e-mail (and B&N customer service is no help).
Old 09-28-10, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by diditagain
So how many members will get screwed because they don't receive B&N e-mails even though they have all the right options checked to receive e-mails? I've been a member for several years, have all the right options checked, and have NEVER received a B&N e-mail (and B&N customer service is no help).
Ditto!

Gary "there's no way I'll renew with B&N when my membership is up" O.
Old 09-28-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, I just checked my account settings, and I'm set up to receive offers by e-mail. Yet, I can't remember receiving anything from them this past year.

Hmmmm........I wonder if I'll get one of those 70% off coupons?

The B&N Membership: "Slip slidin' away...."
Old 09-28-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't get it either. They send me coupons for one account I rarely use and the one account I use the most I get nothing.
Old 09-28-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I don't get it either. They send me coupons for one account I rarely use and the one account I use the most I get nothing.
Same here. I just went into my accounts and made a change (any change) to my Communication Preferences to see if that might help jumpstart the emails.
Old 09-28-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
Same here. I just went into my accounts and made a change (any change) to my Communication Preferences to see if that might help jumpstart the emails.
I tried that after the last coupons were emailed. I still haven't received a single email while a friend of mine continues to get emails on her account!
Old 09-29-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same with me. I have three accounts and only the account that I never use gets the emails. Also, I tried resetting all the preferences for emails but I tried subscribing to the newsletters and it wouldn't go through.
Old 09-29-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
That's almost exactly my problem. I have four accounts but the newest account is the only one that receives emails from B&N. Even my main account with a membership receives nothing. I tried contacting customer service about it a month ago and basically got nowhere. They said they would look into it. I did receive one B&N email for one offer but it looked like a forwarded message from someone in customer service. After that nothing else. I paid money for the membership and would think I should be entitled to receive emails with special offers and coupons.
Old 09-29-10, 02:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Has no one considered that retailers typically use coupons to attract NEW customers or to entice FORMER customers to come back? Why send out coupons to customers who are already spending money - much better to target those in their database that have stopped or cut back on their spending. --Peter
Old 09-29-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Has no one considered that retailers typically use coupons to attract NEW customers or to entice FORMER customers to come back? Why send out coupons to customers who are already spending money - much better to target those in their database that have stopped or cut back on their spending. --Peter
That's a nice theory, except you forgot that they're not even sending us advertisements of sales. That's pretty standard for a business because even old customers like to know about good deals. Obviously there's something wrong with their database. In fact, if you try to sign up for the newsletters now, you get an error notice. At least I do.
Old 09-29-10, 03:29 PM

No new coupons. No emails. No member discount. Is anyone going to renew thie membership?
Old 09-29-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by izatright
That's a nice theory, except you forgot that they're not even sending us advertisements of sales. That's pretty standard for a business because even old customers like to know about good deals. Obviously there's something wrong with their database. In fact, if you try to sign up for the newsletters now, you get an error notice. At least I do.
Exactly! It's not just coupons but advertisements for sales that B&N is not sending. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but they still send me all kinds of advertisements and offers to keep me coming back. A few B&N accounts I have that are not receiving any emails I rarely use them to make purchases. The majority of my orders are placed through my account with a membership. In fact for a while I stopped getting any emails until I created a fourth account several months ago. Something is obviously wrong.

Originally Posted by haroldS
No new coupons. No emails. No member discount. Is anyone going to renew thie membership?
Mine expires early next year and doubt I'll renew again if the current trends continue.
Old 09-29-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No new coupons. No emails. No member discount. Is anyone going to renew thier membership?
Ha! No way. I renewed in August, so if I can use a few $5 coupons in November (doubtful at this point), it will have been worth it. Otherwise, it would take a dramatic turn-around for me to renew again.
Old 09-29-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sure. It saves me at least $100/year, so why not renew?
Old 09-29-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Exactly! It's not just coupons but advertisements for sales that B&N is not sending. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but they still send me all kinds of advertisements and offers to keep me coming back. A few B&N accounts I have that are not receiving any emails I rarely use them to make purchases. The majority of my orders are placed through my account with a membership. In fact for a while I stopped getting any emails until I created a fourth account several months ago. Something is obviously wrong.

Mine expires early next year and doubt I'll renew again if the current trends continue.

I suspect they are sending everything to their most profitable customers. These companies are getting super efficient now days. Just as CH shut out those of us that manipulate memberships I figure BN is avoiding those who only buy at the bottom or a loss to them.....
Old 09-29-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i got one of those "enter the code and you could save up to 75% off one item!!!!!" coupons last month - and it didn't do anything but say "invalid" coupon. Thanks!
Old 09-29-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BKenn01
I suspect they are sending everything to their most profitable customers. These companies are getting super efficient now days. Just as CH shut out those of us that manipulate memberships I figure BN is avoiding those who only buy at the bottom or a loss to them.....
After the conversation I had late this afternoon with a customer service rep there might be some truth B&N is targeting customers who they think are less profitable to their bottom line. When I mentioned the vanishing emails with my member account the CSR I spoke with seemed to have the information and knowledge that I had not received any emails since May. When I pressed her for an answer she claimed she didn't exactly know why. Her answer was she thought it was because there were fewer sales and coupons since then. Obviously that is a flat out lie. Either she is totally clueless to what is going on or covering it up. But I found it interesting she did know that I was not getting the emails and when they stopped. Seems clear it is being intentionally done for some reason. It would be interesting if other DVDTalkers called to see what kind of answers they get on the emails.
Old 09-30-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This whole thing has the greasy fingerprints of a "Management Consultant" team.

I've been in business long enough to recognize these types of tweaks as coming from a contracted engagement of outside consultants who come in and examine all of the relevant practices, and come up with recommended solutions to increase profitability.

These so called "experts" often don't know their asses from their elbows, and the new polices instituted following their departure can have mixed results. In this case, cutting back on coupons and deals, may initially save them some money, but eventually it can result in a reduction in the number of memberships, and driving heretofore loyal customers elsewhere for their purchases.

B&N needs to fix their shit now with respect to their paying Members, or we will most certainly vote with our feet. God bless America.
Old 09-30-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Seems clear it is being intentionally done for some reason. It would be interesting if other DVDTalkers called to see what kind of answers they get on the emails.
Not too clear. It's equally plausible she was just ignorant because CS reps usually are. They either make stuff up or just stumble over their words because they don't know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.