Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Originally Posted by clckworang
Ding, ding, ding! I just received one.
I did not. Have you actually used your registered Visa card at B&N? I'm curious if that is why, or if the selection process is random.
Old 01-25-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Had the Criterion blu of Godzilla pre-ordered since early November and they send me a 'the release date for this item has been postponed' e-mail this morning. Wow.
I received the "approve an extension within 24 hours or we'll cancel the item" email. After I approved it, the item shipped in less than an hour. So why did I have to approve an extension?!?!?!?!
Old 01-25-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I did not. Have you actually used your registered Visa card at B&N? I'm curious if that is why, or if the selection process is random.
I think I have used it at B&N before.
Old 01-26-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the "approve an extension within 24 hours or we'll cancel the item" email. After I approved it, the item shipped in less than an hour. So why did I have to approve an extension?!?!?!?!
Maybe if you'd declined they would have sent it to me
Old 01-26-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Maybe if you'd declined they would have sent it to me
LOL! Sorry, I wasn't talking about Godzilla. Just the crazy way that B&N operates...
Old 01-26-12, 08:55 PM

$34 and change for the three Hitchcocks.
Old 01-27-12, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Louisville S
$34 and change for the three Hitchcocks.
How? They still aren't eligible online.
Old 01-27-12, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by pathman
How? They still aren't eligible online.
They were available at my store. I called in the morning yesterday and the guy in the Media Department confirmed they had one of each on Blu-ray. I was excited! He held them for me and after work I went to pick them up.

They were $24.99 each and I received an additional 10% discount since I am a member. I got the third movie free ("Buy 2, Get 1" Promotion), then I used a 20% member coupon, 15% non-member coupon, and $5 off an order of $15 or more (text from BN Buzz for enrolling).

• $24.99 * 0.90 = $22.49 * 0.80 = $17.99
• $24.99 * 0.90 = $22.49 * 0.85 = $19.12
• $24.99 * 0.90 = $22.49 * 0.00 = $00.00

• $17.99 + $19.12 = $37.11 - $5.00 ($5 off $15 or more)
• $32.11 * 1.0625 (Sales Tax)
• $34.12

I wasn't going to wait and hope Barnes & Noble fixes them so they work online for the "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deal. Nearest Costco is 66 mile roundtrip and I don't have a membership, and my Best Buy rarely carries new catalog titles. I figure this was the next best deal.
Old 01-27-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As always, thanks for the printout coupons, LASER.

Now, pardon me while I bitch about my most recent B&M visits...

Unless there's a Criterion sale going on, the main reason I stop at a B&M store is to pick up what they don't sell online: the latest issue of certain magazines (Rue Morgue, Video Watchdog, the occasional heavy metal mag like Terrorizer).

For the last few years I've been able to use these coupons without incident. However, my last couple of visits, the cashier's claimed "these don't work with magazines". I politely say they've been working for the last year or two. Then they pause to scrutinize the fine print, or hold up the line even longer by calling their supervisor over to scrutinize the fine print. They scroll their finger past "Additional Rules", spot the word "magazines", and respond with the corporate equivalent of a sarcastic "abracadabra".

Now, the first time they pulled this shit, it was late at night & they were closing, I assumed they were right & let it slide. But when I got home & read the coupon, I saw... they misread it & treated me like a dick for trying to use a perfectly valid coupon. Nothing unscrupulous about it. They can't read their own fine print:
(iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services [...] digital content (including but not limited to NOOK Books, magazines, and periodicals)
They skipped over the "digital content" part.

But I let it slide. "Hopefully everything will be back to normal next time. But if they challenge me again, I won't look forward to reading their own coupon to them."

Sure enough, next time I'm at the B&M delicately clutching a magazine, the clerk says "These coupons don't work with magazines sometimes." She calls her equally middle-aged supervisor. Both middle-aged ladies misread the fine print. As politely & non-condescendingly as possible, I point out that the "magazines" they're isolating appears in a larger parenthetical context of Digital Content. The says, doubtfully, "Well, we can try it." She scans the code with the physical equivalent of a *sigh*.

Of course it doesn't scan. They never scan.

So then she goes the full nine yards of manually punching in the 6 number code, looking forward to revealing me as a misguided, difficult customer who's holding up the line. Oh, she really doesn't want this coupon to work with the December Cronenberg issue of Fangoria. "Oh, it worked." I get my 15 fucking percent off (which is only like 6% after the 9% tax). And I have the nerve to ask for one of their slim magazine bags to keep the magazine protected during my 20 minute drive home.

It's not a nice feeling to leave a B&N saying to myself "Fuck this, I might as well stick to Fearshop.com if I want to buy the latest Rue Morgue. It usually arrives a few weeks before B&N put it on their shelves, anyway."
------------------------

To end on a more positive note: I've never encountered shit like this in the calm, segregated media section. In fact, sometimes I've ended up with the media clerk ringing up my magazine & coupon. I've grabbed my magazine first, then brought it with me as I browse in the media section. I'm the only one there. The media clerk's at the desk, not dealing with anyone. I hold up my Fango Rue Watchdog:

"Would I be able to buy this here?"
"Absolutely!"

There's an old lady in the media center who treats it as a positive, impressive thing when I'm able to find a bargain (especially using a coupon in conjunction with a 50% off Criterion).

The moral of the story is: The media center of a B&N B&M is a calm, understanding, tasteful oasis surrounded by ----s who are doing their part in discouraging potential customers from buying printed media at B&M stores.

At least in my experience with one particular B&M store. Anyone else find their media clerks to be far preferable to the ones lined up at the front of the store?

[And yes, I'm well aware what a petty First World Problem this is when compared to the grand scheme of a world bathed in bloodshed, oppression & rape.]
Old 01-27-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At least you have a media center. We only have books at ours.

When I first got my membership, I wrote down the number that it said to use in the email, until I got my card. The guy at the counter said that wasn't the right membership number because it had too many digits in it, so I had to dig my phone out, look up the email to show him that it really was the right number. If he hadn't been acting like a douche the entire time and was more open to the possibility that he doesn't actually know everything, I wouldn't have cared.
Old 01-27-12, 09:55 AM

When I handed the coupons to the cashier last night he started to say "They're not going to work on these items . . . oh wait!"

He thought they were $8 off $40 coupons. I had to explain they were percentage off coupons.
Old 01-27-12, 11:26 AM

Here's a first for me:

Last night I handed the media manager/cashier the 20% and 15% coupons to use towards Annie Hall, Manhattan, and The Apartment, which I'd called to place on hold the night before. He said "One coupon per transaction." I said "Since when?" He said "It's always been the policy." I told him it was the first time I've ever had an issue, but of course to him that didn't matter.

Then he told me, holding up the 15% coupon, "You can't use this anyway, since you're a member. This is a non-member coupon." I said, "You mean if I didn't have the 20% member coupon then I still couldn't use the 15% coupon?" Then he said quietly, "It might work."

Calmly annoyed, I said "No thanks" to the whole deal, and I walked out. Twenty-five minutes each way, packing my baby into the car. Great. I could go back and hope I get my usual guy, but I think I wasted enough gas and time. Which I only did because the titles are NOT included in the B2G1 online.

Yeah, it was only like a $4 difference, but I don't NEED to buy them now, just that the deal would have been pretty good. Besides, they'll probably show up at Costco next week for $9.99 like the Hitchcocks.
Old 01-27-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great post as always from my buddy, Deadpan, and the responses are equally entertaining and informative befitting the caliber of talent Laser inspires in this thread, but I still think my recent experience may trump all....

A clerk at the Burbank, CA B&N had waited on a woman wearing a lot of perfume right before me and engaged me in a conversation about how the greatest smell in the world is a man's natural scent. He boasted how he never used any deodorant or cologne and loved the way he smelled. He went into the biology and history of male odors and finally at the end of it asked if I wanted to smell him. I told him I thought I left the coffeemaker on at home and had to go.
Old 01-27-12, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Magazines have always been excluded. I would never even try because aside, from reading it on the coupon clearly, it just seems so obvious.

I find coupons like these - 20% off, on top membership discount and any sale price if any, makes for a decent deal on a cd, dvd or book.
Old 01-27-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I received a text from BN Buzz with an in-store coupon for 20% off. I assume this would be difficult to use if you didn't receive the text, but here it is:
Valid for 3 days
Old 01-27-12, 05:03 PM

Any idea why the online sale wasn't fixed for the entire time it was on? Did they fire their website staff? I am trying to get 6 items for the B2G1F sale, and the cart refuses to give me more than one item free. I know this used to work OK during previous sales... I would contact them, but what good would that do?
Old 01-27-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Are you positive that ALL 6 titles were eligible sale titles?
Old 01-27-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Are you positive that ALL 6 titles were eligible sale titles?

I think it's been one freebie per order for some time. I don't recall being able to get 2 free in an order when all 6 qualify. I just place 2 orders.

Last edited by jwstl; 01-27-12 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Great post as always from my buddy, Deadpan, and the responses are equally entertaining and informative befitting the caliber of talent Laser inspires in this thread, but I still think my recent experience may trump all....

A clerk at the Burbank, CA B&N had waited on a woman wearing a lot of perfume right before me and engaged me in a conversation about how the greatest smell in the world is a man's natural scent. He boasted how he never used any deodorant or cologne and loved the way he smelled. He went into the biology and history of male odors and finally at the end of it asked if I wanted to smell him. I told him I thought I left the coffeemaker on at home and had to go.
Damn, I thought this would lead up to something like...

"The clerk, btw, was John Landis."
Old 01-28-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Damn, I thought this would lead up to something like...

"The clerk, btw, was John Landis."

Old 01-28-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple of more store coupons you can try if you need them. These might be ymmv since they are the unique code variety and have already been redeemed online.

Old 01-29-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ If my theory holds water based on recent experience with one-time use coupons, EACH local store's computer will allow each coupon ONCE. But for only 15% off, I won't be trying them. If anyone else tries them, post your success or failure stories here...
Old 01-29-12, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by albert_m
Magazines have always been excluded. I would never even try because aside, from reading it on the coupon clearly, it just seems so obvious.

I find coupons like these - 20% off, on top membership discount and any sale price if any, makes for a decent deal on a cd, dvd or book.
I have never had a problem with magazines and coupons whether 15% or 50% and would also get the normal in-store 10% on top. Been doing this for years in the past, not recently though.
Old 01-30-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a reminder today is the last day of the b2g1f sale. Maybe a chance of getting some last minute bargains tonight before it ends on the B&N web site.
Old 01-30-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just discovered the surprise coupons are coming again this week. To receive a valid coupon will require receiving B&N emails.

Surprise Savings Coupon Details:

This coupon can be redeemed only once per customer per billing address at any Barnes & Noble retail store or online at BN.com.

This coupon is valid from February 2, 2012 and expires in stores February 5, 2012 at close of business, or for orders placed online, at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time February 6, 2012, while supplies last.

This coupon entitles you to one of the following discounts: 10%, 15%, 20%, 30% or 50% off the one eligible item in your order. The discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other eligible discounts, including (if applicable) the standard Member discount, are applied.

To see which discount offer you qualify for, enter this coupon at checkout. No purchase is required. You may choose not to complete your transaction after seeing your discount and before paying.

Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to NOOK Books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOK(r) devices and their related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts," (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) not valid at hp.bn.com (vi) not valid on applicable sales tax or shipping or handling expenses; (vii) may not be combined with any other coupon or promotional discount; and (viii) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores or websites. Void where prohibited by law.

This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor properly placed orders with valid methods of payment with sufficient funds placed prior to such change or discontinuation. Barnes & Noble is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.