DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/526383-official-anime-bargains-thread-%5Bupdated-daily-close-%5D-march-08-a.html)

WTK 03-06-08 09:57 PM

Weekly Specials & Closeout Items from RightStuf.com

Ongoing:New:

WTK 03-06-08 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by strawberry99
Any one have a picture of the inside packaging for Origin: Spirits of the Past?

I was surprised to see it available locally before street date. I was not impressed with the outer packaging. It was unusually thin for a 2 disc set. Thickness was essentially half the size of a normal plastic DVD case.

It seems cheaply made. I didn't buy it. Despite the extra features, I'm thinking about grabbing its first release.

I have a copy shipped to me. I will post pictures when I receive it.

WTK 03-06-08 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
so no word on the new EVA rebuild movies? sad :(

The licensing cost is likely astronomical. Is ADV up to it or maybe FUNimation. Who knows!

Originally Posted by fujishig
Aww, no media blasters sale?

It's should be coming soon. I was expecting this sale instead of ADV, but it works either way for me.

strawberryshortcake 03-06-08 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
I have a copy shipped to me. I will post pictures when I receive it.

Thumbs UP!!! I will definitely be waiting for pictures. :) :) :)

hey can anyone tell me about the Macross Remastered collection?

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

was wondering if it is worth picking up...considering it's apparently $250 retail?

Understand that it's only japanese audio with english subtitles. (It's never worth picking it up if it lacks a dub track. :) )

WTK 03-06-08 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by psychopuppet420
A heads up for those that got in on the Aquarion: Season 1 - Part 1 pre-order price mistake at Bestbuy.com awhile back just got my shipping notice.

My got shipped as well! :)

Originally Posted by anifan
By the way, anyone going to pick up Right Stuf's latest announcement....Maria sama....??

This was not a surprising license...at for me. I will be picking all three sets up!

WTK 03-07-08 06:42 AM

FYI, this went from sold out to backordered!

Best Buy / BestBuy.com

theguyoverthere 03-07-08 10:14 AM

Thumbs UP!!! I will definitely be waiting for pictures. :) :) :)

Understand that it's only japanese audio with english subtitles. (It's never worth picking it up if it lacks a dub track. :) )

I hope you're kidding on that "never worth picking up" part... The ADV-dubbed version of Macross is terrible (replaced sound effects, poor-quality JPN audio track, etc.) Even if there wasn't a price differential I'd still get the set from Robotech.com (which was originally produced by AnimEigo) than the more recent ADV set.

FangsFirst 03-07-08 10:26 AM

hey can anyone tell me about the Macross Remastered collection?

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

was wondering if it is worth picking up...considering it's apparently $250 retail?

Digging around myself, I found that this is the OOP Animeigo version, and the one currently in print, ADV's, uses this as a base for the visuals.

So, it's worth it--heavily remastered picture.
I picked it up, and it looks pretty damn great for 26 year old animation, and the audio's good, subtitles are quite good, and even the liner notes are pretty neat.

Of course, if you happen to want a dub, you'll need ADV's, as this is Japanese and English subtitles only.

McHawkson 03-07-08 10:45 AM

I happened to own Animeigo version of SFD Macross. It's pretty good series with English subtitles. It came with 9 DVDs regular cover with boxed - nothing too fancy.

Sorraffy 03-07-08 01:19 PM

If that was true, I would have been stuck with the mildly amusing and mostly boring "Cardcaptors" while missing out on it's hugely better half ... "Cardcaptor Sakura"

instapho 03-07-08 08:24 PM

Hey I was wondering if RightStuf had some kind of policy for items that go on sale within a week or so after you order them?

WTK 03-07-08 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by instapho
Hey I was wondering if RightStuf had some kind of policy for items that go on sale within a week or so after you order them?

Is it shipped? If it's not shipped, you can cancel the old order and place a new one. But if it's shipped, there isn't anything that you can really do.

Bezerker 03-07-08 10:47 PM

Not as good as the $20 off $50, but Buy.com's now running a $20 off $80 GCO promotion. Pretty much means that you can take 2 of the new Funi boxsets (Speed Grapher, Black Cat, Peach Girl are a few off the top of my head) for $60 shipped. Looks like its one of those 1st time use deals. Since my address was blocked from the $10 off $10, i doubt the $20 off $80 will work. I'll give it a try if i find something that I really need.

Knives 03-07-08 11:45 PM

ADV Version of MACROSS has english dub and more extras, plus the remastered video.

Macross is a legendary show there woundn't be ROBOTECH or anything else without it.

Corihor1 03-08-08 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Knives
ADV Version of MACROSS has english dub and more extras, plus the remastered video.

Macross is a legendary show there woundn't be ROBOTECH or anything else without it.

I'm not sure if this discussion belongs in a seperate thread, but here goes -

I only had a chance to watch a few episodes of Robotech growing up. I now have a huge love for anime, but have been hesitant to take on this behemoth. With the new Protoculture collection out as well as the previously linked Super Dimension Fortress set I just am looking for some opinions on what would be the best route to enjoy Robotech to the best of it's ability (also since I have no previous experience and don't need it to "be like it was".

Should I go the Super Dimension Route, or is the Protoculture the way to go?

orion1998_1 03-08-08 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by WTK

anyone know if other stores will have an exclusive?

WTK 03-08-08 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by orion1998_1
anyone know if other stores will have an exclusive?

I believe the TWEC stores were offering free autographed posters when you preordered Appleseed: Ex Machina. I'm not sure if that will be the same once the street date hits.

orion1998_1 03-08-08 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by WTK
I believe the TWEC stores were offering free autographed posters when you preordered Appleseed: Ex Machina. I'm not sure if that will be the same once the street date hits.

thanks, i'll try to stop by today. on the whole robotech, where should i start, i watched when i was younger and i would like to start at the beginning.

Drahksenzu 03-08-08 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by orion1998_1
thanks, i'll try to stop by today. on the whole robotech, where should i start, i watched when i was younger and i would like to start at the beginning.

Honestly your better off getting the original Macross for 40 bucks from http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93 . If you must have Dub wait for ADV to release a Thinpack of the set that is out now. While I own the Robotech collection partly for Nastalgia reasons. The original versions are far superior. Same goes for Southern Cross Calvary and Genesis Climber Mospeda, the second and third series in Robotech.

Probably a better price somewhere else but this is the best Robotech set you can and probably will ever be able to get.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1484792

McHawkson 03-08-08 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Corihor1
I'm not sure if this discussion belongs in a seperate thread, but here goes -

I only had a chance to watch a few episodes of Robotech growing up. I now have a huge love for anime, but have been hesitant to take on this behemoth. With the new Protoculture collection out as well as the previously linked Super Dimension Fortress set I just am looking for some opinions on what would be the best route to enjoy Robotech to the best of it's ability (also since I have no previous experience and don't need it to "be like it was".

Should I go the Super Dimension Route, or is the Protoculture the way to go?

SFD is restricted only to original Macross series. Protoculture has ALL "Robotech" series - Macross Saga, Masters, New Generation, and extras. Protoculture's Macross and SFD are pretty much same.

justbarelymovin 03-09-08 01:44 PM

Quick question... For anyone who had ordered Death Note Vol. 3 LE from anywhere, have you received yours yet? I ordered mine from DVD Planet in January, and still nothing. Starting to get paranoid.

WTK 03-09-08 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Quick question... For anyone who had ordered Death Note Vol. 3 LE from anywhere, have you received yours yet? I ordered mine from DVD Planet in January, and still nothing. Starting to get paranoid.

I pre-ordered my copy from TRSI. I received it sometime in mid-February.

justbarelymovin 03-09-08 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
I pre-ordered my copy from TRSI. I received it sometime in mid-February.

I guess I'm going to have to order elsewhere. I don't understand why they still have yet to receive their shipment...

WTK 03-09-08 06:00 PM

Any one have a picture of the inside packaging for Origin: Spirits of the Past?

I was surprised to see it available locally before street date. I was not impressed with the outer packaging. It was unusually thin for a 2 disc set. Thickness was essentially half the size of a normal plastic DVD case.

It seems cheaply made. I didn't buy it. Despite the extra features, I'm thinking about grabbing its first release.

Here you go. They are not the best taken pictures but you should get the gist of the packaging.

Admiral Ackbar 03-10-08 05:20 PM

I was in FYE today to pick up the last two volumes I needed for Fate/Stay. While chekcing out they had a 3 for $12 bin which was mostly crap. But they had a few goiod titles includign the Steamboy Directors Cut.