14.99 PV HD-DVD at Hollywood Video

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

14.99 PV HD-DVD at Hollywood Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the manager at my store is holding American Gangster for somebody. Yesterday an employee looked up how many copies are out and when they're due back. I go in today checking if either is turned in, ask the manager if it's behind the counter, and she basically told me I'm wasting my time looking which I thought was odd.
Old 02-25-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
If you can't, then just get an HDMI switch. The cheap manual ones are less than $20 and for about twice that you can get an automatic one.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...01&cp_id=10110
Thanks. I might have to look in to this...
Old 02-25-08, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by MadCow666
Mine told me that they were putting out American Gangster today and Beowulf tomorrow so i'm going back in the morning to hopefully pick up both with the B1G1 coupon...

As for today, the picking were slim or I should say that I wasn't really interested in what they had. They wouldn't honor the 2 for $20 but they did take the B1G1 coupon so I walked out with Bourne Ultimatum and HP: OotP for $16 and change. I couldn't be happier...
Brilliant. They would not honor the deal that lets you pay 10 per movie...but they'll honor the deal that lets you pay 7.50 per movie.

Guaranteed, these employees either graduated from public school, or will gradaute. i worry for my country
Old 02-25-08, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by akolang2
Brilliant. They would not honor the deal that lets you pay 10 per movie...but they'll honor the deal that lets you pay 7.50 per movie.

Guaranteed, these employees either graduated from public school, or will gradaute. i worry for my country
Or they are going to College at the same time they are working.

Next time capitalize the "I".
Old 02-25-08, 08:40 PM

I just spoke to the HV manager in Syracuse, NY. Tomorrow, they are finally putting their hd dvds on sale but only for 14.99. She was adamant that they would not go for two for $20. She also said she hadn't decided if she would honor the B1G1 coupons as they are only good for "previously viewed dvds", NOT "previously viewed hd dvds". Talk about splitting hairs!!! I'll call tomorrow and if they don't honor the coupons, to hell with it. I'm not paying $15 for "used". I think they'll be better deals down the road. That's a chance I'll have to take.
Old 02-25-08, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tomty57
I just spoke to the HV manager in Syracuse, NY. Tomorrow, they are finally putting their hd dvds on sale but only for 14.99. She was adamant that they would not go for two for $20. She also said she hadn't decided if she would honor the B1G1 coupons as they are only good for "previously viewed dvds", NOT "previously viewed hd dvds". Talk about splitting hairs!!! I'll call tomorrow and if they don't honor the coupons, to hell with it. I'm not paying $15 for "used". I think they'll be better deals down the road. That's a chance I'll have to take.
The coupon says "previously viewed MOVIE" not DVD or HD-DVD. I don't see how she can turn it down but obviously from all the posts about this it's an obvious YMMV. I used a BOGO coupon from online from the Entertainment book. Not only did they accept it but the computer charged me $13.49 plus tax for both movies, an additional 10% off.
Old 02-25-08, 08:56 PM

I posted over in the "The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread" but thought I'd mention it over here also, since it probable pretains to this thread more.

I ordered 100 HD-DVD cases with the logo on top and will only be needing about 40 of them. So I will have extras if anyone is interested.
I should hopefully have them by this weekend or early next week.

All my extras are accounted for.

Last edited by bubba9004; 02-26-08 at 10:41 PM. Reason: no longer have extras available
Old 02-25-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Black Snake Moan
The Host
Miami Vice (Don't ask, it was cheap)
Alpha Dog

$7.50 each. Had a $5 GC that's been in my wallet for several months, so it technically averaged out to about $6.25 per title. The B1G1 met a little resistance, so I think this is going to be a YMMV as time goes on. Biggest excitement is The Host. I've been wanting this and I basically got 3 movies free for paying around $25 for all of them.
Old 02-25-08, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by TexasDVDer
The coupon says "previously viewed MOVIE" not DVD or HD-DVD. I don't see how she can turn it down but obviously from all the posts about this it's an obvious YMMV. I used a BOGO coupon from online from the Entertainment book. Not only did they accept it but the computer charged me $13.49 plus tax for both movies, an additional 10% off.
It's so unfortunate that these stores can seem to just make up the rules as they go along. I've bought movies now at three stores in the past three days, and one gladly honored the BOGO, another one even TOLD customers about 2 for $20, but the store tonight would not honor either offer. I got some excuse that the coupon didn't apply to HD-DVDs but then he said something lame like "They both have to be $14.99 for this to work." Hmm. Well, they are! Oh well. I've been lucky enough to get original cases on five films and at least the original insert on the rest.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to get Beowulf as soon as they open. Who else is going to try the same and hope the employees haven't beaten you to it?
Old 02-25-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coryboyusa
It's so unfortunate that these stores can seem to just make up the rules as they go along. I've bought movies now at three stores in the past three days, and one gladly honored the BOGO, another one even TOLD customers about 2 for $20, but the store tonight would not honor either offer. I got some excuse that the coupon didn't apply to HD-DVDs but then he said something lame like "They both have to be $14.99 for this to work." Hmm. Well, they are! Oh well. I've been lucky enough to get original cases on five films and at least the original insert on the rest.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to get Beowulf as soon as they open. Who else is going to try the same and hope the employees haven't beaten you to it?
I already talked to some staff at the one near my work, they said that unless they get a memo from the company, they are marking beowulf as a rental and will not sell it to me...lol
Old 02-25-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What happens a lot in retail, is when you present a coupon, you're automatically considered a person who is trying to defraud them. It's unfortunate, but we have many people who try to pass fake coupons all the time. the employees then are reading every single word, looking at the print, looking at the movies, looking at the barcode...so, this is why the varying resistance.

Add to this the ones who just didn't get the memo altogether, and you have a combination for a wild and crazy evening at HV or any retail place.

And from my experience at a few stores so far, I can almost guarantee the employees won't be putting aside that many HD DVD titles, if any.

On a side note, I talked to a HV employee and he told me MANY renters would be getting Blu-ray and HD DVD discs and playing them in their regular DVD player. Apparently, they thought since they had an HDTV, they were fine.

Just goes to show how much great education our HD industry is putting out there. They advertise all the HD goodness, but show the consumer how to use it and don't mention the obvious mistakes an "uninformed" consumer could make.
Old 02-25-08, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Darn you for taking The Host, I was just there.

I ended up buying 10. For $5 a piece I couldn't resist.

Blood Diamond
The Matador
Payback
The Hitcher
16 Blocks
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Disturbia
Next
Mission Impossible 2
Aeon Flux

At $10 I likely would have walked out of there with nothing, but for $5 each, I almost bought Balls of Fury too.

How? I thought they're $14.99 with B1G1 coupon only? that makes $7.50 each.
Old 02-25-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He managed to use both offers. I wouldn't bet on this for anyone else. The best you can hope for is B1G1 from the flyer.
Old 02-25-08, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I already talked to some staff at the one near my work, they said that unless they get a memo from the company, they are marking beowulf as a rental and will not sell it to me...lol
That's funny, I work for Hollywood and there was the memo to sell all the HD DVDs which included something along the lines of selling all future shipments of HD movies. It said to not rent the new ones at all, just slap a PV sticker on and sell them. The memo also stated that it is good for the 2 for $20 offer, but not to promote it (I guess they think people will buy each one for 14.99 and think it's a great deal). Also, the B1G1 coupon in the Movie Companion does scan and works fine with HDs. I don't get why some stores are not allowing it as it obviously says B1G1 on any previously viewed movie. And finally, my store got 2 Beowulf HD DVDs, so I'm pretty sure that many other stores did as well...and they are supposed to be selling them. Hope that helps!

On a side note, did anybody pick up any of the Matrix movies, Batman Begins or The Kingdom in HD and would be willing to trade? There's a store near me that hasn't put their's out at all yet, but I can get them to. They have almost all the titles everyone has been listing. Also, I can probably go as far as getting Beowulf if someone wants as well. Just let me know ASAP.
Old 02-25-08, 10:28 PM

Gotta love HWV.

Hit five HWVs and was told Beowulf will be available tomorrow. And all future pre-ordered HD-DVDs will be marked as PV.

So Into The Wild, Bee Movie, and a few others...$14.99 each.

Cannot beat that deal.
Old 02-25-08, 10:29 PM

Sorry Julie...just scanned your comment.

Julie, where are you located? So. Cal, by any chance?
Old 02-25-08, 10:32 PM

Nope...New York.
Old 02-25-08, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Picked up Eastern Promises, Brave One, Mission Imp. 3 and Departed via two coupons for $30. The clerk did have trouble with the coupons, but it was because they were pulled from the newer books that (I believe) are supposed to go out tomorrow.
Old 02-25-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
He managed to use both offers. I wouldn't bet on this for anyone else. The best you can hope for is B1G1 from the flyer.
I was able to get several titles with both offers combined.
Old 02-25-08, 11:54 PM

Wow. What a great deal!

Thanks to the OP and everone else contributing to this thread.

I went to one local HV hoping to find a copy of the 5-disc Blade Runner set but no luck.

But I did pick up six other titles:

Mission Impossible 2
Mission Impossible 3
Superman Returns
The Mummy Returns
Bourne Ultimatum
Stardust

They all had $14.99 previously viewe stickers on them.

I picked up one of the flyers and asked the CSR if I could use the BOGO coupon on all six HD-DVDs. He said no problem as long as it was rung up as three separate two disc purchases. So those were all $7.50 each + tax.

I then called another local HV and asked if they had any copies of Blade Runner left. After a few minutes on hold, the CSR told me they did and I asked if he could hold one for me while I drove over. He said no problem and it was there when I arrived 10 minutes later. So a big thumbs up for a helpful CSR there.

I then found five more titles for another group of six:

Blade Runner 5 disc set
The Host
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I picked up another booklet with the coupon and asked if they could apply the BOGO coupon to all six purchases. This time the CSR wasn't sure but he consulted with a manager and got an OK as long as the purchases were rung up as three purchases. So that was another six HD-DVDs for $7.50 each + tax.
Old 02-26-08, 12:01 AM

Makes me miss living in a city that has HV. Did have to drive north a few hours and did get to one and picked up Zodiac, Transformers, 300, Elizabeth and Balls of Fury.

Was hoping to get Blade Runner or Brave One, but no luck. To bad I didn't have time to scan around the city to see if I would have more luck.
Old 02-26-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GenPion
I was able to get several titles with both offers combined.
That's nice, but you're in the minority. I'm just sayin' to others don't get your hopes up as a rule. If it happens, then all the way out HV's doors and into the parking lot. But if it doesn't, don't come back here and say, "It didn't work!111!!!"
Old 02-26-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The HV near my G/F in Atlanta was closing and had zero HD media. The one I got a chance to visit today in Maryville, TN didn't even have the HD DVDs for sale. They were still being rented, and the clerk I talked to didn't know what I was talking about.
Old 02-26-08, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The store near my work had a zodiac left, if it is still there tomorrow I can pick it up, also, the one that said they would be renting Beowulf, also said they were getting "Rain in the Mountains" never heard of it, but maybe you have...
Old 02-26-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually found a HV about 20min away from me that was selling their HD DVDs! I scored V for Vendetta and Bourne Supremacy for $15.89 out the door. She would not combine both the offers at all. There were quite a few discs but nothing that I wanted. Great deal

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.