Target DVD sales...TV Box sets...Full Screen Movies BEWARE

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Target DVD sales...TV Box sets...Full Screen Movies BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, I was mad...I only wanted happy feet as the cheapie title and it was friggin FS. yea, bump that. And knocked up was 10 bucks, but, wasn't the unrated or extended. I got it anyways, but, that kinda pisses me off too...even tho I'm sure it's only like 4 more mins of pot smoking LOL!
Old 11-24-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seinfeld season 8: $14.98 (Season 7 was $15.98)
Arrested Development season 3: $9.98
Caddyshack "20th anniversary" edition: $3.98

Quiet morning at the Minnetonka, MN. SuperTarget.
Old 11-24-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by docdoowop
Arrested Development season 3: $9.98
Caddyshack "20th anniversary" edition: $3.98

Quiet morning at the Minnetonka, MN. SuperTarget.
Getting laid off and then getting another job (at lower pay) caused me to wait for Christmas sales to pickup my TV DVD sets/misc DVDs at very low prices. I have also been picking up 4 for $20 used DVDs at Blockbuster.

My DVD collection has still increased by about 40 over the past 2 years at a much lower price tag.
Old 11-24-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
It was $5.98, and the 2-disk only comes in Widescreen
Mine rang up $3.98 and was in the section with all the other $3.98 movies.
Old 11-24-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by diggerbeast
yea, I was mad...I only wanted happy feet as the cheapie title and it was friggin FS. yea, bump that. And knocked up was 10 bucks, but, wasn't the unrated or extended. I got it anyways, but, that kinda pisses me off too...even tho I'm sure it's only like 4 more mins of pot smoking LOL!
I was going to get Happyfeet at Target to but saw they were only full screen. I just took my Target flyer to Walmart and picked up the widescreen version and got them to price match that to Target's ad. They couldn't tell by the at that it was only the ful screen. I usually try to price match the Black Friday DVD's at Walmart since I know most will be full screen at the other stores and i can get the widescreen matched at Walmart.
Old 11-24-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
My target was all full screen too....Departed and Blood Diamond were 2 I was hoping to find WS, but no luck. I think Batman Begins and the 300 set were the only two that weren't FS. Amazingly enough, I was not the only one groaning as I saw another soccer mom type notice the same thing and put back the two she had
Old 11-25-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally Posted by docdoowop
I picked up both seasons today. Season 7 rang up at $14.98 also ...even though the sign said $15.98.
Old 11-25-07, 10:22 PM

I remember last year's Black Friday sale, Target experimented with their new FS/WS bait and switch tactic when only the FS Batman Begins was actually on sale. I got a rude awakening at checkout when my WS copy rang up at full price (I cancelled that transaction) and complained bitterly about it here in this forum.

But nobody else seemed to mind very much, and I suspect that's one reason why Target felt secure forging ahead making most of their BF sale titles FS only.

I wonder if another motivation was the fear of attracting the wrong kind of customer. Remember that 2004 news expose about retailers branding customers as either angels or devils, the devils being the aggressive, savvy bargain hunters? Perhaps Target feels WS titles attracts too many "devils," and prefers to deal more with slow-witted, easily persuaded FS fans.
Old 11-25-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
To be fair, Target regularly eliminates one of the versions of a title once it's parred down to it's regular stock of items. And usually, from what i've seen, it's been the Widescreen version that's no longer stocked. For a big sale like this, where they had tons of copies available, it isn't much of a surprise to me to see only one available. That and Target caters to a more casual consumer compared to Best Buy and Circuit City.

I do remember actually seeing widescreen versions of Blood Diamond, but i'm not sure if they would have rung up on sale.
Old 11-25-07, 11:42 PM
HTN

Originally Posted by djskyler
I remember last year's Black Friday sale, Target experimented with their new FS/WS bait and switch tactic when only the FS Batman Begins was actually on sale. I got a rude awakening at checkout when my WS copy rang up at full price (I cancelled that transaction) and complained bitterly about it here in this forum.
You scared me for a minute there. I had to go back and re-check my Batman Begins DVD from last year's BF to make sure it's actually widescreen. Are you sure only the FS version was on sale only? The WS version i got ran up as $3.98.
Old 11-25-07, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by HTN
Are you sure only the FS version was on sale only? The WS version i got ran up as $3.98.
I remember very well, because I thought the full-price total for my WS was an error and hoped a manager would just override it to the sale price for me. Instead he treated me like a whiner who should be thankful that I could buy FS at that price. Perhaps the management of your Target wasn't so willing to fall in with the bait/switch agenda and just adjusted it ahead of time.
Old 11-26-07, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
It is on sale again for the same price...
Yeah, I didn't know it was until I got there, and Season 2 was sold out. I asked if they had any more and they said they didn't. They didn't mention anything about being able to get a raincheck so I figured I couldn't and it was probably just a Black Friday deal.