DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

What are your 'Black Friday' gameplans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Same here.

Does anybody ever go in the Wednesday before and hide something you want to make sure you can get on Friday?
Never have, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do I suppose. I was just at Target an hour ago and they had already moved everything into 'sale positions' -- I could tell from the endcaps what would be the Black Friday sale items.

One downside...while I was there looking at a display, an employee came along removing all of the sale tags from the Sunday-Wednesday sale. I stopped her and asked how I would know what was on sale now. She seemed taken back by my inquiry and mumbled something about checking the price on anything I was interested in... Seemed kind of strange to be getting things ready before the store closed on Wednesday. I have a friend who works at Circuit City who's going in an hour before the store opens to help 'set up.'
Old 11-21-07, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Five hookers and nine lines of coke!
Talk about Thanksgiving stuffing!
Old 11-21-07, 09:43 PM

i dont think i'll spend more than $60. i'll hit up best buy, circuit city, and target, in that order. not alot of great deals this year.
Old 11-21-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Stayin' home. Buying way too much crap online, while eating turkey and trimmins. The benefits of staying at home and finding deals online has its benefits.

Spoiler:
The referigerator is only around the corner! And the toilet is only around the other corner!
Old 11-21-07, 10:34 PM

Bought alot of stuff online. Staying home with cold pizza, beer and a hooker...
Old 11-21-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For int'l customers, sulk !
And of course enjoy snaps such as these

Old 11-21-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

Look at all of those happy faces!
Old 11-21-07, 10:51 PM

Snowmaker

I've been known to try to tuck some DVDs here and there ahead of time.

Personally I'm not sure where I'll go this Friday. I actually kind of like the craziness. I'm thinking about Wal-Mart for the $50 DVD player, but I'm also liking the $167 22" widescreen monitor that Target has (plus South Park season 10 for $14.99).

Other than that, I'm not too impressed with the DVD sales. I was hoping someone would have "Spider-man 3" on sale, but alas...

Speedy, always a pleasure to see you post on here.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-21-07, 11:06 PM

Going to Circuit City with a couple friends. We're going to try and be there by 5-6PM Thanksgiving Day. We're all buying TVs or laptops, so we want to make sure we get them.

I'm getting the 42" Sharp Aquos HDTV for 800$ there. Probably pick up Season 3-5 of Smallville there as well.

Then, off to Best Buy/Target, doesn't really matter. Picking up a couple of DVDs at both stores, maybe, just going to play it by ear.

Then heading home after eating breakfast, set up the new HDTV and sleeping till it's time for my LSU Tigers to crush Darren McFadden and the Arkansas Razorbacks...in HD...while eating Thanksgiving leftovers.

Then I'll probably head out again to hhgregg to try and get a Toshiba A3 for 150$.

Pretty busy day, but one of the best of the year.
Old 11-21-07, 11:07 PM

might even venture out to k-mart tomorrow to see what dvds are on sale.

as for friday, only best buy has some good dvd deals and a 500gb external hard drive i'm interested in. depending on what mood i'm in, i might brave going to target/cc/wal-mart/fye afterwards. nothing amazing on sale this year though... or at least it doesn't seem that way. no big ticket items i'm interested in. people were waiting outside best buy TODAY for the $199 laptop (that's what they said when i asked them. didnt really pay attention to computer stuff on the ad). kinda surprising. i can see waiting after thanksgiving dinner. but almost two days in advance?

i agree with a previous poster about the people-watching/crowds of black friday. never been in a situation with trampling or over-the-top craziness/fistfights. it's always been fun going shopping with my friends and checking out the deals. it's certainly an experience.
Old 11-21-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really haven't seen the black friday ads yet, so my game plans are unknown.

What is at Target that people are getting? I did see that Shoe Carnival had a $10 gift card to the first 100 people, and Shoe Carnival is next door to Target where I live. I could kill two birds with one stone...
Old 11-22-07, 02:07 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm staying in, I might go to Circuit City around noon to see if the Cds/DVDs on sale are still there. I'll try to buy them online for the Black Friday price first. The Best Buy by me would let people in then stop them so as not to go over the fire safety limit. Standing in line to check out is about a 2 hour process. No thanks.
Old 11-22-07, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Planning to be in Oxnard by 5 AM, not quite sure which store to hit first, but will probably hit at least 10 by noon.
Old 11-22-07, 02:26 AM

Well, since Best Buy has few DVDs on sale online already, that solves my problem of going to Best Buy. Now I just need to go to the mall, hitting up some purses, beauty products, jewlery stores, and Macy's for my sis and mom, then I will be done. Since I can get presents for my dad and older brother at ND bookstore. Hopefully the mall is not as crazy as Bert Buy (meaning, I do not have to stand in the cold for hours just to get in).
Old 11-22-07, 02:38 AM

I had planned to camp out at the store with the most appealing big ticket deal and then dart around picking up various bargains at the other usual stores.

Then I actually saw the ads and decided to lay in bed all day and occasionally scratch myself.
Old 11-22-07, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Five hookers and nine lines of coke!
ditto
Old 11-22-07, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For African-American Friday, if I'm up at 5am (like I am today), I'm going to go to Fry's and get a PS3 w/ 5 free blu-rays.

Then I'm heading over to Circuit City to pick up South Park seasons 8 & 9 for $18.99 each. Then over to Target to pick up season 10 for $14.98 and Call Of Duty 4 for $48.
Old 11-22-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will probably head to target and walmart after work tomorrow.
Old 11-22-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Leaving at 6:30 to grab some breakfast and heading to the mall. Not because anything I want is on sale but because I too enjoy people watching and walking around. Hope to be back home enjoying leftovers by 3pm.
Old 11-22-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth

Then I'm heading over to Circuit City to pick up South Park seasons 8 & 9 for $18.99 each. Then over to Target to pick up season 10 for $14.98 and Call Of Duty 4 for $48.
No Best Buy near you, eh?

I have a feeling Target will have ALL South Park seasons for $14.98. I remember last year they only advertised one season of 24 for $16.99, but ended up having them all at that price.
Old 11-22-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I avoid the early morning Black Friday "doorbuster" sales entirely and just go to the stores either on Friday afternoon or sometime on Saturday (most of these sales go through Saturday) for the rest of the "Black Friday" sales, when things have quieted down a lot.
Old 11-22-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
No Best Buy near you, eh?

I have a feeling Target will have ALL South Park seasons for $14.98. I remember last year they only advertised one season of 24 for $16.99, but ended up having them all at that price.
Actually, there's a Best Buy right across the street from Target. Are they having South Park on sale? I didn't notice. Also, their PS3 deal is Spider-man 3, Open Season, and an NBA game. Frys' PS3 deal is a blu-ray remote and 5 blu-ray movies (spidey, 300, etc...)

If I can avoid Circuit City, I certainly will! Last year, I showed up at 6am (hey, I couldn't sleep!) and tried to pick up South Park season 8 for $20. It was so disorganized and after waiting in line and not moving for what seemed to be an hour, I just got fed up and left.
Old 11-22-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by rider555
Stay in bed and dream.Later in the evening,I might to turn on the news to see if any fat women were trampled at Walmart.
Ha ha, sounds like a good one - I'm in!

Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that no matter the savings...it's not worth it.
Old 11-22-07, 11:17 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Actually, there's a Best Buy right across the street from Target. Are they having South Park on sale?
Yes, online they have them for 14.99 (however most are sold out now), I don't see any reason they shouldn't have it same price in-store.
Old 11-22-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pbro83
Yes, online they have them for 14.99 (however most are sold out now), I don't see any reason they shouldn't have it same price in-store.
Yeah, just got the paper and it will have it in the stores too. Cool... I guess I can go to Frys, then get everything else at Best Buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.