Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

HD-A3 HD DVD Player and 10 Movies - $199

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
It's now down to $199.98. I got in for the 3 free titles and A3 for $159.98. If the price drops down to that ballpark, I'll contact Amazon to see if I can get the additional 2 free movies.
I did that and got a very surprising email back from them today where they told me to make an order for the 2 HD-DVDs I would like and they would refund me the money. I, initially bought the A3 on Black Friday for $159.98 with 10 free movies and with 12 movies that now makes a very good deal and even better deal
Old 12-08-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's an excerpt from the reply I got by the way -

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

It appears that your order did not meet all of the qualifications
specified for this promotional offer. However, in appreciation of
your valuable business to Amazon.com, we have decided to waive the
restriction and apply the promotion to your order.

Due to the circumstances surrounding your order, I have made a one-
time exception to our standard policy.I request you to place a order
for the two DVD's and write back us so that we will wavie the cost
or refund for the DVD.

Please note that you have to place order for the DVD's which comes
under the promotion.

For your reference here is the link to see the DVD's offered with
item "Toshiba HD-A3 720p/1080i HD DVD Player".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...ink_6032562_1?
ie=UTF8&docId=1000172611&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-
promo&pf_rd_r=1QZJX933H7H7N0WTCASZ&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=338653801&pf_r
d_i=B000U62N1S.
Old 12-08-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It doesn't seem they're doing the 12 free anymore. I sent an email anyways. I had already thought about doing it but sotra's good fortune got my to fully do it. I got a very generic form letter back but it still told me to purchase the free item and they would refund it.

Despite them using the singular, I purchased two and will see if they follow through. This is a wonderful deal that keeps on getting better and better.
Old 12-08-07, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sotra
Here's an excerpt from the reply I got by the way -

It appears that your order did not meet all of the qualifications
specified for this promotional offer. However, in appreciation of
your valuable business to Amazon.com, we have decided to waive the
restriction and apply the promotion to your order.

Due to the circumstances surrounding your order, I have made a one-
time exception to our standard policy.I request you to place a order
for the two DVD's and write back us so that we will wavie the cost
or refund for the DVD.

Please note that you have to place order for the DVD's which comes
under the promotion.

For your reference here is the link to see the DVD's offered with
item "Toshiba HD-A3 720p/1080i HD DVD Player".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...ink_6032562_1?
ie=UTF8&docId=1000172611&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-
promo&pf_rd_r=1QZJX933H7H7N0WTCASZ&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=338653801&pf_r
d_i=B000U62N1S.
I just now emailed them and got the same email back. So I ordered two and we will see if they come through.
Old 12-08-07, 04:50 PM

They gave me two for $3.97. The 3.97 is shipping, but I actually got a movie that wasn't even on the list.
Dawn of the dead Hd-dvd
Anchorman Hd-dvd
Old 12-08-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

Which reason did you guys choose from the drop down box? I chose "General Inquiry" and wrote a very polite(aka kiss-ass) email asking for the 2 additional titles. I just got a reply and was DENIED. I would like to try one more time, but I need to know which email address to use for best chance. Thanks.
Old 12-08-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The A3 is sold out now, too. The A-30 dropped another $10 to $249 but only 10 free now. I almost bought it this morning, too...
Old 12-08-07, 06:51 PM

I sent them an email after placing the order for the new HD-DVDs (per their instructions) and have now received an email back saying that it's not possible.

I've sent another email asking for clarification.
Old 12-08-07, 07:02 PM

i included the original email they sent me and told them that I would like my price adjustment now. They sent me this:

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com with your concern.
I do understand your frustration in this regard. As promised by one of our colleague, I have reduced the total order cost.
Old 12-08-07, 09:56 PM

larry47591-
Please continue to let us know how your transactions with Amazon turn out. I also sent them an e-mail about the difference in free HD-DVD's and like you received an e-mail about placing an order and that they would credit me for 2 dvd's. however I did not learn they were only crediting me two HD-DVD's until after I had chosen three (which is the current offer,) placed my order and cut and pasted their orginal e-mail, per their instructions. I attempted to delete my third choice but could not on account of the order being processed (I just made the order not 5 minutes before.) Anyway I'm very curious on whether they will indeed credit our accounts the full prices of the selected dvd's (I don't mind paying for the shipping) and how they will address my extra DVD. Good Luck

Last edited by wakwak007; 12-08-07 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 12:17 AM

My A30 shipped today, total = $160(after $10 refund and cancellation of 5 free movies trick). Happy times.
Old 12-09-07, 01:13 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
My A30 shipped today, total = $160(after $10 refund and cancellation of 5 free movies trick). Happy times.
How did you get the HD-A30 for only $160 whereas I thought that the HD-A3 was the one for $160 during the previous price around Black Friday weekend? When did you order ? What was the "$10 refund and cancellation of 5 free movies trick"?
Old 12-09-07, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by bcweaver
How did you get the HD-A30 for only $160 whereas I thought that the HD-A3 was the one for $160 during the previous price around Black Friday weekend? When did you order ? What was the "$10 refund and cancellation of 5 free movies trick"?
Last nite for $260 - picked 5 free movies, cancelled them and got $90 off player, price dropped today and got refund.

Too late to do it now i think.
Old 12-09-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I made an order for the 2 free extra movies (cose Hot Fuzz and Children of Men) and emailed them back and got this reply -

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues that you have
encountered with your order.

I've reviewed our previous correspondence and your account.

As my colleague previously mentioned, I've requested a refund of
$55.90 to the payment method you used for your original purchase.

This refund should go through within 2 to 3 business days. You
should see it as a credit on your next statement.

You can also view completed refunds by clicking the "Your Account"
link at the top of our web site, then clicking "Go!" next to "open
and recently shipped orders." Completed refunds are displayed at the
bottom of an individual order's summary page.

I hope this information is helpful.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused in
this regard.

Thank you for your understanding. We appreciate your business and
hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com.

-----

So, I'm very happy with the A3 and 12 HD-DVDs for $159.98
Old 12-09-07, 01:50 PM

I just got the same email from them as well, which is wonderful news.

I actually wasn't expecting this to go through and so was ready to hang my hat up. Reminds me of 1999 when it was so easy and wonderful and inexpensive to jump into the then burgeoning DVD format.
Old 12-10-07, 12:50 AM

I've been trying out my new HD-A3 player this weekend. I knew that HD would look better than standard, but I was also concerned as to whether the HD-A3 could upconvert as well as my current Oppo player. Now I can say pretty definitely that it upconverts standard DVDs better than my Oppo DV-981HD. It's a very close call. But if I get pretty close to the screen, and compare the same paused scene of the same movie while switching back and forth (using King Kong 2005 and Superman 1978 since I have multiple standard DVD copies of those), I've been able to see parts of shots that show a little more detail on the HD-A3 than they do on the Oppo. The same details are either invisible or more faded out on the Oppo. This is good news for me since I should be able to sell my Oppo on eBay for about $150 and have made the switch to an HD-DVD player for almost nothing. Since I got in on the HD-A3 while it was $160, it's like trading in my Oppo for a better upconverter, and getting an HD-DVD player and 10 free HD-DVDs thrown in for a few bucks more.
Old 12-10-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JediJones
This is good news for me since I should be able to sell my Oppo on eBay for about $150 and have made the switch to an HD-DVD player for almost nothing.
I've thought of doing the same thing but I have a lot of Region 2 DVD's that I could not play on the Toshiba (too bad it's only region-free on the HD-DVD's). I also have a lot of DIVX files of old obscure TV shows that I cannot get DVD's for and, of course, the Oppo has to stay for those.

I also compared some discs and noticed that the Oppo seems to do a better job with non-anamorphic dvd's (like Spongebob and such). There seemed to be more artifacting on the Toshiba upconvert and 4:3 expanded screen on my Hitachi HDTV.
Old 12-10-07, 07:07 AM

I took advantage of this deal yesterday. I was able to get the $160 pricematch for the A3 as well as the "12" free HD-DVDS instead of the "10". I picked my extra 2 from the entire HD-DVD catalogue at Amazon and not just the elligible list. All of this was done with two emails. The first email I politely asked for the price adjustment and the extra 2 HD-DVDS. The second email I sent the order # for the two extra HD-DVDs. Great deal!
Old 12-10-07, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Indio
I took advantage of this deal yesterday. I was able to get the $160 pricematch for the A3 as well as the "12" free HD-DVDS instead of the "10". I picked my extra 2 from the entire HD-DVD catalogue at Amazon and not just the elligible list. All of this was done with two emails. The first email I politely asked for the price adjustment and the extra 2 HD-DVDS. The second email I sent the order # for the two extra HD-DVDs. Great deal!
Did you get in on the initial $160 pricing a couple weeks ago or just asked for it knowing it was $160 at one time? I can't see how you did it if you ordered last night at $199, asked for the $160 price then the 2 extra HDDVDs. If you did, I'd like to know how.

I pulled the trigger last night trying to do the cancelling thing and they shipped the movies first this morning. The A3 still is waiting to be shipped. No big deal, just thought I'd give it a try. Still a good deal. I have an unopened D3 from Costco waiting to see if I could beat the $160 plus tax pricing. ~$27 for the 3 extra movies is good enough but hopefully, there will be another deal that beats it in the next couple weeks. I'll be watching....
Old 12-10-07, 02:32 PM

I took advantage of this deal yesterday. I was able to get the $160 pricematch for the A3 as well as the "12" free HD-DVDS instead of the "10". I picked my extra 2 from the entire HD-DVD catalogue at Amazon and not just the elligible list.
On what basis did you ask for 2 extra DVDs?
Old 12-10-07, 04:03 PM

I got King Kong and Breakfast Club as my extra two freebies.

I would like to know too if they were able to price match from a price that was before the date they bought it. I bought mine for 179.99 and they will PM to 177.01 (I know big deal) when it ships. They can't pricematch until it ships, but I might try later to PM to the 159.99 price if someone gets this to work.
Old 12-10-07, 06:06 PM

In response to a few posts above:

I did not cancel anything from my order. I did it exactly as described in my first post. I placed a brand new order for the A3 for the first time yesterday (BTW it shipped today) with the three free HD-DVDs chosen(also shipped) with the order (and two in the box as you all know).

After placing the order, I sent one email to customer service through the site. I simply stated that A) the price had been lower within 30 days and B) that the offer was "12" for free instead of "10" for free within 30 days. About 6 hours later I received a reply stating they would honor the $160 price and credit my card. In addition I was given a link in the email to the PDF rebate offer and told I could choose two additional titles from that list. I chose two titles NOT on that list and wrote back to customer service stating that I made my selection(I included the original email in my reply cut and pasted).

I received another email stating "As promised, I have waived the complete cost for this order". It was really that simple for me!

I suppose it all depends on what rep you get and how you ask for the discount/extra HD-DVDs. Obviously after reading this thread this situation is a YMMV type of deal. I couldn't be more happy with it.
Old 12-11-07, 01:44 AM
Cool New Member

I didn't think about trying to get the additional 2 free DVDs when I initially posted that I noticed the deal for 12 free HD DVDs instead...until I checked back on this forum and saw what others of you did...so thanks to all who post on this forum.

First, I called a representative to ask for the deal to obtain the additional 2 free HD DVDs, but got denied by them and 2 supervisors. I politely appreciated their help regardless. However, the representative suggested emailing my inquiry as well, which I did email them about the matter...of which I cut/pasted the email responses from Amazon.com that some included in this thread...(that mention to place an order for the additional HD DVDs to be waived). Then I got a reply to just do the same! So, that's what worked for me.

I placed an order for The Bourne Ultimatum and We are Marshall and emailed the order number as requested to get the cost waived :-)

Last edited by bcweaver; 12-11-07 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-11-07, 10:47 AM

In response to a few posts above:

I did not cancel anything from my order. I did it exactly as described in my first post. I placed a brand new order for the A3 for the first time yesterday (BTW it shipped today) with the three free HD-DVDs chosen(also shipped) with the order (and two in the box as you all know).

After placing the order, I sent one email to customer service through the site. I simply stated that A) the price had been lower within 30 days and B) that the offer was "12" for free instead of "10" for free within 30 days. About 6 hours later I received a reply stating they would honor the $160 price and credit my card. In addition I was given a link in the email to the PDF rebate offer and told I could choose two additional titles from that list. I chose two titles NOT on that list and wrote back to customer service stating that I made my selection(I included the original email in my reply cut and pasted).
Nice! I'm going to try that method now. *crossing fingers*

Update 515pm PST: no luck on my end, got denied. Not surprising though. Was worth the try.

Last edited by Bob330i; 12-11-07 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 09:08 AM
Cool New Member

Just received notice that my order for the additional 2 free HD DVDs that I ordered will be refunded in full!

The additional two I ordered:

The Bourne Ultimatum
We Are Marshall

Toshiba HD-A3 DVD Player + 12 HD DVDs = "An absolutely GREAT DEAL at $160"

I wasn't even considering the upgrade to HD DVD, but I couldn't resist.

Again, thanks for all who posted in this thread ;-)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.