Carnivale:The Complete First & Second Seasons $19.99 Each

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1387029
Old 11-04-07, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely great price!
Old 11-04-07, 11:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I would buy it if there is a better conclusion.
Hate HBO for short changing the fans.
Old 11-05-07, 12:29 AM

Does anyone know how long this sale will be going on for?
Old 11-05-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks OP! Absolutely great deal and I jumped on it!
Old 11-05-07, 09:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Usually I'd jump on this, as I tend to love all the HBO series. However, I'll think I'll wait until (if) the series is ever wrapped up or continued, as it looks like there is no conclusion whatsoever.

Besides, I still need to finish watching Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and dozens of other season/series sets.
Old 11-05-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Usually I'd jump on this, as I tend to love all the HBO series. However, I'll think I'll wait until (if) the series is ever wrapped up or continued, as it looks like there is no conclusion whatsoever.
Trevor, I've been hoping for the same thing for years now (as I watched this religiously on HBO while it aired). Unfortunately, I don't think they'll ever be anything more from Carnivale. At this price, it's still an Incredible show, for an unbelievable price. I highly recommend picking it up, as waiting for it to wrap up or continue is most likely a pipe dream...

FWIW, I've been waiting for a good price, as I've already seen all of the episodes. At this price though, I had to jump. Can't wait to rewatch and check out all the extras...
Old 11-05-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....61446&t=419985 - Carnivale Post from a few years ago.
Old 11-05-07, 10:12 AM

Good points Wildman, and I may take the plunge.

I'm trying to keep my price point per season at $10 or less, as there have been so many TV sets at $5 lately. But I know that HBO sets will likely never get below $20 per season.

And I'm also trying to buy less and watch more. I have over 100 unwatched TV seasons in my collection. Realistically, I could stop buying today and never "catch up". So I'm trying to limit my buying to absolute must own titles, until I sell or watch more of what I own. The recent Horror Challenge has got me in a watch mode, hopefully I'll stay in that mode and watch more than I buy every month.

Thanks for letting me think out loud, I know that these ramblings are fairly worthless to the rest of you. Carnivale is a great series, and this is perhaps the best price we'll ever see.
Old 11-05-07, 11:19 AM

Picked up S2 on Sunday. Excellent bargain, now I can see how the first arc turned out - pity that the show didnt survive longer. It was really a great show.
Old 11-05-07, 12:21 PM

Good points Wildman, and I may take the plunge.

I'm trying to keep my price point per season at $10 or less, as there have been so many TV sets at $5 lately. But I know that HBO sets will likely never get below $20 per season.

And I'm also trying to buy less and watch more. I have over 100 unwatched TV seasons in my collection. Realistically, I could stop buying today and never "catch up". So I'm trying to limit my buying to absolute must own titles, until I sell or watch more of what I own. The recent Horror Challenge has got me in a watch mode, hopefully I'll stay in that mode and watch more than I buy every month.

Thanks for letting me think out loud, I know that these ramblings are fairly worthless to the rest of you. Carnivale is a great series, and this is perhaps the best price we'll ever see.
what TV sets have you seen at $5?? my price point is between $10-$20 depending on how much I like the show, but i'm in the same boat as you as far as the backlog =o\ Won't stop me from continuing to buy though, lol.
Old 11-05-07, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JorgeC
what TV sets have you seen at $5??
At Best Buy over the summer we were getting all the Angels, Buffys, Dark Angel, Pretenders, King of the Hill, and several more for $5 each. Also a bunch for $10 each like The Wire and The Shield, which may have been $5. A few were even free, like The Simple Lifes.

Also the Target "sale" of a year ago.
Old 11-05-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At Best Buy over the summer we were getting all the Angels, Buffys, Dark Angel, Pretenders, King of the Hill, and several more for $5 each. Also a bunch for $10 each like The Wire and The Shield, which may have been $5. A few were even free, like The Simple Lifes.

Don't forget that big Amazon "sale".

Of course, some may argue that none of these were legitimate sales.
Old 11-05-07, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Of course, some may argue that none of these were legitimate sales.
Well, the fox titles at BB were legitimate if you had the actual coupon I imagine. People using copies were a bit shadier.

I used a couple copies I admit, but then I lucked out and one of my BBs had piles of the coupons sitting on the front display table.

I ended up buying like 30 different season sets for either $5 or free.
Old 11-05-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Also a bunch for $10 each like The Wire and The Shield, which may have been $5.
The Wire wasn't involved, but you're right about The Shield. $10 a season was an awesome deal for that.
Old 11-05-07, 02:40 PM

So are we thinking this sale will go on all week?
Old 11-05-07, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
So are we thinking this sale will go on all week?
Historically, yes. I think you're pretty safe. But if you're on the fence I'd recommend buying it/them and returning later if need be. They are out of stock (or less than 4) at all my local BBs already.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The Wire wasn't involved, but you're right about The Shield. $10 a season was an awesome deal for that.
I did get at least one season of The Wire for $10, but now that you make me think about it, I think it was a random sale at possibly just one BB. Rare, and maybe it was a shelf tag mistake, but it did ring up as $10 if I recall.
Old 11-05-07, 03:17 PM

At $20 a season it's a steal. Great show, and great DVD packaging. It is unfortunate that the series was stopped after just two seasons, but it seems like ever good show is killed before its time, or drawn out far too long. Are there any exceptions?
Old 11-05-07, 04:01 PM
Zbu

Already ordered and are waiting for in-store pickup for me. $20 is my breaking point.

Now, if Deadwood and Rome could get down that far...
Old 11-05-07, 04:19 PM

Bought this series as a blind buy and so far every blind buy I have purchased has been outstanding if its from HBO, hope this continues the trend. Didnt think I would like Deadwood but was so suprised at how brilliant that show is...better than The Sopranos IMHO. Of my top 5 greatest drama series of all time, 4 are from HBO(The Wire, Deadwood, Six Feet Under and The Sopranos)..only Lost cracks the top 5. We can be nostalgic about great dramas in the 60's and 70's but the reality is that the best television is being made during the last 10 years for dramas. Comedies is another story.
Old 11-05-07, 04:33 PM

Good list Brock, but Homicide and Oz should be up there as well.
Old 11-05-07, 04:49 PM

aaaahhhh. i remember that sale, $14.99 a piece for those. Unfortunately wasn't on this board at the time so I didn't know about the extra coupon. Well, one more reason I love this board.

On the topic of coupons, I don't see any issue using copies of coupons unless they are issued specifically to a person (like a Reward Zone certificate).
Old 11-05-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks OP! Picked up the last Season 1 and the last Season 2 at Pentagon City BB. I found the last season 1 hidden behind some Deadwood sets
Old 11-05-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
I did get at least one season of The Wire for $10, but now that you make me think about it, I think it was a random sale at possibly just one BB. Rare, and maybe it was a shelf tag mistake, but it did ring up as $10 if I recall.
In that case I'm jealous! I got S1 for $25 at BB earlier this year, looking for the others at some point.

As for Carnivale, what's the lowdown on this? If I like other HBO shows, will I like this, or is it hard to say, etc?
Old 11-05-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the fox titles at BB were legitimate if you had the actual coupon I imagine. People using copies were a bit shadier.
Wrong.

The coupon clearly says "Discount taken at register off regular price."

The fact that it applied to discounted prices was a screwup that Best Buy never fixed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.