Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Good places for DVDs, scripts, etc. in NYC ??

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks in advance for the help...

Last edited by Unspeaked; 09-16-08 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-30-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy most of my DVDs online when the big sales occur or wait for a special bargain to appear at this thread. Then there are the weekly sales at BestBuy, etc. When it comes to the DVDs on the street, forget it unless if they're the used ones but those are overpriced at $5 each disc for widely distributed titles. The 14th Street area of Union Square is a mess with tons of licensed and some unlicensed peddlers selling a lot of "craft" items. Try some of the thrift stores maybe or used book stores (Housing Works on Crosby St. among others) as they get DVDs and some rare items donated although they aren't necessarily cheap.
Old 08-30-07, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen those guys selling dvds on the street on 14th across from union square, but this was a few months ago. Maybe go check out Kim's on St. Marks. They have some unique stuff, and since they got busted a while ago, don't really sell bootlegs.
Old 08-30-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

there's always a guy on fulton (and broadway) in the financial district selling dvds.

for scripts, know that they're not really real, but still... go around nyu tisch which is broadway and 7th. there are typically a few guys out there selling scripts.
Old 08-30-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, I'll give a big second to stopping off at Kim's. Their selection is terrific-- lotsa indie and foreign, and plenty of import DVDs if you have a multi-region player. And their book section is pretty great as well for film books and scripts.

Also visit the Strand at 12th & Broadway, just off Union Square. Their film section is unbelievable-- lots of film books, plenty of published screenplays, super cheap.

As far as street corner scripts go, I almost always see a vendor somewhere near the Museum of Modern Art on 53rd between 5th and 6th Ave.

I've never really found a good street vendor for new DVDs, but it's pretty easy to find folks selling bootleg DVDs of new theatrical and DVD releases off of a blanket in the subway. You can often find a vendor in the tunnel between the Times Square station and the 42nd St-Bryant Park orange train station.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
J and R Music World , Brooklyn Bridge subway stop in lower Manhattan . Financial District, has a big selection of DVDs and sometimes good prices.
Old 09-01-07, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Samuel French
Old 09-02-07, 12:44 PM

When I lived in NY a year ago, I was in Kim's on St. Marks almost everyday. Not only do the have a brialliant selection of indies, imports and all, but their 3rd floor rental spot selection is mind blowing! Its all organized by country and then by director. Its a beautiful thing...