DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Fox $10 Off @ Best Buy Works On The Simpsons & Arrested Development!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/506480-fox-%2410-off-%40-best-buy-works-simpsons-arrested-development.html)

nlyonssmith 07-18-07 01:36 PM

Please post after you try to use it for all three seasons of AD. I myself will be trying 4:30pm ish PDT.

bluetoast 07-18-07 02:28 PM

Okay, where can I get the 'original' coupon? I heard that it was in a sample DVD available at the Home Theater section. The idiotic manager said that it wasn't a Best Buy coupon, despite both the Best Buy logo on the cover and the possessive pronoun used in the wording of the coupon. Also said that they couldn't accept a photocopy, which it technically wasn't, but I guess that's a legitimate reason.

Even though they didn't notice, I was trying to use it on Batman: TAS, so maybe that's bad on my part. Ah well...

excom101 07-18-07 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Okay, where can I get the 'original' coupon? I heard that it was in a sample DVD available at the Home Theater section.

It is.

The idiotic manager said that it wasn't a Best Buy coupon, despite both the Best Buy logo on the cover and the possessive pronoun used in the wording of the coupon.
It's not, technically. The top of the coupon clearly says "Manufacturer's Coupon," which should mean that the money's coming out of Fox's pocket rather than Best Buy's.

This also means that they have reason to be sticklers about the coupon... Fox can refuse to reimburse Best Buy for coupons that they accept that violate the terms-- which are probably also the terms of whatever agreement Best Buy has with Fox.

Gobear 07-18-07 02:52 PM

Well it went on for quite a few days a month ago in Northern VA. I got a lot of different sets from 3 different Best Buys in that area.

Has anyone tried Pentagon City?

I suspect the NoVa Best Buys have caught wise to our shenanigans. I bought several box sets during the last coupon + sale price glitch, but I haven't tried this time. I still haven't watched what I bought during the last go-round, so I have no real need to add to my unwatched DVD pile right now.

Besides, if this Christmas is anything like last year, sales and cheap DVDs will be thick on the ground.

bluetoast 07-18-07 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Has anyone tried Pentagon City?

My story about the idiotic manager was from Pentagon City. That place has virtually nobody on the sales floor and it took forever to get service. I've been going there less and less since the Potomac Yards one popped up.

bluetoast 07-18-07 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by excom101
It is.

Are they still available? The Home Theater guy had no idea what I was talking about.

It's not, technically. The top of the coupon clearly says "Manufacturer's Coupon," which should mean that the money's coming out of Fox's pocket rather than Best Buy's.

My mistake then. Looks like somebody already struck that Best Buy... >_>

bwsmom 07-18-07 05:15 PM

CONFIRMED STILL WORKING AS OF 7/18!! Went to BB in Gresham this afternoon as noted above. Got to the checkout, the girl manually entered the coupon because it wouldn't scan, then scanned the dvd, which registered at $14.99. When she hit sub-total, however, it dropped, which troubled her. I told her that the shelf had shown $14.99 for S1 & S2, but nothing re S3 (which was the truth!) She went to another register and price scanned it, and it showed up at $14.99. She said, "Well, Seasons Three is showing up at $14.99 as well, so I guess you're getting it for $4.99!" Cheerful as could be. Woot! :rock2:

Havok83 07-18-07 06:15 PM

I picked up all sets of AD when they were on sale last month. Spent 30 bucks pre-tax. If only I waited I could have got this deal but the one last month was too good to pass up

smackattack 07-18-07 10:33 PM

picked up season 2 and 3 at NO-buy in fullerton. They were out of season 1. I was truely shocked. I did get shot down on the Die hard set, even though it took 4 people to shot me down with a NO.
Still, i got a half victory at the fullerton No-Buy. Its like christmas in july

Spez 07-19-07 08:00 AM

I picked up Seasons 3-9 of The X-Files yesterday evening at around 6-6:30 PM. The coupons scanned fine. I bought Seasons 3-6 first and the cashier commented on how good of a deal it was. I said that I'd have to come back for more. So I did. I went on the same line, but the other cashier called me over. The cashier there shrugged and scanned the coupon. As I was finishing the transaction another employee took the coupons and looked like they were going to show them to the manager as she had picked them up and was feeling them in her hand to sort of see if they were fake or something. This was at the Scarsdale, NY store and I printed the coupons out on glossy paper.

excom101 07-19-07 09:10 AM

Are they still available? The Home Theater guy had no idea what I was talking about.

I found a pile... but I'm pretty sure they're things that they are supposed to give people when they set up their HDTV in-home. It appeared that my Best Buy was using them as demo discs on their in-store TV, however. Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head what the outside of the DVD case said. If I make it to Best Buy again soon, I'll let you know.

Mikael79 07-19-07 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by smackattack
picked up season 2 and 3 at NO-buy in fullerton. They were out of season 1. I was truely shocked. I did get shot down on the Die hard set, even though it took 4 people to shot me down with a NO.
Still, i got a half victory at the fullerton No-Buy. Its like christmas in july

I sense a touch of hositility toward Best Buy in your post. :)

Spez 07-19-07 09:35 AM

I found a pile... but I'm pretty sure they're things that they are supposed to give people when they set up their HDTV in-home. It appeared that my Best Buy was using them as demo discs on their in-store TV, however. Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head what the outside of the DVD case said. If I make it to Best Buy again soon, I'll let you know.

More details of that disc can be found here.

excom101 07-19-07 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spez
More details of that disc can be found here.

Thanks. That is, in fact, it.

head dvd nut 07-19-07 11:41 AM

I went yesterday afternoon at 5:30. SUCCESS!!! Picked up season 7 of Simpsons. Cashier took the coupon- reads it closely, and I'm thinking she's going to shoot me down saying that is only good on regular prices. But, she scans it, the register accepted it and she asks me where I got the coupon. I told her about the home theater disc demo and she said that is a really good deal!

All in all, both coupon deals included, I have used a total of 7 coupons and have not been denied yet(knocks on wood).

berserker37 07-19-07 01:32 PM

Worked yesterday at about 5:00 in Batavia, IL. I only brought in 2 copies, and got AD 1 and 2. Cashier spent a little time looking at it and I thought she was going to deny it, but then she went ahead and scanned it without a word.

Wish I would have had the cajones to bring in all 4 coupons that I printed out, but hopefully when I return today or tomorrow they will still work.

Awesome deal! Gotta love paying $5.32 for something that has a $32.99 original price tag on it!

dollfins1 07-19-07 05:25 PM

picked up season 1 - 9 of x-files today (in one shot). greatest deal ever! i love fox and best buy. :)

chard31 07-19-07 09:56 PM

Bought 3 of "AD" season 1 and 1 of "AD" season 3 {they were out of season 2} with no problem at all...

rampageric77 07-19-07 10:55 PM

Well today I decided why not try these coupons for the first times. I copied the coupon into Word and then fit 3 on the page, found my semi-gloss paper and hit print.

Only printed 6 coupons but then noticed that it was hard to read the font and I cut off the bottom one. Well I showed up at the BB in Brookfield and found AD 1,2 and 3 and just walked around until the managers left the cash register area (or so I thought.) I walk up and hand the cashier the coupons and dvds and go can you ring them up separate so these work and she goes I can put them all on one. So she starts telling me what a good show it is and scans everything even my coupon that was missing half the numbers below the barcode. She even read them and didn't catch no doubles or sale price. Then the little coupon screen pops up and she goes "HOLY!! whoa thats one great deal, thats under $5 a season and I just smiled." Back to me thinking the managers left, her name tag said manager, I was in utter shock I didn't get shot down.

On my way home I also stopped at BB in Greenfield. No where near as eventful, got a young cashier who scanned my 3 coupons and 3 seasons of AD automatically. Picked up the second set for a gift for my dad.

JB7 07-20-07 06:59 AM

rampageric77- are you in Wisconsin?

Michael Corvin 07-20-07 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rampageric77
Well today I decided why not try these coupons for the first times. I copied the coupon into Word and then fit 3 on the page, found my semi-gloss paper and hit print.

Only printed 6 coupons but then noticed that it was hard to read the font and I cut off the bottom one. Well I showed up at the BB in Brookfield and found AD 1,2 and 3 and just walked around until the managers left the cash register area (or so I thought.) I walk up and hand the cashier the coupons and dvds and go can you ring them up separate so these work and she goes I can put them all on one. So she starts telling me what a good show it is and scans everything even my coupon that was missing half the numbers below the barcode. She even read them and didn't catch no doubles or sale price. Then the little coupon screen pops up and she goes "HOLY!! whoa thats one great deal, thats under $5 a season and I just smiled." Back to me thinking the managers left, her name tag said manager, I was in utter shock I didn't get shot down.

yep. There are almost as many clueless managers out there as employees.

rampageric77 07-20-07 09:35 AM

yeah I am JB7

DonTHX1378 07-20-07 10:47 AM

Heads up guys. Had a friend that went into the Fresno store last night to get the AD sets like I did. He went up with the coupons, got rang up, and when the screen showed $10 off for each set the casher started to tell him "Oh I don't think I can do this, I'm going to get into trouble." He asked "Why are you going to get into trouble?", and she stated "Because these are $32 sets that your getting for $4.99, were going to lose a lot of money and I'm going to get into trouble". He told her the sets were on sale and that it was a coupon from Fox but she wouldn't belive him, said she had to get a manager over there because if she went through with it, she was going to get into trouble. So when the manager came over and saw the coupons, he told him he needed to leave the store, that they were kicking people out that had the coupons because they were tring to scam Best Buy with them. My friend said he had this look of shock and told them that if there was a problem why was the coupon still scaning, and why wasn't there a sign up stating that the coupon couldn't be used. The manager said that he needed to leave because he was tring to cause problems and scam Best Buy along with many others with this coupon. He said he started to laugh because they had many sets of AD and X-Files left over, and told them there must be just a ton of people scaming them and losing a ton of money because they had so many of the sets left over. He told me that he told the man that he would never shop in Best Buy again, was going to call or find a way to get ahold of their main offices to compain. As he was telling him this another customer must have heard what was going on, because she came up with 4 X-Files sets with the coupons also, along with some other dvds and cds and told the manager "I must be tring to scam you guys also then." layed down the stuff, and walked out. As she did this so did my friend, telling them that he would never shop in there again. He said that he never got out of line with the manager at all, just questioned why they would kick him out for the coupons. All the manager had to do was say that they couldn't be used at all and he would have been cool with it.

Miami Joe 07-20-07 11:22 AM

Worked Friday morning at about 10am scanned in with no problem. This worked out great as I needed to get the 4 episode 24 season 6 disk for a gift which was priced at $9.99. Cashier spent a little time looking at it and I thought she was going to deny it, but then I mentioned that "it should scan properly" and she went ahead and scanned it without a word, receipt printed zero due, she put 24 in the bag and without any $'s spent, I was on my way! Sweeeet. Thanks all.
(and yes I do feel bad about giving someone the beginnings of 24 Season 6 as I know I'm just setting them up for a disappointing remaining 20 or so hours- haha)

Peep 07-20-07 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Heads up guys. Had a friend that went into the Fresno store last night to get the AD sets like I did. He went up with the coupons, got rang up, and when the screen showed $10 off for each set the casher started to tell him "Oh I don't think I can do this, I'm going to get into trouble." He asked "Why are you going to get into trouble?", and she stated "Because these are $32 sets that your getting for $4.99, were going to lose a lot of money and I'm going to get into trouble". He told her the sets were on sale and that it was a coupon from Fox but she wouldn't belive him, said she had to get a manager over there because if she went through with it, she was going to get into trouble. So when the manager came over and saw the coupons, he told him he needed to leave the store, that they were kicking people out that had the coupons because they were tring to scam Best Buy with them. My friend said he had this look of shock and told them that if there was a problem why was the coupon still scaning, and why wasn't there a sign up stating that the coupon couldn't be used. The manager said that he needed to leave because he was tring to cause problems and scam Best Buy along with many others with this coupon. He said he started to laugh because they had many sets of AD and X-Files left over, and told them there must be just a ton of people scaming them and losing a ton of money because they had so many of the sets left over. He told me that he told the man that he would never shop in Best Buy again, was going to call or find a way to get ahold of their main offices to compain. As he was telling him this another customer must have heard what was going on, because she came up with 4 X-Files sets with the coupons also, along with some other dvds and cds and told the manager "I must be tring to scam you guys also then." layed down the stuff, and walked out. As she did this so did my friend, telling them that he would never shop in there again. He said that he never got out of line with the manager at all, just questioned why they would kick him out for the coupons. All the manager had to do was say that they couldn't be used at all and he would have been cool with it.

The ironic thing being that your friend was trying to "scam" Best Buy.

:)