Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Free Movie Pass With DVD Purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chard31
Yea, I had the right intention but started out wrong...

I tried to delete and then edit my first post only mins after posting it but for whatever reason it didn't work...

Let's not make this into a ethics question but try to get this thread back on track...
Bullshit. I got those same tickets a few weeks ago when the corresponding DVDs were on sale (and yes, I did purchase 4 DVDs to go along with the 4 free tickets I got).

If you read the fine print closely enough to notice the $7 limit on redemption, then you surely would have noticed the larger print stating "Free along with the purchase of any of the following titles..."
Old 06-04-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy1961

I have no problem with a thread detailing current ticket offers but I do think that we are restating what has been posted just because someone doesn't want to read all / part of a weekly thread.
I love your threads, but I think it would be a nice companion piece for a few reasons:

- not everyone checks those threads(or reads them in that great of detail*)
- the tickets are generally in EVERY copy of the movie, not just the 3 stores you post(right?)
- tickets are available for longer than the week of the ad you post
- do you post the expiry date of the ticket?

*example, I wasn't looking to buy 40YoV last week, didn't really take notice of it in your thread, but saw the ticket deal in store and bought it.

I don't seek out the free ticket deals, but I wouldn't mind maintaining a real thread if there is interest.
Old 06-04-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's actually FREE Movie Cash which translates to a coupon to be redeemed when you buy the actual ticket. It usually has a maximum value limit. I've never had a problem with a theater accepting these and allowing me to pay the difference, if any.

Once again, it's not a FREE Movie TICKET!!!!

Oh well, unless I'm missing seeing the word TICKET here someplace, please point it out to me . . .

Last edited by Xbox69; 06-04-07 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I love your threads, but I think it would be a nice companion piece for a few reasons:

- not everyone checks those threads(or reads them in that great of detail*)
- the tickets are generally in EVERY copy of the movie, not just the 3 stores you post(right?)
- tickets are available for longer than the week of the ad you post
- do you post the expiry date of the ticket?

*example, I wasn't looking to buy 40YoV last week, didn't really take notice of it in your thread, but saw the ticket deal in store and bought it.

I don't seek out the free ticket deals, but I wouldn't mind maintaining a real thread if there is interest.
Whatever the ad lists is what I put in including the expiration date, date promotion starts, minimums per store, value, etc.....
Old 06-04-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

speedy1961 - while I really enjoy and appreciate your weekly threads, I for one would appreciate going to one place to see all the currently available movie tickets. Sometimes the tickets are good for up to 8 weeks, so you could potentially need to re-read 24 old store threads to find out what has free tickets. Just my two cents. Thanks again for your threads though.
Old 06-04-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by jkzahn
speedy1961 - while I really enjoy and appreciate your weekly threads, I for one would appreciate going to one place to see all the currently available movie tickets. Sometimes the tickets are good for up to 8 weeks, so you could potentially need to re-read 24 old store threads to find out what has free tickets. Just my two cents. Thanks again for your threads though.
Looks like it's up to Michael Corvin to create the prototype if he's still interested.

As always, I'll help in any way I can.

Circuit City Ticket Deal 6/10/07 - 6/16/07: Buy The Office Season 1 / Season 2 Two Pack for $39.99 and get free Movie Cash to see "Evan Almighty" (in theaters 6/22/07). Movie cash value = $7.50

Offer also available at Best Buy during the same timeframe.

Last edited by speedy1961; 06-05-07 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-04-07, 08:07 PM
Cool New Member

[QUOTE=speedy1961]As always, I'll help in any way I can.
[QUOTE]

The guy from Underworld?

So, wait, these are free, but only for certain movies and not as many theater chains are included as the Movie Cash™ type of free tickets and only if you buy a dvd for each ticket you get? I was in Best Buy last week and bought two dvds, plus a season box set, were they there then? I didn't see any. Could I get some retroactively with a receipt? Matinee movies are only $6.50 where I live, so these would be useful if any theater chains around here took them... and if I could get some that haven't already been stolen.
I know my store still has a lot and they are on a cart with the qualifying movies up by the registers
Old 06-05-07, 07:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I've got a question for the Forum:

Since I already post this info on a weekly basis in either of my Target / Best Buy / Circuit City.

Should I stop posting this info there so someone else later in the week can say: "Hey I found this at Best Buy and thought you all would like to know"?

I'm really curious as to what folks think about this. I mean, I DO provide this as soon as I get the ad. Do we really need another thread about it?

I have no problem with a thread detailing current ticket offers but I do think that we are restating what has been posted just because someone doesn't want to read all / part of a weekly thread.
I always mention them in my weekly thread of exclusives as well.

I'd say it is ok to have it mentioned in both our threads, and in a thread dedicated to just the free tickets as well.

Some people don't really care about the tickets and won't check this thread, but they may see that sale price in one of Speedy's threads, notice that it has a ticket also, and seek it out.

If someone was to do an exclusive movie ticket thread (I think it was tried before a year or three back), I would recommend keeping an alphabetical list of all free tickets, with the active ones bolded. And perhaps a quick key showing the types (movie cash, hollywood, etc) and the major chains that exclude them.
Old 06-05-07, 10:53 AM

I agree that I'd like to see them in both places. I do check your ads speedy and it's handy to know a week in advance.
Old 07-06-07, 11:34 AM

I've got a question for the Forum:
I'm really curious as to what folks think about this. I mean, I DO provide this as soon as I get the ad. Do we really need another thread about it?

Speedy,

First of all, I REALLY appreciate the service you provide. If it wasn't for your time and generosity I wouldn't have a Nintendo Wii (and I wouldn't have thrown a Wiimote through a guy's TV... but thats another story). Because of your inside track on things, I can now spend my Sundays doing stuff I like. I usually have to scavenge through the newspaper with about 3 other people looking at the Sunday Ads, and If you pull the important stuff out and give it to me on Tuesday (where I can read it on WORK time) it frees up my weekend! I feel that anyone posting information that has already been detailed in your thread should have their thread deleted. If you do all the work nearly a week in advance there should be no reason for some lazy idiot stealing the spotlight because he walked into best buy or wherever and found a good price that you mentioned a week ago!

I say keep up the good work and delete the crap posts from the lazy schmucks that didn't read it a week earlier!
Old 07-06-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um... I'm not sure why you dug up this old thread, but a movie cash thread was already started, with Speedy's blessing:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=502588
Old 07-06-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts