DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Prices of used DVD's heading south? RU buying used vs. new? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/497523-prices-used-dvds-heading-south-ru-buying-used-vs-new.html)

drq2 12-04-10 11:45 AM

Re: Prices of used DVD's heading south? RU buying used vs. new?

Some of the older ones, 1940s to 1990 & TV shows. I have gotten 1 to 7 of Southpark for under $5 each shipped. I only buy them from Amazon and I can tell you they do go back if something is not right.

For the life of me I never understand Amazon top two sellers. They cannot seem to count. I have in front of me Season 3 of 24. The box said 7 discs, the discs are number, yet they only ship me 4 (discs)of them. Ok maybe they did not read the box, but when the discs themselves are numbered 4 to 7 you have to wonder where are the other 3 at?

drq2 12-04-10 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10526490)
I think it's common sense that when you buy something used whether it be at a pawn shop, Blockbuster, or at a garage sale - the first thing you should/have to do is clean/disinfect it!

I scrub every used title I pick up with rubbing alcohol, takes off 99.9% of all germs!

It's funny back in day we used to clean the 1st CD-Rs like this. They would not work after sometime and we just thought it was new tech. Turn out the 650 discs or the 1st and 2nd gen of CDR did not like Rubbing Alcohol (97% or the higher end stuff). I was not till I went to work for Ricoh R&D I found this out.

smurr05 12-04-10 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 7766118)
I don't trust used at most places unless it's a place that's notorious anal when they buy back

I've bought PLENTY of used DVD's from Amazon marketplace always as long as the sellers rating was above 95% and NEVER had a problem with any of the discs I've purchased!:)

statcat 12-04-10 12:27 PM

I think it's common sense that when you buy something used whether it be at a pawn shop, Blockbuster, or at a garage sale - the first thing you should/have to do is clean/disinfect it!

I scrub every used title I pick up with rubbing alcohol, takes off 99.9% of all germs!

That sounds a bit germaphobic. Germs die on surfaces after a matter of days anyway. I can see doing that if it looks dirty but otherwise I think it's overkill. Your computer keyboard is probably more of a source of germs than any dvd case.

Trevor 12-04-10 01:11 PM

I just lick mine clean. Cheaper, and builds my immune system.

Travis McClain 12-04-10 03:31 PM

Going Blu has had a greater impact on our buying habits than anything outside of our shrinking budget. We resolved to be far more selective henceforth, concentrating on titles we really wanted and not just indulging in impulse buys because they were priced low enough. And at the same time, we've been shrewd about waiting for sales, finding coupons (thank you, Disney) and other such ways of getting what we want at more favorable prices. In fact, our average price paid for our modest Blu-ray library is $12.54. That's somewhat inflated because we got stuck with two Disney Movie Club featured selections (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at $24.95 and The Princess and the Frog at $31.95) that we didn't order. We've all but eliminated buying DVD, except titles that are only available on that format (like Craig Ferguson's stand-up special, A Wee Bit o' Revolution). Now when I rummage through Walmart's $5 assortment I'm just doing it to see if I come across something of interest that doesn't have a Blu-ray counterpart, rather than for an impulse buy.

I almost bought the Batman box set last December, but elected instead to get the Digibook release of just Batman, which at $29.99 stands as one of the three costliest Blus in our library. I love the movie, though, and was adamant about having that specific release. (I'd have gotten it for less had I known we were going Blu when it was released, but that didn't happen.) Thanks to WB Shop's recent sale, I was able to get the three sequels for less than the list price of one of them. It turns out that it did not, in fact, kill me to wait. And I don't feel that having Batman & Robin violates the selectivity clause in our buying policy, since I actually want to have it. I've made my peace with it being what it is, and while I won't watch it often I want to be able to watch it when I go on a Bat-kick.

asianxcore 12-05-10 01:16 PM

For me I'd say it's a good balance of both. Though probably slightly more on the Used side.

As for gross cases and the like, nothing that Goo Gone (or a new case) can't fix :)

ctyankee 12-05-10 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by smurr05 (Post 10526593)
i've bought plenty of used dvd's from amazon marketplace always as long as the sellers rating was above 95% and never had a problem with any of the discs i've purchased!:)

+1

Pizza 12-05-10 04:59 PM

Prices and deals have never been lower, there's no need for used DVDs for me.

That'sAllFolks 12-05-10 06:21 PM

I will rarely spend over $1-2 for a used movie. I did buy some OOP Disney stuff a couple of years back for $8 at a pawn shop when I was just getting back into collecting. I also bought Supergirl DC from $5 (before I found I still had the AB LE in storage!).

Though for blind buys that skyrocket in price, I would easily buy a used copy (even if I owned the copy sealed). The simple act of taking off the cellophane and breaking the security sticker can lower the (perceived) value of a OOP DVD by as much as 80%.

Travis McClain 12-05-10 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10528570)
Prices and deals have never been lower, there's no need for used DVDs for me.

I forgot to include the remark in my post, but only two of our Blu-ray Discs were bought used because we've found such great deals on new releases. I still look at the used DVDs and Blus when I'm out, but our buying has been way down since going Blu and changing our buying habits.

Spunkymonkey 12-05-10 09:16 PM

If I buy used, I only buy used off of Amazon marketplace from a reputable seller. I just purchased all of the Walt Disney Treasures that I wanted to own off Amazon and saved a ton. A lot of the prices on the new copies of the Walt Disney Treasures are a bit ridiculous.

pcdoctor 12-06-10 05:25 AM

I bought a DVD from a seller on Amazon that had a 100% rating with 12 sellers. When I received the DVD, it looked like a Blockbuster or Movie Gallery rental that had been rented 25+ times. I left this feedback for the seller.
"DVD was not in "Like New" condition as stated. Disc and case looked like it was a Blockbuster rental that has been rented 25 times. I cannot recommend this seller."
Seller's response:
"DVD's are not rentals, I'm not sure how you ended up with such a "badly worn" dvd, but if you had CONTACTED ME FIRST we could have resolved the issue and I would have given you a full refund". I have a hard time believing the seller didn't know of the conditon of the case and DVD before it was sold to me. The DVD had residue from those round center stickers some rental places use. The seller probably thought that I wouldn't leave feedback. Amazon has closed the seller's account. So, if you buy used from Amazon and get something not in the condition as stated, leave negative feedback. I still use Amazon for buying used but only about 3% of the time.

ctyankee 12-06-10 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by pcdoctor (Post 10529495)
I bought a DVD from a seller on Amazon that had a 100% rating with 12 sellers. When I received the DVD, it looked like a Blockbuster or Movie Gallery rental that had been rented 25+ times. I left this feedback for the seller.
"DVD was not in "Like New" condition as stated. Disc and case looked like it was a Blockbuster rental that has been rented 25 times. I cannot recommend this seller."
Seller's response:
"DVD's are not rentals, I'm not sure how you ended up with such a "badly worn" dvd, but if you had CONTACTED ME FIRST we could have resolved the issue and I would have given you a full refund". I have a hard time believing the seller didn't know of the conditon of the case and DVD before it was sold to me. The DVD had residue from those round center stickers some rental places use. The seller probably thought that I wouldn't leave feedback. Amazon has closed the seller's account. So, if you buy used from Amazon and get something not in the condition as stated, leave negative feedback. I still use Amazon for buying used but only about 3% of the time.

Probably what the seller thought is that you would treat him in a decent manner. And that's not to ruin his seller's reputation without giving him the chance to correct the error. This is not just my opinion but also the written policy of Amazon Marketplace that you violated. Believe it or not, human beings make honest and unintentional mistakes. What you did however was both unfair and intentional. You can't leave feedback without seeing:

'Please contact movie_lover23 to try to resolve any problems before submitting feedback.'

which you decided to ignore. I don't mean to be overly harsh but your post rubbed me the wrong way. How about treating people like you would like to be treated? More than likely, this is just some some small fry seller just trying to weed out his collection a bit. Likely a movie lover just like you. Is it hard to believe that he might have just flipped two listings and gave a 'like-new' status for a beat up disc and gave an 'acceptable' rating to a flawless dvd? Not everyone is perfect.

Trevor 12-06-10 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 10529537)
Probably what the seller thought is that you would treat him in a decent manner. And that's not to ruin his seller's reputation without giving him the chance to correct the error. This is not just my opinion but also the written policy of Amazon Marketplace that you violated. Believe it or not, human beings make honest and unintentional mistakes. What you did however was both unfair and intentional. You can't leave feedback without seeing:

'Please contact movie_lover23 to try to resolve any problems before submitting feedback.'

which you decided to ignore. I don't mean to be overly harsh but your post rubbed me the wrong way. How about treating people like you would like to be treated? More than likely, this is just some some small fry seller just trying to weed out his collection a bit. Likely a movie lover just like you. Is it hard to believe that he might have just flipped two listings and gave a 'like-new' status for a beat up disc and gave an 'acceptable' rating to a flawless dvd? Not everyone is perfect.

:up:

dvdjunkie32 12-06-10 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by vballboy51 (Post 7767057)
I almost buy used exclusivly now. i'm at the point where more than about 7.50 for a movie makes me angry (ie 3 for 25 is too expensive). i think it is that a) i'm somewhat backlogged (though i've really been working on it) and b) they eventually get so cheap, like people have said, i'll just wait until they come down unless i REALLY need it. I did just buy the shield season 5 last night for 30, which was about 5 bucks more than i wanted to spend on it, but still a pretty nice deal.

Ouch, Amazon was selling all seasons of the Shield for like $12 bucks each last week.

dvdjunkie32 12-06-10 08:11 AM

I've had to really adjust my mindset on dvd purchases this year. In the past, I would go hogwild and just buy anything I wanted, used or new because I was constantly reselling my used dvds on Amazon Marketplace.

Now, that medium has been decimated by overpopulation of sellers and lower demand. Single movie dvds are going for $0.01. Yes, one freaking penny. Now my expensive tv seasons are dropping below the $10 mark. Now I only buy what I want to own.

I'm happy owning a large collection, but I fear my dvds may end up like my audio cassettes. The technology gets so outdated and replaced by something much better. When I moved in 2008, I literally threw boxs of cassettes in the garbage. They were worthless and I no longer had a cassette player.

bubba111 12-06-10 08:13 AM

:up: :up:

mike07 12-06-10 08:21 AM

The prices may be better, but I prefer to do my shopping in-store only [for USED DVDs especially]. For one, you don't know the condition of the disc(s) and case(s). Two, shipping charges pretty much ruin it for me. Majority of the used DVDs I find on Amazon Marketplace or goHastings are so cheap that it makes the $3+shipping ridiculous. I'm sure there's more people like me out there, which would explain why in my geographical region there has been a handful of recently opened DVD/CD/Game Exchange -type stores.

lewisb73 12-06-10 11:50 AM

This...

As an amazon seller, I detest anyone who blindly leaves negative feedback with me before I have a chance to make it right...

bse 12-06-10 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by lewisb73 (Post 10529959)
This...

As an amazon seller, I detest anyone who blindly leaves negative feedback with me before I have a chance to make it right...

Yes, I got my first negative feedback and it was on a sealed item and the comments just said "surprised" and the buyer does not answer my e-mails. If you just contact the seller, chances are you getting a refund and keeping the DVD.

Travis McClain 12-06-10 02:29 PM

These issues with buyers defining conditions differently and all the hassle of reconciling with them is why I just take the hit and sell to Half Price Books. Once they give me an offer and I take it, I'm done. No worries about someone complaining that the slipcover has more shelf wear than they are willing to accept, no guesstimates about how many times the disc had been played (seriously, pcdoctor, how did you come up with "rented 25+ times?"). No waiting to see if the buyer is going to keep the item or complain a week after the transaction, etc. I know I could get a lot more for my items selling directly, but I've had it with Internet buyers.

Next thing you know, people will think they're entitled to refunds if Steve Martin discusses art while promoting a book about art instead of playing the banjo while wearing bunny ears.

ProfessorEcho 12-06-10 02:53 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

pcdoctor 12-06-10 04:29 PM

"Like new" condition means "like new" condition not "poor". You guys are telling me that you don't know the condition of your DVDs before you sell them? When I sell a product on Amazon, I know what condition it is in. I wasn't the only person to give the guy a bad rating. I'm a collector and I pride myself on keeping my DVDs in pristine condition. No one is perfect but to sell a disc in "like new" condition and it's in "poor" condition sounds strange. I also never asked for a refund. You guys aren't going to change a female's mind.

Trevor 12-06-10 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by pcdoctor (Post 10530570)
"Like new" condition means "like new" condition not "poor". You guys are telling me that you don't know the condition of your DVDs before you sell them? When I sell a product on Amazon, I know what condition it is in. I wasn't the only person to give the guy a bad rating. I'm a collector and I pride myself on keeping my DVDs in pristine condition. No one is perfect but to sell a disc in "like new" condition and it's in "poor" condition sounds strange. I also never asked for a refund. You guys aren't going to change a female's mind.

And you aren't going to change the overwhelming majority opinion (and posted "rules"/request by Amazon) that you were completely wrong to leave feedback without trying to fix the situation first.