Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Google Checkout $10 off $10 purchase: register 3/30-5/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Google Checkout $10 off $10 purchase: register 3/30-5/15

Yup, you heard it right. Forget the new $10 off $30 that some sites have been promising, Google just reset the clock on their $10 off a $10 order.

From their site:

Limit one per person only. We will apply the $10 bonus to your first purchase of $10 or more (before shipping & tax) from participating stores. To receive the bonus, sign-up between March 30, 2007 and May 15, 2007. The bonus expires June 30, 2007 and cannot be combined with other Google Checkout promotions. Please refer to the sign-up confirmation page for more participating stores.

http://checkout.google.com/signupbonus
Old 03-31-07, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It'll be interesting to see if people who used this once before can use it again from the exact same account. Didn't that happen the last time that they reset the clock?
Old 03-31-07, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peep
It'll be interesting to see if people who used this once before can use it again from the exact same account. Didn't that happen the last time that they reset the clock?
I just tried, and didn't receive a discount.
Old 03-31-07, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Sign up to earn your $10 bonus

If you're new to Checkout....."
Old 03-31-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

arghh...all what google is doing is giving us excuses to fuck up their system...bring on the $10 off $30 and $20 off $50 already!
Old 03-31-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im still confused...so if you've already bought something using GCO in the past...are you not able to use it again in the future? (ie...NOW)
Old 03-31-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
im still confused...so if you've already bought something using GCO in the past...are you not able to use it again in the future? (ie...NOW)
According to flashburn, yes. You only get the discount with new accounts. GC's old methods of figuring out if you truly are a "new" user probably still apply.

Still, even if you can't get the discount a 2nd time with an old account, the fact that they extended the deadline is great news.
Old 03-31-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to flashburn, yes. You only get the discount with new accounts. GC's old methods of figuring out if you truly are a "new" user probably still apply.

Still, even if you can't get the discount a 2nd time with an old account, the fact that they extended the deadline is great news.
agreed! :-D
Old 03-31-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think like the old $10 off $10, it is fine if you already had an account and used the previous $10 off $30, but you can still use the $10 off $10 one time. You just need to go to the "Sign Up" page and enter in your existing account information.
Old 03-31-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just signed up with the same account and CC# as before, notified me of receiving the $10 off $10.

Last edited by alfonsosoriano; 03-31-07 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get to the checkout screen and the discount won't show...
Old 03-31-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is funny. Didn't place or attempt to place a single new GCO order, but received this email today, after I signed up for a new account:

"It appears that you have created several accounts in order to take advantage of our new promotion. However, creating multiple accounts is not allowed under the terms of this promotion. As a result, we have suspended your additional accounts and their associated transactions. You may continue to make purchases with your original Google Checkout account at this time. The promotion terms were developed to ensure a positive user experience for everyone. If your account use continues not to comply with these terms, you may not be eligible to make purchases through Google Checkout in the future."

Tried a second new account, and got an oops message at DVD Planet.
If you don't have multiple credit cards, then GCO is a pointless exercise in futility.

Last edited by NoirFan; 03-31-07 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
This is funny. Didn't place or attempt to place a single new GCO order, but received this email today, after I signed up for a new account:

"It appears that you have created several accounts in order to take advantage of our new promotion. However, creating multiple accounts is not allowed under the terms of this promotion. As a result, we have suspended your additional accounts and their associated transactions. You may continue to make purchases with your original Google Checkout account at this time. The promotion terms were developed to ensure a positive user experience for everyone. If your account use continues not to comply with these terms, you may not be eligible to make purchases through Google Checkout in the future."

If you don't have multiple credit cards, then GCO is a pointless exercise in futility.
hmmm...i wonder what this means for the rest of us...
Old 03-31-07, 09:37 PM

damn you google... and your wanting me to sign up many times and get lots of money off dvds... it's making me broke!
Old 03-31-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When you signed up did you use a new email address and/or new credit card?
Old 04-01-07, 08:22 AM

I don't even think that matters anymore because I've found that Google cancels orders based on the billing address. Even if you have multiple CCs with varying numbers, they will cancel the order if they see that particular billing address has already received the promotion.
Old 04-01-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VicVega
I don't even think that matters anymore because I've found that Google cancels orders based on the billing address. Even if you have multiple CCs with varying numbers, they will cancel the order if they see that particular billing address has already received the promotion.
Is it Google cancelling the orders or is it the vendors? I've been blacklisted at one vendor and had an order cancelled (recently) at another. But my name & address seems fine with other vendors.
Old 04-01-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What if different people in the same household sign up for accounts? They would have different email addresses and probably different credit cards, but they would all have the same address. Does Google consider the discount to be one per PERSON or one per HOUSEHOLD?
Old 04-01-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Darn it. Wish the 10 off 30 would spread over to DVDPlanet, Buy, and DVDEmpire for those of us that are already existing users. Not so sure it will again with this current promotion still going. Hope so.
Old 04-01-07, 07:10 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Google cancelling the orders and not the vendors. Why should the vendors care, right? They get that $10 reimbursed to them through Google. One can only assume that Google is the one getting pissed off because they have to reimburse all those extra $10 off orders from people who are NOT new users. I'm also pretty sure it's $10 off per household. I'm just going by my experiance because I used my mom's card after using my own (same billing address) and that order was cancelled. I think the key is to wait at least 5 days after having an item shipped before trying to use the promotion again. I'm sure with all the thousands of people placing multiple orders, some people will get away with using a different card with the same billing address. It's worth a shot. Google may have won the GCO battle, but I will win the GCO war.

By the way, has anyone continued to try and use the promotion after receiving "the email" from Google, threating to prevent you from using GCO altogether?
Old 04-01-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VicVega
I'm pretty sure it's Google cancelling the orders and not the vendors. Why should the vendors care, right? They get that $10 reimbursed to them through Google. One can only assume that Google is the one getting pissed off because they have to reimburse all those extra $10 off orders from people who are NOT new users.
I can tell you for sure that it's not just Google.

I had a few orders all sitting, unshipped at one of the vendors and I called them about it. The person on the phone said that Google had flagged my name with them and that they could only honor one of my outstanding orders. I told them I would call back but never did. None of them shipped and (weeks later), none of them have been cancelled.

The cancelled order that I had was with another vendor. I'm not sure who instigated it. I never called.
Old 04-01-07, 09:03 PM

Hmm, that's really interesting. I know it makes little difference, but I bet that the merchants really could care less about people using the promotion numerous times. I'm sure it's just Google making them aware that people are abusing this promotion and urging them to help them enforce the conditions of the promotion. By the way, Peep, how many orders did you place at once to have them all cancelled? When this promotion first started, I told myself to be patient and not to place another order until the previous one had shipped. It worked for a while (and I got the promotion to work with around 13 seperate orders (all with 1 dvd per order). I unfortunately got greedy and started placing orders around 1 day before a previous order shipped and thats when they started cancelling me. I dunno, for now I'm just getting some of my friends to buy my stuff for me with their CC's and ship it to their house and I'm just paying them back in cash. I think I have a problem.
Old 04-01-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's just say that I was getting greedy also, and leave it at that.

The person I spoke to on the phone said that once Google flagged me, then Google wouldn't reimburse them for the discount. That seemed powerful motivation for them.
Old 04-02-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was hopimg that Google wouldn't extend the new customer registration period because I felt that the $10 off $30 bonus wouldn't become widespread until after GCO closed the new sign up bonus. So it doesn't look like the broadening of the discount available to existing accounts will happen soon...
My accounts were cancelled even though I waited about a week after my order arrived before opening another and did not get too many orders filled.
Old 04-02-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
My accounts were cancelled even though I waited about a week after my order arrived before opening another and did not get too many orders filled.
Cancelled at which vendor?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.