Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding Google Checkout (Not $10 Off)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 06:58 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just curious (and I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but the other Google Checkout threads are about the $10 off for sign-up offer and, as such, are ten miles long)--what is the advantage of using Google Checkout once the $10 off offer disappears? What is our incentive to use it, rather than just the checkout screens of whatever site from which we happen to be buying?
Old 01-18-07, 07:12 AM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only advantage that I can see is that your CC # isn't given to the various e-tailers that use GCO. Only Google has access to it so if a site is hacked your info is safe.
Old 01-18-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the one that was mentioned for me is if I buy from a place I know I won't buy from ever again. like a kids toy store like I just did for an xmas present for a family member. it saves on the registering process etc considering I will more than likely never shop there again or will only for xmas.
Old 01-18-07, 08:25 AM

It also means that you won't need to have a separate account open with each retailer. In theory, you'd only need the one GC account. Of course, in practice, I already have accounts open with the retailers I'd be most likely to use GC for, like cd universe, bestprices, buy.com, dvdempire, dvdplanet, etc., so it really doesn't do much for me without the discounts.

And I frankly prefer having the direct dealing with the retailer. When things have gone wrong using GC, I feel it is a bit harder to get a resolution.

Edit: looks like buddha beat me to the punch.
Old 01-18-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think others have also mentioned that they are trying to enter the same market as PayPal. Eventually they might allow for some type of person-to-person transactions and maybe even start their own auction site to compete with eBay.
Old 01-18-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would use Google Checkout a lot more if it had person to person stuff, since I dislike Paypal's site and use Google for a ton of stuff.
Old 01-18-07, 09:42 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, so fairly useless then in the long run (unless it goes all-out PayPal style). Okay, thanks for the insights.
Old 01-18-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Word of warning. I ordered a set of towels through GCO, which was processed through Linens and Things. LNT sent me an e-mail saying the bath towels were OOS, but mailed me the hand and washcloths. Since I did not want the washcloths and handtowels without the bath, I ended up talking them back to a b & m location. The worst part is GCO charge my CC for the full amount $27 and I am disputing with AMEX to get the credit back...
Old 01-18-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Word of warning. I ordered a set of towels through GCO, which was processed through Linens and Things. LNT sent me an e-mail saying the bath towels were OOS, but mailed me the hand and washcloths. Since I did not want the washcloths and handtowels without the bath, I ended up talking them back to a b & m location. The worst part is GCO charge my CC for the full amount $27 and I am disputing with AMEX to get the credit back...
This is one of my major complaints with GCO. The other is tracking orders.

A lot of sites are like "Just log in to track your order!" That's great, but I don't have a login.
Old 01-18-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that the concept of Google Checkout is a good one, but the implementation still has some issues - especially involving OOS items and cancelling orders.

I'd be willing to use them once the promotions end provided that they shake the bugs out of their system.
Old 01-19-07, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless some unfamiliar site is offering a deal I can't refuse, I don't see myself using the Google checkout again now that the incentives are over.
Old 01-19-07, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I suggest that we all boycott GCU until they bring back tthe $20 off deal.
Old 01-19-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by boc4ever
I had a somewhat similar situation, where a store cancelled $300 in orders that Google had already charged me for and it was a nightmare getting my money back. I had a thread about it in the store forum. They have no customer service number, so if something goes wrong, you're forced to sort it out through their painfully slow email system. Barring a good discount, I would advise strongly against using them.