Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Samurai Champloo complete box set for $25?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Samurai Champloo complete box set for $25?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the people who ordered Star Trek Seasons 1-4 are getting exactly that. So i dont have any doubts that this deal should pull through.
Old 01-10-07, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
But, for FeelingGreat's edification - it doesn't have to be expensive. The market price of anime tends to fall rapidly in the USA after 1st publication - probably because they start out more expensive than most domestic DVDs in other genres. Some brands fall slower than others - Geneon being one of the slowest and ADV being one of the fastest. The key to saving money with anime is to wait it out. The older a series is, the cheaper it will be. And, while you are waiting for a "hot" series to fade to the bargain bin, you might get lucky and catch a deal like this one.
Yah, I was going to say Anime can be an expensive hobby depending on how you go about it. If you buy individual releases the week they come out, it's going to be costly. If you can wait around for the inevitable sale by some website (Rightstuf or DDD being the biggest) or a boxset or thinpak, you can save tons of cash. Just check this thread regularly, as pretty much every deal that comes in is posted here.
Old 01-10-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so we have yet to see anyone who has received the Samurai Champloo Box Set...huh?
Old 01-10-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ToddG15
Yah, I was going to say Anime can be an expensive hobby depending on how you go about it.
You're right, of course. I posted right before I went to bed and realized later that my post could have been written more clearly. There are always great deals on anime (espeically here in the Anime Deals threads) and I did not mean to imply that you're monetarily screwed if you buy anime. It can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be if you're smart about it.
Old 01-10-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well its confirmed....I RECEIVED THE COMPLETE COLLECTION OF SAMURAI CHAMPLOO W/BOX FOR $25!!!!
Old 01-10-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Awesome, i hope i get mine tommorow or friday. Should have sprung for the one day shipping
Old 01-10-07, 11:24 AM

Congrats DVDmaniac14 !!!
I can`t wait to get this box and also Sagan`s Cosmos collection, The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection, Cirque Du Soleil - Anniversary Collection, 1984-2005 each of them for $25. The only one I have missed is STE.
Old 01-10-07, 12:39 PM

Mine arrived today too.

The strange thing is, it had a Best Buy price sticker over the "From the Creators of Cowboy Bebop" label.
Old 01-10-07, 01:55 PM

Mine also came with a Bestbuy sticker..?
Old 01-10-07, 02:07 PM

Oddy enough, months, maybe over a year ago, I bought a DVD at BB and underneath the BB label was a Walmart sticker.
Old 01-10-07, 02:26 PM

I also ordered ZIPANG V1 with Art Box, another Geneon title, from DVD Pacific a few weeks ago, and it showed up with a Best Buy price sticker on it too.
Old 01-10-07, 03:36 PM
Cool New Member

I really wish I would have jumped on this, congrats to those who got it....Great deal!
Old 01-10-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Mine should come tomorrow.

The current state of the anime market is lightyears better than it used to be. It wasn't too long ago you'd pay 25-30 bucks for 2-4 episode dubbed OR subbed [if you're lucky] videotapes, if you could find it, and if it's one of the titles deemed marketable. What with dvd, thinpacks, complete series sets, etc, you can get great series for a [relative] steal, if you just wait a little while. Plus the availability and variety is immense.
But please don't knowingly buy bootlegs, that hurts us all

I wouldn't have minded getting Cosmos, but I'm happy with what I did get.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 01-10-07 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 07:21 PM

well, since anime is such an expensive habit, I am glad I am not getting hooked onto it, all for the greater good in the long run
Old 01-10-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...I don't know about that. Depriving yourself of (for example) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Giant Robo and other fine examples of the medium would be a damn shame.
Old 01-10-07, 09:42 PM

Check your local library too. ^^ Mine had Last Exile, Memories, most of Studio Ghibli's movies, the Cowboy Bebop movie, etc. Lot of manga and graphic novels too.
Old 01-10-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Don't forget Netflix or BBO. Anime can be an expensive habit, and while I've bought lots of titles, I've rented quite a few also, which lets you check out a title/series without making the commitment of purchasing the series (I'm a completist, if I buy a series, I want all of it). There are a number of titles I would not have bought blind, but enjoyed from renting; and of course a few I'm glad I only rented instead of buying.
Old 01-11-07, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by radicaldeth
Check your local library too. ^^ Mine had Last Exile, Memories, most of Studio Ghibli's movies, the Cowboy Bebop movie, etc. Lot of manga and graphic novels too.

THeres a thread somewhere here and on CAG detailing certain animes you can get relatively cheap from Best Buy, if you go in-store and place an online order from the kiosk.

Example being Last Exile. You can order a copy this way for like $30 bucks, but if you were to access their site and order outside the store it would be $170.
Old 01-11-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Mine should come tomorrow.

The current state of the anime market is lightyears better than it used to be. It wasn't too long ago you'd pay 25-30 bucks for 2-4 episode dubbed OR subbed [if you're lucky] videotapes, if you could find it, and if it's one of the titles deemed marketable. What with dvd, thinpacks, complete series sets, etc, you can get great series for a [relative] steal, if you just wait a little while. Plus the availability and variety is immense.
But please don't knowingly buy bootlegs, that hurts us all

I wouldn't have minded getting Cosmos, but I'm happy with what I did get.
Agreed

IIRC I still have my vol 1 VHS copy of Lodoss War laying around. A bunch of us split it up in high school. I think we spent $120 on the VHS box set, and it was dubbed only.

I didn't watch anime for years until about 2002-2003 when Crest of the Stars sucked me back in on a blind rental from greencine.com. My wife got addicted and spends way more on anime than me (just like she spends way too much on normal DVDs).

Anime has gotten so cutthroat with the pricedrops and thinpaks that I stopped collecting individual volumes on release. I just wait for the inevitable box set/thinpack/etc.

This was a good deal guys. My wife bought this ages ago, 1 disc at at time as she was a big fan of the show. I still haven't watched past disc 2 or so.
Old 01-11-07, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
THeres a thread somewhere here and on CAG detailing certain animes you can get relatively cheap from Best Buy, if you go in-store and place an online order from the kiosk.

Example being Last Exile. You can order a copy this way for like $30 bucks, but if you were to access their site and order outside the store it would be $170.
Yep. ^^ Been a general R1 cheapskate and GA member for several years. Just pointing out what you can find at the library. If someone's just curious about anime and they are looking for a cheap legit resouce, then this is a great gateway drug for them.

Beside sales, forums and the anime price meltdown of the past few years, I've been lucky to find legit dvds on Ebay and bought several series piecemeal. No bootlegs, R1 dvds with inserts. Got Utena (series plus the movie with the pink case) for a total of $45. Kinda sucked having the series out of order until I found all the dvds, but that was before the re-price from CPM.

What kills me are retail stores with bootlegs and people who still buy them when prices have been so great. Even worse is going to a con and seeing store owners on a panel talk about how great chinese 'imports' are for anime. Saw that last year.
Old 01-11-07, 08:35 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Pookymeister

Here is this month's Anime Bargin Thread and Post #2 will have the Best Buy table.