Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

40% off DVD box set is back at Borders 12/19-12/20

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdollaz and fliggil are correct. Here is exactly what the email states:

Save 10% on an entire day of shopping. Because you've used your Borders Rewards card and spent more than $50 in December, you've earned a Personal Shopping Day.

Choose any day you want. No matter how many times you shop on your day, you'll save. Don't forget to bring your Borders Rewards card.

Spend $50 or more in January and earn another Personal Shopping Day.

Hurry - your Personal Shopping Day expires January 31, 2007
Old 12-19-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PSDs are calendar-month based, just to re-confirm all that. Any calendar month you spend $50 in, you get a PSD. And only one.

King Kong extended is PROBABLY a regular DVD. but with the statue it probably isn't, heh.

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
40% off of $50 for Simpsons S9 not only gets you it for 3 bucks less than Best Buy and Circuit City, but you also get to miss out on the ridiculous lines at those establishments. It's too bad that by the time I get out of work and go to Borders they'll be sold out of it (even though their inventory system will say they aren't)
We got about 20 copies of it into our store.
But beyond that...do you realize how difficult a real-time updated inventory system, especially with internet accessibility would be?
Old 12-19-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
Went at lunch and couldn't find anything. Damn. I'll probably go to a different location tomorrow and see if anything catches my eye.
Old 12-19-06, 12:37 PM
CML
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
PSDs are calendar-month based, just to re-confirm all that. Any calendar month you spend $50 in, you get a PSD. And only one.

King Kong extended is PROBABLY a regular DVD. but with the statue it probably isn't, heh.
Erm, you wouldn't be able to check if just the regular Extended edition is a boxed set? I don't really want the statue set.
Old 12-19-06, 02:10 PM

No Lisa heads at the Borders in Downtown Boston, but plenty o' box sets
Old 12-19-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's considered a "box set"?

Is a TV season a "box set"?

Is a 4-disk Narnia a "box set"?
Old 12-19-06, 02:30 PM

if someone wants to save me a trip, where do i find out what the final price would be for an item... i mean, they say off the "retail price"... namely, i'm interested in smallville season 5... so would that be off the $60 retail price as on amazon.com?
Old 12-19-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
FangsFirst works there. He provided an explanation in this post.
Explanation of Borders Box Set

Yes

Yes.
Old 12-19-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by blaze1984
if someone wants to save me a trip, where do i find out what the final price would be for an item... i mean, they say off the "retail price"... namely, i'm interested in smallville season 5... so would that be off the $60 retail price as on amazon.com?
Check www.bordersstores.com.

It says list for Season 5 is $59.99.
Old 12-19-06, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by wildman1037
Check www.bordersstores.com.

It says list for Season 5 is $59.99.
cheaper on amazon... thanks for the help though wildman...
Old 12-19-06, 03:03 PM

no go on Treasures

Tried to purchase Silly Symphonies in SF. Cashier said coupon would not work since it is not considered a box set.
Old 12-19-06, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by n.phelge
You can also use bordersstores.com to request that an item be held for up to 3 days, although I haven't tried using it on the release date of an item.
Yeah..I was a little iffy on that. I just like
calling and getting a persons name & all.
Plus they tag it and put your name on it.
And I ask them what it looks like
and such. Its saves a big disappointment
when you arrive. Its only a few minutes
of phone time waiting.

Also on a side note. This morning I overheard
the manager saying not to hold any box sets
today or tomorrow. So again call the day before
or when they first open for new releases.
Old 12-19-06, 03:56 PM

Disappointment in the Borders in Wayne, NJ. I was looking for the BBC Charles Dickens Collection 2, which is four discs and retails for $40. They had it on the shelf in a back room, but selling for $50! A couple of BBC single discers were selling for over retail too, specifically their "Classic" titles, ie Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton, etc. Shame.

Asked the salesgirl if Allo Allo complete series 5 would be considered a boxed set, as it's two Amarays sealed together. She said yes, but they didn't have it in stock.

Shall try in Paramus tomorrow.
Old 12-19-06, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
This may have been asked in a previous post about Borders, so my apologies in advance. Nevertheless, can you combine this coupon with the 10% off personal shopping day? I want to get Season 6 of "ER" and would love to save as much as possible.
How do you redeem your personal shopping days? Just ask them at the register to process it for you? I can't seem to find how to print a coupon anywhere on the rewards site or anything like that.... Just says I have some personal shopping days "available".

Last edited by getjazzedman; 12-19-06 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 05:37 PM

Borders pulled a bait and switch. Yesterday, Lost season 2 was $40.00 and the worker told me there is an additional 20% off. I went today and they jacked the price up to $60 with 40% off. So I would have saved more if I bought it yesterday.
Old 12-19-06, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
40% off of $50 for Simpsons S9 not only gets you it for 3 bucks less than Best Buy and Circuit City, but you also get to miss out on the ridiculous lines at those establishments. It's too bad that by the time I get out of work and go to Borders they'll be sold out of it (even though their inventory system will say they aren't)
Or you could just go to buy.com (using google checkout) and get it, plus another $13 item for the same $30! (actually, you're paying $30, plus tax).

(also, Lost Season 2 is $30 there, too!).

Last edited by ctowner1; 12-19-06 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Just sign up when you make a purchase, that's the easiest way to do it. You can do it at any kiosk in the store as well, but at the register is the quickest and simplest way.
When I signed up at the register a month ago it took LESS than 30 seconds!
The cashier was a fast typist I guess.
Old 12-19-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 618 Likes on 444 Posts
Originally Posted by ctowner1
Or you could just go to buy.com (using google checkout) and get it, plus another $13 item for the same $30! (actually, you're paying $30, plus tax).
its $44 now at buy so if you added a $6 item it would bring it to $30.
Old 12-19-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by n.phelge
You can also use bordersstores.com to request that an item be held for up to 3 days, although I haven't tried using it on the release date of an item.
I've tried this twice in the past. Neither time did they actually pull the item and have it for me behind the counter. One of the two I had to go find myself, the other time someone had already bought it before I got there because they didn't pull it. Needless to say that has soured me on doing that ever again.

Neither time was on a release day item.
Old 12-19-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 618 Likes on 444 Posts
thats too bad.
this is how i get some of mine, including the mash box set today.
ended up paying about $108 for it after 10% shopping day the 40% coupon and a few earned dollars.
Old 12-20-06, 12:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by royjobs2000
Borders pulled a bait and switch. Yesterday, Lost season 2 was $40.00 and the worker told me there is an additional 20% off. I went today and they jacked the price up to $60 with 40% off. So I would have saved more if I bought it yesterday.
1) I think the guy at Borders was lying to you, because I have never seen them price their TV boxsets that low and offer another 20% off.

2) Their coupons are almost always off list/MSRP, which sucks, but you can find some gems if you look hard enough.

3) Their boxsets are normally priced at list/MSRP anyway, so they didn't "jack up" the price...it just wasn't on sale any longer.
Old 12-20-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My previous post (how awesome that someone linked to it ) is definitive: the coupon looks for "DB" as the item's category.

Originally Posted by btlives
Yeah..I was a little iffy on that. I just like
calling and getting a persons name & all.
Plus they tag it and put your name on it.
And I ask them what it looks like
and such. Its saves a big disappointment
when you arrive. Its only a few minutes
of phone time waiting.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've tried this twice in the past. Neither time did they actually pull the item and have it for me behind the counter. One of the two I had to go find myself, the other time someone had already bought it before I got there because they didn't pull it. Needless to say that has soured me on doing that ever again.

Neither time was on a release day item.
Amusingly, a release day is more likely to go through, since they're put out that morning, and should be in decent quantities.
Now, as far as the OLRs go, WAIT until you receive confirmation back before you go in. If your local store is processing them correctly, they'll tell you whether they found and pulled it.

Also on a side note. This morning I overheard the manager saying not to hold any box sets today or tomorrow. So again call the day before or when they first open for new releases.
Sorry, I did forget about this--we've been asked not to hold or reserve any box sets for these two days, and are taking everything first come first serve. Your store may or may not violate this directive, but that's what's going on.

Originally Posted by royjobs2000
odisn is right. The price on Lost season 2 has NEVER been $40 at Borders. We do not jack up prices, ESPECIALLY not just to take advantage of coupon or sale-based expectations. If our base prices ever change, it is purely at the behest of publishers.

By the by, apologies CML, I completely didn't think about it while at work, but I'll check tomorrow and report back on my lunch break, which will hopefully give you enough time!
Old 12-20-06, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by odisn
3) Their boxsets are normally priced at list/MSRP anyway, so they didn't "jack up" the price...it just wasn't on sale any longer.
While that may or may not be true in this case, I have no opinion. But it is entirely possible for a store to mark an item over MSRP, after all MSRP is just the manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. Best Buy is well known for randomly over-pricing anime titles, they probably do it to regular titles too, just the anime buyers are rabid enough to notice and comment on it. We occasionally get reports of mall-stores pricing over MSRP too.
Old 12-20-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts
I picked up Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 2 for $22.00 at the Pentagon City Borders with the 40% coupon combined with the personal shopping day 10% discount. The price beats the DDD sale and I didn't have to wait until June either, so thanks, Borders!
Old 12-20-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This came along at the perfect time: I had $11.xx in rewards to use, and my boss gave me a $25 Borders gift card yesterday morning. Went to two separate Borders stores last night and picked up Brazil CC ($59.99 list) and Seven Samurai CC ($49.99 list) for a total of $33.xx after tax. Two titles I've been waiting (and waiting...) for good deals on.

Hooray!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.