DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$10 off $30 from Buy.com through Google Checkout

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by historyavenger
just got an email from buy.com

Subject: Reusable Coupon! $10 off $30 or more when you use Google Checkout at Buy.com

Dear Valued Customer,

As part of our commitment to continually improve your shopping experience at Buy.com, we'd like to let you know we now offer Google CheckoutTM. Even better, all purchases of $30 or more (before S&H and tax) completed with Google Checkout throughout October will get an automatic $10 bonus!
I just got that email also.
Old 10-05-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my Seven Samurai today. The set is just gorgeous. Great deal!
Old 10-05-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my Rushmore: CC from Buy.com as well.
Old 10-05-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Ditto
Old 10-05-06, 12:38 PM

I got that email too but Checkout still won't work on buy.com, I keep getting 502 Server Error on the Google page, itself.
Old 10-05-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for this deal! I got Cinderella Man and The Adventures of Robin Hood (HD-DVDs) from Bestprices for $31.95 shipped. It's pretty good, considering Amazon is still charging almost $24 for CM.
Old 10-05-06, 12:52 PM

On a side note, I just received my last order from the original $10 off $20, the Hollywood Legends Of Horror Collection from CD Universe for $16.53 shipped. A pretty nice looking set, it will definitely be getting watched this weekend.
Old 10-05-06, 01:35 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I've been trying to get it to work at Buy.com for over a day now and nothing. I either get "Can't Find Server" or it takes me to a Google page that says "Oops, we are unable to process your request."

And now they've raised the price slightly on Seven Samurai.
Same here. It looks like there is some sub-set of buy.com customers that cannot access Google Checkout from buy.com. I sent buy.com the following e-mail:

I received your e-mail enticing me to use Google Checkout this morning.

I have been trying to make a purchase at buy.com using Google Checkout since last Friday, September 29th. GOOGLE CHECKOUT DOES NOT WORK! It did not work last Friday and it still does not work this morning.

Using the latest version of Firefox, I get "The connection was reset The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." notice. I get similar results using the latest versions of IE and the Opera browser.

I sent you an e-mail about this problem last Friday. I received a boilerplate response back from you expressing sorrow and asking me to call your customer support department.

Rather than asking your customers to jump through hoops, why not just fix the problem? Apparently, you don't care about your customers, or the business they do with you.

I purchased the items I would have purchased from buy.com, from one of your competitors. For me, the problem is solved. For you, it most definitely is not.
Let them know. If enough people do so, maybe the loss of business will give buy.com the incentive to do something about it.
Old 10-05-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks! I have placed four orders so far (mostly books, but I did get a few DVDs like Seven Samurai).
Old 10-05-06, 02:52 PM

I placed an order through Google checkout with the 10 off 30 coupon @ dvdempire without any problems. I placed an order for 3 new dvds and it worked without a problem.
Old 10-05-06, 02:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Picked up Doctor Who: The Beginning box set from Buy.com...

$24 and change...sweet!
Old 10-05-06, 03:10 PM

I keep getting order cancellations for no reason. Two orders went through without a problem, but five have been cancelled. No idea why.
Old 10-05-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For me, checking out with the latest version of Firefox was impossible. 0 for 25. With IE I was more successful, but I still had problems. I was able to check out successfully 2 out of 5 times with IE. I’m not too upset with the inability to check out, had everything gone okay from the beginning I prolly would have spent way too much money. This problem at least limits the amount I can spend before the deal ends.
Old 10-05-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally figured out DVD Empire. The google link shows up on the page that comes up after you add items to your cart, and not on the page when you click procede to checkout like it does at the other sites. From there, I just bought:

Order #4: 14 Hours, Shock, & Vicky (Fox Film Noir)

The total came to $22.37, or $7.46 for each DVD. That's cheaper than the DDD 20% off sale, and I was planning to buy these then. Woohoo!

NOTE:

I have been placing all of my orders using Firefox, and I haven't had a single problem. I have no clue what's up with some of you.
Old 10-05-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, if this really lasts the whole month of October, I know where I'm getting all my new releases.
Old 10-05-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I have been placing all of my orders using Firefox, and I haven't had a single problem. I have no clue what's up with some of you.
Likewise.
Old 10-05-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
I keep getting order cancellations for no reason. Two orders went through without a problem, but five have been cancelled. No idea why.
Probably the same reason two of mine now have been--they "can't contact you" with the information provided. Which makes sense, since google checkout doesn't ask for a phone number or anything...

Ironically, Buy.Com sent me an email saying they couldn't contact me by email about my order :P
Old 10-05-06, 09:02 PM

Anyone who is having problems try refreshing and using the BACK button - even when you get the "OOPS". It does really work - most times taking many, many times and tries. I even put the checkout.google.com (216.239.57.113) in my hosts file to make sure that it atleast would resolve the address. (Because of the https (security) the address may resolve but the server is so overloaded or such that you get the same "can not find server" message.)

Also from what DrPrimo said, if you signed in and still get back to the sign-in with your email showing but only requested your password, hit the BACK button and you may jsut get to the final checkout (or you may have to go through the aforementioned back-n-forth). I would suggest, if you get the sign-in screen again after signing in, sign-in again and maybe even a third time, if you get it even again, before trying the BACK button. This may provide better success rate.

Happy bargaining !

I off to do my 6th and counting.......some have already shipped too !!!!
Old 10-05-06, 09:02 PM

Glad to see some other people have had cancellations too...I placed 4 orders initially and they cancelled them all. (after taking their sweet time with them) I also got an email from them saying they couldn't conact me by email or phone. I'm assuming something in my billing info didn't look correct to them, so I changed a couple things and am waiting to see what happens with a new order.
Old 10-05-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
mine arrived today too. thanks again to the opp
Old 10-05-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dollfins1
thanks again to the opp
Yeah you know me!

I didn't have any trouble with my order using Opera. BTW, it is normal to have the confirmation email for your order from the store as the total before the discount, right? When I checked out through Google Checkout, I got an email from them showing the discount, but the subsequent email from Bestprices did not have the discount applied.

EDIT: Never mind. I just looked at the Google email again and it said the bonus may not appear on the store's web site or emails.
Old 10-05-06, 10:43 PM

Thanks for some of the suggestions, people. Still no luck, though. I can get it to go through fine on every store but Buy.com......who knows what's up with it.
Old 10-05-06, 11:42 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
I got the Cary Grant 5 film set from Sony . $24.98 after $10 off. This is the one that includes Holiday, His Girl Friday, The Awful Truth , Only Angels Have Wings, and Talk of the Town. At $5 a film a bargain.

I also saw some Sony TV sets for $17.99 before the $10 off. Order 2 @ $12.99 each per order. Titles included
Bewitched Seasons 1,2, and 3 B&W or Color
I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 B&W or Color,
King of Queens Seasons 1,2,3,4
Party of Five Seasons 1,2
Gidget
Flying Nun Season 1
Huff Season 1
Married with Children Season 1,2,3

Last edited by Classic Films; 10-06-06 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Someone may have already mentioned this, but....

Buy.com is selling The Critic (The Complete Series) starring Jon Lovitz, a great show, for $22.99. You'll have to tack something else on, but if you compare with other vendors prices on the set - Amazon $45 and $37 at Deep Discount DVD - this is a great chance for anyone who hasn't picked this up yet. Buy.com's price is even cheaper than DDD would sell it for during the 20% sale.
Old 10-06-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
Someone may have already mentioned this, but....

Buy.com is selling The Critic (The Complete Series) starring Jon Lovitz, a great show, for $22.99. You'll have to tack something else on, but if you compare with other vendors prices on the set - Amazon $45 and $37 at Deep Discount DVD - this is a great chance for anyone who hasn't picked this up yet. Buy.com's price is even cheaper than DDD would sell it for during the 20% sale.
That doesn't stink! Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.