Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy/McDonald's Monopoly Game - Starts 10/3

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like one self addressed envelope per one outer envelope. Didn't some people send 3 SASE in one outer envelope last year? Also can they be sent out now or does the postmark have to be Offical start of game date?
Old 09-27-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Cow
Where is the free lunch part?
should have said, would have been a free lunch...
Old 09-27-06, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

how do the best buy bucks work for tvs and everything along those lines?
i.e. how much can u spend on a $200 tv?
Old 09-27-06, 11:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Because you get more game pieces than you could ever possibly eat (or want to). You're paying 78 cents to get a $1 or $5 BB cert, plus potentially free food as well. So you're guaranteed to save money at best buy. If you send in for 100 of them, you're paying $78.00. Based on the distribution of $1 vs. $5 stamps, you'll get 8 $5 ones and 92 $1 ones. Thus, $132 for your $78 spent. Thus, 41% off. Could be more, could be less, based on the actual number of $5 stamps received, but you're guaranteed to save 22% even if you have the worst luck in the world...
Cool - Can someone post the actual procedure that needs to be followed.
Old 09-28-06, 01:25 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd exercise caution when not hand-writing envelopes. The rules are pretty vague, but it says:

Requests that are sent in business reply envelopes, that are photocopied, mechanically reproduced or not mailed in separate outer envelopes will NOT be honored.

From: http://monopoly.promotions.com/monop...age=rules.html

I sent in well over 500 entries last year (only got a few of the rules returned) and hand wrote them all. With sending in $.78 for each entry, just not worth the risk, IMO.
Old 09-28-06, 08:47 AM

Disappointed its on Chicken this time.

I think I will be trying the envelopes this time.
Old 09-28-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So we can use up to 200$ worth of stamps towards a TV or stereo?

Is the 3$ limit only for dvds/cds?
Old 09-28-06, 11:04 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So we can use up to 200$ worth of stamps towards a TV or stereo?

Is the 3$ limit only for dvds/cds?
Yes and yes.

Last year, one could use BBB for the entire amount of a DVD/CD. That might or might not be the case this year. Also, BBB are not allowed to be applied to any DVDs/CDs that are on sale (in store).

I used $300 towards several bigger-ticket items last year. I had no problems (they do photocopy your license).

Last edited by mbs; 09-28-06 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I might have to try the mail-in thing this year. I can get all of the postage I want from work (my office doesn't keep track of stamps/postage because we deal with a lot of outgoing mail), so anything I get will essentially be free money.

Last year, I just got coupons from food at McDonald's and the mix of $3 and $1 BBBs was exactly 50/50. I was eating chicken sandwiches, fries, and selects every day for a week for lunch and ended up getting fourteen $1 offs and fourteen $3 offs. They ran out of the BBBs about ten days into the promotion so I bailed.
Old 09-28-06, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I might have to try the mail-in thing this year. I can get all of the postage I want from work (my office doesn't keep track of stamps/postage because we deal with a lot of outgoing mail), so anything I get will essentially be free money.
With the sudden huge increase in stamp disappearance, I hope somebody in your company won't be cracking down. It sure won't be worth it if you lose your job over this.

"Be like a ninja."
Old 09-28-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Hmm maybe I'll go crazy and get enough for a nice iPod or HD DVD player.
Old 09-28-06, 02:27 PM

Think I may actually try it this year. Do you guys just dump 100 envelopes in a mailbox all at once, or do you spread it out over time?
Old 09-28-06, 07:58 PM

I tried the SASE method last year, sent about 50 envelopes, only got about 10 back. And last year it DID say the envelopes had to be handwritten. And you could only use $3 at a time on DVDs/CDs (but you could use more if you used the BBBucks online).
Old 09-28-06, 09:39 PM

I received all of my envelopes back last year and I sent them in late in the game. Not sure I want to deal with BB though, still haven't returned after how I was treated last year.
Old 09-28-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been on a diet recently, have dropped quite a bit. There's no friggin way that I'm going to be eating fries and big macs this year so I want to go the mail-in route.

So when you mail in a SASE, they send you one or two coupons?

And how exactly do you handle the envelopes? Do you sort of fold a #10 envelope inside the other?

And it's probalby too early, but is it thought that they can be used on-line? (which is the way to avoid stupid employees) And I wonder if they'll be cracking down on people who try to use a code both online and in-store.

Last edited by Heat; 09-28-06 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Whoah, didnt' know this was that good of a deal. Why does it specifically cost 78 cents, and how many stamps per envelope do you get? Where is the address given?

Too many questions, I know.
Old 09-28-06, 11:37 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by Heat
So when you mail in a SASE, they send you one or two coupons?

And how exactly do you handle the envelopes? Do you sort of fold a #10 envelope inside the other?

And it's probalby too early, but is it thought that they can be used on-line? (which is the way to avoid stupid employees) And I wonder if they'll be cracking down on people who try to use a code both online and in-store.
- You get one (1) Best Buy buck and two game pieces (which consists of a total of 4 monopoly stamps per SASE sent. At least that is what we got last year. But definately one BBB (what we all really want) per SASE.

- I use smaller envelopes that fit in the larger envelopes. No folding needed. I used them last year with no problem (seemed to be what most people were doing).

- Yes, they can be used on-line just like last year. They have individual codes that can be used (maximum of 40 codes applied per order). The rules state they can be used online this year as well.

Last edited by mbs; 09-28-06 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 11:37 PM

The 78 cents would be the 2 stamps you need - one for the outer envelope and one for the inner, self-addressed return envelope ^_^
Old 09-28-06, 11:39 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Whoah, didnt' know this was that good of a deal. Why does it specifically cost 78 cents, and how many stamps per envelope do you get? Where is the address given?
It is less of a good deal this year, but still not terrible if you have the free time to write all the envelopes.

It costs $0.78 because you need one stamp to get your SASE there and the one stamp on your SASE. So two stamps.

You'll get 1 BBB per envelope. This year 11-in-12 will be $1 BBBs and 1-in-12 will be $5 BBB. Worst case scenario is that you are paying $0.78 for a dollar worth of goods at Best Buy.
Old 09-29-06, 03:23 AM

I agree, not as good as last year, but still not too bad. Especially if you decide to use the BBB online and in-store, which may or may not be against the official rules, but in any case is likely unethical. Did that last year with some of my BBB since the online code and the instore scan codes are different. Had no problems doing so last year to make up for some of my SASE that were returned with copies of the rules and no BBB, but YMMV this year.

I just hope that when redeeming online we're able to spend more than $3 per DVD like we were able to last year. That is what made this a deal for me. I'll wait until they start giving these out instore to see if the codes work the same way online before sending away for 100-200 or so. Did lots more that than last year, but it was a better deal and this year I don't need as much junk from BB.
Old 09-29-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick question: On the inner envelope, do you think that there is a need to put the McDonalds address in the return address portion?

And we can start mailing these now?
Old 09-29-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so you mail them in instead of eating at mcdonalds? or do you need to mail in what mcdonalds gives you to get the coupons?
Old 09-29-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
so you mail them in instead of eating at mcdonalds? or do you need to mail in what mcdonalds gives you to get the coupons?
The way this works is that you send in a SASE and get a Best Buy Buck (BBB) and one or two game pieces. No, you don't mail in what McDonalds gives you, you just mail in a SASE. You’ve spent about 81 cents (including envelopes) but you get $1 in BBB back (with a chance of $5 in BBB), plus a chance of free food on the game pieces.

Best Buy Bucks.
$1 Best Buy Buck: … Odds of collecting are approximately 1 in 1.08
$5 Best Buy Buck: … Odds of collecting are approximately 1 in 12.4

The odds of winning a McDonald's Food Prize over the course of the Game are approximately 1 in 7.2.
Let’s say that you mail in 100 envelopes. On average you will get back:

Eight $5 BBB, worth $40
Ninety-two $1 BBB, worth $92
Fourteen (or twenty-eight?) coupons for various free McDonalds food items.

So you’ve spent about $81 but get back $132 in Best Buy Bucks, plus some free food.

Here are the rules:

http://monopoly.promotions.com/monop...age=rules.html

Without Purchase. To request a Game Piece without making a purchase at McDonald's, persons in the United States, Guam, Saipan and American Samoa may mail a Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope (SASE) with sufficient postage and their return address (name, street address, city, state, country, and zip code) legibly printed thereon to: MONOPOLY® 2006 Game at McDonald's, Game Piece Request, P.O. Box 49434, Strongsville, OH 44149. Vermont residents with a return address located in Vermont may omit return postage. DO NOT SEND POTENTIAL WINNING GAME STAMPS, COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS TO THIS ADDRESS. Each request must be mailed in a separate outer envelope. Requests that are sent in business reply envelopes, that are photocopied, mechanically reproduced or not mailed in separate outer envelopes will NOT be honored. The return address and SASE mailing address must be the same address or the request will NOT be honored. One (1) Game Piece and one (1) Chance Piece will be mailed in response to each request, while supplies last. Mail-in requests must be postmarked no later than October 30, 2006, and received no later than November 6, 2006. If the Game runs long in restaurants, these dates are subject to a corresponding extension.
Old 09-29-06, 11:20 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by Heat
Quick question: On the inner envelope, do you think that there is a need to put the McDonalds address in the return address portion?

And we can start mailing these now?
No need for return address on the inner SASE envelope. You do need a matching return address on the outer envelope.

It doesn't specify when they can be sent. The game officially doesn't start until October 3, so I am waiting until that day to send. With no official word, I'm taking the safe route and waiting for the start of the game. (I got into it a bit late last year, but I think most people waited until the start date to send.)
Old 09-29-06, 11:33 AM

Ya know when using the best buy bucks last year I had some trouble and some goodluck... Once I got this rude girl who wasn't very nice and only let me use 1 buck for each purchase.....but then I went another time to buy the Avonlea Season 1 box set and the guy was really cool. He let me use all $17 worth of best buy bucks I had! So you know what, it just depends on what kind of person you get at the register...Same thing happens when I pricematch, some are very nice and heplful and some are complete &^$%!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.